Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1453963 times)

Offline aussie_ox

• Main Stander
  • LFC Blood Red all the way
Re: Virgil Van Dijk PFA Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year
« Reply #6360 on: February 11, 2020, 04:41:51 am »
He won’t surpass him on legacy, but ability wise he is the best I’ve ever seen, be it I’m fairly young.

Would have liked to see the likes of Paul Mcgrath in his prime though, talent wise from those I’ve seen Ledley King Thiago Silva and Ferdinand top the pile, but VVD is better.

I'd agree with this,  Virgil is one of the very best CB's I have ever seen in 20 years of following football.    He's up there with Costacurta/Baresi/Nesta/Maldini.     

Pretty hard to surprass Maldini on legacy but I reckon Virg will be thought of more highly than the others once his career is done.     He also seems to be pretty tough - I wouldn't be surprised to see him go down the Ronaldo route and take a Serie A swansong at 34/35 years of age, of course after winning 3 titles and 3 CL's for us hopefully!!
Klopp that!

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6361 on: February 11, 2020, 09:12:07 am »
I am at fault too but I do think there is no need to compare players from different era/period. It’s not comparing apples to apples. I’ve watched football keenly for the past 45 years more or less. Virgil is one of the best centre backs ever and he is still getting better. He is without a doubt, the best centre back in the world today

On a side note ... Maldini was a left back. One of the best ever. He was a good centre back in the twilight of his career

Maldini played as CB for Milan. World class, but he disgustingly indulged in nepotism to get his kid a place at the club. Milan actually kept his son at the club for years with his dad's name on the shirt.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6362 on: February 11, 2020, 11:19:10 am »
Maldini played as CB for Milan. World class, but he disgustingly indulged in nepotism to get his kid a place at the club. Milan actually kept his son at the club for years with his dad's name on the shirt.

To be fair the lad is 18 and has already had his Serie A debut and has represented Italy at U18 and U19 level, I doubt it's purely nepotism.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6363 on: February 11, 2020, 11:24:28 am »
Is that what his Dad Cesare did for a young Paolo?
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6364 on: February 11, 2020, 11:29:07 am »

Is it really that disgusting that the Maldini name is revered so much by Milan?

It's hugely sentimental and probably poor judgement but Cesare was a Milan legend, Paolo was an even bigger Milan and global football icon. I think it's fair to indulge them the hope that Daniel will be too, though the older lad has utterly bombed and never got close. He won't get much further on nepotism alone.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6365 on: February 11, 2020, 11:33:27 am »

I wonder if any of Paolo's opponents ever tried to sledge him. "Oi Paolo! You're only in the team 'cos of yer dad.", says Harry Kewell in 2005.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6366 on: February 11, 2020, 11:48:32 am »

Yeah, it was a bizarre comment. Imagine if Gerrard wanted to send his kid here, would we say no without even trying him out? There are plenty of academy kids who would not make it here, so what's wrong in having another who's the son of a legend as an academy kid? If he's good enough, he'll make it, as simple as.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6367 on: February 11, 2020, 02:10:24 pm »
Yeah, it was a bizarre comment. Imagine if Gerrard wanted to send his kid here, would we say no without even trying him out? There are plenty of academy kids who would not make it here, so what's wrong in having another who's the son of a legend as an academy kid? If he's good enough, he'll make it, as simple as.

yeah imagine if gerrard's father also played for the club and was successful and a legend, why wouldnt one try to get their kid at the club that their family has been part of for over 40 years

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6369 on: February 13, 2020, 12:22:29 pm »
Virgil van Dijk was a Liverpool bargain at £75m. What would he cost now?

Yes, our opening price is "the lot".

Getting sick of this, every single article about us at the moment is speculating on one or more of our players leaving.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #6370 on: February 13, 2020, 12:25:39 pm »
Virgil van Dijk was a Liverpool bargain at £75m. What would he cost now?

Yes, our opening price is "the lot".

Fuck me, here's a complete guide to how to make a story out of absolutely nothing.

He even admits it himself:
There is no actual need for Van Dijk to go anywhere and quite possibly he won’t, especially if Liverpool are willing to practically double his money by offering an early contract extension, though suggestions that Pep Guardiola might be about to turn up at Juventus next season and wave a cheque for £150m under the Merseyside club’s nose are an amusing way of passing the time until the full fixture programme returns.

