Author Topic: Praise for LFC's transfer policy  (Read 241131 times)

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Praise for LFC's transfer policy
« Reply #760 on: June 5, 2020, 02:13:49 pm »
The idea on the front 3 is they cant all run all cylinders for 4 years straight. Well good job they have never done that. I dont think I remember many times ever where all 3 where on fire st the same time.

The solution is that they each are good enough to work well if the others drop a little. When Mane had a poor run, usually one or both of Salah and Firmino played well. Salah had a goal drought, and Firmino and Mane were great. Just before Covid it was very fair to say Firmino was a little off the boil, but Salah and Mane were banging them in.

Injuries are one thing, but these are very fit players, and our analysis in this regard is one of the best in the world, if not the best

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #761 on: June 5, 2020, 02:14:10 pm »
You could have asked plenty of our own fans about Mane when we were signing him and got the same opinion though, sooo!  ;D

Lampard is no Klopp though. He has a challenge on his hand to finish in the top four, four wins in eleven games is not great. There is every chance Chelsea will not qualify for the top four, then we will see how serious Chelsea are into keeping Lampard as manager.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #762 on: June 5, 2020, 02:14:43 pm »
Craig if you look at my posts, I myself said I was disappointed. But there are already people questioning FSG and our ability to compete,etc... Klopp being unhappy,etc..

On here? There might be the odd one but certainly not more than that are saying such things.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: June 5, 2020, 02:16:00 pm »
On here? There might be the odd one but certainly not more than that are saying such things.

Not necessarily on here mate

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #764 on: June 5, 2020, 02:17:24 pm »
Not necessarily on here mate

Then post where the people are losing their shit then and not on here  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: June 5, 2020, 02:19:45 pm »
You could have asked plenty of our own fans about Mane when we were signing him and got the same opinion though, sooo!  ;D

Mane in any other team would be half the player he is now. That's pretty much the case with every player we have bar maybe Alisson.

You look at Mane, Firmino, and Salah before they joined Liverpool and they were very good to excellent, and now they are world class.

VVD, our most expensive player, was not as good as he is now under Klopp.

Alisson is the only one I can see who was just always the best in the world at what he does, and that's why we didn't hesitate to spend so much on him.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: June 5, 2020, 02:28:10 pm »
Most likely. We basically didn't buy Werner because we can't afford him at present, so why would we be "monitoring" someone who's likely to cost much more then Werner? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Werner we'd potentially have to pay all upfront but Sancho we could pay over a certain amount of years?

But we won't sign Sancho this summer anyway

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: June 5, 2020, 02:31:39 pm »
Short of legs in midfield?

-Henderson
-Fabinho
-Milner
-Wijnaldum
-Keita
-Ox

How are we short in midfield? How many midfielders do you need.

There's maybe an argument to add a different type to our midfield, but in terms of numbers we're stacked. Those lads you mention, plus Jones taking Lallana's spot and Minamino as a possibility there (as suggested by his coach at Salzburg).

If Lallana and Shaqiri are our only senior outgoings, our squad is still fairly stacked. Adrian backing up Alisson, who is unlikely to be so unlucky with injuries again. Neco is perfect for covering Trent at RB, and we have four senior CBs not to mention Fabinho who can drop back there. Loads of bodies in midfield with a decent mix of skillsets. A top class front three and decent cover in Origi and Minamino plus Elliott pushing into the senior set-up.

Really, the only holes I can see is cover for Robbo and another top class attacker, which is obviously what the club thought too hence why we were targeting Werner. Clearly we won't be getting anyone of that level, but someone like Rashica might make sense. Around £15m apparently (maybe only if Werder go down) so it'd be a bit like the Shaqiri deal. Think Leipzig actually have him lined up as Werner's replacement, which suggests he could be a good buy.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #768 on: June 5, 2020, 02:41:14 pm »
Mane in any other team would be half the player he is now. That's pretty much the case with every player we have bar maybe Alisson.

