Author Topic: Societal Impact of COVID-19  (Read 15891 times)

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
Societal Impact of COVID-19
« on: April 16, 2020, 04:01:49 pm »
I guess we can all agree that the world will be a very different place following the devastating effects of Covid-19, changes will be forced upon us, for better or worse. One of the things I often think about is the societal impact of Covid-19 and the changes we are most likely to see in the short, medium and longer term.

As a starter, here are some of mine...

Economy will take a huge hit, small businesses, charities, high street retail to close

Mass unemployment and years of austerity to follow

Rise in births, deaths (including suicides and mental health) and dissolution of marriages

Changes in working environment

Rise in vaccination take up

Less reliance on China for supply of goods

More funding for NHS and infrastructure

Change in peoples behaviour, more concern regarding health and hygiene

Change in political landscape

Reliance on the EU, delay in Brexit

As its a football forum, transfer fees, television rights, wages to drop

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:17:29 pm by Machae »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Societal Impact of Covid-19
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 04:03:25 pm »
It will change society negatively, further isolate China (who will subsequently increase their partnership with Russia) and we will end up in a massive world war where we will all be killed.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 04:10:55 pm »
Oooh, that sounds like fun, Treeless.

Interesting question. Here's another: the economy is going to massively contract. Isn't that what the planet needed? What have we lost by not being able to consume all that crap over the last few weeks? What have we lost with the far lower production of non-essential goods? Everyone driving everywhere like mad bastards. Do any of us miss that? I certainly don't.

How are we going to create a fair society with much lower output of non-essentials, far more locally produced services and goods, and generally lower consumption without loads of people being horribly impoverished? That's one of the questions that the impact of Covid 19 might point us towards.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 04:15:35 pm »
Oooh, that sounds like fun, Treeless.

Interesting question. Here's another: the economy is going to massively contract. Isn't that what the planet needed? What have we lost by not being able to consume all that crap over the last few weeks? What have we lost with the far lower production of non-essential goods? Everyone driving everywhere like mad bastards. Do any of us miss that? I certainly don't.

How are we going to create a fair society with much lower output of non-essentials, far more locally produced services and goods, and generally lower consumption without loads of people being horribly impoverished? That's one of the questions that the impact of Covid 19 might point us towards.

That will all be forgotten. People will want to travel again and we will be enticed by cheap travel abroad meaning more flights and pollution being ramped up again.

More and more businesses will want trade to flow freely again and we will be showered with even more low quality shite than we will ever had.

There is no such thing as a fair society and certainly not one in this country.

On the plus side though we may not have to endure much of it as a russian or chinese nuke will probably bring us a quick release of this misery.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 09:15:00 pm »
Shame the societal thread got closed.  There are many interesting questions to come out of this, and that is one of them.

Now open  :)

Coronavirus: Social restrictions 'to remain for rest of year'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52389285
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:17:29 pm by Machae »

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 06:43:19 am »

Paris To Create 650 Kilometers Of Post-Lockdown Cycleways

“Whenever feasible, consider riding bicycles or walking,” recommended the World Health Organisation (WHO) on April 21 in new technical guidance on moving around during the COVID-19 outbreak. Cycling and walking are useful for both social distancing and meeting the minimum requirement for daily physical activity, states the WHO guidance. Cities around the world have been giving over road space to cyclists and pedestrians during the pandemic, providing people with the sort of generous space generally allotted to motorists.

Paris is the latest global city to roll out emergency bike lanes for the use of key workers and others during the lockdown. 650 kilometers of cycleways—including a number of pop-up “corona cycleways”—will be readied for May 11 when lockdown is eased in France.

Before the Coronavirus crisis, Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo had promised that every street in the city would become cycle-friendly by 2024, but fears of gridlock caused by increased car traffic once the lockdown is eased are allowing officials to accelerate Hidalgo’s existing “Plan Vélo” transport changes.

On January 29, Hidalgo revealed that the space required to make Paris cyclist-friendly would mostly come at the expense of motoring. Under her plans, Paris was to remove 72% of its on-street car parking spaces.

