Author Topic: Holidays - UK or abroad?  (Read 43604 times)

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Holidays - UK or abroad?
« Reply #320 on: August 10, 2021, 12:33:56 pm »

I'm due to go to Benidorm in November for a piss-up weekend for a close mate's 50th. There's a group of 6 of us who've been mates since early teens (some of us back to infant school days). We straddle 2 school years so over 14 months, we all reach 50.

The lad who's organised this is the social animal of the group (alternatively, the pisshead who's never grown up) and originally it was supposed to be just the 6 of us but he's thrown it open to more of his mates and there's now about 14 going in all.

He's got nothing on the agenda apart from "get up in the afternoon, get on the piss, grab a burger or KFC, back on the piss, club, hotel, repeat"

Sounds like a fucking nightmare to me. But I felt duty bound (reckon I'm going to be back in my room by midnight, chilling on the balcony)

As a group we usually steer clear of politics, but since Brexit and usually through the WhatsApp group, there've been a couple of flashpoints. Came to a head during the Euros with me reacting to nationalist bollocks and probably going too far toward two of them (including the lad who's organised the benidorm trip). Relations have been strained since.

Was hoping it'd be cancelled due to Covid but that looks a forlorn hope. Even considering just cancelling, but that'd be ending some friendships.

Dilemma.

Bars all close at midnight anyway so you'll be grand for your valcony.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: August 10, 2021, 02:38:01 pm »
Though I've read that the locals haven't taken too kindly to the sudden increase in tourist numbers and the popularity of route 500.

Those that aren't working in the tourist or hospitality industry presumably.

I think it's the same everywhere mate.

All those normally quiet, remote places are overcrowded now so many Brits are holidaying in the UK rather than abroad.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2021, 06:51:37 pm »
Just got back from a week in Dorset. We stayed in a caravan right on the Jurassic Coast, we were 5 minutes from durdle door and 10 mins from lulworth cove... absolutely stunning part of the country, great food in the local pubs and a great pace of village life.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2021, 07:02:55 pm »
Just got back from a week in Dorset. We stayed in a caravan right on the Jurassic Coast, we were 5 minutes from durdle door and 10 mins from lulworth cove... absolutely stunning part of the country, great food in the local pubs and a great pace of village life.

I do love it down there. Having family in Bournemouth has meant I've been down there loads.

Saying that, I'd still rather have a week on a Greek Island.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2021, 07:27:20 pm »
I do love it down there. Having family in Bournemouth has meant I've been down there loads.

Saying that, I'd still rather have a week on a Greek Island.

Went to Bournemouth, stunning beaches that go on and on. Did feel like a place where loads of stag/hen parties go though, could be that just happened to be the situation when we went this week.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: August 10, 2021, 07:34:05 pm »
Went to Bournemouth, stunning beaches that go on and on. Did feel like a place where loads of stag/hen parties go though, could be that just happened to be the situation when we went this week.

Never done a night out down there other than restaurants, so no idea if that is the norm. It probably does attract more of them now though, what with covid making it easier to stay in the UK rather than risk Spain.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: August 10, 2021, 09:26:04 pm »
Do you need to print off the passenger locator forms?

If it's for flying to Ireland, no, we just kept the form receipt the give on our phone. Saying that they never checked anything when we flew to Cork, not the locator forms, vaccine passport or daughters pcr test results.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #327 on: August 12, 2021, 03:52:47 pm »
Did feel like a place where loads of stag/hen parties go though, could be that just happened to be the situation when we went this week.

I saw dozens of hens in York last month over a single weekend. I guess there are loads of delayed weddings going on so they're getting stacked on top of each other this summer.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #328 on: August 12, 2021, 03:54:15 pm »
Think every major city is like that at the moment - I've done Manchester, London and obv Liverpool in the last 4 weeks and all of them have been full of stag/hens.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #329 on: August 12, 2021, 03:56:21 pm »
Think every major city is like that at the moment - I've done Manchester, London and obv Liverpool in the last 4 weeks and all of them have been full of stag/hens.