You look at Mane, Firmino, and Salah before they joined Liverpool and they were very good to excellent, and now they are world class.

VVD, our most expensive player, was not as good as he is now under Klopp.

Alisson is the only one I can see who was just always the best in the world at what he does, and that's why we didn't hesitate to spend so much on him.

I think that's ludicrous, to be honest.

Any of those players in a very good side would still be a world class player.

Yes Klopp gets the best out of them, but you're taking a huge amount away from them as players suggesting they'd be half the player elsewhere.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: June 5, 2020, 02:50:57 pm »
I think that's ludicrous, to be honest.

Any of those players in a very good side would still be a world class player.

Yes Klopp gets the best out of them, but you're taking a huge amount away from them as players suggesting they'd be half the player elsewhere.

Well said. Of course they have improved because of Klopp but also because of their work ethic, but the talent was there before and would be elsewhere.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: June 5, 2020, 02:56:51 pm »
It’s hard not to be a touch disappointed but ultimately you have to trust the people that have done so excellently in assembling this team.

Klopp has performed masterfully with the assembly of this team, and you don’t need me to list the numerous players who weren’t fancied by other clubs (and our own fanbase) prior to signing for Liverpool and becoming absolutely pivotal to what we’ve achieved. That said, we signed the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, the most expensive centre half in the world, spent over 70 million on Fabinho and Chamberlain and went from a, potentially excellent, but largely inconsistent team, to a team that has amassed 97 points, won a european cup and is looking likely to win the league. It’s clear that spending, and at times spending big, has played a key part in putting us where we are now.

Far be it from me to try to dictate how the manager and club should act - they’ve got credit in the bank and have earnt my trust, I’m sure that the decision was a calculated one and one which they feel is for the overall benefit of the club. I am no accountant and I won’t even try to add my take on the financial side of things, except to say that the line I keep hearing is that we can’t meet Werner’s buyout clause because of COVID-19, and therefore any player costing similar (or more) will also be out of reach. Now that may well be true, but I think that the one thing which has been certain throughout this crisis in every area, is uncertainty. My point is that Werner’s clause needs to be activated shortly, that, combined with Chelsea’s interest presumably meant that the club had to act now if they wanted him - it may well be the case that if this could be done in August, rather than June, and the club had a while longer to observe the financial impact of this, that we could have acted - with that in mind I wouldn’t necessarily say that just because we couldn’t sanction Werner doesn’t mean that we won’t be able to sanction a signing of a similar amount in this transfer window - I do think that there’s a fair chance that the time limits on the transfer were a factor in us being unable to do business as well as the cost.

When it comes to transfers, Its not something which I’m too invested in, ultimately I just want the club to be successful, and whilst there is an obvious correlation between (good) transfer work and success, ultimately it is the latter which is of my concern and the former is simply a means to its end. The line which is often used is to judge the club at the end of the transfer window, in my opinion we should be judging at the end of the season, what appears a successful transfer window does not necessarily equate to a successful season - just ask Everton. If we sign nobody this season and win the league next season then I, and I’d imagine everybody else, will be ecstatic and won’t be looking back to our lack of transfer business.

I can’t add to much on the merits of Werner specifically, I’ve watched only a handful of his games. All I can say is it is a touch disappointing that we weren’t able to get it done as it seems fairly clear that the manager wanted to sign him, and, given his track record with signings, I’m sure that means he would have stood a fairly good chance of success here, it’s a shame we won’t get to see that.

