Author Topic: WWE/Other Wrestling Thread  (Read 3579046 times)

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Believer
WWE/Other Wrestling Thread
« on: April 1, 2006, 09:53:12 PM »
Anyone gonna be watching? Severly tempted but can't really justify the £15 the rip off c*nts at sky want for the ppv.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 07:11:26 PM by Huyton Phil (raptor™) »

Offline Rizla

• Believer
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
Re: Wrestlemania 22
« Reply #1 on: April 1, 2006, 10:02:30 PM »
Do grown men really watch this shit?

Let alone pay money for it. Brothers used to watch it but thankfully it was a phase they soon grew out of. Never saw the appeal of it to be honest. Campness in the extreme :P

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Believer
« Reply #2 on: April 1, 2006, 10:05:18 PM »
Do grown men really watch this shit?

Offline Taylor_LFC

• Whopper who didn't make it to Porto
  • Believer
  • SOS
« Reply #3 on: April 1, 2006, 10:06:38 PM »
Anyone gonna be watching? Severly tempted but can't really justify the £15 the rip off c*nts at sky want for the ppv.

Ye i'll watch this, best PPV of the year although sky fuckin rippin us off again. :wanker

hoonin

« Reply #4 on: April 1, 2006, 10:07:58 PM »
Isn't American wrestling just a kids equivalent of Jerry Spinger ???

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Rizla

• Believer
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #6 on: April 1, 2006, 10:10:03 PM »

Miles fucking better than WWE...with the addition a couple of devils horns on Gary Neville ;)

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Believer
« Reply #7 on: April 1, 2006, 10:10:35 PM »
Isn't American wrestling just a kids equivalent of Jerry Spinger ???
Yes, but entertaining nonetheless. Always used to have Mondays off so watching a PPV from 1am till 5am on a Sunday night was no bother, likewise baseball on at a similar hour. I guess this Monday to Friday lark does have it's downsides.

Offline Eve

• Banned from the Marriott
  • Believer
« Reply #8 on: April 1, 2006, 10:12:48 PM »
At least you have a job now.  :P

As for the wrestling, would be tempted (out of boredom) but alas have no sky and a minus size tv so guess I'm out.

hoonin

« Reply #9 on: April 1, 2006, 10:15:35 PM »
Fair enough. If it's entertaining then who's to argue, its why we all watch TV!

Not really my bag though to be honest. Can think of numerous other ways to shell out 15 quid to keep me awake til 5am....

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #10 on: April 1, 2006, 11:20:59 PM »
I stopped watching Wrestling properly a few years ago..but Wrestlemania is usually a pretty shit hot show.

They pull out all the stops for that one.

I don't have Sky either though, so I'm fooked.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Believer
« Reply #11 on: April 1, 2006, 11:22:08 PM »

:lmao talk about a picture paints a thousand words

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #12 on: April 1, 2006, 11:28:38 PM »

Got a mate taping it for me.  Balls to paying 15 quid for it. :D

Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.

There's only one thing i hate more than lying: Skimmed milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Believer
« Reply #13 on: April 1, 2006, 11:31:25 PM »
I don't know how anybody can call it entertainment, a load of bellends upto their eyeballs in steroids pretending to fight each other.

Offline jward85

• Believer
  • Justice For The 96 - We Will Not Forget
« Reply #14 on: April 1, 2006, 11:33:23 PM »
I don't know how anybody can call it entertainment, a load of bellends upto their eyeballs in steroids pretending to fight each other.

Like most action films then?
Justice for the 96
RTK

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #15 on: April 1, 2006, 11:34:20 PM »

While that is basically what it is, they can put on a pretty good dramatic show.

Bit like going to the circus, you know its a load of twats poncing about in make up, but if you get a good one, they make you forget that, and enjoy the show.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Believer
« Reply #16 on: April 1, 2006, 11:34:37 PM »
Got a mate taping it for me.  Balls to paying 15 quid for it. :D

Isn't it macrovision protected?

Offline Eve

• Believer
« Reply #17 on: April 1, 2006, 11:39:32 PM »
No they don't Graeme.  Think most people watch it because it is so far fetched. 

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #18 on: April 1, 2006, 11:41:40 PM »
Isn't it macrovision protected?

Pretty sure he's taped some of the other PPV shows before so i guess not, i've never done it myself though.

I'll try and find out.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2006, 11:43:53 PM by rknowlesy »
Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.

There's only one thing i hate more than lying: Skimmed milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

Offline WelshMike

• Believer
« Reply #19 on: April 1, 2006, 11:44:53 PM »
I was told that you couldn't tape PPVs on Sky Box Office a while back but I've done it several times and it's worked fine.