People probably wary of booking one abroad at the moment too.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: August 13, 2021, 10:44:39 pm »
Staying in a proper wood lodge in the lakes proper cozy, got a hot tub and up high and quite separate from neighbours. Just been sat on the decking listening to an owl

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #331 on: August 13, 2021, 10:53:44 pm »
Staying in a proper wood lodge in the lakes proper cozy, got a hot tub and up high and quite separate from neighbours. Just been sat on the decking listening to an owl
That twat Hodgson gets around, doesn't he?  :o

Anyway, it sounds idylic. Enjoy yourself.  8)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: August 13, 2021, 10:56:41 pm »
 ;D

Hooo...Hooo...the field mice were formidable opponents...Hooo...draw would be nirvana

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: August 14, 2021, 11:39:46 am »
Aer Lingus have cancelled our San Francisco trip so putting Plan B into action.

Croatia £70 return. Into Dubrovnik and out of Split. £70 worth of tests needed in total so £140 total for the trip. Think we're going to do that.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: August 15, 2021, 03:42:17 pm »
That twat Hodgson gets around, doesn't he?  :o

Anyway, it sounds idylic. Enjoy yourself.  8)

It's be lovely if it would stop fucking raining. We see more sun when we come here just after Christmas :butt

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #335 on: August 15, 2021, 08:10:58 pm »
Croatia £70 return. Into Dubrovnik and out of Split. £70 worth of tests needed in total so £140 total for the trip. Think we're going to do that.
Enjoy. I really like Croatia. Been a few times and can’t wait to go back.

We did exactly those flights a few years ago. Into Dubrovnik and island hopped to Split via Mljet (stayed in Pomena, great swimming in the nearby lakes), Korçula (stayed near Lumbarda, nice beaches, great wine called ‘Grk’ and Korçula Town is lovely) then onto Hvar (got the bus over to Jelsa, beautiful & much quieter than Hvar Town, more our pace). Finally onto Brač and stayed in Bol. Again lovely and that mad beach Zlatni Rat nearby. Had a couple of days left when we got to Split but we’d seen the town before, so we hired a car and went to Bosnia. Stayed in Mostar. A very atmospheric and moving place, will never forget standing on the rebuilt bridge at sunset as the mosques started up the call to prayer. Hairs on the neck stuff. Hot though if you go in August. Jeez, boiling hot. Edit: just checked and it’s 29 degrees at 9pm. Yep, sounds about right!

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: August 15, 2021, 09:06:58 pm »
I was thinking of doing a month-long trip to Spain around Nov-Dec, I have never been. Was thinking of spending 3-4 days per city (Maybe more in Madrid and Barcelona). Currently thinking of visiting

Madrid
Barcelona
Valencia
Seville
Granada
Cadiz
Canary Islands (Grand Canary or Tenerife)

Want somewhere hot, so will avoid Northern Spain (save it for a future trip). Anyone got any tips?

I assume language won't be a big hurdle in Spain.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: August 15, 2021, 09:36:16 pm »
I was thinking of doing a month-long trip to Spain around Nov-Dec, I have never been. Was thinking of spending 3-4 days per city (Maybe more in Madrid and Barcelona). Currently thinking of visiting

Madrid
Barcelona
Valencia
Seville
Granada
Cadiz

Want somewhere hot, so will avoid Northern Spain (save it for a future trip). Anyone got any tips?

Mainland Spain won’t be hot in Nov/ Dec. The canaries will be warm and you’ll get some warm days in southern Spain, but Madrid will be cool/ cold.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: August 15, 2021, 09:42:07 pm »
Mainland Spain won’t be hot in Nov/ Dec. The canaries will be warm and you’ll get some warm days in southern Spain, but Madrid will be cool/ cold.

It won't be hot in absolute terms but by then I will be travelling there from Northern Canada so it will be hot in relative terms.

I checked the climate, seems like Madrid will be cold. The rest have avg. highs near 20C in Nov-Dec. Ideal weather for me.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: August 15, 2021, 09:46:17 pm »
It won't be hot in absolute terms but by then I will be travelling there from Northern Canada so it will be hot in relative terms.

I checked the climate, seems like Madrid will be cold. The rest have avg. highs near 20C in Nov-Dec. Ideal weather for me.
Okay got you. Yes you’ll find it nice and comfortable temperature wise compared to Canada at that time of year. We had sardines on the beach in Malaga in December in shorts and tee shirts. But also had 10C in Sevilla a few days later. Just making sure you knew it wasn’t going to be ‘hot’ :)

I’d say average mid to high teens degrees C.