During France’s 46-day transit strike last year, many strap-hangers switched to cycling, doubling the number of cyclists on the roads of Paris. And some months after the strike the numbers of those who carried on cycling remained high, with a 131% year-on-year rise in the number of cyclists.

On April 21, the Île-de-France region pledged financial support for the preexisting RER Vélo project, a network of nine protected cycleways linking the center of Paris with key suburbs, a concept of the Ile-de-France Bike Collective advocacy network. €300 million will be provided to part-pay for a mix of new infrastructure and temporary “corona cycleways,” or TempoRER vélo.

The cycleways mirror the routes of the RER metro rail lines into Paris. Existing RER Vélo cycleways include an “express” version on Rue de Rivoli, REVe, for use of e-bikes.

The pop-up cycleways will be marked out with traffic wands.

“The current health crisis forces us to rethink our mobility system,” Valérie Pécresse, president of the Île-de-France, told a French newspaper.

“All levers must be pulled so that the easing of lockdown restrictions takes place in the best conditions.”

She added that the pop-up cycleways could help prevent the “complete paralysis of [our] road network, should there be a massive shift towards the private car.”

Elsewhere in France, 116 towns and cities—including Lille, Dijon, Rouen, Le Mans, and St Etienne—plan to build temporary cycleways for the duration of the current lockdown and the next few months.

Meanwhile, the French government is bringing forward the publication of new national cycleway guidelines. The best-practice guide will be published ahead of schedule on May 4.

IN ITALY, the city of Milan has told residents that 35 kilometers of city streets will be made more accessible to pedestrians and cyclists as part of post-lockdown planning. The Strade Aperte (Open Streets) plan will reallocate street space from motorists to pedestrians and cyclists.

“‘We cannot think of [lifting lockdown and then seeing] a million more cars on the road,” Milan transport councillor Marco Granelli told Radio Lombardy on April 21.

“To avoid this, we will have to strengthen two-wheeled transport. This is why we're putting in place an extraordinary plan to create new cycle paths,” he added.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/04/22/paris-to-create-650-kilometers-of-pop-up-corona-cycleways-for-post-lockdown-travel/#15e4dc7d54d4

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Re: Societal Impact of COVID-19
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 04:37:15 pm »
If anything good is to come out of this nightmare it's this [emoji1483]

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 08:24:53 pm »
Well, the lockdown has meant that I managed to persuade my bored parents to watch Breaking Bad. I think they started watching about 10 days ago - they are now at episode 32! ;D Totally hooked. It is normally an impossible task to get my dad watch a whole movie (unless it stars John Wayne). So, expanded horizons for at least two people. :)

Now, I'll have to come up with some other Netflix series for them. I am open to suggestions. ;)
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 09:17:06 pm »
Some Breaking Bad series are a bit dull, certainly picks up the latter part of the series.

I'd thoroughly recommend The Blacklist.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 09:27:49 pm »
Some Breaking Bad series are a bit dull, certainly picks up the latter part of the series.
I do not recall ever thinking it was dull. It was some of the best TV I've ever watched.
I'd thoroughly recommend The Blacklist.
Good suggestion. I'll try that on them (at this rate) in a week or so! :) I'm only up to season 5 of the Blacklist (that's as far as it goes in France). Oh. Just checked - The Blacklist is not available on Netflix UK - only available on Sky One. Thanks anyway.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 05:23:51 am »
Less reliance on China for supply of goods
The reason why foreign countries create the West's goods is because Western workers became unionized and demanded higher pay and benefits. That's a worthy goal -- who doesn't want that? But unless our workers lower their demands, corporations are going to keep seeking much cheaper labor abroad.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 09:10:48 am »
The reason why foreign countries create the West's goods is because Western workers became unionized and demanded higher pay and benefits. That's a worthy goal -- who doesn't want that? But unless our workers lower their demands, corporations are going to keep seeking much cheaper labor abroad.