I'll be watching with a few mates, should be good.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline Tommy316

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop.
    • Liverpool FC
« Reply #20 on: April 2, 2006, 12:17:18 AM »
The card for this year's WrestleMania is so fucking weak and for the first time in, well, ever, I'm considering not ordering it. I probably will though ;D

For everybody who is anti-wrestling, us grown up fans watch it for the same reason some of you guys will watch boxing, golf, hockey, or any other sport for that matter. That sport entertains you. Now, we know wrestling is "fake" (very bad term to use, remember Mankind being chucked from the top of a cage through a table, is that fake?) but it entertains us. It's entertaining to see good wrestlers in a good wrestling match (a good wrestling match is a rarity in WWE these days, which is why I've started to watch TNA and ROH more), doing all sorts of holds and flips and stuff. It's not because we enjoy watching greased up men in tight pants.

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #21 on: April 2, 2006, 12:18:46 AM »
we enjoy watching greased up men in tight pants.

thats why then ;D
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Lee-Block105

• Still refuses to sleep with the moderators to get a custom title
  • Believer
  • Liverpool 14
« Reply #22 on: April 2, 2006, 12:23:46 AM »
PPLIVE nothing better, cant see me watching cos am up at bells on th monday but would love to.
Ticket Exchange Trade Count 300+

Offline Eve

• Believer
« Reply #23 on: April 2, 2006, 12:31:33 AM »
As well as it being fake it still hurts to be thrown around the place and to get hit by chair, table etc... even in the line of entertainment.

Offline WelshMike

• Believer
« Reply #24 on: April 2, 2006, 12:35:17 AM »
The card for this year's WrestleMania is so fucking weak and for the first time in, well, ever, I'm considering not ordering it. I probably will though ;D

It is quite weak, but the main events are much better than last year.

Smackdown's main event should be very good, the Shawn v Vince thing is a good story if nothing else, Ladder match guarantees some good moments [although Finlay, Matt Hardy, what the fuck?], Edge v Foley should be quality, although some of the Smackdown matches are going to be quite boring ..
TEAMWORK

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Believer
« Reply #25 on: April 2, 2006, 12:48:09 AM »
I used to absolutely love the WWF, and if you say you didn't, your a liar. I still throw it on now and again when I get in bevvied, for a laugh. People who go on saying 'Oh its fake' yes we know its fake, its a show that is supposed to entertain.

I would have loved to watch Wrestlemaina 22, it's always the big one WM isn't it? Well the Royal Rumble was better, but still. Some good memories of staying up til 4 bells, then going into school fucked the next day have just come back. Actually the PPV when Owen Hart died live on air, was on when I took my GCSE's, I still stayed up and watched it though, and done suprisingly well the next day.

But no way, am I giving them c*nts at Sky £15, shame as I would have loved to watch this. :-\

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #26 on: April 2, 2006, 12:48:14 AM »
What do you mean by "weak"? It's all fixed anyway, so surely it doesn't matter who's "fighting"?

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #27 on: April 2, 2006, 12:49:51 AM »
Is the undertaker still eeeeeeeevil? Used to love when he made the children in the crowd cry :lmao
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #28 on: April 2, 2006, 12:54:40 AM »
Is the undertaker still eeeeeeeevil? Used to love when he made the children in the crowd cry :lmao

My mum bought me a poster of him when I was younger and put it above my bed.

Every night I had the same nightmare of him gauging my eyes out and then eating them...

Offline Tommy316

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop.
    • Liverpool FC
« Reply #29 on: April 2, 2006, 12:56:28 AM »
What do you mean by "weak"? It's all fixed anyway, so surely it doesn't matter who's "fighting"?

Weak means that the overall card is not good for a WrestleMania. Yeah, it's fixed but the Angle/Orton/Rey match will be a lot more entertaining than the Boogeyman/Booker T match, as the former are all better wrestlers or entertainers.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #30 on: April 2, 2006, 01:08:06 AM »
It is quite weak, but the main events are much better than last year.

Smackdown's main event should be very good, the Shawn v Vince thing is a good story if nothing else, Ladder match guarantees some good moments [although Finlay, Matt Hardy, what the fuck?], Edge v Foley should be quality, although some of the Smackdown matches are going to be quite boring ..

I reckon the card this year is stronger than last and its shaping up to be an awesome show. Angle/Mysterio/Orton is obviously the one that looks great like you say and Edge/Foley looks special. The ladder match will be class but come on lad 'Matt Hardy, what the fuck?' If you know your Mania history Matt Hardy is a fucking ladder match legend! That will be a cracker. Looking forward to the whole Bret Hart induction too, think he might have a hand in the Vince/HBK bout.

