Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3448585 times)

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #200 on: January 9, 2006, 10:25:10 pm »
I thought it was absolutely cracking. Thoroughly recommend it- but if you do see it and find it to be utterly unrealistic bollocks, spare me  ;)
Thenscene with the target practice and the Merc is a classic.

I'm on guard at the weekend, I'll try and get it out or borrow it for then.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #201 on: January 9, 2006, 10:27:20 pm »
By the way, this
a mortar attack interrupted it
has to be the greatest reason ever for not watching a film.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #202 on: January 9, 2006, 10:45:20 pm »
Jarhead is pretty good, yanks, as ever, have missed the point and gone into their default setting of whingeing and throwing about accusations of bias and blah blah fucking blah, ignore all that and you'll enjoy it.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline TommyP

• Kopite
« Reply #203 on: January 9, 2006, 10:58:07 pm »
Jarhead is pretty good, yanks, as ever, have missed the point and gone into their default setting of whingeing and throwing about accusations of bias and blah blah fucking blah, ignore all that and you'll enjoy it.

have you seen it then?

i think it looks well good from the trailers that i have seen, probably see it some time after it's released on friday  ;) ( i think that's when it is released)
electric feel

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #204 on: January 9, 2006, 10:58:15 pm »
Watched 2 films on Thursday... The Constant Gardener, which is still showing at FACT, and then came home and watched La Vita e Bella. The former was a good yarn very creatively shot, but very slow paced and occasionally sleep inducing.

Slow paced? I'm sure i saw you post a comment about 'Broken Flowers' as your film of the year, true/false? I saw that recently and that is quite slow paced. I love Bill Murray but he was very very minimalist in that. So much so that you just know that anyone who doesn't like Murray at all would not like that film. Much preferred him in 'Lost in Translation'.

Just saw 'A history of violence' tonight. How the fuck can people release clips like the ones they did for that? From the snippets i saw i thought it was going to be about domestic violence or something tame and as a result i was completely uninterested until today. But its mob related (Not quite Godfather style but you know!).

All films mentioned were good anyway, worth seeing. (Including 'The constant gardener')
« Last Edit: January 9, 2006, 11:00:37 pm by Drobs »
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline anfield_reds

• Legacy Fan
  • We're only in it for the money
« Reply #205 on: January 9, 2006, 11:14:15 pm »
Went to see a few days ago "Good night and good luck". Very good and very interesting film. I was quite impressed by David Strathairn who plays Edward Murrow, a CBS journalist who bravely launched some harsh attacks towards McCarthy (the senator who hunted the American communists in the 50's). Strongly recommend it to anyone interested into history and media/journalism.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2006, 02:04:56 pm »
I am to, but it looks like the kind of film I hate (ie not all that related to reality) from the trailers I've seen (and yes, I know the guy who wrote the book was a serving USM in the first Gulf War, but that doesn't really mean the film is a direct copy of his book)

I've had my head in the sand again as I didn't know it was an adaptation! I'll see the film anyway, but will also be interested to read the book now.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2006, 02:11:09 pm »
Went to see a few days ago "Good night and good luck". Very good and very interesting film. I was quite impressed by David Strathairn who plays Edward Murrow, a CBS journalist who bravely launched some harsh attacks towards McCarthy (the senator who hunted the American communists in the 50's). Strongly recommend it to anyone interested into history and media/journalism.

I've heard good things about this film. May give it a go.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2006, 02:21:09 pm »
Also, I watched The Transporter last night. So bad it's good or so bad it's just plain bad? Somewhere in between methinks. I don't mind Jason Statham normally but he is possibly the only man alive incapable of nailing an American accent. And the oiled-up fight scene is, well, a bit shit.

Offline scouse and proud plc.

• Favourite Song: Eye of the tiger - Survivor. Favourite holiday destination - Siberia. Has a weekend drinking problem.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alright Aldo........
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2006, 12:37:42 pm »
Went to see Jarhead myself last night, enjoyed it.  Some funny parts, but some serious ones aswell.

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2006, 01:22:40 pm »
I watched 'Wolf Creek' on DVD last night and it is offically the WORST FILM EVER.  It actually got good reviews from critics, which shows how much they know.

