Author Topic: Round Table LFC 1-1 THFC  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Round Table LFC 1-1 THFC
« on: April 3, 2016, 10:03:50 pm »
I though at times we looked like Spurs and at times they looked a bit like us.

It was a great game to watch if you're a neutral (how? how can you seriously be 'neutral' bollocks) but ultimately we should've taken the 3 points, margins and inches and ust past the posts and all that.

Sturridge at times bewliders with consumate ease and at times looks like Henchoz after a 4 mile run chasing an ice cream van. Mignolet looked more assured than of late, our defence shouldn't have let Kane turn like that but hey we've all seen Suarez and Sturridge do the same and Coutinho's dive: I expect better, but his goal and movement: lovely.

All in all another game and another set of toothy grins from our manager. What the real fuck is he thinking tho?

Answers on a postcard
« Last Edit: April 4, 2016, 10:15:09 am by Hinesy »
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Round Table LFC 1-1 THFC
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2016, 10:15:39 am »
We'll leave the other one open for the moment for more shouting, rest of it in here ta.
Yep.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2016, 11:07:37 am »
I’ve seen quite a few people say it was a fair result……..I don’t agree. I don’t think Mignolet made any saves that I wouldn’t expect from any Premier League standard goalkeeper and I don’t think Spurs missed many chances. We, on the other hand, had twice as many shots inside the penalty area, Sturridge’s one-on-one and his header were two guilt edged chances you have to score at this level. Missed chances have cost us in these last two games, at 2-0 against Southampton Allen should be putting the game out of reach and in this game Sturridge’s misses were costly.

Coutinho was pretty poor first half, misplacing simple passes, free-kicks that missed every player and went straight to the keeper, lofted corners etc etc but still managed to produce a couple of moments of magic, the through ball to Sturridge being one of them. Second half he was fantastic and the link up play between our forwards was great to watch at times. The goal was fantastic movement and passing from the front three, Coutinho has the ball in the inside left position and Sturridge drops into space between two players to receive a pass. Alderweireld has to push up to mark Sturridge and Lallana moves into the space vacated by Alderweireld which forces Wimmer to leave his position of LCB and follow Lallana, this gives space for Coutinho to run into and receive the ball from Sturridge to side foot home. It was delicious movement and looked like something that might have come off the training ground.

Sturridge continues to worry. The Sturridge of two years ago would have destroyed a team coming to Anfield playing such a high line but this version looks uncomfortable in his body. He didn’t seem willing to run the channels and get behind the Spurs defence, the one time he tried, he was one on one with Lloris and missed the chance. I still think he’s trying to get confidence in his body back but watching him constantly refusing to sprint or chase balls is becoming a worry. If one of our players had played the same pass to him that Erikson chased down and crossed for their equaliser, I think he would have let it go out for a goal kick.

Defensively we looked shaky at times without looking too likely to concede. Sakho seemed to be playing a different game first half and was often bailed out by either Lovren or Can. It looked to me as if Spurs targeted both Sakho and Clyne when in possession for a lot of the game, both were guilty of losing the ball when pressed. Sakho is the most comfortable on the ball of all our defenders but I’m not sure he likes being pressed or when he hasn’t got time. I thought Lovren was superb first half, covering the entire back four and even making a tackle in the left back position at one point. One thing worth looking at is how he lets the player he’s marking receive a pass and then hit them with a tackle as soon as they’ve received the ball. It’s a high risk strategy that I think ultimately cost as a goal as I think he wants to challenge Kane as soon as he receives the ball but Kane makes a very clever turn. I agree Lovren shouldn’t be letting him turn like that in the area but for me that goal is 70% due to Kane’s brilliance.

Midfield continues to look one paced with the Can, Henderson and Milner trio. All three players need too many touches to control and then distribute the ball and against a Spurs team who press so aggressively you just don’t have that time and space. Spurs were on top in this area of the pitch all game and it’s an area I expect us to improve next season.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2016, 12:06:23 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2016, 11:41:26 am »
I was encouraged by that. This is team that is going for the league title. One of the most consistent in the league who are further along in their development then us. And we didn't just match them, we bettered them at times. Especially in the first half and we really should of won it. Yes we have still lots to work on and areas of the team that needs serious strengthening(like the midfield), but we aren't as far apart from Spurs as the league positions suggest. I'm now looking forward to how good we'll be when Klopp manages to put a team together he is pleased with.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2016, 11:53:48 am »
A fascinating game by two geggenpressing teams, two youngest teams in the league with exact same styles and philosophies trying to do exact same things on the pitch.

It made me think of Neville`s comments after last season`s game at Anfield vs Arsenal that it wasn`t really serious football as teams were cutting through each other too easily and it wasn`t too competitive - this game definitely was all that and it was a bit livelier than you`d expect in terms of chances created only because Spurs needed the win to make up ground in the title race. It also made me think how further along in our development we are in our manager`s first season compared to where they were last season in their managers` first season.

