Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3440940 times)

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Re: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE
« Reply #47760 on: January 16, 2021, 12:03:14 pm »
Occurred in very frail patients with very serious disease and that there's no certain connection between the deaths and the vaccine as in the report, it's good that they're investigating it so I don't think it's time to panic about the vaccine killing people just yet

You're right. Even I urge some caution here. The mildest side effects can kill a person in a palliative state like that, whereas for people not living in care homes those would've remained mild side effects most likely. All that aside, the vast majority of frail people in care homes yet to be that close to natural death who have taken it have made it through. Maybe they will need to implement not giving it to people who are very close to dying naturally. After all, there is a vast health range of people living in care homes.

My point has always been it's mostly important to vaccinate the groups who risk overwhelming the hospital system (55-80-something year olds living at home and the really old people in decent health). If we can safely vaccinate those in palliative care then that's great but that's not the end-all-be-all for a successful vaccination campaign.
Linudden.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47761 on: January 16, 2021, 12:06:06 pm »
You're right. Even I urge some caution here. The mildest side effects can kill a person in a palliative state like that, whereas for people not living in care homes those would've remained mild side effects most likely. All that aside, the vast majority of frail people in care homes yet to be that close to natural death who have taken it have made it through. Maybe they will need to implement not giving it to people who are very close to dying naturally. After all, there is a vast health range of people living in care homes.

My point has always been it's mostly important to vaccinate the groups who risk overwhelming the hospital system (55-80-something year olds living at home and the really old people in decent health). If we can safely vaccinate those in palliative care then that's great but that's not the end-all-be-all for a successful vaccination campaign.

And these are the sorts of people that if it turns out we can't give the vaccine to, will rely on as many people getting it as possible, to prevent spread.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #47762 on: January 16, 2021, 12:06:42 pm »
And these are the sorts of people that if it turns out we can't give the vaccine to, will rely on as many people getting it as possible, to prevent spread.

But we can still give it to the vast majority of people above 80 + care home workers and that's the whole point. There will still be almost half a million of naturally occurring deaths in the UK this year. It's sad but true.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:08:55 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47763 on: January 16, 2021, 12:08:02 pm »
But we can still give it to the vast majority of people above 80.

Yes but these people we were talking about? If they can't get the vaccine, they are relying on herd immunity to prevent spread. The more people that get it - including young healthy people - the better they are protected.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #47764 on: January 16, 2021, 12:10:51 pm »
Yes but these people we were talking about? If they can't get the vaccine, they are relying on herd immunity to prevent spread. The more people that get it - including young healthy people - the better they are protected.

People with weeks left to live with organ failure or severe dementia can't rely on anything mate. While tragic, it makes no difference. It's probably worth having a go since it could extend their lives by some weeks if they survive the jab, but you have to be realistic. It baffles me that people aren't. The 28 deaths in Norway are not representative of the average person above 80. They're outliers at the end stage.

You also have to remember that transmission in Norway has been low enough that there are some people around who would've passed away last year otherwise. I predict a lot fewer of these cases in countries with higher death rates from covid.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:15:55 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47765 on: January 16, 2021, 12:13:14 pm »
The question is valid. The assumptions by Linudden to arrive at the those conclusions are flawed though.

Snip

Thanks for the very informative reply.

Been reading more this morning and have found that, at the moment, they still don't know if the vaccine has any effect on transmission, so it is correct that, until we have an answer, we need to vaccinate everyone we can, on the assumption that it does impact transmission, but will need to change the approach if that is found not to be the case?

One thing though, seeing as the impact on the younger ones isn't anything like the older generations, would it not make more sense than rather vaccinate 40 million in the UK, seeing as how we will have everyone we can over 50 vaccinated soon, we instead shipped those shots abroad and made sure we vaccinated 40 million elderly people elsewhere first?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #47766 on: January 16, 2021, 12:17:04 pm »
I'd imagine by the time we get to vaccinating the younger people in this country we'll have a pretty good idea on whether it prevents transmission or not.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47767 on: January 16, 2021, 12:18:49 pm »
People with weeks left to live with organ failure or severe dementia can't rely on anything mate. While tragic, it makes no difference. It's probably worth having a go since it could extend their lives by some weeks if they survive the jab, but you have to be realistic. It baffles me that people aren't. The 28 deaths in Norway are not representative of the average person above 80. They're outliers at the end stage.

