Author Topic: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0  (Read 42588 times)

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0
« Reply #560 on: February 20, 2019, 09:40:57 am »
I’m not sure what game half of you lot expected but I thought that was a great game.  We clearly created better chances and on a different night we win this 2-0.  Bayern played very well, very smart tactically, and got what they came for. 

See a lot of people blaming the “warm weather” training camp for us not scoring a hatful.  I’d say any issues in our play were because we hadn’t played in 10 days and lost some rhythm.  Nothing to do with going away. 

Same here. Really enjoyed the game and thought we were very good. Some of the stuff they played was great to watch. All set up for us to pinch it over there.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #561 on: February 20, 2019, 09:45:38 am »
Think Man U will be set up very similar to the way Bayern were - very compact as per their second half against the Toxics.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern
« Reply #562 on: February 20, 2019, 09:51:41 am »
On reflection it’s not a bad result. We looked (again) like we had been off for 11 days and didn’t have the crispness or the intensity you’d expect in a CL home leg. But I never felt under threat from Bayern, they barely laid a glove on us bar a few gifts in our own third we seemed intent on giving them.

With a run of games under our belt I can see us turning them over at the Allianz where Bayern won’t be so intent on slowing the game down and using every opportunity to waste time. They seemed like a Mourinho side at times, from minute one they wanted to kill the game with various theatrics and time wasting tactics.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:54:53 am by OneTouchFooty »

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #563 on: February 20, 2019, 09:56:42 am »
Before the game without VVD and Firmino having the virus, would have probably settled for a 0-0 draw. Was hoping we'd have been able to take one of those chances. 1-0 would have been great.

Don't think Bayern will be much different in the second leg. Can't really see them pushing both full backs up the park since they're not having to chase the game. Can see another cagey affair and both teams looking to get a goal on the break.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #564 on: February 20, 2019, 09:57:19 am »
I though Trents distribution was awful last night but that might have just been me. Any passing stats for him?

Yeah, it wasn't great at all. His pass completion rate was 59% from 49 passes.

That said, it is usually lower than everyone else's, in part because of the way our right flank operates with Salah very high. I do still think Gini can do a little more to offer him the inside pass, too.

Trent actually had a very solid defensive game last night whereas Robertson was pretty dreadful at both ends of the pitch. Given that we looked to be operating a diamond of sorts, we need so much more composure and quality from our full-backs against teams happy to sit back. As much we all love them, it's a recurring theme in my view. They looked a million miles away from Kimmich last night, as an example. Him being out of the second leg is massive for us.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:59:00 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #565 on: February 20, 2019, 09:59:06 am »
The only 0-0 first leg I can remember involving us was the first Chelsea semi and obviously the side who drew 0-0 at home went out there.

But I remember United drawing 0-0 away at Monaco and Real back in the day before being done on Away goals (or just battered in Real’s case).

Any other obvious ones I’ve missed?

How about Bayern Munich 1981?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #566 on: February 20, 2019, 09:59:38 am »
I seem to remember Yernited getting 0-0 draws away a couple of times in the latter stages in the mid/late 90s and then going out. Monaco and Dortmund spring to mind. As others have said, its not a particularly good result for the away side.

Edit, just seen Big Nicks post.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: February 20, 2019, 10:01:27 am »
I seem to remember Yernited getting 0-0 draws away a couple of times in the latter stages in the mid/late 90s and then going out. Monaco and Dortmund spring to mind. As others have said, its not a particularly good result for the away side.

Edit, just seen Big Nicks post.

United drew 0-0 away last year and went out didn't they?
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: February 20, 2019, 10:02:30 am »

East to forget it's his first start in an age too though. Thought he looked rusty, but also felt like him and robbo were given slightly different jobs last night to compenstate for missing VVD.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #569 on: February 20, 2019, 10:02:56 am »
United drew 0-0 away last year and went out didn't they?
Yes you’re right actually. Got totally schooled at OT 😆
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: February 20, 2019, 10:04:31 am »
East to forget it's his first start in an age too though. Thought he looked rusty, but also felt like him and robbo were given slightly different jobs last night to compenstate for missing VVD.