I think the difference will be Klopp making sure we have more pace in our front 4 because for some reason they don`t have any in theirs and if you want to make pressing high up the pitch truly effective you need outstanding pace to hit teams once you win the ball in their half.

I liked Klopp`s tactics for this game as I think we were more focused on trying to win the ball in their half and hit them when they`re most vulnerable knowing that they will have to attack and push their fullbacks high up the pitch rather than dominate the ball ourselves. It worked really well in the first half when Can robbed Son of the ball and Phil took advantage of their disorganization in that moment and created a glorious chance for Sturridge. The other occasion was when Lallana nicked the ball of Dembele and we went on to create a good chance for Milner.

For some reason it didn`t work as well in the second half after our goal and as a result they had too much of the ball and finished the game stronger which is probably why the general consensus is that they had a bit more and are a bit better in this moment in time; it`s why you`d think we really missed one of our best players in Firmino and it just goes to show how important it is keeping our best players fit because Spurs did it for the entire season all the while being the team that runs the most ( how the fuck did they achieve that? Where are their hamstring problems?)

Doubt many will see it that way but for me Lovren and Sakho as a partnership are the real deal. I think they`re the only partnership in this club that works, they really look to be on the same page, they`re trying to do the same thing, they cover for each other really well, their record together since the last season ( 11.5 games - 5.5 clean sheets ) is good. You just feel by watching them there`s a sense of partnership much more than with any other combination we can put on the pitch.

Up the Reds.

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: April 4, 2016, 12:22:16 pm »
Good points from all.
I agree about the partnership aspect to Lovren and Sakho and the concern re Sturridge highlighted in earlier posts.
The most worrying dimension looking forward from what was a decent performance is the one paced nature of our midfield.Apart from the difficulty of moving the ball quickly I worry about technique-touches need for control-and the lack of goals as no-one breaks past the forward player with any conviction.
An improvement in set piece delivery in the summer would be very welcome too.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #6 on: April 4, 2016, 12:53:46 pm »
snip

You echo my thoughts on the game to a tee, Funky.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #7 on: April 4, 2016, 02:21:03 pm »
Great game of footy played by two decent teams - lots to like about the way this was played IMO.

Pochettino has got them playing really nicely and with a degree of consistency finally. We've got Jurgen who's got more experience and desire but, has been stated about 1,000 times, we're further behind in the development of the team.
There are a lot of parallels to be honest - not least that we're both guilty of wasting the income we generate from selling off our best players when moneybag teams come knocking - but also because we've both got some skill in unearthing talent that ifitalljustcliked at the right time, looks like it could beat anyone on anyday.
Truth be told neither team was at it's best on Saturday, but we were both giving it a good go and in Phil and Erikson there were two fine players on the park throughout. Credit to Lloris for keeping them in it and to Simon for doing the same for us. Poor Daniel looked half the player he has been and half the player that Harry Kane has developed into - I wasn't sure about the lad until this season, but seeing his movement, workrate and composure live has definitely won me over - he's a surprisingly smart player too - reminds me a bit of Rushie in an odd way.
I hope they don't win it because too many of their fans are utter gobshites, though Tommy on here is as good as gold (sorry Tommy) but I don't really begrudge them any success that does come their way whilst they play like that and have Pochettino in charge - seems to be a likeable, decent man.

I really, really hope that Jurgen has the ability to get the 3 or 4 players we need this summer though - our midfield has neither the bite nor the guile it needs IMO.

Enjoyed it - fair result - we looked decent.

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #8 on: April 4, 2016, 02:21:43 pm »
I think Spurs showed a similar lack of maturity and experience that we did under Rogers in the nearly season. I think if there is a team in this league (other than Liecester) that can transition to attack at speed it is Spurs. Indeed, though I was hoping for the win, I was really concerned they would sit back and pick us off.
On the balance of that game though, I think we should have won 3-1 and Lovren continued his born-again resurrection at the heart of defence - until he went too tight on Kane. It's difficult to criticise him because it was such an above average goal.
One thing that did concern me was our marking at set pieces, the lack of protection for the keeper and the non tracking of runners. Twice in the space of a couple of minutes Aldervierweld had a free run and unchallenged header in the box. It was clear what was coming a mile away, but no one picked him up. He has to be the steal of the season as a central defender.
As Klopp said in his presser it is all about progression for this Prem campaign and we'll see what happens later. CL qualification is dead unless we win the Europa - one point in six has put that to bed.
Did we learn anything new about the team? I don't think so. I'm not a fan of Sakho - it's an opinion thing, some people have him as a cult hero, I do not - he was so erratic yesterday, positionally and on the ball. I don't want to see one game in five like the performance he gave at Old Trafford - I want that every week. If he can't add that consistency to his game, then Matip isn't going to have too hard a job to shift him.
The lowest part of the game, other than conceding, was Can's yellow, which takes him out of the next two games.
Well done to the lads on a point earned against a team that is a couple of steps ahead of us in terms of development.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #9 on: April 4, 2016, 02:44:52 pm »
A fascinating game by two geggenpressing teams, two youngest teams in the league with exact same styles and philosophies trying to do exact same things on the pitch.