:wanker
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6371 on: February 13, 2020, 12:58:24 pm »
Should win player of the year at a canter.  But I think he may have fallen into that freaky category like Gerrard did, where your level is so staggeringly high every week for such a long period, that people kind of get used to it.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6372 on: February 13, 2020, 01:08:24 pm »
Should win player of the year at a canter.  But I think he may have fallen into that freaky category like Gerrard did, where your level is so staggeringly high every week for such a long period, that people kind of get used to it.

He's that good, rival fans make gifs about their own players successfully knocking the ball past him. ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #6373 on: February 13, 2020, 01:15:19 pm »
Fuck me, here's a complete guide to how to make a story out of absolutely nothing.

He even admits it himself:
There is no actual need for Van Dijk to go anywhere and quite possibly he won’t, especially if Liverpool are willing to practically double his money by offering an early contract extension, though suggestions that Pep Guardiola might be about to turn up at Juventus next season and wave a cheque for £150m under the Merseyside club’s nose are an amusing way of passing the time until the full fixture programme returns.

£150m eh? I am assuming that would be the first installment of 10...?
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #6374 on: February 13, 2020, 05:44:05 pm »
Virgil is a defender, a creator, a goal-scorer, an organiser and a second on-field captain. He's also a sexy beast and a talismanic figure for players and fans. I'd say it's only fair that any club who wanted to buy him should pay 100m+ for each of those roles
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6375 on: February 13, 2020, 11:18:57 pm »
Good shout on McGrath, I think he was supremely talented from what I seen of him toward the end of his career. On the English lads, personally I always thought Woodgate was the most talented of his generation but had shocking injuries. VVD is head and shoulders above all of them though.
VVD for me is easily the best the Prem has seen. I don't care if he has only been at a big club the last few years, or hasn't won much just yet. Doesn't matter. Ferdinand, Terry, Adams, Stam, Sol Cambell, Carvalho, Kompany. All quality centre backs but they all had a flaw. VVD doesn't

and that is the scariest thing of all, he literally doesn't have a flaw, how many players in any position can you say that about?
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6376 on: February 14, 2020, 12:47:28 am »
He's alright, I guess. No Harry Maguire, I would say.

Offline fiveways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6377 on: February 14, 2020, 01:12:55 am »
Maguire's good, but he's not a Gillette player - the best a man can get.

For too long now we've been buyingg Bic disposables with the odd low-grade Gillette, but between Salah, Mane, Keita, and now possibly this one, we're finally shopping from the top shelf consistently ;D

Love looking back over old posts - this is POPs spot-on thoughts on Maguire from page 1 of this thread 😎

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6378 on: February 14, 2020, 02:57:15 am »
I'd agree with this,  Virgil is one of the very best CB's I have ever seen in 20 years of following football.    He's up there with Costacurta/Baresi/Nesta/Maldini.     

Pretty hard to surprass Maldini on legacy but I reckon Virg will be thought of more highly than the others once his career is done.     He also seems to be pretty tough - I wouldn't be surprised to see him go down the Ronaldo route and take a Serie A swansong at 34/35 years of age, of course after winning 3 titles and 3 CL's for us hopefully!!

I mean, he's only 29. I can easily see him playing another 4-5 years for us, injuries permitting.

He could feasibly win a couple more CLs and a few titles in that time. We're certainly as well placed to do it as anyone.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6379 on: February 14, 2020, 03:07:10 am »
He’s 28 for another 6 months - not yet 29.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6380 on: February 14, 2020, 03:12:18 am »
He’s 28 for another 6 months - not yet 29.

Sorry. By the start of next season was sort of what I meant - I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.

I think it's fairly feasible for us to win 2 more league titles and 2 more CL titles sometime in the next 5 seasons. Not out of the question at all. Particularly as we appear to be going from strength to strength right now.

Offline Gutzon Borglum

• Kopite
« Reply #6381 on: February 14, 2020, 10:55:03 am »
Sorry. By the start of next season was sort of what I meant - I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.

I think it's fairly feasible for us to win 2 more league titles and 2 more CL titles sometime in the next 5 seasons. Not out of the question at all. Particularly as we appear to be going from strength to strength right now.

We're huge favourites to win it next year, and more than likely the year after that as well. The next 2 years is prime Sadio, prime Bobby, prime Mo, prime Gini, prime Virgil and Alisson being the best keeper on the planet all at the same time, we are losing fuck all for the forseeable.

