Author Topic: Heysel 23 Years On  (Read 31378 times)

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
Heysel 23 Years On
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:38:28 am »
In Memoria e Amicizia, in Memory and Friendship
  Sunshine Turns Into A Dark, Dark Night 
A Wednesday afternoon off work, to be at Anfield to queue early, to get in for the European Cup Semi-Final against Panathinaikos of Greece. Imagine that these days, paying on the gate for a Euro Semi….What time would you need to get there ?

We were one of the early ones onto the Kop, around 5.30pm-ish if my memory serves me right and a wait around whilst the ground filled up to capacity around us. We couldn’t risk leaving it any later was our thinking; we had to be in that ground that night.
The reds progressed into another European Cup Final after an easy win over the Greek side (who had a noisy following), winning 3-0 at home and then 1-0 in Greece.

We decided to take the official trip by train from Lime Street and ferry from Dover to Ostend, followed by a further train into Brussels itself. Can’t remember how much it was (or if any loyalty was needed for final tickets) but I’m sure I scrapped the money together because I was only a year out of school and on first year apprentices wages (ie: very fucking little). It was that or the old Granddad dropped me a quid or two….that was more likely.
A passport was also needed….I wasn’t exactly Alan Whicker in those days, so a one year one was adequate and didn’t eat further into my Belgian beer budget.

Five of us went…..me, my mate and his bird, and another mate and his Dad. Train into Lime Street armed with my big Liverpool Are Magic banner (which incidentally ended up in the Kemlyn after Hillsborough and the flowers on the pitch) and some hidden alcohol for the long journey south.

We boarded the special and my mates bird got royally ruined by loads on board because she had a blue top on. Not a football top or anything, just a royal blue top the stupid cow. Now, who goes to a European Cup Final dressed in blue…….
Sayers had kindly donated a little picnic box for each passenger (I say donated but it was probably in the price) to keep away starvation, on what seemed a marathon trip ahead of us and probably a case of sleep depravation.

We arrived in Dover for the night ferry to Ostend, which was of course full of reds and numerous banners hanging around the boat (or is it a ship ?). I say night ferry because it was at night and very dark but it was only about 4 hours and I only had an outside bench for my bed of sorts and my banner for warmth. I could also get away from the two love birds for a couple of hours as well, who had been touchy feely all the way down, even though a chill wind was blowing across the channel.

I must have had a dodgy Sayers or my sea legs were all at sea but rumble tummy turned into pebble dash the shithouse halfway over and the rough looking scouser after me proceeds to abuse me for the smell I leave behind…..fuck off Anais Anais arse I shout…well whisper….well think about whispering !!

Off the boat at Ostend and herded onto a train to Brussels. It was them sort of trains that had their own compartments but the train was heaving full of tired reds. Fuck me Belgium is flat. For miles you can see fields after fields and pretty much fuck all else. No wonder it’s called the lowlands and no wonder we said a bird with no boobs at school was said to be as flat as Belgium or Holland….
We past the time trying to catch a power snooze (were they invented then ?) or sing a song or two, mainly about winning the European Cup again or about how shit Man U were.

Into Brussels and the sun is shining in the bright blue sky. We spend the afternoon drinking beer in the Grand Place, with a quick look round the surrounding area. The Manneken Pis, the famous landmark of a little boy having a piss bollock naked (strange these Belgium people or are they Flemish or German…..weird fuckers) had numerous red scarves round him and a nice bobble hat on top.
The square rapidly fills up but (and I comment to my mate) even that early in the day, things are not quite right and the square is filled with numerous accents (strange in those days) and St George flags and England shirts……not everyone but just enough to question about an England nutter following being onboard the reds bandwagon.

We hop onto a tram to take us the Heysel district and near to the Atomium (that construction that looks like some silver balls, with walkways between….I told you they were strange) and the ground.
The tram we got was heavily in favour of Juventus in numbers but plenty of good banter is had and I change a scarf for a Juve hat (which I still have somewhere in the house). The Italians were quite boisterous on the short journey out of the city centre and singing songs (in Italian of course), one of which the tune remains with me until this day.
My mate (and his girlfriend) wanted to go round the Atomium, so a half hour or so is wasted in that sweat box that seems to serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Not sure if it was because I was younger then but it just didn’t appeal to me – put it this way I’ve never been back after numerous visits to Brussels.

