Author Topic: Jari Litmanen  (Read 49254 times)

Offline Classycara

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Re: Jari Litmanen
« Reply #400 on: November 26, 2018, 11:25:47 PM »
Sturridge V Sevilla is the quintessential example of the 'lost goal' genre, up there with Crespo's second in Istanbul. Still upsets me to this day that Daniel's came to nothing. 

I think that will always be my favourite non Liverpool goal ever. Just perfection. And we beat the guys who did that

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:00 PM »
His goal at Leverkusen is one of our great ‘lost’ goals. Should be talked about as a brilliant individual goal that took us to the semis of the European Cup and instead I’m not even sure I’ve seen it since the night of the game!
One of life's great mysteries on why Houllier took off Hamann when we were leading the tie with about 10 minutes to go.

We threw that tie away on that sole decision, Would have been playing United in the semi's and we were far better than them in the league that season and did the league double over them as well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:41:27 PM by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Bjornar

• Anny Roader
« Reply #402 on: November 26, 2018, 11:42:33 PM »
4-4 vs Arsenal 2009 and 3-3 vs Palace 2014 for me for heartbreaking outcomes, yet at the same time awe-inspiring displays of heart and courage. Band of Brothers-like stuff.

Also the 4-4 CL quarter final against Chelsea in 09, talk about never giving up.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:45:31 PM by Bjornar »
Welcome to Bologna on Capital Gold for England versus San Marino with Tennent's Pilsner, brewed with Czechoslovakian yeast for that extra Pilsner taste and England are one down.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer
« Reply #403 on: November 27, 2018, 12:01:05 AM »
I think that will always be my favourite non Liverpool goal ever. Just perfection. And we beat the guys who did that

Is it the best ever assist in a major final? I’m struggling to think of a better one.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #404 on: November 27, 2018, 03:00:04 PM »
4-4 vs Arsenal 2009 and 3-3 vs Palace 2014 for me for heartbreaking outcomes, yet at the same time awe-inspiring displays of heart and courage. Band of Brothers-like stuff.

Also the 4-4 CL quarter final against Chelsea in 09, talk about never giving up.

We completely bossed Arsenal in that 4-4 game. It was so 1-sided that they probably only had 4 shots in the whole game.  Unbelievable result.

I have more vivid memories of Chelsea beating us 3-1 at Anfield than I do of the 4-4 which was a disappointing result given how well we started.  Hiddink did to us what we did to many teams that season and completely shut us down on the left flank in particular.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Bjornar

• Anny Roader
« Reply #405 on: November 27, 2018, 10:36:13 PM »
We completely bossed Arsenal in that 4-4 game. It was so 1-sided that they probably only had 4 shots in the whole game. 

Haven´t checked, but my guess is that´s true, and if so Arshavin had all four of those shots.

The 4-4 games against Arsenal and Chelsea happened in the same week. In the same period, we scored 4 goals or more in six out of eight games (all important crunch games, not ones where we were coasting). Seems quite strange now, seeing as Rafa is seen by most as quite a  conservative manager in retrospect.
Welcome to Bologna on Capital Gold for England versus San Marino with Tennent's Pilsner, brewed with Czechoslovakian yeast for that extra Pilsner taste and England are one down.

Offline Classycara

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #406 on: November 27, 2018, 11:25:06 PM »
The 4-4 games against Arsenal and Chelsea happened in the same week.

I was at both those games and had no recollection they were the same week, no idea how I wasn't broken by it!

Fabianski and Arshavin absolutely fucked us in the Arsenal game. While we were fucked before the Chelsea one kicked off, by Riise's right foot not appearing to work

Offline Phil M

• RAWK’s most prolific poster. (NB. Hit 50k posts and someone at the top didn't like it!) Currently the subject of a Rawk mod conspiracy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • “Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #407 on: November 28, 2018, 04:05:23 PM »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline GucciMane

• GucciMane, Oh Oh Oh Oh... GucciMane, Oh Oh Oh Oh... He came from Se-ne-gal... To teach us about the foot-ball...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #408 on: November 29, 2018, 02:37:53 AM »
One of life's great mysteries on why Houllier took off Hamann when we were leading the tie with about 10 minutes to go.

We threw that tie away on that sole decision, Would have been playing United in the semi's and we were far better than them in the league that season and did the league double over them as well.
That game had me gutted. Did Leverkusen go to the final at year? The legendary Zidane volley? That would have been amazing..