I did offer mitigation in the following lines, but you've snipped it...  ;)

Trent is often in the 60's and 70's in terms of pass completion percentage rate. It's nothing too alarming - it's more about our system than his shortcomings as a footballer. But we have to acknowledge that the shortcomings are there, too, as things stand. Like Trent, Kimmich found himself penned in on the touchline, often with more red shirts around him, but he kept possession for his side far more frequently.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:06:47 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Online Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: February 20, 2019, 10:07:58 am »

That said, it is usually lower than everyone else's, in part because of the way our right flank operates with Salah very high. I do still think Gini can do a little more to offer him the inside pass, too.

Trent actually had a very solid defensive game last night whereas Robertson was pretty dreadful at both ends of the pitch. Given that we looked to be operating a diamond of sorts, we need so much more composure and quality from our full-backs against teams happy to sit back. As much we all love them, it's a recurring theme in my view. They looked a million miles away from Kimmich last night, as an example. Him being out of the second leg is massive for us.
Agree about last night, thought both players were way below the standard required, but is it a recurring theme? Both have been excellent this season, Robertson especially, even if he's been a bit erratic in the last few games. It's a dip in form, I'm sure, usually both are superb fullbacks.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #572 on: February 20, 2019, 10:12:48 am »

Our build-up was always forced wide by Bayern. Matip, Fabinho or Alisson pass to TAA or Robertson, and they play it high or semi-high into Salah or Mané, sometimes overhead to chase. These balls lacked quality but were simply not on most of the time. Our midfield needs to be more active in offering outlets, because Mané and Salah can't build up an attack all by themselves. Whenever we were dangerous in the first half, it was because we managed to string together a few quick passes in midfield with Firmino.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:58 am »
Rafa-esque compactness. Nice 4-3-1-2 shape too

Quite nice to asee, I agree. Now, let's score some goals with that nice shape.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: February 20, 2019, 10:16:21 am »
Agree about last night, thought both players were way below the standard required, but is it a recurring theme? Both have been excellent this season, Robertson especially, even if he's been a bit erratic in the last few games. It's a dip in form, I'm sure, usually both are superb fullbacks.

They are both superb, there's no doubt about that. I've defended Trent on here loads. I'm simply talking at the very highest level here - because I believe they've both got the technical and mental ability to get there and, as such, I hold them to that standard. I'm just not convinced they're *quite* as there yet as some of our fan-base seem to think. Too often the ball goes long when they are placed under pressure. That's part system and part of what's going on (or not) around them, sure, but it's also partly what's happening in their brain and at their feet. And too often the final ball is lacking.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: February 20, 2019, 10:17:58 am »
Our build-up was always forced wide by Bayern. Matip, Fabinho or Alisson pass to TAA or Robertson, and they play it high or semi-high into Salah or Mané, sometimes overhead to chase. These balls lacked quality but were simply not on most of the time. Our midfield needs to be more active in offering outlets, because Mané and Salah can't build up an attack all by themselves. Whenever we were dangerous in the first half, it was because we managed to string together a few quick passes in midfield with Firmino.

Couldn't agree more there.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: February 20, 2019, 10:19:49 am »
If you're going to draw a home game in the CL knockout stages, draw it 0-0.
Just had a look at their results this season , here's an interesting one.
In 13 home games this season, the opposition side have scored in 10 of those games. The only teams who haven't scored there are AEK Athens, FC Numberg and Leipzig

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:33 am »
I was quite happy with 0-0 considering we have been ticking along at 7 for most of the season with the occasional brilliant game and the odd performance that was flat. Pretty much was our performance last night, a good first half where somehow someway we couldnt hit the barn door and after halftime just flat. I was asking for calm heads yesterday and I think we were pretty nervous as rushed things we normally excel in. Bayern were pretty professional and could not believe how they were dicking around their own box. They got away with it and just shows the confidence they had away from home at Anfield as we could not do the same last night as the lads were getting caught out. Bayern are no mugs and we nearly got mugged a few times by a couple of lads who thought they could piss about near our own goal as we scrapped a clean sheet last night..wont get away with that at their place but thankfully Virgil will be back. By all accounts we should be happy with last night as the #1 object was not to leak a goal. That was done and the boys up front had an off night with their shooting boots so hopefully with Virgil back in defence and Fabinho in CM we should get it done there ....1-1 job done.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #578 on: February 20, 2019, 10:21:06 am »
I've felt Robbo has been slightly off-colour too lately....