Off to round the ground and the first thing that strikes me is how out of date the outside looks. A prog is purchased from the shop and we make our way round to our entrance area, with very little security/police in attendance. The sun is shining so we relax and await gates opening, with the sound of horns in the air….I’m sure they all ran out before the ground even opened.
A mate of mine (who lived near me but didn’t travel with me) comes staggering round the corner absolutely shitfaced, in just shorts and trainers and he mumbles something about losing his passport and money. I hook him back up with the gang he traveled with and he must have made it home because I seen him a few weeks later, a little less pissed.

Gates open and flags are put up around the perimeter fence, including the juvenile but amusing Atkinson Has Aids banner, with reference to the then Man U manager Ron Atkinson.
I say perimeter fence but to the left of us it almost like chicken wire.
I’m sure anyone without a ticket that night had no trouble getting into the ground. Concrete slabs that made up the surrounding wall were easily removed and anyone who wanted to get in, did.
The terracing was also a joke for a match of this stature, it was crumbling for fuck sake.
The atmosphere was tense but nobody could have predicted the events that happened next.
What started as a bit of banter between the sets of fans grew and grew from verbal, to missile throwing, to finally charges at the chicken wire, which didn’t take long to come down.

The immense pressure in the so called neutral zone (full of Juve fans it looked) with the small but vicious band of so called Liverpool fans (I say so called because I didn’t think they were proper reds) charging them repeatedly. The police did next to nothing to stop it all. We also had the Italian’s coming from the other end to further antagonise the volatile situation.
The wall collapsed and there were rumours of some casualties but nothing confirmed (in the days before mobile phones) and we were mainly kept in the dark. Rumours of the game being cancelled went round our end but after appeals from Phil Neal, etc… the game went ahead with Juventus winning from an highly dubious penalty but who cared.

The idea we had was to get back to the trains as quick as possible because if the rumours turned out to be true, further serious trouble was inevitable and we didn’t want to be around to witness it. The journey home was very quiet and seemed to take twice as long but it didn’t in reality. Herded on to a train from Brussels to Ostend, ferry to Dover and then train back to Lime Street for the connection home….pretty uneventful but the full news of the dreadful night in Brussels had started to filter through.
It was only when we arrived back home that the full story hit us and the full impact hit the English games for many years to come.
I actually promised my girlfriend (future wife) that I wouldn’t go again….not sure if I meant abroad watching the reds or even ever watching them again anywhere but that promise was soon to be broken.

The bright sunshine had really turned into a dark, dark night for English football and Liverpool FC in particular.

RIP the 39……You’ll Never Walk Alone.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:09:11 am by Ben S »
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Online HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Heysel 23 Years On
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:41:15 am »
It doesn't seem like 23 years.

RIP

YNWA
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline andy_c

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 09:43:19 am »
Just looked on Juventus' official site and there's no mention of it today - struck me as a bit odd. Maybe they'll put something up later. I cant stand the expression "RIP" and I hate the "memory and friendship" thing as its pretty obvious that a large section of Juve fans dont want to be our mates. Instead I'll say "39 remembered" with dignity and respect.
The evil love child of Erik Meijer.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:52:10 am »
39 remembered.
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:52:19 am »
Rocco Acerra

Bruno Balli

Alfons Bos

Giancarlo Bruschera

Andrea Casula

Giovanni Casula

Nino Cerullo

Willy Chielens

Giuseppina Conti

Dirk Daenecky

Dionisio Fabbro

Jacques François

Eugenio Gagliano

Francesco Galli

Giancarlo Gonnelli

Alberto Guarini

Giovacchino Landini

Roberto Lorentini

Barbara Lusci

Franco Martelli

Loris Messore

Gianni Mastrolaco

Sergio Bastino Mazzino

Luciano Rocco Papaluca

Luigi Pidone

Bento Pistolato

Patrick Radcliffe

Domenico Ragazzi

Antonio Ragnanese

Claude Robert

Mario Ronchi

Domenico Russo

Tarcisio Salvi

Gianfranco Sarto

Giuseppe Spalaore

Mario Spanu

Tarcisio Venturin

Jean Michel Walla

Claudio Zavaroni

RIP
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Varun

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:56:00 am »
RIP the 39

Offline beebster

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 10:08:33 am »
Just looked on Juventus' official site and there's no mention of it today - struck me as a bit odd. Maybe they'll put something up later.

Look at the Italian version of the site (top right corner).
"Saaaaayyy, that's a lovely accent you have there, New Jersey?"

