Author Topic: Liverpool 3 v Arsenal 1, Anfield '40 Matip'48'58 Mo '84 Torrero  (Read 35710 times)

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Re: Liverpool 3 v Arsenal 1, Anfield '40 Matip'48'58 Mo '84 Torrero
« Reply #480 on: August 27, 2019, 09:49:28 am »
first time posting on this...

couple things, the gulf in quality between the sides was clear-cut and was enjoyable to hear Neville moan about it throughout the game ;D

Last season i think teams still felt like they could have a shot at us....definitely had more of a go against us than they did City.
i think this season they will be more accepting of their fate. And so they should. Was very surprised to see Arsenal set up like that against us

This team is a machine. Hopefully we keep our main players as fit as possible throughout and it will no doubt be a good season
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #481 on: August 27, 2019, 01:35:11 pm »
I think Vidic was sent off 3 times against us wasn’t he? Torres definitely got in his head I thought. Vidic got tons of plaudits and probably rightly so but always thought Ferdinand was the better of the two.
Torres scored three times in fifteen games against Vidic. He got the better of Vidic for the first one, the second he got the better of Ferdinand and the third was a free header (with Ferdinand nearest). Vidic also got sent off four times against us. He fouled Kuyt and Gerrard for two of them. Torres didn't even play in the other two games.

There was something about the fixture that set Vidic off, as that's an unusual amount of red cards. It was most likely the intensity of the rivalry though. The Torres thing has been blown out of all proportion.

I think I might agree with you on Ferdinand too actually.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #482 on: August 27, 2019, 02:28:19 pm »
I re-watched the match yesterday, and, as we did basically all of last season, completely controlled the match. We struggled in the first half to create anything substantial, but once we scored, Arsenal never had a chance. We seemed to get a bit casual after the third goal and squandered a few opportunities going forward when we really should have scored a fourth and maybe a fifth.

Listening to some of the analysis the past few days, you would think that Arsenal were actually competitive. The Pepe chance was from an error, which Henderson seemed quite annoyed with post match. The Aubameyang chance was just a miscommunication between Virgil and Adrian. In the end, they didn't really create much besides that. I understood what Emery was trying to do to a degree, but it's hard to see how it was going to work against the best centerback partnership in the league. It was a pretty cowardly performance in the end.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #483 on: August 27, 2019, 05:07:02 pm »
Will need to watch this again but..2nd half, ball played thro to Aubameyang,pretty sure he challenged for the ball & was in an offside position..think it came off Matip & and went out of play with a corner given..how the fuck is that a correct call?
Baffled me.
Another rule i fucking despise in the game is when a player is clearly offside & play continues only for a flag to go up late.
I get that some decisions try to make the game flow but there are some so fucking obvious & play continues stupidly and then a late late flag.

Someone else picked up on it..surprised there were so few..

https://twitter.com/Tactical_Times/status/1165906173905821696
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: August 27, 2019, 07:05:45 pm »
Isn't it possible to start an online petition that states that Tyler and Neville should be permanently banned from commenting in our games???? I have to literally mute my stream due to them..... Seems like a funeral Everytime they are commenting.... Ruins the whole match.... Please let the higher ups at sky know that these two are unacceptable 😠😠😠😠

Online petition?

That's almost as useful as doing nothing.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: August 27, 2019, 07:15:18 pm »
Thats another flaw with the VAR use as it stands. If the lino is not sure and keeps it down thinking VAR will sort it out if they score, it then opens up the scenario of them scoring from a set piece they shouldn't have had.
By rights the corner should be stopped and it should be a free kick, but then how far do you go, it could get ridiculous.

That's not how VAR works. The assistant is supposed to not flag marginal calls he thinks are offside just in case he is wrong. Play is then allowed to develop. Once it is clear a goal is not going to be scored (in however many phases of play), the official should raise their flag.

I did not see the game yesterday, but from what is described, that was the assistant either incorrectly thinking the Arsenal player was onside or incorrectly keeping his flag down once the ball had gone out off of Matip.

For VAR in general, I'm more annoyed at how people are ignoring that it is not supposed to eradicate 100% of the errors, but to reduce them. It has and it does. VAR is being used as an excuse by fans and pundits alike.