Almeria / Cabo de Gata can have proper beach / sunbathing weather in November sometimes
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 09:49:17 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: August 15, 2021, 09:54:08 pm »
Okay got you. Yes you’ll find it nice and comfortable temperature wise compared to Canada at that time of year. We had sardines on the beach in Malaga in December in shorts and tee shirts. But also had 10C in Sevilla a few days later. Just making sure you knew it wasn’t going to be ‘hot’ :)

I’d say average mid to high teens degrees C.

Almeria / Cabo de Gata can have proper beach / sunbathing weather in November sometimes

Thanks, noted. Might make a stop there, it's in the way for some of the other spots I am thinking of visiting.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: August 15, 2021, 10:07:41 pm »
Thanks, noted. Might make a stop there, it's in the way for some of the other spots I am thinking of visiting.
I’m talking low 20s in the second half of Oct/ first week of November (which was when we were in San Jose and Las Negras, Cabo de G). Warm for Brits but the locals will be wrapped up like it’s Siberia ;D

Things will be closing or closed at the beach though, restaurants etc. So your list of cities is probably a good idea to ensure lots of life/ places to eat out. I’d add Malaga to that list too. Underrated city that most fly into, then go elsewhere and miss a cracking place.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:14:30 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: August 15, 2021, 10:46:06 pm »

The canaries will be 16c or so of a night and up to 24 to 27 in the day, so you'll love that. Have been to Lanzarote in November and had one wet day. Mainland Spain will be high teens at best, mate of mine closes his villa on majorcs in October.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: August 16, 2021, 09:14:41 am »
Enjoy. I really like Croatia. Been a few times and can’t wait to go back.

We did exactly those flights a few years ago. Into Dubrovnik and island hopped to Split via Mljet (stayed in Pomena, great swimming in the nearby lakes), Korçula (stayed near Lumbarda, nice beaches, great wine called ‘Grk’ and Korçula Town is lovely) then onto Hvar (got the bus over to Jelsa, beautiful & much quieter than Hvar Town, more our pace). Finally onto Brač and stayed in Bol. Again lovely and that mad beach Zlatni Rat nearby. Had a couple of days left when we got to Split but we’d seen the town before, so we hired a car and went to Bosnia. Stayed in Mostar. A very atmospheric and moving place, will never forget standing on the rebuilt bridge at sunset as the mosques started up the call to prayer. Hairs on the neck stuff. Hot though if you go in August. Jeez, boiling hot. Edit: just checked and it’s 29 degrees at 9pm. Yep, sounds about right!

Cheers for this. Done minimal research on where to go (found a couple of vineyards and quite fancy the Plitvice National Park) so will have a look at these!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #344 on: August 16, 2021, 09:42:51 pm »
Chose to stay in the UK for our holiday this year. Western Scotland.

Never a-fucking-gain.

Shite weather. Seen the sun for about 3 hours in total, temp not topped 18c. Occasional patchy rain.

Beautiful scenery, but utterly ruined by weather that is absolute wank.

Some of the most gorgeous beaches I've seen, but what's the point?

I think it would actually benefit from a big slice of global warming, give it a climate like western France.

Would have to improve the roads, though. Bit stressful these single-track roads.

No way am I having our main holiday in the UK next year. I want to feel so hot I need to submerge myself in water - and have either a pool or the sea close by to dip in. In this country the climate is so toss that you really need to drop on or your holiday is ruined.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: August 16, 2021, 10:32:48 pm »
Loads of people at work have been going on holidays recently, all in the UK, not one of them has come back happy. Apart from the shit weather, the main gripe seems to be that everything is overpriced, staff are miserable/rude and hygiene levels in pools aren't the best.

Saw a post on Twitter yesterday that 4 days at a CentreParcs in September is about £1,600 (I'm guessing for a small family?). I did 10 days in Singapore/Malaysia for only slightly more and stayed at a 5-star hotel, flights included. The UK holiday market really had a chance to impress people and convince them to return next year but I doubt many people will.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: August 16, 2021, 10:34:28 pm »
Loads of people at work have been going on holidays recently, all in the UK, not one of them has come back happy. Apart from the shit weather, the main gripe seems to be that everything is overpriced, staff are miserable/rude and hygiene levels in pools aren't the best.