Yes it is staged and yes the matches are predetermined, but the athleticism and skill that goes into wrestling impresses the hell out of me. I think a lot of people like to slag it off before they give it a chance, its a hell of a lot of fun, its ridiculous but people forget nearly all the competitors are successes as sportsmen before they enter the business - look at Angle, an Olympic champion nonetheless. Its part sport, part soap and I'd much rather watch it than fucking Eastenders or some shite like that. A great match is a piece of art and when it comes down to it... WrestleMania always delivers! Get a few beers, pizza, split the £15 and you're laughin...
« Last Edit: April 2, 2006, 01:10:04 AM by Neil D »

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Believer
« Reply #31 on: April 2, 2006, 01:09:54 AM »
Neil, you seem to know your shit, whatever happened to Jeff Hardy? He always seemed the more talented of the pair to me. As you say the Tables, Ladders and Chairs matches he used to do back when I watched it regularly were amazing. ???

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Believer
« Reply #32 on: April 2, 2006, 01:13:19 AM »
Neil, you seem to know your shit, whatever happened to Jeff Hardy? He always seemed the more talented of the pair to me. As you say the Tables, Ladders and Chairs matches he used to do back when I watched it regularly were amazing. ???
Both the Hardy's got fired I believe, not watched it much over the last three years. Matt is now back whilst Jeff was done for steroid abuse.

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Believer
« Reply #33 on: April 2, 2006, 01:14:24 AM »
Steroid abuse? He always looked a bit of a skinny c*nt to me, or one of the "high-flyers" should I say.

Offline WelshMike

• Believer
« Reply #34 on: April 2, 2006, 01:16:55 AM »
Fair enough. Matt should be very good in the match ... I just hope he gets nowhere near winning it. He could easily be a top contender if they gave him the chance [which is surely what they had the chance to do when he returned], but alas. The 'what the fuck' was more aimed at Finlay. I'd rather see geuine up-and-comers like Carlito in there over him and Flair, who must only be in there cos he's got fuck all else to do.
TEAMWORK

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #35 on: April 2, 2006, 01:18:46 AM »
I always thought Jeff was the one who was gonna make it big too, reminded me of a young HBK, always thought the Hardy Boyz were like The Rockers and Jeff was Shawn to Matt Hardy's Marty Jannety!

From what I heard Jeff Hardy liked to dabble with more than just steroids, think he was given quite a few chances and never showed the ambition Vince and the writers had hoped. WWE is almost like a modern circus, they're constantly on tour from state to state with only a few days holiday a year and that's if you're a big star and can afford to take time off. They never see their families... I reckon if you're heart wasn't in it you wouldn't last long. Think Jeff is in TNA now, bit small time.

Me and my brother started watching WWF when we were about eight and had cable, all my mates would come round, I loved it. Sounds like you were into it around the same time I started watching it again after a break (my mum ended the cable subscription!) around WM17. That was a classic and the TLC was unbelieveable... HHH v Taker was magic and Rock v Austin too. Its gone downhill since that period with Austin, Rock, Foley and HHH all at their peak. last couple of years have picked up though, since WM20.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Believer
« Reply #36 on: April 2, 2006, 01:22:27 AM »
a minus size tv

Only one man to blame.

Offline WelshMike

• Believer
« Reply #37 on: April 2, 2006, 01:22:34 AM »
One 'interesting' thing that I've only just picked up on is that there are no inter-promotional matches this year. I don't think HBK and Angle ever had that final match that decided a clear winner, so it would be nice to see them again in a few months. It wouldn't surprise me to see HBK traded since he's never been on Smackdown [I don't think], and to set up this fight. Otherwise the nearest for an interpromotional PPV is Summerslam, unless I'm mistaken.
TEAMWORK

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Believer
« Reply #38 on: April 2, 2006, 01:23:01 AM »
Yeah as you say, I grew up with it back in the Hulk Hogan / Ultimate Warrior/ Bret Hart / Mr Perfect etc days, then stopped watching as I got older. But I started watching again when Stone Cold and Vince had that feud that went on for about 2 years, and The Rock and DX etc came into it. Stopped watching again (cause my bird at the time used to rip me over it :P ) but I've been chucking it on now and again lately, for old times sake. :)

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #39 on: April 2, 2006, 01:27:15 AM »
Fair enough. Matt should be very good in the match ... I just hope he gets nowhere near winning it. He could easily be a top contender if they gave him the chance [which is surely what they had the chance to do when he returned], but alas. The 'what the fuck' was more aimed at Finlay. I'd rather see geuine up-and-comers like Carlito in there over him and Flair, who must only be in there cos he's got fuck all else to do.

True, true. They always waste talent like Matt and push some twat like the Boogeyman. But the cream normally still rises to the top and if we're talking the ladder match its all about Benjamin for me, he's a pure athlete. Bit annoyed Benoit has been lumbered with carrying Jellybelly JBL. He's funny but a shit wrestler.

I actually think the only reason Angle was transferred to Smackdown was to fill the void left by the legend that was Eddie Guerrero, R.I.P. Bet he would have main-evented in that triple threat.