Thats an easy excuse for many companies. True that some companies operate at lower margin points but there are a fair few companies that have shipped their production to China to inflate already healthy profit margins. Its a bit of a disgrace for example that Burberry makes much of its products in China now. They could easily slap another £100 on a hoodie, pay its staff here more and its sales wouldnt be hurt.

In an ideal world with us leaving the EU I would slap a tariff on anything not made on these shores, or at least where production wasnt completed here.

Offline The Last Known Survivor

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 09:49:03 am »
Well, the lockdown has meant that I managed to persuade my bored parents to watch Breaking Bad. I think they started watching about 10 days ago - they are now at episode 32! ;D Totally hooked. It is normally an impossible task to get my dad watch a whole movie (unless it stars John Wayne). So, expanded horizons for at least two people. :)

Now, I'll have to come up with some other Netflix series for them. I am open to suggestions. ;)

Ozark on Netflix is well worth a watch.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 09:52:05 am »
It will change society negatively, further isolate China (who will subsequently increase their partnership with Russia) and we will end up in a massive world war where we will all be killed.

Yeah.....but what about the negative effects?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 10:02:32 am »
Ozark on Netflix is well worth a watch.
Ah, yes. I have that in my very long Netflix list. I'll give it a go for myself and see. Thanks.

Sorry. I seem to be derailing this thread a bit. :-[

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 01:08:26 am »

Haha. Fuck workers rights so we can make cheap TVs? Let’s all accept pay cuts so Apple can still make billions if they moved their factory to the west? The problem isn’t workers wanting decent conditions and pay. The problem is the profit chasing shareholder model of capitalism. 

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 01:26:58 am »

What a great sentiment to think about over breakfast. Tag well deserved.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 01:58:23 am »
Was always going to happen unfortunately.

UK lockdown: Calls to domestic abuse helpline jump by half

Calls to a national domestic abuse helpline rose by 49% and killings doubled weeks after lockdown, a report by MPs has revealed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52433520

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 02:15:36 am »

Coronavirus: 16 things that could become obsolete in a post-COVID-19 world

"The Obsolete Man," a classic episode of "The Twilight Zone," deals with the state declaring certain human beings "obsolete" and sentencing them to death.

Obsolescence will gain traction, thanks in part to coronavirus concerns. Actions, traditions and items - whether temporarily, partially or completely - are likely to fade over time as a result of the new normal, social-distancing, germ-conscious world the virus is helping to shape.

So we offer 16 examples of what we might expect to see fade away to one degree or another in various walks of life:

Buffets and salad bars

A few years ago, we took a cruise, embarking after a flu bug previously had wound its way around the ship. Ship staffers constantly disinfected every surface. The two key changes: Every restroom on board had signs instructing passengers to use a paper towel to touch the door handle, and the buffet was converted into a serving line for the first 48 hours - the incubation period. It's hard to envision self-serve buffets or salad bars making it though this pandemic. The sneeze bars don't seem like they will do enough. Self-serve brunch buffets? Gone.

Handshakes

National Handshake Day is the last Thursday in June, but it's not looking like much of a celebration. The handshake is as good as gone. CBS Sunday Morning's Mo Rocca beat me to the punch on this one. Can you remember your last handshake? What will replace the traditional business greeting is anyone's guess. The "Star Trek" finger split isn't going to work and is not original. I've opted for a peace sign the old-school way - victory formation, fingers up - not sideways like suburban kids trying to look fierce. Sportsmanship on fields and courts will take a hit. No pregame basketball starters shaking hands and hugging, no postgame hockey lines? Greetings will change, somehow. Hopefully, new symbols of sportsmanship will be created. Losing the handshake changes the face of business, society and sports. Speaking of …

High five / slapped hands

… The high five had a good run. Its origin dates to 1977, an impromptu invention from Los Angeles Dodger teammates Glenn Burke and Dusty Baker after a home run. Though the insipid congratulatory slaps after missed free throws will not be missed. But what will happen to the choreographed routines after sports come back? They might subsist as multiple charades-like motions - with no touching.