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:17:01 am »
doesn't seem like 23 years - as I said on another thread still got the Juventus scarf I swapped with one of their fans

39 - never forgotten
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:32 am »
Where have them 23 years gone  :(.

YNWA 39

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 10:40:33 am »
RIP.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:42:59 am »
R.I.P  the 39   :(

You’ll never walk alone.
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 10:43:29 am »
no doubt on the same train Nickoh.i had a little kip on the way to dover in the overhead luggage bit.
can you remember at one stage the train from Ostend stopping,and a group of around 12 100yrds away by a pool?
and before the game,we swapped cigars for bottles of wine with the juve fans.we also tried going into the main town, but got legged across the tram station.
not a good euro trip at all .especially as a 16 yr old.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 10:58:22 am »
doesn't seem like 23 years - as I said on another thread still got the Juventus scarf I swapped with one of their fans

and I've still got the Juve hat I swapped.

can you remember at one stage the train from Ostend stopping,and a group of around 12 100yrds away by a pool?

Your memory is better than mine.

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 11:00:47 am »
R I P

Offline LFC Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 11:45:14 am »
RIP 39.
"The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they don't know the game" - Bill Shankly

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 11:49:55 am »
In memoria e amicizia sempre.

Offline Redsfan

• Boys Pen
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 12:21:28 pm »
Thank you for taking time to post this, and to remember the 39.

Offline manchater

• Anny Roader
  • per ardua ad astra
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 12:58:26 pm »
To the 39 RIP

where has 23 years gone?
SOS Member 7030

all Liverpool fans should join the "I hate the fu***ng S*n Newspaper" on Facebook

When I go to the supermarket or newsagents I cover that rag up with other papers and  I encourage everyone else to do the same Countrywide

JFT96   YNWA     never ever buy the S*n

Offline sigismo

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 01:39:10 pm »
Ciao a tutti sono un tifoso della Juventus vorrei ringraziare tutti i tifosi del Liverpool per il pensiero rivolto alla tragedia dell'Heysel
Spero qualcuno traduca perche non parlo inglese ciao a tutti

Offline sigismo

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 01:49:10 pm »
http://www.juventus.it/site/ita/NEWS_newseventi_B35130C93804479C956374E05BFAEEB2.asp

Grazie !  and the English version

http://www.juventus.it/site/eng/NEWS_newseventi_DA9C16BDD1BD4FA29EAF888559A885D7.asp

Ciao a tutti sono un tifoso della Juventus vorrei ringraziare tutti i tifosi del Liverpool per il pensiero rivolto alla tragedia dell'Heysel

Grazie amico !  Siete sempre benvenuti qua ....

Translation:

Hello everyone. I'm a Juventus supporter and I would like to thank all Liverpool supporters for the thoughts about the Heysel Tragedy.

I hope someone will translate this because I don't speak English. Cheers everyone.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:04:30 pm by nige »

Offline NickoH

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 02:24:27 pm »

Grazie

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 02:42:22 pm »
I can remember it like it was yesterday. A horrible couple of days from start to finish for me. I travelled on a coach - by the sounds of it just as bad as the train journey.

I had never been to a Reds Euro away game and never have since - I just can't contemplate it. What a terrible venue for a prestigious football event. I couldn't believe how bad that stadium was.

I went back only last year as I was in Brussels on a work trip and was drawn to the stadium. I was hoping to see some sort of memorial but there was nothing obvious although it wasn't possible to get in to all areas of the stadium.

My heart goes out to the families of those who died.

Offline legoflamb

• Legacy Fan
  • A Likely Lid
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 03:08:47 pm »
In Memoria e Amicizia

I'm too young to remember Heysel, but as much as the 96, those 39 will never be forgotten.

RIP.

Offline AndrewLFC_1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 07:35:01 pm »
39 Remembered 29/05/85.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 08:29:23 pm »
Just stopped me for a few minutes this. So many memories of the day, wasnt there, glad about that, only time I have ever switched of a game half way through.

remembered the 39
#
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline PhilScraton

• Love and affection.....on the buses :) aka Fill Scratton.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 09:16:54 pm »
To all our friends at Juve,

We will never forget that night, the suffering, the pain and the misery for so many families. Whatever the failings of UEFA, the ticket allocation, the decrepit stadium and the dreadful policing young men wearing the colours of our Club must live with the deaths of those wearing the colours of Juventus on their consciences.