Ultimately, I find it hard to get too worked up about this. I’ve waited 30 years for this league title and it looks like it’s now imminent, I’d have been delighted if we signed Werner as well but at the end of the day we’ll be lifting the title up in a few weeks, that’s what we’re all in it for.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #771 on: June 5, 2020, 02:58:16 pm »
The source of the upset is that we pulled out for financial reasons (unless all reports are wrong) - I think its understandable that that's disappointing for any fan.
Doesn't mean the footballing parts of your post aren't valid but the football side of our operation did want him this summer.
As I posted doesn't mean we can't compete this year or that there won't be another player
If this was an isolated incident I don't think anyone would care, but FSG has been a bit underwhelming in transfer activity at times. This feels like another example of that parsimony, that is what is upsetting people.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #772 on: June 5, 2020, 03:00:58 pm »
It will be interesting to see how the market reacts once it is officially open since there are only a handful of clubs who are capable of spending heavily in the current climate.

It almost seems too predictable at this point, but I would expect us to go after player(s) from relegated sides. Most clubs are bleeding cash right now and those that are relegated will be in even more need of it. In the Premier League, I am not sure what wide forward we would realistically want to target though. Buendia and Cantwell don't seem to have the profile we would want. Fraser is out of contract this summer, although surely there are concerns over his performances this season. Sarr would be an obvious choice, but I can't see Watford selling for less than the £30m they spent on him last summer. Perhaps we look at players from lower to midtable sides in some Europe's other top leagues.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #773 on: June 5, 2020, 03:07:19 pm »
If this was an isolated incident I don't think anyone would care, but FSG has been a bit underwhelming in transfer activity at times. This feels like another example of that parsimony, that is what is upsetting people.

Genuinely interested around this piece.

Over the last 3-5 years (so under Klopp) what examples do you think there are where FSG have directly influenced our transfer activity?

I'm not a massive critic of FSG, nor a massive fan either. My criticism doesn't;t really come from how they've run the footballing side of things over the 2nd half of their tenure at the club. Yet there still seems to be this under current of feeling that FSG are somehow limiting our spending. They obviously are by making the club live within it's means rather than being benefactors who fund transfer activity in the way we've seen at Chelsea and City. But that is how the vast majority of clubs operate.

My personal impression has been that Klopp and the recruitment team have had a lot of autonomy to make transfer based decisions but they obviously have to live within the constraints of the financials of the club.

I think this Werner decision is a more difficult one since the financial impact of covid19 is really unknown. We could look back at the decision not to buy Werner for 50M as a hugely conservative decision, equally we could look back at the clubs decision and it look like a great one. As with all transfers only time will really tell, with the additional aspect of time telling us the impact of covid19 also.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #774 on: June 5, 2020, 03:07:33 pm »

Welcome back mate  :wave Nice to see you and Jack back.

They’ve been underwhelming for supporters who seem to enjoy that sort of thing, desperate for new toys. You’d like to think the records we broke with VVD, with Alisson, our own transfer records being broken numerous times and the wage bill (as well as the obvious success and the managers happiness here) that it hasn’t been underwhelming for the people that really matter.

If you get upset that we didn’t sign a player I’m not sure what to tell you. Have a doughnut or something.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: June 5, 2020, 03:08:14 pm »
Our wage bill is 310 million quid, keep that in mind.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: June 5, 2020, 03:11:55 pm »
For a team that has dropped 5 points over 29 league games and are current European and World Champion's we have a shitload of 'real issues'.

I'm not saying we don't need tweaks to the squad but a lot of you are making up issues that aren't there. Or at least amplifying those issues in your own minds. We have a one of the best squads in World football. We have some very good youngsters coming through. We have a World class manager and backroom staff. We have a World class recruitment team.

If you don't mind me asking what were your initial thoughts when (a) we sold Coutinho and didn't buy a like for like replacement, and (b) didn't strengthen the squad last summer?