Not in terms of his attitude or workrate, both still top notch....but he's not finding his crosses or misplacing a few more passes than usual recently. Nothing to be alarmed about because he is still a good outlet but hopefully he gets back to his best soon

Trent has just come back from a long time out so needs to find his feet again. A more steady defence and even midfield will help both players in the games ahead im sure
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #579 on: February 20, 2019, 10:21:23 am »

Clearly it is. Any good side with some tactical nous plays against us like that now. Happened at Napoli, happened at PSG, now happened against Bayern. It's our go-to move to get out of the press and we are too cautious to play through the middle and through the press too often.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Online Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: February 20, 2019, 10:23:36 am »
They are both superb, there's no doubt about that. I've defended Trent on here loads. I'm simply talking at the very highest level here - because I believe they've both got the technical and mental ability to get there and, as such, I hold them to that standard. I'm just not convinced they're *quite* as there yet as some of our fan-base seem to think. Too often the ball goes long when they are placed under pressure. That's part system and part of what's going on (or not) around them, sure, but it's also partly what's happening in their brain and at their feet. And too often the final ball is lacking.
With Trent I agree with you, he still as some way to go, but that is on the other hand only natural considering his age. I think we’ll be able to compare him to the absolute best in a few years though, as he develops and gets more experience.

But Robertson is pretty much complete. Don’t think you can expect him to improve much more, only keep the level he’s been at this season. Which is an incredibly high level. He’s been outstanding in every way this year, bar a few games lately.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: February 20, 2019, 10:25:14 am »
Clearly it is. Any good side with some tactical nous plays against us like that now. Happened at Napoli, happened at PSG, now happened against Bayern. It's our go-to move to get out of the press and we are too cautious to play through the middle and through the press too often.

I think that changes when Fabinho is in central midfield though, and we're starting to see it from Keita too. It's correct to say it is something that teams have been doing more and more though, but I think we have solutions to it once everyone's fit.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: February 20, 2019, 10:28:19 am »
That was my biggest takeaway from last night.

Klopp did indicate that we need[ed] to be brave to beat brave to beat Bayern.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:39:04 am by Red Bird »

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #583 on: February 20, 2019, 10:33:15 am »
How about Bayern Munich 1981?

Thanks Yorkie, thought it must never have happened.Not mentioned because it wasn't CL or some other barmy reason.

Ray Kennedy- 83 minutes.

Bayern had won the European Cup three times running a few years earlier so we're no pushovers.

This current Bayern are beatable. They showed little ambition from the start and will regret not trying more to get that valuable away goal.

Kimmich impressed me, but suspended so -1 for Munich.
Virgil back, so +1 for us.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:29:39 pm by redtel »
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: February 20, 2019, 10:39:43 am »
Thanks Yorkie, thought it must never have happened.Not mentioned because it wasn't CL or some other barmy reason.

Ray Kennedy- 83 minutes.

Bayern had won the European Cup three times running a few years earlier so we're no pushovers.

This current Bayern are beatable. They showed little ambition from the start and will regret not trying more to get that valuable away goal.

Kimmel impressed me, but suspended so -1 for Munich.
Virgil back, so +1 for us.
Will not Goretzka and Robben be back? Also, for us, it's not just van Dijk coming back but also freeing Fabinho to retake the midfield role.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #585 on: February 20, 2019, 10:53:08 am »
I saw the BBC saying only 10 out of 31 teams who drew the home first leg 0-0 went through in CL history. But it really depends on the teams because obviously Lyon drawing 0-0 at home to Barca... you still easily fancy Barca.

One thing is for sure, we'll have to actually turn up in an away game in Europe this season.  ;D

The BBC also said there were WMD’s in Iraq
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: February 20, 2019, 11:01:02 am »
I saw the BBC saying only 10 out of 31 teams who drew the home first leg 0-0 went through in CL history. But it really depends on the teams because obviously Lyon drawing 0-0 at home to Barca... you still easily fancy Barca.