Food-store samples

Call them loss leaders, bonus enticements or face-to-face marketing of a product, but don't look for free samples in grocery stores. Stores are looking closely at developing curbside-pickup-delivery initiatives, so the toothpick-spearing days for a nibble of diced cheese, cube of meat or dessert cup with tiny plastic spoon are in the past to stay.

TP-ing houses

TP-ing, rolling - whatever you want to call the age-old hijinks or celebration - is a thing of the past. Drive by one and you'd smile, if it weren't your house. Now, if you were to see the white strands streaming from tall branches, you'd think of empty store shelves and purchase-limit signs. Don't worry, if you long to see this, just tune in to any number of 1980s movies.

Sharing drinks in a bar

"Wow, this wine is amazing - you have to try it!" I'll stick to what's in my glass, thanks.

Lines

Six-foot markers will be the norm, along with maximum-capacity signs. And you can bet when there looks to be a violation everyone with a cell-phone will turn into instant filmmakers. More concert-ticket lines will be virtual. Staggered entry times at ticketed events, spaced-out booths with multiple lines at festivals, designated exits and similar measures could adhere to social distancing. But one funneled, roped-off line that packs in people to snake them into an exhibit, theater or amusement-park ride doesn't seem enticing. Can you imagine ticket snafus bottlenecking fans at FirstEnergy Stadium? Slow-moving cattle-like lines are rarely fun, and they might be on the way to extinction.

Knocking bottoms of beer bottles

This pointless tradition of walking up to someone who is holding a bottle of beer and clinking the lip with the bottom of another bottle should have been outlawed years ago for sheer lack of imagination. (If you never tried it, the simple act will volcano up your suds. So funny.) It's gone. One, craft beer costs money. Two, more cans are on the market than ever before. What does this have to do with coronavirus? Not much, except no one is going to want to waste good beer when we go back in to bars.

Manned tollbooths

Lanes with automated coin bins and E-Z Pass-only have been in use for years. With manned stations, one worker is exposed to scores of drivers who might not be wearing masks in their vehicles. And if the worker is contagious, he or she might as well be handing a petri dish to each driver.

Mosh pits / floor seats

Yes, I know the coronavirus hordes who descended onto Florida beaches might make up some of the same folks who enjoy crowd-surfing at certain concerts. But with all the stories that have come out about how contagious the virus is, and the fact it has hit all age groups, eyes might be open now. The appeal of bodies crushing - standing or surfing - for 90 minutes might lose some of its appeal, especially if social-distancing remains in place in arena or sweat-box clubs.

Rugby, wrestling, boxing

A scrum with athletes hunched, arms and shoulders locked around each other. Boxers in a clinch, amateur headgear butting into an opponent's chest. Wrestlers gripping and grabbing. What could possibly go wrong? Face it: We're living in a vaccine-yet-to-be-developed world with a lot to learn about whether subsequent cases of the virus can emerge in positive patients or if seasonal swings might result. Seems like these sports might be shelved for a while.

Holy water

The stoups were dry in churches in the weeks leading to the shelter-in-place order. Will a symbolic replacement be found for baptism, a sacred rite?

Airplanes

Free - or price-inclusive - seats on airlines are rare to begin with. Remember how we all were aghast when we learned fees were being tacked on for checked luggage, extra legroom and preferred seats? If you thought a handful of middle seats were the only thing without such fees, envision this: A not-so-optional cleaning fee couched as "safety premium," where an extra squirt of bleach spray will be applied to your tray table. If you're stuck with a middle seat, you might be forced to buy this. Apologies for giving the airlines the idea.

Physical offices

The quick work-at-home shift, the proliferation of video chat and Zoom meetings, and the comfort of sweat pants might make companies question why they are paying rent and enduring commutes. Monthly or quarterly outings could suffice for real face time. Other uses - creative startups, artists' studios, emerging businesses, storage spaces, short-term initiatives - might be found.

Key-chain store club tabs

No need to fumble through the coiled discount club-member cards on your key chain when you can upload them via an app and flash them at a scanner. Toss them, and the germs they bring.

