Author Topic: Societal Impact of COVID-19  (Read 16005 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Societal Impact of COVID-19
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2021, 05:05:00 pm »
Have you had a huge upsurge in safeguarding the last few weeks?
A small number in the first couple of weeks...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2021, 05:31:47 pm »

In many aspects, children are the forgotten victims in the pandemic.

A couple of the replies in this thread are laughable.

Without a doubt. But they don't have votes nor influence so in the government's eyes - they don't matter.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #122 on: April 1, 2021, 12:19:47 am »
I guess the question is: What will change post Covid:

There was a Guardian article lately that said they think there will be some kind of "Swinging Twenties" after all this is over.
Where society will be very hungry for fun and high times.

I know a lot of people who are biting at the leash - looking to book holidays, concerts and other events
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: April 3, 2021, 11:40:08 am »

There was a Guardian article lately that said they think there will be some kind of "Swinging Twenties" after all this is over.

I know a lot of people who are biting at the leash - looking to book holidays, concerts and other events

Not if a load of people/businesses are broke once the furlough scheme comes to end especially coupled with austerity either through higher taxes or reduced spending to pay back the costs of the crisis.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: April 3, 2021, 02:15:08 pm »
Not if a load of people/businesses are broke once the furlough scheme comes to end especially coupled with austerity either through higher taxes or reduced spending to pay back the costs of the crisis.

I think we'll start to see a widening between the 'working class' and a sort of office-working middle-class that probably has been somewhat removed from most of the extremes of the pandemic to be honest. I think airlines will cash in majorly, regardless of the strains it's going to make on certain families and industries.
YNWA.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: April 3, 2021, 02:47:17 pm »
I think we'll start to see a widening between the 'working class' and a sort of office-working middle-class that probably has been somewhat removed from most of the extremes of the pandemic to be honest. I think airlines will cash in majorly, regardless of the strains it's going to make on certain families and industries.

Yes definitely a further widening there as well as widening of the gap between the young and the old given the former have been disproportionately economically affected by the crisis i.e. work in hospitality, firms cutting back on new joiners due to economic uncertainty etc. Air fares will definitely rise as the airlines look to plug holes in their balance sheets.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #126 on: April 5, 2021, 10:44:03 am »

Considering the global economies were on the brink of collapsing before Covid, I can only see the crash being worse when it comes. Add that to the fact that so many businesses will be on their knees, many people will be aprehensive of dining in and many more won't even be able to afford it.

So if there is a return to the roaring 20's, it will be short lived at best. The worst is quite literally yet to come.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: April 5, 2021, 04:58:44 pm »
Considering the global economies were on the brink of collapsing before Covid, I can only see the crash being worse when it comes. Add that to the fact that so many businesses will be on their knees, many people will be aprehensive of dining in and many more won't even be able to afford it.

So if there is a return to the roaring 20's, it will be short lived at best. The worst is quite literally yet to come.

I forsee another lost decade in the UK similar to that following 2008.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #128 on: April 5, 2021, 05:05:31 pm »

It might be like the 80's, where a lot of people do well out of it and get richer and live the high life, whereas a lot of the younger generation and the working classes are another lost generation.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #129 on: April 5, 2021, 05:08:30 pm »

And don't forget how that decade ended in 1929.

Ultimately the system as we know it in the west; free-market Capitalism, neoliberalism or whatever you want to call it - died in the 2007/08 crash. It's been artificially propped up since.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #130 on: April 6, 2021, 09:47:44 am »
And don't forget how that decade ended in 1929.

Ultimately the system as we know it in the west; free-market Capitalism, neoliberalism or whatever you want to call it - died in the 2007/08 crash. It's been artificially propped up since.
That's precisely how i see it.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2021, 08:32:41 am »
More billionaires created (24) in the UK during Covid-19 then in the previous 30 years according to The Sunday Times. The net wealth of UK billionaires increased 22% while everyone was being furloughed.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2021, 08:58:50 am »
More billionaires created (24) in the UK during Covid-19 then in the previous 30 years according to The Sunday Times. The net wealth of UK billionaires increased 22% while everyone was being furloughed.

The super wealthy generally always profit from disaster. 

Inequity needs to be spoken about in the same breath as climate change/biodiversity loss, in regards to the biggest global threat facing us today!

Environemtal and social justice are two sides of the same coin, you cannot fix one, without solving the other.

We need to adopt a new economic model.  When the pandemic hit, I predicted in the aftermath, we would see super-charged capitalism on steroids.  Nothing has changed my mind since.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 09:02:07 am by Red-Soldier »