So you do or don't you think we need improvement? you seem to be wanting it both ways-

I was delighted when we signed VVD & Alisson (not sure if I agreed with the fees) but we needed a better spine and you get what you pay for, funnily enough I guess you are now advocating for not signing the best players on the market

I wasn't happy that we didn't sign more senior players last summer, would a better second choice goalkeeper than Adrian be useful I wonder? or perhaps we could've made a concerted effort to sign Sancho or Havertz last summer- who knows, its great posting in hindsight isn't it?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: June 5, 2020, 03:12:58 pm »
I wasn't happy that we didn't sign more senior players last summer, would a better second choice goalkeeper than Adrian be useful I wonder? or perhaps we could've made a concerted effort to sign Sancho or Havertz last summer- who knows, its great posting in hindsight isn't it?

What makes you think buying either one of those was possible last year, particularly for the prices they would demand [in excess over a 100 million?]

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: June 5, 2020, 03:14:02 pm »
Most likely. We basically didn't buy Werner because we can't afford him at present, so why would we be "monitoring" someone who's likely to cost much more then Werner? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Because he is the biggest talent in the world?

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: June 5, 2020, 03:14:03 pm »

I remember there were quite a few people last summer moaning about our lack of big spending. We did well last season but we'll never kick on without splashing out on new players to refresh the squad, they said. You need to buy while you're in a position of strength or the squad will stagnate, they said. Fail to invest in new players and we'll just start to go backwards like Spurs, they said.

We'll never win the league with this parsimonious approach, they said.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: June 5, 2020, 03:15:59 pm »

We don't know, it might be a situation like Klopp wanting Goetze & Brandt and us getting Mane & Salah. if we do nothing to materially improve the first team then I do think we will pay for it in our results next season

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: June 5, 2020, 03:18:35 pm »
Short of legs in midfield?

-Henderson
-Fabinho
-Milner
-Wijnaldum
-Keita
-Ox

How are we short in midfield? How many midfielders do you need.

May even be less games next season, with an altered European competition.

Also, the impact of 5 subs (if that stays) could be that rotation within game could be more of a thing to manage certain players minutes.

May actually get away with a slightly smaller squad and/or be able to give more minutes (through sub appearances) to younger players who are on the periphery of the match day 18.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #782 on: June 5, 2020, 03:19:53 pm »

Five players in the UEFA Team of the Year. Allisson, Virgil, Trent, Robbo and Mane.

Mane, Bobby and Mo all the nominees for Forward.

Gini, Fabinho and Henderson all nominated for Midfielder.

One in 5 nominees from Liverpool.

'Underwhelming' transfer activity but somehow we have the best team in European football. How does that work?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: June 5, 2020, 03:20:49 pm »
I remember there were quite a few people last summer moaning about our lack of big spending. We did well last season but we'll never kick on without splashing out on new players to refresh the squad, they said. You need to buy while you're in a position of strength or the squad will stagnate, they said. Fail to invest in new players and we'll just start to go backwards like Spurs, they said.

We'll never win the league with this parsimonious approach, they said.

I said the opposite, we didn’t need one and we could rely on Harry Wilson ;D Doesn’t mean we have to continue this way though, I thought the general idea was to build the squad to the point it is now, and be ready to spend big when needed, when a VVD Alisson Keita or Sancho came on the market, FSG are lucky they have the best manager of his generation at this club.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #784 on: June 5, 2020, 03:20:58 pm »
No, I don’t agree.

They just don’t go mad if they’re not convinced it’s important.

We cannot forget that we obliterated the world record transfer fee for Angola keeper two years ago and two and a half years ago we obliterated the world record transfer fee for a defender... a record that hasn’t been broken....

So, they’ll pony up the dough if they’re certain it will have a big impact.

We forget these things very quickly.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #785 on: June 5, 2020, 03:21:19 pm »
Maybe he is trying to make you feel better  ;)

Frequent watchers of Werner see a player who very much would be suited to the team and manager. 

He’s instantly Chelsea’s best forward without kicking a ball for them, by some distance.

What he will do is frustarte fans in the same way Aubameyang does - by missing sitters and being caught offside a lot, but he’ll score a shit ton for them and his pace will trouble plenty of teams.

Already a major upgrade from Giroud.

