Author Topic: Whats in your golf bag!!  (Read 6042 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Whats in your golf bag!!
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 09:55:14 am »
I think any starter shouldnt go near a 2 or 3 or 4 iron, they are tough to hit...
try some pitch n putt too, that would get you chipping and putting, and hitting the higher clubs well

For some reason I am the opposite. I effectively use my 3 iron as my driver because I can't control woods! Can jit it fairly well off the fairway as well. Have bought a hybrid to try and add a bit of extra distance but doesn't seem to have worked on the few times I've used it.

Offline stfabians

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 06:40:59 pm »
For some reason I am the opposite. I effectively use my 3 iron as my driver because I can't control woods! Can jit it fairly well off the fairway as well. Have bought a hybrid to try and add a bit of extra distance but doesn't seem to have worked on the few times I've used it.

try swinging it more like you would a 7 seven iron

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #42 on: August 7, 2010, 05:26:15 pm »
So I've been a 'golfer' for about 3 weeks.

I went into a local golf shop and basically said to the fella "Look, I've never swung a club in my life. I'm looking to take up golf as a hobbie...nothing to serious....what would you recommend me as a beginner....my budget is £250.."

He recommended me these

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/gear/searchresults/Club-Sets/MD-Golf-Black-Hawk-Set/Post.aspx

He threw in a trolley, 2 packs of tee's and 25 used 'Srixon balls'(??) and the biggest umbrella I've ever seen for £205

I've been out 2/3 times a week since I got them. I'm shit but every time I'm out I hit at least one shot that make me feel like Tiger fucking woods.

Last week I played a Links course......one of the top ten in Ireland apparently......I wanted to cry after about 3 holes....my scorecard resembled the fucking Lotto numbers. But It was a great experience. Probably not the wisest choice for my first '18 holer' (I usually play the local 9 holes...)

I'm hooked.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #43 on: August 7, 2010, 05:35:58 pm »

I went into a local golf shop and basically said to the fella "Look, I've never swung a club in my life. I'm looking to take up golf as a hobbie...nothing to serious....what would you recommend me as a beginner....my budget is £250.."

He recommended me these

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/gear/searchresults/Club-Sets/MD-Golf-Black-Hawk-Set/Post.aspx

He threw in a trolley, 2 packs of tee's and 25 used 'Srixon balls'(??) and the biggest umbrella I've ever seen for £205

I've been out 2/3 times a week since I got them. I'm shit but every time I'm out I hit at least one shot that make me feel like Tiger fucking woods.

Last week I played a Links course......one of the top ten in Ireland apparently......I wanted to cry after about 3 holes....my scorecard resembled the fucking Lotto numbers[/s]. But It was a great experience. Probably not the wisest choice for my first '18 holer' (I usually play the local 9 holes...)

I'm hooked.
:lmao

Just keep playing mate and keep your head up. As soon as you lose slight concentration on the golf course everything can go tits up, it starts with 1 bad hole, then 2, 3 and so on. Then if you're like me you start wrapping clubs round trees :D (not recommended). Take your time on every single shot and don't rush. You'll soon see improvements and you'll be glad you got into it, it's a great sport to play.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #44 on: August 7, 2010, 05:46:31 pm »

He recommended me these

Last week I played a Links course......one of the top ten in Ireland apparently......I wanted to cry after about 3 holes....my scorecard resembled the fucking Lotto numbers. But It was a great experience. Probably not the wisest choice for my first '18 holer' (I usually play the local 9 holes...)

I'm hooked.
haha, good stuff! ;D

where did you play?

Offline stevemacsteve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #45 on: August 7, 2010, 05:55:56 pm »

He recommended me these

I'm hooked.

Decent enough beginners set, sounds like you will be needing to upgrade soon though :D

My bag is starting to shape up nicely after investing in a new set of irons and 3 wood. Currently got-

Wilson Deep Red 09 Cart Bag

Wilson Staff Di9 Steel Irons

Taylormade Burner 08 Fairway Wood Graphite 15 degree (stiff shaft)

Callaway FT-i Driver 9 degree, Fujikura Speeder 686 shaft (draw bias)

Srixon Z-Star balls which to me play the same as Pro V1's but slightly less durable and £5 less for a dozen.

+ an old Wilson putter and standard wedge that both need updating. Any suggestions for both? Anyone got the TaylorMade Daytona 1 RSI Putter? Currently £55 at American Golf, seems decent..
http://twitter.com/stevewatt1

John looks like a "special" guy who's just won a day out training with his heroes.
"My names John!  I like crayons!"

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #46 on: August 7, 2010, 05:58:56 pm »
bought some taylormade TP black golf balls today.. bargain at 19£

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #47 on: August 7, 2010, 06:24:59 pm »
I have a set of weighted arl irons in the boot of my car, PW-3. Boss

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: August 7, 2010, 07:18:35 pm »

Just keep playing mate and keep your head up. As soon as you lose slight concentration on the golf course everything can go tits up, it starts with 1 bad hole, then 2, 3 and so on. Then if you're like me you start wrapping clubs round trees :D (not recommended). Take your time on every single shot and don't rush. You'll soon see improvements and you'll be glad you got into it, it's a great sport to play.

I know mate, in my brief 'career' I've loved every second of being on the course.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 7, 2010, 07:22:02 pm »
haha, good stuff! ;D

where did you play?

Played Portsalon, in Donegal mate, fucking lovely course. Have a few of them double greens that are about 70ft long.

It was blowing a gale too. It was fucking tough.

@rednich85

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 7, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »

:missus

No,No, No - keep your head down.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #51 on: August 7, 2010, 07:57:23 pm »
Played Portsalon, in Donegal mate, fucking lovely course. Have a few of them double greens that are about 70ft long.

It was blowing a gale too. It was fucking tough.
ah... I'll actually be headin up with my bird and me folks soon on a trip around donegal and over as far as Antrim.. Dont think ill get to bring me clubs tho :(

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2010, 09:26:43 pm »
didnt want to start a new thread...

looking for a new driver. can anyone reccommend a good one or tell me which ones to stay away from?

looking at this. 2nd hand for €40

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2010, 09:28:33 pm »
didnt want to start a new thread...

looking for a new driver. can anyone reccommend a good one or tell me which ones to stay away from?

looking at this. 2nd hand for €40

have a look on ebay for a taylormade R7, should be able to pick up some 2nd hand for about 50-60 quid.

[edit] I wouldnt pay 4quid for the one you listed, never mind 40 :)

Callaway did release better big berthas after this release, and the war bir series were superb.

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2010, 09:48:48 pm »
have a look on ebay for a taylormade R7, should be able to pick up some 2nd hand for about 50-60 quid.

[edit] I wouldnt pay 4quid for the one you listed, never mind 40 :)

Callaway did release better big berthas after this release, and the war bir series were superb.

really! i hit a few balls in the driving range with the war bird 10degree and the GBB 2 above and felt the later was far easier to hit..   

i have a tailormade at the minute (but one of the ball bearings in the head is gone) and for me the GBB2 even feels better that. might look for a R9 tomorrow but dont want to buy off ebay..need to hit a few balls before i buy it.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:35 pm »
really! i hit a few balls in the driving range with the war bird 10degree and the GBB 2 above and felt the later was far easier to hit..   

i have a tailormade at the minute (but one of the ball bearings in the head is gone) and for me the GBB2 even feels better that. might look for a R9 tomorrow but dont want to buy off ebay..need to hit a few balls before i buy it.
r7 is cheaper than the r9.