Having watched my father in law die from dementia I understand where you are coming from, we as a family all agree that it would have been better for him to have been killed long before he died. Anyone who has lost a relative to dementia will understand just how utterly degrading and miserable the last few months of their lives are. We watched a fit 6ft 5 tall man become an 8st living skeleton that couldn't even wipe his own arse, didn't know who we were, who he was, where he was.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #47768 on: January 16, 2021, 12:23:36 pm »
Having watched my father in law die from dementia I understand where you are coming from, we as a family all agree that it would have been better for him to have been killed long before he died. Anyone who has lost a relative to dementia will understand just how utterly degrading and miserable the last few months of their lives are. We watched a fit 6ft 5 tall man become an 8st living skeleton that couldn't even wipe his own arse, didn't know who we were, who he was, where he was.

Yes, the demise of my grandfather was similar. I'd rather have 75 good years than to live to 85 with ten years as a vegetable just to bring up the average lifespan. I really hope euthanasia is legal if I get to that point and still am there enough to sign the papers. Quality of life for our elders is essential. Finding a medicine which slows dementia down should be very high on the priority list for all governments and pharma companies. My three living grandparents will benefit from the vaccine because they're moderately healthy 82-85 year olds, so it is very individual in that age group.

It's also worth remembering that even among recorded early cases of severe pneumonia when testing was in its infancy, 85 % of people above the age of 80 survived covid.
Linudden.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47769 on: January 16, 2021, 12:25:32 pm »
I was about to make exactly the same point.

I had to come back on the train yesterday and was surprised by there being people on the train with no face masks on them, even though its compulsory on Mersey Rail supposedly.

It's mad, put your feet on a seat and get a fine though.

Offline daindan

• lyin clock......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47770 on: January 16, 2021, 12:32:06 pm »
What I’m not liking about the vaccine rollout is how it’s being delivered. I should be one of the last people to get it due to age etc . But I have been offered it twice both the Pfizer and Oxford vaccines by mates that are doctors and pharmacists. They said they can get me the vaccine as those doses would otherwise be wasted as people don’t turn up etc.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #47771 on: January 16, 2021, 12:36:09 pm »
What I’m not liking about the vaccine rollout is how it’s being delivered. I should be one of the last people to get it due to age etc . But I have been offered it twice both the Pfizer and Oxford vaccines by mates that are doctors and pharmacists. They said they can get me the vaccine as those doses would otherwise be wasted as people don’t turn up etc.

If people aren't turning up to appointments then it's better to just give it to anyone than waste it no?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #47772 on: January 16, 2021, 12:37:27 pm »
Well vaccinating the over 70s is not gong to stop covid cases.  People over 70 are far less likely to be exposed to it and yet are far more likely to be hospitalised and get really sick.

Of course, vaccinating over 70s will relive pressure on hospitals (say by April), but not ICUs as only 25% of people in ICU are over 70.

So, loads of people in ICU will still be there if we do not mass vaccinate.  We owe it to those who cannot be vaccinated to get ourselves vaccinated to stop the spread of it (if it does indeed do so, although evidence suggests it should).

And we need to remember that 5-10% of those who get covid are getting long term debilitating symptoms.  It’s not just a touch of flu.

And that’s why only c*nts wouldnt get vaccinated.  Hear endeth the gospel.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:40:40 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline daindan

• lyin clock......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47773 on: January 16, 2021, 12:41:10 pm »
If people aren't turning up to appointments then it's better to just give it to anyone than waste it no?

True but for me, I’d rather it go to someone that needs it rather than me. Don’t know how they can manage this though

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #47774 on: January 16, 2021, 12:46:55 pm »
True but for me, I’d rather it go to someone that needs it rather than me. Don’t know how they can manage this though

It's pretty hard to manage it mate but it's much better in someone's arm than in the bin. If they have to go out and ask the first person in they see in the street if they want one they should do that, but only at the end of the day when they've got some left.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47775 on: January 16, 2021, 12:48:46 pm »
Sweden and Finland had the narcolepsy issue with the GSK swine flu vaccine eleven years ago. General vaccination rates for tried vaccines that have been around for decades such as against measles etc are very high but people are very reluctant over here unless they feel like the illness is going to personally affect them. Myself included. I'm glad I was vaccinated with known quantities when I was little, but now as an adult, 29 years old and rather fit, extremely far from being in a risk group I prefer not to just take anything novel being offered to me. We're still not even past one year of trials beginning and I prefer to stay on the cautious side about that.

