Author Topic: Champions League Qualification Rules  (Read 11787 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Champions League Qualification Rules
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:58:11 am »
If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group
matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:

a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the
teams in question;

b) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams
in question;

c) higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches
played among the teams in question;

d) superior goal difference from all group matches played;

e) higher number of goals scored;

f) higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question,
as well as its association, over the previous five seasons (see paragraph
8.02)
http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf

Whichever team out of LFC and AM gets the better result (ignoring goal difference) will be top.
If LFC and Atletico both draw - AM are top due to superior goal difference. (AM +5, LFC +4)

If LFC and AM both win or both lose - it goes to goal difference as a, b and c above will all be equal.

If the goal difference is equal (LFC win by a margin of one more goal than AM, or lose by a margin of one less), then it goes to goals scored - which given the current situation means whoever concedes the most and still ends up level on Goal Difference will be top.

If it is still equal (AM win 1-0, LFC win 2-0, or  2-1 and 3-1 etc) then LFC are top due to our stellar recent CL record.

I am posting this, because my crystal balls predict that it will be asked just a few times over the next couple of weeks and I like smugly pasting links to other topics.

EDIT - fixed my brain fade and added some quotes about the last 16 format from later in the topic.

Teams that finish top get drawn against teams that finish second. You can't play against the other team from your group or against another team from your country. In each tie, the side that finished top in their group plays the second leg at home.

Once it gets the QF's it's all seeding is gone and it's luck of the draw FA Cup style

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:41:23 pm by Southern Pansy »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: Champions League Qualification Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:20:08 am »
your on fire for such an early time of the day..
i bet u have had a coffee or 2 :D

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 10:26:03 am »
Did you sleep in a Holiday Express last night?

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:01:25 am »
Is it true that we can't play an English team in the next round or has that gone now?

If it's true, finishing second might be better.

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 11:03:54 am »

Whichever team out of LFC and AM gets the better result (ignoring goal difference) will be top.
If LFC and Atletico both draw - AM are top due to superior goal difference. (AM +5, LFC +4)

If LFC and AM both win or both lose - it goes to goal difference as a, b and c above will all be equal.

If the goal difference is equal (LFC win by a margin of one more goal than AM, or lose by a margin of one less), then it goes to goals scored - which given the current situation means whoever concedes the most and still ends up level on Goal Difference will be top.

If it is still equal (AM win 1-0, LFC win 2-0, or  2-1 and 3-1 etc) then LFC are top due to our stellar recent CL record.

I am posting this, because my crystal balls predict that it will be asked just a few times over the next couple of weeks and I like smugly pasting links to other topics.

EDIT - fixed my brain fade
if liverpool had won 2-0 last night we would be top with the better coefficiant

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 11:05:20 am »

EDIT - fixed my brain fade

you are quite the smug know-it-all, but in a good way. and that's not just because of this thread, it's a general thing.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 11:06:08 am »
Is it true that we can't play an English team in the next round or has that gone now?

I think it is still true. I'd rather meet Barcelona later in the season - hence winning the group is a good thing. They are in a purple patch at the moment. Other than that I don't mind who we get.

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 11:09:20 am »
you are quite the smug know-it-all, but in a good way. and that's not just because of this thread, it's a general thing.
You're right, it is a good thing.  RAWK has too many smug know-fuck-alls so at least we have someone to balance it out as bit.
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 11:10:38 am »
The sad thing now is we might finish second and this group could and should have been won in madrid in thev first half there  but we now have to get a result in holland to get it but at least we are in the hat not like last season worrying about the possiblity of the uefa cup

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 11:11:47 am »

Looking at those tables, I don't see how finishing 2nd could possibly be better.
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Dousty

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 11:12:27 am »
I think it is still true. I'd rather meet Barcelona later in the season - hence winning the group is a good thing. They are in a purple patch at the moment. Other than that I don't mind who we get.

A lot can happen between now and end of February mate so we'll take on whoever as far as I'm concerned.  Plus, Barca looked poor against Getafe at the weekend and every team has its off day.  And of course there's always the "underdog" factor that Benitez seems to thrive upon and get the most out of his players.  However, with Barca there's also the "revenge" factor to consider.