Saw a post on Twitter yesterday that 4 days at a CentreParcs in September is about £1,600 (I'm guessing for a small family?). I did 10 days in Singapore/Malaysia for only slightly more and stayed at a 5-star hotel, flights included. The UK holiday market really had a chance to impress people and convince them to return next year but I doubt many people will.

Yep. Some people at work who are fairly young tried the holiday in the UK thing and have said it’s shit. I haven’t bothered at all.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: August 16, 2021, 10:42:30 pm »
Good stuff the quicker people can start flying out of the UK the quicker I can get back to enjoying a bit of peace and quiet again.

It's getting a bit crowded on our little island since things opened up 🙄

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #348 on: August 16, 2021, 11:29:06 pm »

This is why we'd always choose to go abroad very time. The UK feels cheap and nasty, yet ludicrously expensive and overpriced at the same time. We really dislike fawning service. Just be warm, helpful and polite and it's all good, but service in this country is often very poor with rudeness and disinterest common.

When you add up the often dreadful weather with the absurd costs for poor service etc it's no wonder so many choose to go abroad. We'll do a couple of nights in Wales, the Lakes or similar until things get back to more or less normal again, but for proper holidays we'll wait until we can go abroad again.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: August 17, 2021, 06:10:59 am »

UK Holidays in August are always going to be a bit shit, be super busy and the weather is wetter.

I've done about 3 weeks worth of UK holidays so far and really enjoyed all of them. Also, for 2 people I don't think our spends have topped £2000 so you can do it cheaply. We do camp a lot but we have rented apartments as well. I think end of May and June are the best UK months to go.

Saying that seeing how the winter goes I'm defo going Spain in spring if the world seems more normal.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #350 on: August 17, 2021, 06:35:48 am »

Madrid
Barcelona
Valencia
Seville
Granada
Cadiz

I live in Spain now so might be over-acclimatised, but I wouldn´t say anywhere is "hot" at that time of year (Couldn´t comment on the Canary Islands mind you).

However in all of those places (except Madrid) you might still luck out with the occasional low-20s day, and are likely to be consistently high-teens. On the South Coast around Cadiz you also get a bit of a cold Atlantic air blowing in that time of the year, which you will feel if you´re sitting in the plazas in the shade, but is fine in the sun. Also Barcelona can get some terrential downpours around October/November - but will be clear blue skies later that same day

Basically just don´t expect it to be consistently comfortable in shorts and t-shirt and you should be fine. You´ll definitely get some sun for sure, and a few comfortable beach days. And actually if you are into exploring the cities (which I assume you are looking at that list), it is a very comfortable climate to do it in that time of year.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 06:38:24 am by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #351 on: August 17, 2021, 07:44:44 am »
Hopefully (covid test at the port willing) getting on our second ‘staycation’ cruise of the summer today

Definitely some of the better value options (compared to the likes of Center Parcs) for uk holidays this year, and being able to sail from Liverpool was something i had always wanted to do

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #352 on: August 17, 2021, 08:07:01 am »

It's not surprising though, is it? The country is in a bit of a state in general at the moment, and loads of staff in the hospitality industry have spent over a year worried sick about their futures. There's only so much false bonhomie that you can generate to cover that.

And if you've been on holiday in the last 3 weeks then you're paying over the odds because of school holidays, and getting the short end of the British summer weather stick.

Since last summer we've done 4 long weekends to the country, coast and a city break and have enjoyed them, but then I admit my perspective is skewed as my partner is foreign and only been in the UK about 3 years so it's all new areas and experiences to her.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: August 17, 2021, 08:47:07 am »
We've just done a weekend in the lakes and while the break was good and we enjoyed it, if we hadn't have had a hot tub, it would have been a bit shit, weather was dull all weekend, with rain. Saturday we went to Grasmere and went for a walk up this huge hill, climbing up rocks and stuff, the kids loved it, but if it was raining it would have been shite. Had a couple of meals out and the staff in both places were lovely and friendly, which was nice to see, made the time better. Over £80 each time for the food, but it was lovely. You'd rack the costs up quite quick if you did a week and the whole point of being on holiday is NOT cooking.