Kissing

Aunt Margie - who you haven't seen in years - coming up to you and planting one on your cheek at your cousin's wedding might be a thing of the past. Kissing-endurance contests will go the way of flagpole sitting, previously cast into the land of obsoletion, and what about the coming-of-age spin the bottle? Sportswriter Rick Reilly muses about New Year's Eve moments and kiss cams at games, if stadiums and arenas ever open. Kiss them goodbye. (But if and when minor-league baseball returns, the sumo-wrestling gag seems safe and compliant with social distancing.)

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/04/coronavirus-16-things-that-could-become-obsolete-in-a-post-covid-19-world.html

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 02:16:39 am »
Was always going to happen unfortunately.

UK lockdown: Calls to domestic abuse helpline jump by half

Calls to a national domestic abuse helpline rose by 49% and killings doubled weeks after lockdown, a report by MPs has revealed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52433520

Unfortunately the cake you get when you lock people up in a house together and throw in off-licence alcohol.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 02:26:51 am »
Ive got a idea, how about all the countries of Europe forming some sort of Union, they all agree to put tariffs on countries like China etc to protect the living standards of the countries belonging to this Union.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2020, 03:09:46 am »
Ive got a idea, how about all the countries of Europe forming some sort of Union, they all agree to put tariffs on countries like China etc to protect the living standards of the countries belonging to this Union.

That’s a dangerous road to go down in. That’s what happened during the beginning of the Great Depression. It was not a pretty picture, to put it simply. All you’re doing is to put the world into a downward spiral by doing that.

Globalisation has brought many benefits, and yes it’s myriad of problems too. But you can’t argue that living standards the world over has improved. The biggest issue I see is that it also enriches certain groups more than others. This isn’t an issue that you can solve just by putting up walls. If you do that, the disadvantaged will just become more disenfranchised.

Just to add, I think some form of a global taxation scheme will solve a lot of issues. How it can be implemented, I don’t know.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:11:43 am by Bend It Like Aurelio »

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2020, 03:15:55 am »
That’s a dangerous road to go down in. That’s what happened during the beginning of the Great Depression. It was not a pretty picture, to put it simply. All you’re doing is to put the world into a downward spiral by doing that.

Globalisation has brought many benefits, and yes it’s myriad of problems too. But you can’t argue that living standards the world over has improved. The biggest issue I see is that it also enriches certain groups more than others. This isn’t an issue that you can solve just by putting up walls. If you do that, the disadvantaged will just become more disenfranchised.

Just to add, I think some form of a global taxation scheme will solve a lot of issues. How it can be implemented, I don’t know.
How do the workers of Europe compete with the workers living in China etc who are paid a pittance and live in poverty. ?
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2020, 03:27:12 am »
How do the workers of Europe compete with the workers living in China etc who are paid a pittance and live in poverty. ?

That’s the type of thing Trump would say.

It really isn’t that simple is it? Let’s just put it this way. What do you think the state of manufacturing these days look like? The reality is, if there are new factories to be sprung up in places like Europe, they will all be a new generation of automated factories, because they will be cheaper than putting humans on an assembly line in a first world country.

Inflation even happens in places like China or Vietnam as more and more people step into the middle class. Even they will export labour intensive industries to other countries in the future. And as the cycle continues, new types of industries will spring up, creating new job opportunities in developed countries.

This is how it works these days. You can’t go backwards and create a world that used to exist because that’s what you can only imagine. This is a very simple explanation of what I think the future looks like. But read about it, it’s quite fascinating.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2020, 03:33:55 am »

It really isn’t that simple is it? Let’s just put it this way. What do you think the state of manufacturing these days look like? The reality is, if there are new factories to be sprung up in places like Europe, they will all be a new generation of automated factories, because they will be cheaper than putting humans on an assembly line in a first world country.

Inflation even happens in places like China or Vietnam as more and more people step into the middle class. Even they will export labour intensive industries to other countries in the future. And as the cycle continues, new types of industries will spring up, creating new job opportunities in developed countries.