Four annoying Aussies who you couldnt give a toss about go to the 'outback', meet this fella, he ties them up, kills 2, 2 get away, he catches them, kills them, credits roll. Awful awful movie.

Offline TommyP

• Kopite
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2006, 02:34:48 pm »
anybody seen old school  :wave
electric feel

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2006, 04:49:25 pm »
anybody seen old school  :wave

Aye. All about, FRANK THE TANK! FRANK THE TANK! :)

Offline TommyP

• Kopite
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2006, 06:16:29 pm »
Aye. All about, FRANK THE TANK! FRANK THE TANK! :)

:lmao
electric feel

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2006, 01:11:43 pm »
I watched 'Wolf Creek' on DVD last night and it is offically the WORST FILM EVER.  It actually got good reviews from critics, which shows how much they know.

Four annoying Aussies who you couldnt give a toss about go to the 'outback', meet this fella, he ties them up, kills 2, 2 get away, he catches them, kills them, credits roll. Awful awful movie.
I know Ben_jp agrees with you also but i really enjoyed Wolf Creek.

Reminded me of a sort of Aussie Deliverance. The films villain was a real nasty piece of work - i liked him.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 01:15:18 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2006, 02:02:15 pm »
I know Ben_jp agrees with you also but i really enjoyed Wolf Creek.

Reminded me of a sort of Aussie Deliverance. The films villain was a real nasty piece of work - i liked him.

:) Not quite the worst film ever but, no, I didn't like it. Partly because I got led along by the hype though. Was genuinely excited about seeing it, then felt let down. Thought the villain was one XXXX away from a game of Knifey Spoony (thank-you, Simpsons) but, hey, different horses for different courses and all that.

I watched Garden State last night. Great, sweet, kooky, lovely, funny and heartwarming. For me any of those words work to describe it. Zach Braff is great in Scrubs, but Garden State shows a much more tender, layered side. Well worth a watch if you don't mind a bit of gentle storytelling.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2006, 06:22:20 pm »
I agree about wolf creek being the worst film ever.
A great film to watch (On dvd) is "Im not Scared", its an italian film subtitled.

Anchorman is the one to watch though

Going to see jarhead later also.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2006, 09:37:58 am »
I watched Garden State last night. Great, sweet, kooky, lovely, funny and heartwarming. For me any of those words work to describe it. Zach Braff is great in Scrubs, but Garden State shows a much more tender, layered side. Well worth a watch if you don't mind a bit of gentle storytelling.

I loved Garden State. It wasn't cheesy, very down to earth and the 'happy ending' was believable.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2006, 09:43:02 am »
I loved Garden State. It wasn't cheesy, very down to earth and the 'happy ending' was believable.

I found it a bit lightweight, but perhaps I need to watch it again. Loved this single shot, though  ;D Oh, and The Shins track is superb.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2006, 11:10:43 am »
I found it a bit lightweight, but perhaps I need to watch it again. Loved this single shot, though  ;D Oh, and The Shins track is superb.

Heh, yeah, that was great.

I guess I was the same first time I saw it. I thought it was a bit "oh, so he's a guy who goes home and finds happiness again. Great."

But it isn't that simple, I have to admit. It's not a complete ending because they're all really still in a mess. It's just the little things like the bond between him and Natalie Portman's character and his friends and yeah. To me, it's just one of those 'heart warming' films I can actually stand to watch. Usually they overload the cheese factor.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2006, 11:11:45 am »
Also bonus points for the extremely bad taste "Three Times A Lady" for the quadraplegic.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2006, 04:16:18 pm »
Popping on while at work, I have a quick rant

Jonathon Ross is a KNOB!!!!!