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: August 27, 2019, 10:18:20 pm »
Something I'm hating about the game this season, ourselves being an exception 'cos we're so fucking good to watch, is this new bollocksy goal-kick taking shite.  Seems like so much time is wasted with everyone posturing on the edge of the area for an age waiting for the keeper to do something before deciding to pass it along the goal line to a defender in the corner (don't mind that option against us as the opponents never seem capable of breaking out of our press) or, keeper takes it back to the 6 yard line and hoofs it upfield.  Utter fucking bollocks it is.
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: August 27, 2019, 10:26:53 pm »
That's not how VAR works. The assistant is supposed to not flag marginal calls he thinks are offside just in case he is wrong. Play is then allowed to develop. Once it is clear a goal is not going to be scored (in however many phases of play), the official should raise their flag.

I did not see the game yesterday, but from what is described, that was the assistant either incorrectly thinking the Arsenal player was onside or incorrectly keeping his flag down once the ball had gone out off of Matip.

For VAR in general, I'm more annoyed at how people are ignoring that it is not supposed to eradicate 100% of the errors, but to reduce them. It has and it does. VAR is being used as an excuse by fans and pundits alike.

If it was an error on the part of the linesman and thought he was offside, it's a better process than him not being sure, not flagging, and things developing without ever checking things.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: August 28, 2019, 10:52:51 am »
If it was an error on the part of the linesman and thought he was offside, it's a better process than him not being sure, not flagging, and things developing without ever checking things.

My understanding of VAR and offside is that the one thing they want to avoid is an incorrect offside flag that stops the game and prevents a goal scoring opportunity, only to find out after everyone has stopped, that it was actually onside.

So the process for an assistant should be that if they are unsure, they do not raise their flag. If a goal is scored, VAR can deal with that. If a goal is not scored in what ever the amount of phases of play it is, the assistant should then fall back on their own judgement. So if he thought it was probably onside, the game continues. If he thought it was probably offside, the flag goes up.

On the whole I feel the media furore over some VAR things is over the top. It IS going to take time to work properly. We need to give it that time. If that means some bad calls happen, it isn't really any different from the onfield officials getting things wrong.

I remember the introduction of the passback rule, something infinitely less complex. That was chaos for at least half a season. But because we stuck with it, nowadays it barely gets a mention. I feel if we are patient with it VAR will follow the same, if more lengthy, path

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #489 on: September 12, 2019, 01:21:30 pm »
To use some contemporary lingo...you love to see it.

https://twitter.com/MaaxiAngelo/status/1172117371844272129

Ceballos: "I’ve never seen anything like what I saw at Anfield; I haven’t seen a team that plays better, that presses like them, the way the fans carry them along. You spend so much time defending and when you want to catch your breath and get on the ball, they've taken it again"
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: September 12, 2019, 01:29:09 pm »

Ceballos: "I’ve never seen anything like what I saw at Anfield; I haven’t seen a team that plays better, that presses like them, the way the fans carry them along. You spend so much time defending and when you want to catch your breath and get on the ball, they've taken it again"

Anfield has become a fortress once more, many opposition players will be overawed there. ;D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: September 12, 2019, 02:02:20 pm »

He's more or less saying that all we do is run around a lot. Sean Dyche says his teams have been doing that for years. It's not really that big of a deal.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #492 on: September 13, 2019, 08:34:15 am »
He's more or less saying that all we do is run around a lot. Sean Dyche says his teams have been doing that for years. It's not really that big of a deal.

:D

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #493 on: September 13, 2019, 08:49:17 am »
Great 3 points

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #494 on: September 13, 2019, 09:08:07 am »
Great 3 points

Is it your stream or is it the thread?  :P

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #495 on: February 29, 2020, 12:41:42 am »
We’ll win the league at a canter this season

Just thought I’d pop back in to relive this moment. It was Pacharán - fuelled but it was genuine . There was just something about the way we played, just felt as though everything was clicking into place.

So here’s another prediction. Next season will be the most competitive in the modern era. I can see a maximum of 6 points separating the top 4

See you all at the bridge next week :)
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'