This is how it works these days. You can’t go backwards and create a world that used to exist because that’s what you can only imagine. This is a very simple explanation of what I think the future looks like. But read about it, it’s quite fascinating.
Yes it is that simple and please don't compare me with Trump just because you cant give me a answer to the question, the rest of your post is just meaningless to the question I asked.
               Emily Maitlis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2020, 03:37:26 am »
Yes it is that simple and please don't compare me with Trump just because you cant give me a answer to the question, the rest of your post is just meaningless to the question I asked.

I’m not saying you’re Trump, but what you said is very Trumpian. What do you want to compete with against poorer countries? By getting poorer?

Do you even understand what you’re asking?

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2020, 05:10:45 am »

A view from Nigeria.

COVID-19: Changing the ways of doing business

It is widely accepted that the only thing that is permanent in life is change; however, change is usually faced with a lot of resistance, as people would want to do things the old ways. “This is the way we do things here,” they would say. Therefore, everybody is expected to fall in line with the existing culture. With the additional two-week lockdown in Nigeria, it has become critical for organisations both large and small to re-examine the way they do business in order to remain competitive.

Currently all the Universities, Colleges, Primary Schools, and Professional (Tutorial) Centres have all been closed in major Nigerian cities of Abuja, Lagos and Ogun States. Without doubt, the closure will have serious adverse impact on the academic calendar of most Nigerian Universities, other tertiary institutions, Primary and Post Primary institutions as well as Professional Examination Tutorial Centres operating in such cities. Specifically, the June 2020 ACCA professional examination preparation will be impacted as the training centres have all been closed. The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria had to post-pone its March 2020 examination diet due to the devastating impact of COVID-19 outbreak. Whereas students of many schools abroad are still receiving their lectures online despite the COVID-19 pandemic, Nigerian students on the other hand are on an “academic pause” given that schools in Nigeria have been completely shut down with no knowledge of when they could re-open.

By the time this lockdown is over, a time when many corporate entities may have realised the potential of online services as compulsory and reliable alternative to doing business; service providers currently offering online services would have lost a sizeable chunk of their businesses to competitions that have earlier seen the future of technology and embraced its utilities.

For instance, in Nigeria, almost all the banks closed shops to their customers, resulting in most customers that are not subscribed to online services being trapped without access to cash. Another discomforting fact is that the banks notified their customers that all clearing cheques will not be honoured as most of the banks are closed. This suggests that personal and corporate customers that may have collected post-dated cheques may not be able to present them until the end of the lockdown period. This implies that retail customers and businesses that until now have conducted their financial transactions via cheques stands to lose cash flow. Aside from CEO of banks thinking of new ways to solve this issues of customers not being able to present post-dated cheques because of lockdown, they must also look beyond reliance on paper cheques for banking service transactions – a product that still dominate a significant portion of banking services in Nigeria. Generally, it is high time organisations that are currently reliant on paper-based transactions thought of transitioning into paperless services as a new competitive edge. Paperless services, which are currently in practice in many developed nations, are not only cost effective but also eco-friendly.

Furthermore, the most recent meetings of international organisations such as; OPEC, European Union heads of states, European Union Finance ministers, G7 Heads of states, as well as many mega churches around the world have resorted to virtual real time online streaming as a means of conducting their affairs in order to ensure that they maintained social distancing. Likewise, in Nigeria, Churches and Mosques have really been affected by the lockdown. The lockdown has impacted on the monetary revenues religious organisations receive. Thus, most churches are currently thinking on how to exploit technology in offering online church programmes.

This suggests that COVID-19 may have also opened business managers to new business thinking. Consequently, organisations that do training abroad, or individuals that want training outside their geographical environment may worry with how to develop a strong business case that will support their training abroad. It is expected that most organisations will go for cost-cutting after the COVID-19 outbreak and will not support avoidable costs such as accommodation and airline tickets, especially given that COVID-19 has revealed that these services could be rendered virtually. People may not likely travel out for meetings unless it is necessary. Therefore, for businesses that have needs of training oversees, the way to go is online training.

Even those in transportation business will need to re-think their business strategies based on what this clock-down has revealed. It will be worth noting that during this lockdown, those in the business of moving consumables products could still transport food items to all locations. This is another area that those in transportation business may see as a potential business option, given that even if human traffic were to be eliminated, essential items that sustain life will still be in transit.