Says 'A Cock & Bull Story' is a poor mishmash of a film and reccomended staying away

YET

Has the audacity to praise 'Get rich or die tryin' I hate him so so so much

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2006, 07:40:39 pm »
watched jarhead last night. it was very good, but not brilliant. i was hoping it would avoid the usual USM macho shouting drill sergeant bullshit, but it never. It is brilliantly,brilliantly acted. the imagery is superb.the soundtrack is great. but once again the gulf war is portrayed as a war that was fought by the yanks alone.
Go along and watch it because it is entertaining from beginning to end, but dont go expecting 'saving private ryan' type battle scenes.
Think 'apocalypse now' meets 'platoon', minus the battle scenes.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2006, 02:57:52 am »
watched jarhead last night. it was very good, but not brilliant. i was hoping it would avoid the usual USM macho shouting drill sergeant bullshit, but it never. It is brilliantly,brilliantly acted. the imagery is superb.the soundtrack is great. but once again the gulf war is portrayed as a war that was fought by the yanks alone.
Go along and watch it because it is entertaining from beginning to end, but dont go expecting 'saving private ryan' type battle scenes.
Think 'apocalypse now' meets 'platoon', minus the battle scenes.

Just watched it now. And waited. And Waited. And got bored. And then it ended, finally - without even a hint of a storyline.

Poor film overall, although the acting is good, and it starts off pretty funny. It just goes nowhere (which, some will say, is the point of the film in an ironic way), if I wanted to spend so long watching sod all happen I'd go to Goodison on a Saturday afternoon.

Some of the imagery was good, with the curnt corpses somewhat disturbing... but I swear I saw a burnt our modern Fiat Punto in one of the scenes - gonna tell me they existed in 1989? ;D
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: January 18, 2006, 04:31:03 am »
Just watched it now. And waited. And Waited. And got bored. And then it ended, finally - without even a hint of a storyline.

Poor film overall, although the acting is good, and it starts off pretty funny. It just goes nowhere (which, some will say, is the point of the film in an ironic way), if I wanted to spend so long watching sod all happen I'd go to Goodison on a Saturday afternoon.

Some of the imagery was good, with the curnt corpses somewhat disturbing... but I swear I saw a burnt our modern Fiat Punto in one of the scenes - gonna tell me they existed in 1989? ;D

Goes nowhere...haven't seen the movie, but read the book when it first came out...good book. The point of the book is that the war did go nowhere...and it was realistic in that for a great deal of time the soldiers don't really do anything at all as far as fighting goes. It's a realistic depiction of modern warfare as far as I understand. 
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: January 18, 2006, 01:34:58 pm »
Goes nowhere...haven't seen the movie, but read the book when it first came out...good book. The point of the book is that the war did go nowhere...and it was realistic in that for a great deal of time the soldiers don't really do anything at all as far as fighting goes. It's a realistic depiction of modern warfare as far as I understand. 
;)

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: January 18, 2006, 01:55:45 pm »
Saw Jarhead last night and did enjoy it. It's not groundbreaking in terms of characters and it's message, but the cinematography is superb; the shots of the oil fields were particularly striking.
Do think it is quite a vicarious film, in that I felt the emotions being portrayed on screen e.g. frustration at the lack of action; fear of what might happen when Swoff held a gun to Fergus' face etc
Do think the opening scene owes plenty to Full Metal Jacket though, however no-one grillls new recruits like Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

Shopgirl and Munich are next on the list of things to see. If anyone is thinking of seeing the latter then there is a documentary airing next week on Channel 4 (Thursday 26th) called Munich: Mossad's Revenge. Radio Times decribed it as being a counter to Spielberg's film.

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: January 18, 2006, 02:59:23 pm »
watched 'anchorman' on dvd, funny as fuck but i don't think it will appeal to everybody. it is just completely barking mad.my stomach was aching from laughing after watching it.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 18, 2006, 03:12:04 pm »
watched 'anchorman' on dvd, funny as fuck but i don't think it will appeal to everybody. it is just completely barking mad.my stomach was aching from laughing after watching it.

Now that, sir, is one we agree on.

Hilarious... Brick Tamland is a legend - "Erm... do you wanna... err... come to the pant party?"
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 18, 2006, 05:44:47 pm »
Now that, sir, is one we agree on.

Hilarious... Brick Tamland is a legend - "Erm... do you wanna... err... come to the pant party?"
"San Diego, which of course, when translated means, 'a whales vagina'"

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 18, 2006, 10:30:35 pm »
Anchorman is one of the funniest films ever.