We should be aiming for more than merely 2 leagues over the next 5 years, we are that good.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6382 on: February 14, 2020, 11:39:42 pm »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/virgil-van-dijk-day-liverpool-17751769

Hahaha.

"I was out of breath and blowing out of backside and he just turned to me and said ‘I wouldn't even bother, I’m just too good'."
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #6383 on: February 15, 2020, 12:04:04 pm »
Matip is very good at that too.

Yes he is. We are incredibly blessed.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #6384 on: February 15, 2020, 10:45:32 pm »
One game away from his 50th clean sheet for Liverpool and he's been here just two years. Incredible.
Linudden.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #6385 on: February 19, 2020, 03:29:28 pm »
Last night we fell victim to the one very small chink in his armour

When a cross comes in from the right and it reaches him at foot level he won’t clear with his left foot. He wants to Open his body out and clear with right. Last night he didn’t quite mange it and and ended up giving away a needless corner they scored from.

Knowing him I bet you’ll see him try clearing with left more in those situations now

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6386 on: February 29, 2020, 07:38:56 pm »
Van Dijk seems to be overburdened with the captain's armband. This is not a reaction to today's game, everyone was poor, but since Hendo was unavailable Van Dijk plays with an extra load on his shoulders. He's trying to organize from the back, but the team becoming more dependent on those commands renders is far more toothless. Reminds me of Hyypia when Ged took the armband off of him, he went to a new level. Have the same feeling about Virg. And in a sense, I hope that Milly starts in the cup and Hendo comes back.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6387 on: February 29, 2020, 07:40:36 pm »
I think he was slack for the first goal not closing the player down on the line, but generally was OK. Trent, Fabinho, Roberston, Gini were all much much worse for me.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #6388 on: February 29, 2020, 08:02:41 pm »
Was awful today, worst I've ever seen him. But I'll take one off day every 2 years or every 4 trophy wins of imperious glory.

Plus he had doombrain next to him.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #6389 on: February 29, 2020, 08:22:43 pm »
Van Dijk seems to be overburdened with the captain's armband. This is not a reaction to today's game, everyone was poor, but since Hendo was unavailable Van Dijk plays with an extra load on his shoulders. He's trying to organize from the back, but the team becoming more dependent on those commands renders is far more toothless. Reminds me of Hyypia when Ged took the armband off of him, he went to a new level. Have the same feeling about Virg. And in a sense, I hope that Milly starts in the cup and Hendo comes back.
Felt the same - his reaction time seemed off his usual high standard - like he's overthinking things

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #6390 on: February 29, 2020, 08:31:42 pm »
Bad day at the office. Good that he’s got it out of the way, need him back on top form for the remainder of our games.

Move on to the next game.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6391 on: February 29, 2020, 08:41:15 pm »
His worst game Ive seen since hes been at the club.Such is football

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6392 on: February 29, 2020, 08:45:49 pm »
Bad day at the office. Good that he’s got it out of the way, need him back on top form for the remainder of our games.

Move on to the next game.
Bad day at the office for everyone, not just Virge. It's like everyone's contract says they don't need to play on Leap Days, and now they were forced into a game regardless. Glad the next one won't be around until in four years time
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #6393 on: February 29, 2020, 09:25:50 pm »
I think he was in shock trying to comprehend what Lovren was doing half the time today.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6394 on: February 29, 2020, 09:27:36 pm »
Still trying to figure out why he’s let the fella just cross it for 1-0

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6395 on: February 29, 2020, 09:28:51 pm »
Gomez was carrying him for ages. [emoji16]

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6396 on: February 29, 2020, 09:54:36 pm »
Still trying to figure out why he’s let the fella just cross it for 1-0
Probably surprised to see Lovren just let it bounce by him while he grappled Deeney.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6397 on: February 29, 2020, 10:51:31 pm »
Probably surprised to see Lovren just let it bounce by him while he grappled Deeney.

There’s plenty of that to be had on this site and many others.

But once it went past Lovren that was bizarrely casual of him. I dunno who he thought would be picking the pieces up there

Jurgen Klopp

Offline lucho07072016

• Main Stander
« Reply #6398 on: February 29, 2020, 10:52:39 pm »
That's only the 5th league defeat van Dijk has had since he joined us. Does anyone know who his CB partner was in 4 of those 5 games?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6399 on: February 29, 2020, 11:10:03 pm »
That's only the 5th league defeat van Dijk has had since he joined us. Does anyone know who his CB partner was in 4 of those 5 games?
We're all waiting with baited breath for you to tell us.