Insurance is another area that has not developed the way it is expected in Nigeria. Many of the health care workers in Nigeria responding to the outbreak are not insured. It appears that government policies in Nigeria have not adequately supported insurance services in Nigeria as there is currently, no legal framework or obligations that make it compulsory for government or private enterprises to insure workers in Nigeria. COVID-19 outbreak will raise a new discussion on the importance of insurance cover for workers in Nigeria, as risk mitigation would be the new way to go. For supermarkets, the new idea will be artificial super mart that will be entirely controlled by technology. People do shop for groceries abroad online and this has helped to improve on the supply chain logistic services. Online grocery shopping is an opportunity that is waiting to be tapped in Nigeria. It will open more business opportunity for big time farmers who will supply directly to the supermarkets, as well as logistic companies that will help in the deliveries. There are therefore more job opportunities and expansion of IT infrastructure and logistic services in Nigeria.

For organisations in Healthcare, online consultation may be the way forward. Pharmaceutical organisation should start thinking of digital assistants and self-diagnosing medical services. Few Doctors in Nigeria have been exposed to COVID-19 because of lack of transparency from their patients. I advocate that hospitals should virtually diagnose their patients before they come to hospitals, especially now that some COVID-19 cases may be mistaken for malaria and other similar diseases. It is only in critical cases that require emergency that patients should be rushed to hospital without pre-virtual diagnosis.

https://t.guardian.ng/opinion/covid-19-changing-the-ways-of-doing-business/

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2020, 08:03:33 am »

There needs to be something done to protect ourselves from the Chinese. In Italy, the Chinese have bought some companies and even flown in their workers so that they can slap a made in Italy badge on the product.

Offline Crumble

• It's rhyming slang
  • Kopite
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2020, 08:16:48 am »

We need to lift the standard of living of the workers living in China until it approaches our own. At which point there will only be disadvantages to getting stuff done on the other side of the globe.

Conceptually simple. Not so easy to actually do. Currently we seem to have embarked on a journey to the other solution: lower the standard of living of our own workers until it approaches that of China. That works too, of course.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2020, 08:21:05 am »
Haha. Fuck workers rights so we can make cheap TVs? Let’s all accept pay cuts so Apple can still make billions if they moved their factory to the west? The problem isn’t workers wanting decent conditions and pay. The problem is the profit chasing shareholder model of capitalism. 

Definitely. Like I said previously, Burberry make most of its products in China. Is it really going to harm their sales massively if they now sell a £500 hoodie for £600 and make it here in Britain?

Its pure greed.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2020, 10:03:45 am »
Definitely. Like I said previously, Burberry make most of its products in China. Is it really going to harm their sales massively if they now sell a £500 hoodie for £600 and make it here in Britain?

Its pure greed.

You can talk about Burberry, but in reality all of your essential items you use or wear everyday are made in places like Vietnam, Thailand, China and Bangladesh. Is it even remotely realistic to make that stuff in the UK without having inflation over the hundred percentile?

The thing that is lost on a lot of people (like the MAGA idiots) is that because manufacturing have moved overseas, it allowed for industrialized countries to move their workforce over to higher tech industries. It’s brought a better standard of living, and a better environment for you to live in. Countries like China desperately want to move upmarket themselves, that’s why they’ve thrown billions into tech hubs like Szenchen, and also invested in the same into higher education and doctorate studies. So why would you lot want to go in the opposite direction? As a major industrialized country, with a highly educated workforce, surely your focus is to maintain that competitive advantage, and leave the grunt work to places where there is a demand for that type of work.

Besides, I’m not sure if you remember what made in the UK was like. As our former colonial masters, we used to get all your stuff, until we got the good Japanese stuff. To put it lightly, a lot of it was, er, not very well made. However, there are some fond memories for me though. Used to love getting biscuits in a tin.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2020, 10:25:03 am »

If more manufacturing was to return domestically in the West it would be largely automated and located in areas with less unionization (i.e. the U.S. South) while simultaneously begging for large government subsidies/tax breaks

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2020, 10:40:05 am »
We need to lift the standard of living of the workers living in China until it approaches our own. At which point there will only be disadvantages to getting stuff done on the other side of the globe.