Along with dumb and dumber, blazing saddles and monty python and the holy grail.

Offline Litherland_Leon

• OOT Feedback Tourist #1
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2006, 05:31:15 pm »
anchorman is on tonight as well, sky movies.

i watched Never Die Alone last night on sky movies, great film. anyone who's into gangster type films should give this a look next time it's on.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2006, 12:02:07 am »
Possibly the most overrated film of the past year, at best its a bad, less well written version of Magnolia, though I think if I'd have gone at it 'clean' without all the hype, it may have been better.

Ludacris was good in it though.

;D Shows how opinion differs doesn't it. I loved 'Crash'. I recently saw Magnolia for the first time and loved it (See the thread about me saying that surely they should be liked in the same ways for the same kind of reasons) and i thought the start and end with Ludacris (Not him personally just the part) didn't really fit as well.

Anyway, its how we each view the world so...no right, no wrong.

I've just watched 'Walk the line' tonight and Mr Joaquin Phoenix, who i already liked anyway, was excellent. All the talk has been about Reese Witherspoon and i thought to myself (Trying to get my Oscars hat on) "Hmm, is that because the lead would be too 'easy' to applaud i wonder?"

And well, yeah, i think that's exactly what the mini hype is all about. He is the lead but he really does blow everything else out of the water. Gripping up and down performance, for me at least. But what do i know, i thought Ludacris should stick to the rappin'!
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2006, 06:47:30 pm »
I'm on course at the moment and eight of us from the course went to see Jarhead during the week.  Now you have to understand this gang of eight are all serving British army officers, each one having been through the ranks and having an accumulative service of over two hundred years.  Anyway, we trundled along to this multi plex not far from Camberley and all got rather concerned when I pointed out that a gang of well groomed blokes walking into a cinema that is also showing that Break Back Mountain film looks a bit funny, this resulted in everyone shouting 'Jarhead' at the lad in the kiosk to ensure everyone in the queue knew what we were going to see.

Watched the film and found it rather shite to be honest and not at all what was expected.  What was alarming though was that all of us, who could tell a few war stories of our own if we wished to, found it rather disturbing in recognising how close the director got it when he/she portrayed how the Spams (American soldiers) perform.  Saying that the sniper reaction was a bit OTT when the Major stopped his kill.  Bit of a strange film I thought but quite well acted as previously pointed out by others, one of them 'not happening' films for me I'm afraid.

Big Dava, I'm sure it doesn't take me to tell you that when you are on guard you are there to protect that location and not there to watch vids.  What you intend to do is a negligent performance of your duty and the modern day equivalent of sleeping on duty, a crime that used to be punishable by death, consider yourself slapped  ;).
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2006, 06:53:07 pm »
Big Dava, I'm sure it doesn't take me to tell you that when you are on guard you are there to protect that location and not there to watch vids.  What you intend to do is a negligent performance of your duty and the modern day equivalent of sleeping on duty, a crime that used to be punishable by death, consider yourself slapped  ;).

Guard here consists of sitting in the guard room and booking recruits in and out - MPGS do the actual guarding  ;)
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2006, 07:11:09 pm »
Any of you Army boys seen Buffalo Soldiers yet then?

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2006, 07:15:19 pm »
Any of you Army boys seen Buffalo Soldiers yet then?

Not yet - no one had it for me to borrow last weekend.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2006, 07:27:20 pm »
Can't wait to see "Hidden/Cache" (sorry for the lack of accent). The Guardian described it on Friday as "the first great film of the 21st century". High praise indeed, and as a devotee of French cinema, I won't be missing it.

Off to see Jarhead tonight. Any good?
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2006, 07:55:32 pm »
Can't wait to see "Hidden/Cache" (sorry for the lack of accent). The Guardian described it on Friday as "the first great film of the 21st century". High praise indeed, and as a devotee of French cinema, I won't be missing it.

Off to see Jarhead tonight. Any good?
yes, very good. :wave

Offline TommyP

• Kopite
« Reply #239 on: January 21, 2006, 08:59:56 pm »
went to see, Fun With Dick and Jane......it was alrite, very funny at times, anyone else seen it?
electric feel