Apologies for the made up phrases in quotes :D
"Four or five working-class heroes were the inspiration for eleven others in red, who in turn put fifty thousand watching spectators into a fiery trance every ninety minutes."  Jamie Carragher, on Liverpool's legendary bootroom.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 11:16:58 am »

Can't see that mate, if the tables stay the same i'd defo wanna finish top to avoid the top sides.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 11:17:18 am »
What about away goals?

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 11:18:11 am »
What about away goals?
1-1 both games

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 11:18:35 am »
Play our reserves/youth  in the last game, its a nothing game.  finish top or finish 2nd, we will be playing a quality team over two legs and we can win those or have the last 4 years not proved anything....top team will not want to play us.

and if we go out in the quarters....so be it, we concentrate on the league, while the rest have their squad stretched.....either way, works for me.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 11:20:11 am »
What about away goals?

Only count between the teams level on points. As both LFC-Atletico games were 1-1, we both have 1 away goal apiece.

Offline Dousty

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 11:41:34 am »
The sad thing now is we might finish second and this group could and should have been won in madrid in thev first half there  but we now have to get a result in holland to get it but at least we are in the hat not like last season worrying about the possiblity of the uefa cup

To me with the overall quality of teams in the last 16 it means little.  We'll have to play the big guns sooner or later. 

Also we came 2nd in our group in 2004/5 and look what happened after that ;D We also didn't have an easy trip to the final (Leverkusen had been fantastic in their group that included Real Madrid and Juventus were also impressive; Chelsea we know about).  But fast-forward a year and we topped our group, unbeaten, but ended up losing to Benfica in the last 16.  We just need to make sure whoever we play in the knock-out stages we give it our best shot and as supporters get right behind the team in the Anfield leg.   Maybe having the 2nd leg at home would be the only benefit to finishing top of the group, though if we do enough in the first leg it may not matter where the 2nd leg is played...
"Four or five working-class heroes were the inspiration for eleven others in red, who in turn put fifty thousand watching spectators into a fiery trance every ninety minutes."  Jamie Carragher, on Liverpool's legendary bootroom.

Offline MazzaRed

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 11:54:36 am »
I hope I'm not being a blot here, but can someone remind me how the knock out stages are decided in terms of who plays at home first etc... ::)
Roman....if ever you're skint.....
                                              ......we've got 6 Euro's !

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 12:02:08 pm »
I hope I'm not being a blot here, but can someone remind me how the knock out stages are decided in terms of who plays at home first etc... ::)
Teams that finish top get drawn against teams that finish second. You can't play against the other team from your group or against another team from your country. In each tie, the side that finished top in their group plays the second leg at home.

@_michaelgill

Offline MazzaRed

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 12:10:26 pm »

But after the first 'knock out' stage what happens then as to who plays second leg at home? We had Arse at home 2nd leg in QF last season, but then second leg away in SF at Chelsea...does it just rotate?
Roman....if ever you're skint.....
                                              ......we've got 6 Euro's !

Offline love:the:game

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • If found please return to nearest Blackjack Table
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 12:15:24 pm »
This is all a bit academic, as Atletico winning at Marseille is far from a foregone conclusion. We struggled against them there, and if it wasn't for that ridiculous goal by Gerrard we'd have only got a draw.

We've got a much better chance getting 3 Points at PSV, than Atletico do at Marseille.

I think we'll finish at least 2 Points clear at the top.
I think we'd have won the league if we'd sold Keane to Man United.

Offline JayCloned

• Kemlynite
  • Rafa kept our season alive until January. Progress
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 12:19:42 pm »
But after the first 'knock out' stage what happens then as to who plays second leg at home? We had Arse at home 2nd leg in QF last season, but then second leg away in SF at Chelsea...does it just rotate?

Once it gets to the QF's all seeding is gone and it's luck of the draw FA Cup style.

Of the teams we can get in the next round Barca is the only one that would worry me they're playing awesome this season.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:23:06 pm by JayCloned »

Offline sat

• urday's my half day off, and off to the match I go
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 12:21:12 pm »

I think home/away is then down to who comes out of the bag first

Offline eric_cartman

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 12:22:02 pm »
This is all a bit academic, as Atletico winning at Marseille is far from a foregone conclusion. We struggled against them there, and if it wasn't for that ridiculous goal by Gerrard we'd have only got a draw.