Conceptually simple. Not so easy to actually do. Currently we seem to have embarked on a journey to the other solution: lower the standard of living of our own workers until it approaches that of China. That works too, of course.

Other side of that is can the Earth ever sustain for example everybody in countries like China and India consuming as much as the richest countries are now,there will be even more rubbish and pollution that comes with that.

My personal consumption has lowered significantly in recent times,i'm now jobless,carless,no travel,can't afford to eat much meat and such luxuries and have to live on 1/5 (no benefits) from my savings of my previous income which wasn't great anyway.

Still as long as i have a roof over my head and a working internet i'm quite happy,miss the football though.  :)

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2020, 11:07:26 am »

What you say is entirely possible. Probable, even. It's certainly the direction the technocrats and billionaires are pushing us to go in. But it's not inevitable, or necessary. We could, for instance, design economies and ways of doing things that actually serve the majority of people, rather than simply create further efficiencies and profits for the super-rich. If we want to survive as a species, that's what is actually necessary.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2020, 11:10:02 am »
Other side of that is can the Earth ever sustain for example everybody in countries like China and India consuming as much as the richest countries are now,there will be even more rubbish and pollution that comes with that.

My personal consumption has lowered significantly in recent times,i'm now jobless,carless,no travel,can't afford to eat much meat and such luxuries and have to live on 1/5 (no benefits) from my savings of my previous income which wasn't great anyway.

Still as long as i have a roof over my head and a working internet i'm quite happy,miss the football though.  :)

Answer: no.

Neither can it sustain western levels of consumption, before people jump on the "you don't want the poor to have what you have" wagon. The dream of an entire world that is at western levels of luxury and hyper-consumption is insane.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2020, 11:48:13 am »
What you say is entirely possible. Probable, even. It's certainly the direction the technocrats and billionaires are pushing us to go in. But it's not inevitable, or necessary. We could, for instance, design economies and ways of doing things that actually serve the majority of people, rather than simply create further efficiencies and profits for the super-rich. If we want to survive as a species, that's what is actually necessary.

If we look at this from a macro point of view, I think the basic issue of inequality in society boils down to the fact that the super rich don’t pay their fair share, which applies to corporate entities and to individuals of high net worth. How we can solve that, I am not sure, to be honest. But there are simply way too many mechanisms that allow certain individuals and entities to escape paying their share into the pie on a global scale.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2020, 12:29:14 pm »
We all know that's true. I know that. But the question was what's going to change? I'm saying it WON'T change.

Most companies chase maximum profit, so they will relentlessly keep looking for cheaper labor wherever it can be found -- and that is usually in a foreign country that treats its working class like dirt. There are only two things that will stop that from happening -- their home government (UK, US etc) penalizing them for using foreign labor, or extremely bad press if the source country is committing highly visible human rights abuses or is warring with a home government's ally. 

“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2020, 07:15:31 pm »
People are having less sex in lockdown, says Durex boss

The boss of Reckitt Benckiser, which owns Durex condoms, has said people are having less sex because of the coronavirus crisis.

Laxman Narasimhan said condom sales fell in most markets, including the UK, during March as lockdowns limited opportunities for sexual activity.

He also said established couples were being less intimate than usual.

"Intimate occasions are going down and that is a manifestation of anxiety," he said.

The firm, which has seen strong sales of other products such as disinfectants and cough syrups, blamed the impact of "stay at home" policies on consumers.

Mr Narasimhan said Italians and Britons in particular had been less intimate, although the opposite was true in China where lockdowns are now being lifted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52490023

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 1, 2020, 01:10:48 pm »
BBC correspondents in their particular field offer their thoughts on how the World may look following on from Covid-19

How will coronavirus change the way we live?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52356136
« Last Edit: May 1, 2020, 01:12:59 pm by Machae »