If only we had Werner could have reverted to Klopp successful Lewandowski model.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: June 5, 2020, 03:22:24 pm »
No, I don’t agree.

They just don’t go mad if they’re not convinced it’s important.

We cannot forget that we obliterated the world record transfer fee for Angola keeper two years ago and two and a half years ago we obliterated the world record transfer fee for a defender... a record that hasn’t been broken....

So, they’ll pony up the dough if they’re certain it will have a big impact.

We forget these things very quickly.

From FSG own words we were only really allow to do  that (especially in regards to Alisson) because of the money from the Coutinho sale.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #787 on: June 5, 2020, 03:24:57 pm »
Any talk of the transfer market now is hard because Abramovic's wealth is probably pretty recession proof while Abu Dhabi and possibly Saudi with NUFC are in the same boat.  Aside from that you have Spurs talking about going from a the highest ever profit in the PL to a loss of £200m?  Shouldn't Everton and the like be going insolvent let alone all the other teams with less wealth in Europe?  Shouldn't there be a load of teams that instead of spending are desperately trying to cut costs?

In theory LFC could end up signing a player(s) for almost nothing while maybe not exactly as good as Werner aren't also putting possible undue financial burden to a team that may have greater than 100% of revenue going to wages in the short to medium term.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #788 on: June 5, 2020, 03:31:18 pm »
From FSG own words we were only really allow to do  that (especially in regards to Alisson) because of the money from the Coutinho sale.
VVD, Keita, Fabinho, Allison pretty much all at once?

Yeah, I’m sure we needed the counting money.

I suspect we are paying the final tranche of money for them all this summer too.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: June 5, 2020, 03:33:53 pm »
VVD, Keita, Fabinho, Allison pretty much all at once?

Yeah, I’m sure we needed the counting money.

I suspect we are paying the final tranche of money for them all this summer too.

310 million per year on wages as well, we are all paying that based on sales right  :D

Offline King Kennys Pumas

• Main Stander
« Reply #790 on: June 5, 2020, 03:34:27 pm »

This person is not those supporters. And Mane was obviously good - not sure how anyone thought he would not succeed.

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #791 on: June 5, 2020, 03:35:07 pm »
He's really not at the moment. In terms of players in his age group he's miles behind Mbappe. Havertz is also better in my opinion. He's undoubtedly going to be an elite level player and could potentially be at a similar level to Salah and Mane in a few years but I don't think he'd start ahead of them for Liverpool anytime soon. Do you think he'd want to move to one of the few clubs in the world where he's not guaranteed to start every game?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #792 on: June 5, 2020, 03:39:18 pm »

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: June 5, 2020, 03:43:22 pm »
hopefully we get someone in.

Because standing still bar Minamino for 2 straight summers is very dangerous.
Klopp cant keep overacheiving. Our first 11 is superb but we need more rotation.

Maybe Brewster can step up.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: June 5, 2020, 03:45:38 pm »
think the uncertainty looking forward post covid really done us here.

But how much was werner really asking for us to back out of the deal. Think the sum might be unreasonable and cause a bit of unhappiness as all or most of our players have worked hard to earn what they are getting now.

not really disappointed as there are bigger and shinier things to look forward to in the next few weeks. I have utmost faith in the klopp and edwards in getting the most value for money players that actually fit in our style. Who could actually argue against the players they have actually bought in and overperformed.

Gini, Robbo, Mane, Salah and Gomez all have improved leaps and bounds despite at one point in time or another being criticized by our own for not being good enough or a big fancy enough name.