We've got a much better chance getting 3 Points at PSV, than Atletico do at Marseille.

I agree, really can't see Atletico winning at Marseille and we'll probably trash PSV like usual.
LIVERPOOL FC

Offline kratos

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 12:46:48 pm »
In each tie, the side that finished top in their group plays the second leg at home.

If thats the case, finishing top is the thing to do. But theres tricky ties no matter which way you look at it. Group H, Juventus or Real Madrid? Obviously, we're more than capable of beating them, but for once I would like the Chelsea and the Mancs to get someone tricky rather than the usual shower they play who just bend over and let them walk over them.
Anyway..lets see what happens!
Would have been good to play our next matchday on a Wednesday, knowing what the tables look like from the night before.
Nevermind..should be ok.

Offline Big-Cisse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 01:07:59 pm »
an interesting point about this is that if the prem league applied the same rules then we would be top, not chelsea.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 03:20:10 pm »
an interesting point about this is that if the prem league applied the same rules then we would be top, not chelsea.
true as we beat them :D

anyway when is the draw for the knockouts. End of December or is it not till january
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline MoSzizlak

• Kopite
  • Yum Yum!
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 03:46:53 pm »

Not really as these rules only apply on completion of the group/League  ;)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 03:53:28 pm »
ideally we need to go and beat PSV by 2 goals, if Atletico get a freaky score at OM then fair play

it can't be that difficult

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 03:55:05 pm by rebel23 »

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 04:52:23 pm »

Is that Aero for Starfleet as your avatar?
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline jrewing

• Kopite
  • Whilst hogs rule, pigs are upwardly mobile...
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 04:55:19 pm »
1st / 2nd and UEFA or not for all 4 teams are dependant on the result of the other tie.

Good job we're kicking off at the same time. Scores at half time could effect all 4 teams second half performances too.
Well, we have possibilities. Whatever you want, you can choose to eat a lot or not. - Fernando Torres

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 05:01:14 pm »

Marsellie will get something against Madrid, imo.

I'm confident that if we win in Eindhoven them we'll top the group.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 05:08:10 pm »
I wanted us to finish 4th :(
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2008, 05:10:36 pm »
I wanted us to finish 4th :(

Guess you're anti-Rafa then, yes?

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »
Is that Aero for Starfleet as your avatar?

Barry Hercules, but yes it is Star Fleet.

Offline Pip

• Legacy Fan
    • Footy Blog
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2008, 06:30:26 pm »
I don't see the fuss over finishing 1st or 2nd. We all know by now, Rafa thrives against the euro giants. Don't think we've got a reason to be scared of anyone in Europe.

Offline Football CRAZY

• Thick Prick
  • Legacy Fan
  • simply too intelligent, sorry.
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2008, 06:37:21 pm »
Would rather not play Barcelona yet, but if we manage to avoid them it would probably be better to finish 2nd looking at the teams.

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2008, 06:53:45 pm »
Would rather not play Barcelona yet,

It would be almost 3 months awy. A LOT can happen in the meantime.

Offline jamiehill

• Kopite
  • MacIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2008, 07:01:16 pm »
It makes no difference where we finish. We are in the last 16. That is what counts. The big Euro teams will be fighting to finish first if we come first, and they will sit back, maybe lose their last game if we come second. Either way, they will be aiming to lessen their chances of facing Liverpool. - Wouldn't you be ?

We can take on anyone in Europe and beat them. They all know it.
The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. They showed their unconditional support at half-time when they were losing 3-0 and still they didn't stop singing." Diego Maradona

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2008, 07:11:26 pm »
Rafa gave a hint last night that finishing top of the group is not the be all and end all. He reminded us that we finished top of the group in '05-'06 and then lost twice to Benfica.

He will have his eye firmly on Dec 13th when we are at home to Hull C.  No easy games as we should know by now. Many CL teams suffer in their next game after a European away trip, so I would not expect our strongest team to start in Eindhoven.

Unless the PL is not a top priority  :)
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!