It made me think of Neville`s comments after last season`s game at Anfield vs Arsenal that it wasn`t really serious football as teams were cutting through each other too easily and it wasn`t too competitive - this game definitely was all that and it was a bit livelier than you`d expect in terms of chances created only because Spurs needed the win to make up ground in the title race. It also made me think how further along in our development we are in our manager`s first season compared to where they were last season in their managers` first season.

I think the difference will be Klopp making sure we have more pace in our front 4 because for some reason they don`t have any in theirs and if you want to make pressing high up the pitch truly effective you need outstanding pace to hit teams once you win the ball in their half.

I liked Klopp`s tactics for this game as I think we were more focused on trying to win the ball in their half and hit them when they`re most vulnerable knowing that they will have to attack and push their fullbacks high up the pitch rather than dominate the ball ourselves. It worked really well in the first half when Can robbed Son of the ball and Phil took advantage of their disorganization in that moment and created a glorious chance for Sturridge. The other occasion was when Lallana nicked the ball of Dembele and we went on to create a good chance for Milner.

For some reason it didn`t work as well in the second half after our goal and as a result they had too much of the ball and finished the game stronger which is probably why the general consensus is that they had a bit more and are a bit better in this moment in time; it`s why you`d think we really missed one of our best players in Firmino and it just goes to show how important it is keeping our best players fit because Spurs did it for the entire season all the while being the team that runs the most ( how the fuck did they achieve that? Where are their hamstring problems?)

Doubt many will see it that way but for me Lovren and Sakho as a partnership are the real deal. I think they`re the only partnership in this club that works, they really look to be on the same page, they`re trying to do the same thing, they cover for each other really well, their record together since the last season ( 11.5 games - 5.5 clean sheets ) is good. You just feel by watching them there`s a sense of partnership much more than with any other combination we can put on the pitch.

Up the Reds.

I read your posts regularly now with much anticipation and reverence!   Well done, my friend... Another outstanding analysis
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 4, 2016, 06:19:12 pm »

Sturridge has the euros in mind, I don't think he's mentally ready to push himself to his limit in fear of breaking down, the problem is that he's not really looked his usual explosive self yet but I hope that returns soon, he still set up Coutinho though so it just shows his ability.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: April 4, 2016, 07:22:04 pm »

Sturridge has the euros in mind, I don't think he's mentally ready to push himself to his limit in fear of breaking down, the problem is that he's not really looked his usual explosive self yet but I hope that returns soon, he still set up Coutinho though so it just shows his ability.

I just think previously he has broken down and got an injury so frequently that he doesn't trust his body yet and feel like he can push himself to the extreme. Its unsurprising, and happens to many other people returning from injury (it happened to me too, I know how it feels). The thing he needs is time on the pitch and in training to learn how to push himself again, the good thing is that he seems to be holding up pretty well so far, we have a luxury of easing him back in (Origi is proving a good option) and he is still contributing on the pitch- it wouldn't surprise me if he finishes our top scorer this year.

I didn't get to see the game live so watched it in full yesterday. I thought we played well and created the better openings, but showed the shortcomings that have happened all season. Mistakes in defence, lack of control whilst in possesion and a lack of clinical finishing of the chances created. But there were many positives to take in matching up against probably the most impressive team in the league: I thought Lovren was outstanding (although unfortunately for him a small error resulted in a brilliant goal by Kane), we have hugely improved our attacking play, are getting more good chances and hitting the target more frequently too. I though Henderson looked a bit better again, similar to Sturridge he looks like he is beginning to trust his body again.

Both Lallana and Coutinho linked well and have a very good understanding- our goal was brilliant movement by our 3 attackers in a very narrow corridor to open up the best defence in the league. Sturridge dropping deep and Lallana's movement really opened up the space for a lovely run by Coutinho beyond the forward line to score with a great finish- hopefully this is something we are looking at more if we feel Sturridge is unable to do this by himself consistently (although it is something we need anyway, even if the striker does also move behind the defence).

Again, a lot of positives to take in terms of development and hopefully this can be used as the foundations of the teams play going forward. You can see the improvement, we need a bit of refinement (in terms of personell and structure which will happen with time) and to bed the ideas in to improve consistency but it was another good step in the right direction.