Hopefullly there might be a few surprises after all is done and dusted. Maybe there might be some role for Rhian or glatzel at some point if they prove themselves enough. Nothing sweeter than seeing our own talent being developed and being a success.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: June 5, 2020, 03:46:04 pm »
So you do or don't you think we need improvement? you seem to be wanting it both ways-

I was delighted when we signed VVD & Alisson (not sure if I agreed with the fees) but we needed a better spine and you get what you pay for, funnily enough I guess you are now advocating for not signing the best players on the market

Can't believe I'm wasting my 5000th post on this but I was pretty supportive of the transfer strategy last summer. Didn't think we needed the 4th front 3 option that so many people were desperate for. I was also supportive when we bought VvD and Alisson, though admittedly I had some reservation about the fee for a GK.

I think this summer we need the odd tweak. I'd have liked that to be Werner but not overly upset we didn't get him. Understand why we may not be in a position to spend big with the current uncertainties.

I still think we need the odd tweak to our squad. By tweak I'm talking a Minamino style signing rather than a 50-100M type player (Sancho, Harvetz etc..). Think some back up at left back would be nice (but not absolutely essential) and if Lovren left, for example, a replacement.

I'd love us to buy all the best players on the market. Who wouldn't want Harvetz, Werner and Sancho sitting on the bench instead of Minamino, Origi and Shaqiri. But football and football finances don't really work like that. We don't have unlimited funds, we actually currently have less funds than expected. Therefore you cut your cloth accordingly at different times. When you have a big gap in your 1st team you invest heavily on the correct players to fill that gap (VvD, Alisson, Mane). When you have only minor gaps you don't necessarily need to invest as heavily. You can take more chances on players you recruit externally (Minamino) or develop your own players (Elliott, Jones) to fill those squad gaps.

That's what we did last summer and in the January transfer window. It looks like we where going to invest heavily in Werner this summer and refresh things. The world and footballing finances have changed though. Almost in the blink of an eye. That's changed things and dictated why we haven't invested heavily in Werner.

We have a few minor gaps for 2020/21. Maybe the odd other minor gap if certain peripheral squad players leave. It's not 'real issues' with the squad like you were suggesting. It's minor issues at the very most n the short term (i.e. 2020/21 season). Nothing wrong with being disappointed about not signing Werner. But I can't stand the cry arse element of our fanbase on the internet who seem to revel in us not signing players and catastrophise about the future consequences. Some of you act like you enjoy transfers and this aspect of football way more than the actual football on a pitch.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: June 5, 2020, 03:47:40 pm »
It’s hard not to be a touch disappointed but ultimately you have to trust the people that have done so excellently in assembling this team.

Klopp has performed masterfully with the assembly of this team, and you don’t need me to list the numerous players who weren’t fancied by other clubs (and our own fanbase) prior to signing for Liverpool and becoming absolutely pivotal to what we’ve achieved. That said, we signed the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, the most expensive centre half in the world, spent over 70 million on Fabinho and Chamberlain and went from a, potentially excellent, but largely inconsistent team, to a team that has amassed 97 points, won a european cup and is looking likely to win the league. It’s clear that spending, and at times spending big, has played a key part in putting us where we are now.

Far be it from me to try to dictate how the manager and club should act - they’ve got credit in the bank and have earnt my trust, I’m sure that the decision was a calculated one and one which they feel is for the overall benefit of the club. I am no accountant and I won’t even try to add my take on the financial side of things, except to say that the line I keep hearing is that we can’t meet Werner’s buyout clause because of COVID-19, and therefore any player costing similar (or more) will also be out of reach. Now that may well be true, but I think that the one thing which has been certain throughout this crisis in every area, is uncertainty. My point is that Werner’s clause needs to be activated shortly, that, combined with Chelsea’s interest presumably meant that the club had to act now if they wanted him - it may well be the case that if this could be done in August, rather than June, and the club had a while longer to observe the financial impact of this, that we could have acted - with that in mind I wouldn’t necessarily say that just because we couldn’t sanction Werner doesn’t mean that we won’t be able to sanction a signing of a similar amount in this transfer window - I do think that there’s a fair chance that the time limits on the transfer were a factor in us being unable to do business as well as the cost.