Online BIG DICK NICK

• is a cushy number for the Plod who work in this largely crime free suburb. Ate two, Brucey. Thread locker extraordinaire. Might answer to Nick CRoxy. Imaginary cock prognosticator. Has experience of being a bit of a twat. VERY well drilled at the back!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #409 on: November 29, 2018, 08:48:27 AM »
That game had me gutted. Did Leverkusen go to the final at year? The legendary Zidane volley? That would have been amazing..

Yeah, they knocked United out on Away goals in the semis. Imagine a Champions League semi against United! We’d beaten them 5 times in a row at that point as well (obviously you could argue that would begin to even itself out).

Final was at Hampden.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer
« Reply #410 on: November 29, 2018, 12:06:57 PM »
'Lost' for different reasons than the above goals but I've always thought Gerrard's first in the 06 FA Cup Final seems to be forgotten. The way he shapes his body to hit it at an awkward height, the positioning, the power. It's rare to see any shot hit with such ferocity, let alone with such accuracy, let alone in a cup final to equalise.

Obviously it got eclipsed by one of the very best goals in English football history, but still was a beautiful goal.

Online BIG DICK NICK

• is a cushy number for the Plod who work in this largely crime free suburb. Ate two, Brucey. Thread locker extraordinaire. Might answer to Nick CRoxy. Imaginary cock prognosticator. Has experience of being a bit of a twat. VERY well drilled at the back!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #411 on: November 29, 2018, 01:09:19 PM »
'Lost' for different reasons than the above goals but I've always thought Gerrard's first in the 06 FA Cup Final seems to be forgotten. The way he shapes his body to hit it at an awkward height, the positioning, the power. It's rare to see any shot hit with such ferocity, let alone with such accuracy, let alone in a cup final to equalise.

Obviously it got eclipsed by one of the very best goals in English football history, but still was a beautiful goal.

His assist for Cisse wasn’t half bad either!

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer
« Reply #412 on: November 30, 2018, 03:58:02 PM »
His assist for Cisse wasn’t half bad either!

Just watched it back, you're right. Completely forgot about it. It's fucking unbelievable. If Alonso or Pirlo had played that ball people would still be talking about it now. With Gerrard, being able to pull off things like that were just a small part of his game! God I miss him.

Online BIG DICK NICK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #413 on: November 30, 2018, 04:10:07 PM »
Just watched it back, you're right. Completely forgot about it. It's fucking unbelievable. If Alonso or Pirlo had played that ball people would still be talking about it now. With Gerrard, being able to pull off things like that were just a small part of his game! God I miss him.

Quite similar to the one he created for Owen against Newcastle which often gets brought up. That was more in a plate I guess.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer
« Reply #414 on: November 30, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »
Quite similar to the one he created for Owen against Newcastle which often gets brought up. That was more in a plate I guess.

Great shout, that was a beauty as well! Almost as important too iirc - I think that was the goal that secured our place in the 04/05 Champions League.

I love how the Litmanen thread has descended into how awesome Gerrard was. It's like Godwin's Law for Liverpool fans - "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of talking about how fucking brilliant Gerrard was approaches 1".

Online BIG DICK NICK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #415 on: November 30, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »
Great shout, that was a beauty as well! Almost as important too iirc - I think that was the goal that secured our place in the 04/05 Champions League.

I love how the Litmanen thread has descended into how awesome Gerrard was. It's like Godwin's Law for Liverpool fans - "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of talking about how fucking brilliant Gerrard was approaches 1".

“Wake up Godwin! We’ve scored”

Bonus point for anyone who gets that reference.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Believer
« Reply #416 on: November 30, 2018, 11:07:49 PM »

Nah, we had already qualified. It was getting billed as the game to decide who would qualify for weeks beforehand but then we won 3 on the bounce, including away at Old Trafford, and Newcastle drew with Southampton in the mid-week to put it beyond reach.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #417 on: November 30, 2018, 11:39:17 PM »
Would be an amazing sub in this side with all the movement ahead of him

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer
« Reply #418 on: December 1, 2018, 10:41:44 AM »
Nah, we had already qualified. It was getting billed as the game to decide who would qualify for weeks beforehand but then we won 3 on the bounce, including away at Old Trafford, and Newcastle drew with Southampton in the mid-week to put it beyond reach.

Your memory is better than Gerrard's defence splitting passes!

“Wake up Godwin! We’ve scored”

Bonus point for anyone who gets that reference.