You are in our thoughts. Love and solidarity.
Phil
'Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for those who think differently' Rosa Luxemburg

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 09:26:06 pm »
doesnt quite feel like yesterday but i can remember a great day in the Grand Place in Brussels being washed away with all the sights of fighting and charging in the stadium,   its no wonder the Juve fans cant forgive after the violent events culminating in the senseless deaths of the 39 people in the stadium, putting it in perspective, us liverpool fans will never forgive a certain newspaper for less of a crime on April 15th 89.

i personally witnessed both of the black days in our history and hope to god never to hear about or see another event similar 

Offline Casarano

• Kemlynite
  • in Juventus I trust
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 09:51:08 pm »
hello

I'm a Juventus fan, boss of a Juventus fan forum

http://juventus.forumfree.net/

we appreciate very much your punctual back thinking to that tragic day.
Perhaps many of us stille hate you, but I hope that in future, between us and you, there'll be more and more peace and friendship.

You're ever welcome in my forum
In Memoria e Amicizia
In Memory and Friendship

Good luck for everything. See you soon ... mates  ;)  :wave

Offline ScouseAl

• Boys Pen
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 10:25:27 pm »
Can't believe it was 23 years ago tonight I was sitting in my ma and da's caravan in Anglesey as a 13 year old kid not believing what I was watching on television.

Why dit it happen?

I don't know, but I say a prayer for all those who lost their lives on that fateful night.  As a scouser born and bred it's something with time I've found harder and harder to get my head around.  The guilt grows as each day passes. 

RIP the 39.

Never forget

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4I39yBW3FU&feature=related

39 of you are no longer here,
Following your team,
The passion the dream
Of holding that cup aloft
We are ashamed
People point their fingers
Saying we were to blame
We didn't mean to cause the pain
That you feel
RIP the 39

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:07:31 pm by ScouseAl »

Offline Joxer

• Anny Roader
  • Rafas Redmen, We ride at dawn
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 11:47:43 pm »
hello

I'm a Juventus fan, boss of a Juventus fan forum

http://juventus.forumfree.net/

we appreciate very much your punctual back thinking to that tragic day.
Perhaps many of us stille hate you, but I hope that in future, between us and you, there'll be more and more peace and friendship.

You're ever welcome in my forum
In Memoria e Amicizia
In Memory and Friendship

Good luck for everything. See you soon ... mates  ;)  :wave

Thank you.
Sympathies and thoughts with the 39.
RIP
YNWA

Offline inky2

• Legacy Fan
  • RED FOREVER
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 11:47:06 am »
im in norway tonight, going with my brother and his mate to see bob dylan at the viking stadium and it just occurred to me that the last time we were in the same footy ground together was at heysel. just made me stop and think.

RIP the 39
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:49:13 am by inky2 »
TRACUTHB  *****

Offline terrymac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 12:23:58 pm »
a bad trip for a 16 year old like me --still havent forgotton what i saw--having said that in an era before cell phones and being a parent myself now, i think my parents are still scarred after watching it on tv and not knowing where their son was. They must have been regretting letting me go for doing well with my O levels.
While i seem to have a slightly different view than most of the night, football isnt a place to die and trust me the 39 arent just remembered on the anniversary for me.

Respect for the families of lost ones.
"Magna est veritas et prevalebit"   JFT96

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #33 on: June 3, 2008, 06:56:15 pm »
Respect to everyone for remembering. I , like many, cannot believe that nearly a quarter of a century has passed.

The first away I ever went to was the Baseball Ground, Derby away in 1972, Steve Highway etc, I loved it.
But if the truth be known our away support steadily polarised as the seventies wore on, the Spirit of Shankly and the Kop endured into the eighties but a dark vicious underbelly swelled as well. It wasnt unique to us, just look at the way attendances fell over that period around the country as each season seemd to vie with the next for terrace excess.In the league we were no worse than a number of clubs, but away in Europe our success attracted Europe regulars whose prime interest was not football, and put us in the vanguard of that movement.

In retrospect it is amazing what little impact it had on the domestic game.The blanket Euro ban was hard on a number of clubs, but it just had the effect of intensifying the Madness which was England Away, which carried on "business as usual". General terrace mayhem everywhere continued until that tragic day at Hiilsboro. For me Heysel was the nemesis of a violent, selfish, boorish period not specifically for us, but for English Football generally.It is easy to forget how bad things had become, and how much things have improved now.The behaviour of a section of our support that evening was routine at dozens of English grounds, from dozens of sets of fans, but it wasnt routine for a country ill prepared for it ,and 39 innocent victims.The decency of the response of much of our support was not enough to effect a sea change in attitudes.