When it comes to transfers, Its not something which I’m too invested in, ultimately I just want the club to be successful, and whilst there is an obvious correlation between (good) transfer work and success, ultimately it is the latter which is of my concern and the former is simply a means to its end. The line which is often used is to judge the club at the end of the transfer window, in my opinion we should be judging at the end of the season, what appears a successful transfer window does not necessarily equate to a successful season - just ask Everton. If we sign nobody this season and win the league next season then I, and I’d imagine everybody else, will be ecstatic and won’t be looking back to our lack of transfer business.

I can’t add to much on the merits of Werner specifically, I’ve watched only a handful of his games. All I can say is it is a touch disappointing that we weren’t able to get it done as it seems fairly clear that the manager wanted to sign him, and, given his track record with signings, I’m sure that means he would have stood a fairly good chance of success here, it’s a shame we won’t get to see that.

Ultimately, I find it hard to get too worked up about this. I’ve waited 30 years for this league title and it looks like it’s now imminent, I’d have been delighted if we signed Werner as well but at the end of the day we’ll be lifting the title up in a few weeks, that’s what we’re all in it for.

:thumbup always enjoy your posts

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: June 5, 2020, 03:47:48 pm »
hopefully we get someone in.

Because standing still bar Minamino for 2 straight summers is very dangerous.
Klopp cant keep overacheiving. Our first 11 is superb but we need more rotation.

Maybe Brewster can step up.

Who is standing still? We are currently twenty five points ahead of the next team in the league following on from winning a Champions League. If we're standing still where does that leave everyone else? You don't have to just buy players to achieve, its as much about developing the players you already have and bringing the next generation into the squad.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: June 5, 2020, 03:47:54 pm »
Werner is also earning 200k per week at Chelsea, which is obscene given how we have structured the wages for our players [rewarded them with increases after good seasons,etc..]

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: June 5, 2020, 03:49:43 pm »
Can't believe I'm wasting my 5000th post on this but I was pretty supportive of the transfer strategy last summer. Didn't think we needed the 4th front 3 option that so many people were desperate for. I was also supportive when we bought VvD and Alisson, though admittedly I had some reservation about the fee for a GK.

I think this summer we need the odd tweak. I'd have liked that to be Werner but not overly upset we didn't get him. Understand why we may not be in a position to spend big with the current uncertainties.

I still think we need the odd tweak to our squad. By tweak I'm talking a Minamino style signing rather than a 50-100M type player (Sancho, Harvetz etc..). Think some back up at left back would be nice (but not absolutely essential) and if Lovren left, for example, a replacement.

I'd love us to buy all the best players on the market. Who wouldn't want Harvetz, Werner and Sancho sitting on the bench instead of Minamino, Origi and Shaqiri. But football and football finances don't really work like that. We don't have unlimited funds, we actually currently have less funds than expected. Therefore you cut your cloth accordingly at different times. When you have a big gap in your 1st team you invest heavily on the correct players to fill that gap (VvD, Alisson, Mane). When you have only minor gaps you don't necessarily need to invest as heavily. You can take more chances on players you recruit externally (Minamino) or develop your own players (Elliott, Jones) to fill those squad gaps.

That's what we did last summer and in the January transfer window. It looks like we where going to invest heavily in Werner this summer and refresh things. The world and footballing finances have changed though. Almost in the blink of an eye. That's changed things and dictated why we haven't invested heavily in Werner.

We have a few minor gaps for 2020/21. Maybe the odd other minor gap if certain peripheral squad players leave. It's not 'real issues' with the squad like you were suggesting. It's minor issues at the very most n the short term (i.e. 2020/21 season). Nothing wrong with being disappointed about not signing Werner. But I can't stand the cry arse element of our fanbase on the internet who seem to revel in us not signing players and catastrophise about the future consequences. Some of you act like you enjoy transfers and this aspect of football way more than the actual football on a pitch.

:wellin