Can't wait to go abroad again.

UK Holidays in August are always going to be a bit shit, be super busy and the weather is wetter.

I've done about 3 weeks worth of UK holidays so far and really enjoyed all of them. Also, for 2 people I don't think our spends have topped £2000 so you can do it cheaply. We do camp a lot but we have rented apartments as well. I think end of May and June are the best UK months to go.

Saying that seeing how the winter goes I'm defo going Spain in spring if the world seems more normal.

We struck lucky with the lodge we just stayed in, we paid £600 for the weekend as we booked 12 months ago, its a grand for next year and no way would we pay that. The one we had 12 months ago was £650 and didn't have a hot tub, that is £1335 next year and others that are usually £1k are £2.5k now. Throw in £80 for a meal for 4 and the costs just shoot up.

Last holiday abroad was Tenerife in Feb 2020, just over £2k all inclusive for the 4 of us. We are due to go to Cyprus in Oct, but are looking to swap to Lanzarote as it looks like it'll get cancelled, £2800 AI, and we're back to Tenerife in Feb, £2300 at the same place.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 08:49:29 am by rob1966 »

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: August 17, 2021, 09:37:45 am »
Yeah, there are definitely better value places to go in the world, but there are still deals to be found I think. Although we gambled with a lot of ours and booked during lockdown with places with good cancellation policies. Be interesting if the prices stay high for next year if people are more comfortable going abroad, and the market opens up.

Also always think of the UK as being more in the price range of the nordics and switzerland etc. than southern europe,  even before the surge in demand

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #355 on: August 17, 2021, 09:53:28 am »
My grandparents live in Harlech on the coast in Gwynedd, with a lovely view of the Castle and the beach. They're going to Scotland to golf so my partner and I are going to go in mid September, have a few nights there, do Snowdon and the local beaches etc etc. Should be a little break from the norm if nothing else.

If the weather is looking poor, we'll just bin it off though, which I suppose is the luxury of it being free accommodation. Apparently it's been rammed to a ridiculous extent there recently.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: August 17, 2021, 09:57:37 am »
Abroad for me at the end of September. Portugal. Not my usual type of holiday but at 400 odd quid (pp) all inclusive 5* hotel I couldn't say no. Couple of trips planned like a day at the waterpark, half a day shark fishing and some other boat trip. But mainly just want a week of doing nothing by the pool/beach in decent weather.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: August 17, 2021, 10:11:25 am »
Having lived in Spain and recently returning to Liverpool I actually am really looking forward to holidaying in the UK. Used to love the lake district, specifically Grasmere and cannot wait to get back. Nothing better than shitty weather and a cosy pub Imo.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: August 17, 2021, 12:37:15 pm »

I just got back from the Lakes, only stayed a night for my fiancées 30th in Windemere. Paid 277 quid which included our own private hot tub and spa bath as well as a cooked breakfast brought to our room.

I do think it was a bit overpriced. To me I'd happily pay 200 quid (100 each if you share the cost) for a decent room, the spa facilities and your breakfast. That seems reasonable these days considering going out for a meal is easily 80 quid most places.

I'd have preferred sitting down to breakfast with service rather than breakfast brought to the room and awkwardly trying to balance it on your knees in bed but can understand in the current climate why they are still not offering that service.

The weather wasn't too bad to be fair - we went on a boat trip in Lake Windemere which was nice.

The difference is all inclusive somewhere like Spain or the Canaries we usually pay 800-900 for a week, you get the weather, unlimited food and drink and the sea/pool. If we stayed a week where I went in the lakes that's £1950 roughly. When you think about it in those terms it is a bit mental.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
« Reply #359 on: August 17, 2021, 01:05:43 pm »
Have done 3 holidays in the uk this year.

Week in Clovelly in Devon which I really enjoyed,touched lucky with the weather which helps.

Another week on Dartmoor again in a cottage which was really relaxed,again touched lucky with the weather.

Just returned from 5 days in Windermere,weather was mixed but you dont go to the Lakes for the weather.

What was apparent was that all bars ,restaurants and holiday accommodation are struggling to recruit staff.

Also it is more expensive to eat,drink and rent than abroad.

Whilst enjoying all our breaks in the UK I still prefer a holiday abroad.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.