The preparedness of many Reds to remember, and to continue to hold out the hand of friendship to those at Juve, is a real credit to everyone concerned.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2009, 08:12:48 pm by xerxes1 »
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #34 on: June 5, 2008, 12:10:01 am »
I was in the end where it happened about 20 yards away from the fence that separated us. People don't believe me when I say that most of us didn't know that anyone was killed until a British copper told us when we got off the train to board the ferry home. We knew something was wrong obviously but we couldn't see across to the corner where the wall collapsed. Someone said when we got on the train home from Brussells station that they'd heard that a fan had been killed. The fans in our carriage were genuinely shocked but when the news finally reached us what had really happened there was disbelief amongst everyone. It was only when we got back on the ferry and saw the news on the TV that it really began to sink in.
The day started very well. Arrived in Brussells early and spent the afternoon drinking in the sun. Didn't see any trouble at all and don't remember what time we got in the ground but the first thing we noticed was the Juve fans close to the fence in our end. Couldn't believe that, considering the trouble that the Roma fans had caused the year before and I thought that it was asking for trouble. Just never believed for one minute that there would be so much trouble.
The sickening thing is that the actual hand to hand violence that went on was not that bad. I have seen much much worse both in this country and on TV from abroad. The fact that the Juve fans trying to get away from the charge causing the wall to collapse in that useless stadium is the worst part of it. The fans that died weren't even involved in the violence that both sets of fans (and yes, both sets of fans were goading each other for a long time) were responsible for. That's the worst part isn't it. Totally innocent people were the ones that paid the price for the behaviour of a hooligan element on both sides, as well as the choice of stadium, the police and the pathetic organising of the whole event.
I couldn't get that night out of my system for a long time and probably never will. I was also in the Leppings lane at Hillsborough and managed to survive and these 2 days will live with many of us forever.
To all those who lost family members or friends at the Heysel, our thoughts are with you.
In Memoria e Amizicia.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 5, 2008, 08:53:25 am »
Redprodigal, to have witnessed BOTH tragedies must be hard to bear.
Like you I was unaware of the seriousness of the situation. The fact that there was NO enquiry defies belief.

I for one accept the culpablity of those who charged the Juve fans. BUT, what was a showpiece final doing in a ground like that anyway? It wasnt the dark ages and there were dozens of more suitable Stadia available.
Maybe UEFA didnt want to expose their "awarding procedure" at that time.
To be fair, the recent choice of stadia for finals, and the  forthcoming ones has been beyond reproach. I went to Athens and there was nothing wrong with that ground.

I always reflect on the oddity that Hillsboro wasnt hooliganism related, but transformed stadia, and that Heysel was, but didnt. And although the old Heysel was razed, it is a disgrace that billions of pounds later the Leppings Lane Stand remains largely unchanged.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #36 on: June 5, 2008, 09:37:55 am »
We were about the same distance away from the fence as you, Redprodigal. 

My feelings are the same as yours.  I'm not going to go into detail as to my thoughts as I invariably get slated for what I say. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline NickoH

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 5, 2008, 09:56:49 am »
it is a disgrace that billions of pounds later the Leppings Lane Stand remains largely unchanged.

Of course it has changed......all seats, no perimeter fencing and no fencing between pens are the three biggest changes that spring immediately to mind.

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 5, 2008, 10:03:27 am »
Of course it has changed......all seats, no perimeter fencing and no fencing between pens are the three biggest changes that spring immediately to mind.

I said "largely unchanged". The changes to which you refer are window dressing as far as I am concerned. If you are satisfied with that, thats ok, but i am not.

The stand should have been totally demolished and a new one put up in its place.A bit of a contrast to heysel isnt it?

Offline NickoH

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 5, 2008, 10:11:17 am »
I said "largely unchanged". The changes to which you refer are window dressing as far as I am concerned. If you are satisfied with that, thats ok, but i am not.

The stand should have been totally demolished and a new one put up in its place.A bit of a contrast to heysel isnt it?

Not disagreeing about the demolishing bit.

However, the changes I mentioned were some of the prime causes of the Hillsborough disaster and some of the changes they had to make with new legislation, etc....

Also, Heysel was in a much worse state (in general) than Hillsborough and would have still probably been torn down anyway within a few years of that 1985 game, even if the tragedy hadn't happened.