The majority of teams who play at home in the 2nd leg are the better side anyway  so that's not at all surprising.  Or at least, they have won their group so it would suggest so.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: February 20, 2019, 11:09:28 am »

One thing is for sure, we'll have to actually turn up in an away game in Europe this season.  ;D
Would this be overall or just in the knockout stages?

Offline Fernando_Torres_Was_Good

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #588 on: February 20, 2019, 11:11:41 am »
I don't suppose anyone has stats on how many goals we've scored with headers from crosses or corners this season?

Whenever a cross or a corner occurs, I always feel like we won't score.

Not the biggest issue in the world, and not moaning, just wondering if my impression bares any reflection on a statistical reality.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #589 on: February 20, 2019, 11:11:47 am »
They took the sting out of the second half well I though which showed their experience. Lots of time wasting and all quite cynical but before you knew it 15 minutes had gone without a lot happening which was frustrating given how well we ended the first half. Same at the end, 4 minutes of time added on and I reckon the Bali was in play for 2 and a half minutes at most.

They defended deep, Martinez screened them well and they have some big units there.

Second leg very much in the balance though. They might fell confident of getting the home win they need but I think our front three will have more room to play and Kimmich will be a big loss for them so it may be a question of how the game pans out, who scored first. If we do we’re really in charge. If they do, we don’t need to panic as we’re still very much in the game.

If it gets to half time and it’s still 0-0 then the jeopardy for them conceding increases by the minute so they might remain quite cagey. Could conceivably go to extra time.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #590 on: February 20, 2019, 11:14:56 am »
I don't suppose anyone has stats on how many goals we've scored with headers from crosses or corners this season?

Whenever a cross or a corner occurs, I always feel like we won't score.

Not the biggest issue in the world, and not moaning, just wondering if my impression bares any reflection on a statistical reality.

Whenever we get corners in the League they always bring up a stat that we’ve scored more set pieces than anyone else so I think everyone just feels their club doesn’t score enough. Hard to think of too many of the top of my head but we obviously do score our fair share! Gini v Spurs, Matip v Saints, Fabinho v Newcastle (maybe Lovren too, via a rebound)...Sturridge on the opening day, Firmino v Leicester...fair few when you stop and count them!

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #591 on: February 20, 2019, 11:16:20 am »
Was disappointed we didn't score as I thought we could have easily had 2. Impressed that we didn't concede with the makeshift back line. I wasn't over confident we'd keep the clean sheet so 0-0 is a good result in my view.

Gini and Naby had a couple of quality pieces of play in the first half, trying to turn and open up the space. We need to see that a lot more because they are both neat and tidy players who can give the oppo the run around. Gave up the ball a bit easy resulting in a couple of half chances for them, but I thought Hendo was excellent last night.

Totally get that Trent looked rusty but it was great to see him back and defensively he had a good game. Robbo had one of his worst games bless him. The front 3 certainly look a lot better when these  2 are on form.

All in all, with our favored 3 CB'S out, not conceding was quite an achievement. Fully confident we'll get the result in Germany.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #592 on: February 20, 2019, 11:23:23 am »
We were playing some amazing footy at times, but Bayern did a fantastic job of shutting us down. It was a good contest. Obviously felt disappointed not to get a goal.

Overall 0-0 is not a bad result though, especially with Van Dijk out (not that our defence let us down - I thought Matip had a great game). As long as we don't return to our Group Stage away form I would say we are in the driving seat. Bayern will have to open up a bit at the Allianz.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: February 20, 2019, 11:29:40 am »
was more pissed off last night but today looking back on it I think it's not a bad result with the team we were forced to put out and Firmino probably not at 100%

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #594 on: February 20, 2019, 11:47:30 am »
First of all Bayern defended brilliantly put in a foot when it was needed and almost shut us down, as for the front three they are like a fine Rolls Royce engine which is slightly misfiring just needs a tweak and it will be back to perfection.

As for the rest Fabinho wonderful as a CB almost Kaiser like in his ability to not only stop them but also his distribution was good, TTA got to be in the midfield with one or two seasons some brilliant runs last night, and Nabi you can see what he brings to the table but he needs either more skill or luck with his final pass.

For me though our outstanding player last night was the much maligned Henderson.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: February 20, 2019, 11:50:12 am »
Honestly don't think we'll see Bayern go for it attacking wise in the 2nd leg when i think about it. I don't think we should fear their attack especially with Virgil back and they defo should fear our attack especially with Kimmich out. Think it's set up perfectly for a 3-1 win.

Honestly our defence was decimated for last nights game and yet they never really looked like scoring. They missed the boat imo.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:51:44 am by Mister men »
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #596 on: February 20, 2019, 11:51:04 am »
Honestly don't think we'll see Bayern go for it attacking wise in the 2nd leg when i think about it.

Completely agree; they can't - think the second leg will look very similar to the first leg

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: February 20, 2019, 11:54:21 am »
Bayern reaction:

Niko Kovac: "It's really top-notch to assert ourselves like this here. We did a really good job in terms of tactics, physicality and mentality. Everyone worked for one another. That's the approach. It isn't so easy here but we achieved our goal today. We were all there for one another today. If everyone's focused you get rewarded."

Hasan Salihamidzic: "We turned in a good display. The lads gave it everything, they were focused. Maybe we should have attacked here and there to create chances. You get punished for small mistakes. The team kept their cool in defence. We move on now. It'll be really fierce. We're glad, we're satisfied with the result but not euphoric. The whole team display was top-notch."

Manuel Neuer: "We knew what awaited us of course. Liverpool have quick players up front. We cooperated well and were compact. We wanted to achieve a good result. It's a pity that Liverpool kept a clean sheet too. It's always good to score a goal on the road, but maybe we lacked a few percent up front because we were so busy in defence. Our position isn't so bad. Before the match we would have said a goalless draw is okay."

Javi Martínez: "It's a dream to play at Anfield. I'm satisfied with the team display and with my personal performance too. But we're talking about 180 minutes, there's a second match in Munich. We haven't achieved anything yet. We must give it everything and win in Munich. We kept a clean sheet against strong opponents, we can be satisfied."

Mats Hummels: "We can be satisfied with every single player's performance. We were disciplined and put the coach's instructions into practice. The main thing was to neutralise our opponents' strengths today, we did an outstanding job in this respect. We wanted to neutralise the pace of their attacking trio. I think the chances are 50-50 now. We must win at home. The situation is okay. We'd have accepted it beforehand. No team likes to travel to the Allianz Arena."

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: February 20, 2019, 11:57:53 am »
They took the sting out of the second half well I though which showed their experience. Lots of time wasting and all quite cynical but before you knew it 15 minutes had gone without a lot happening which was frustrating given how well we ended the first half. Same at the end, 4 minutes of time added on and I reckon the Bali was in play for 2 and a half minutes at most.

They defended deep, Martinez screened them well and they have some big units there.

Second leg very much in the balance though. They might fell confident of getting the home win they need but I think our front three will have more room to play and Kimmich will be a big loss for them so it may be a question of how the game pans out, who scored first. If we do we’re really in charge. If they do, we don’t need to panic as we’re still very much in the game.

If it gets to half time and it’s still 0-0 then the jeopardy for them conceding increases by the minute so they might remain quite cagey. Could conceivably go to extra time.

This is how I see it too. I don't think Bayern are gonna come roaring full steam attack. I think it will be close to last night. I do think they will liberate Alba-Rafinha just a touch more on the break and try and beat us in moments but they won't want to leave any free space for our front 3. First goal will change everything particularly if we get it. The return of VVD, the liberation of Fabinho to the middle and the return to full health of Bobby (Lovren and Gini ??), the extra games for Trent and the team getting up to full playing rhythm again should all be positives for us.
We should have won last night but against Lewndowski & Co we could have conceeded in a moment. So honours even. The end will justify the means.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: February 20, 2019, 11:57:58 am »
Completely agree; they can't - think the second leg will look very similar to the first leg

If Robben and Goretzka are fit they'll have a lot more threat both in transition and our penalty area.

Agree that they're not suddenly going to play on the half-way line though.