I think the "sure" rates would've been a lot higher here and in Finland if not for that 2009-10 episode, however.

As far as I'm concerned, once it's been given to the risk groups, it's time to forget worrying about covid and return straight back to February 2020 no questions asked. I really don't see the need to mass vaccinate the entire populace against something that is only harmful to a few.

So I lean towards not taking it for that reason. It's better they save my dose for someone who's in more need. It's for the very reason I don't take the annual flu shot. If I decide to, it will be in November because it's evidently a seasonal illness once it's reached a certain immunity threshold, so I much prefer to have strong antibodies in December than in July. Covid passports are just fascist bullshit and within an EU framework most definitely illegal so I'm not all that worried about it because it'd get struck down in court. Worst-case scenario I'll just have to travel by land or take a test before flying and I have no desire to visit anywhere outside of Europe anyway. Hell, I might choose to stay in Scandinavia for the rest of my life seeing how repressive the political cultures elsewhere have been.

Disclaimer: no insults needed  :wave

YNWA.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47776 on: January 16, 2021, 12:50:09 pm »
My sister is a treatment nurse who carries out vaccinations, her practice have been offering spare vaccines to family members of staff, it's either that or the doses are wasted.  There's very little they can do about it and these 'spare' doses are often given at the end of the day at very short notice.  Its simply a matter of put it in someone's arm or the bin.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #47777 on: January 16, 2021, 12:51:56 pm »

Vaccination in Glasgow today..

And in Salisbury cathedral...

Spring is coming
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #47778 on: January 16, 2021, 01:15:04 pm »
Good summary article on the variants of coronavirus known to be circulating around the world and educated speculation on what it may mean for future vaccination: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/new-coronavirus-variants-could-cause-more-reinfections-require-updated-vaccines

(Spoiler: Won't mean much for current vaccines or the very immediate future but some experts are arguing that we need to be thinking of a time beyond that and preparing for it now.)
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47779 on: January 16, 2021, 01:43:06 pm »
(Spoiler: Won't mean much for current vaccines or the very immediate future but some experts are arguing that we need to be thinking of a time beyond that and preparing for it now.)

So exactly the kind of foresight our government is incapable of.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47780 on: January 16, 2021, 01:45:13 pm »
So exactly the kind of foresight our government is incapable of.

You’d hope the drug companies are doing so at least though.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #47781 on: January 16, 2021, 02:31:14 pm »
I wouldn't be so down on the expertise in Britain. eg from that article "The United Kingdom today launched a new consortium, G2P-UK (for “genotype to phenotype-UK”), headed by Wendy Barclay of Imperial College London, to study the effects of emerging mutations in SARS-CoV-2. One idea discussed at the 12 January WHO meeting is to set up a biobank that would aid studies by housing virus samples, as well as plasma from vaccine recipients and recovered patients." Government's a shitshow but there's obviously some thought going into it as guided by those best placed to say what's needed. The international part of it is also going to be important to track and monitor around the world so if a specific vaccine is needed for a new strain then there's as much warning as is possible there.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #47782 on: January 16, 2021, 02:46:35 pm »

The benefits of being Indian and knowing lots of doctors and pharmacists!

Unfortunately the few that I know live too far away, but if I was in your shoes I would be running to the doctors or pharmacy, as others have said it’s better then it going in the bin, and even if you are low risk you come into contact with people who are not and if your protected your helping them if nothing else.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #47783 on: January 16, 2021, 04:08:45 pm »

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 05:19:19 pm by filopastry »

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47784 on: January 16, 2021, 04:19:53 pm »
That's a huge drop from last Saturday, my heart goes out to the families of those poor 1300 souls though.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47785 on: January 16, 2021, 04:20:32 pm »
Just hit 4 million doses administered, 3.6 million first doses, 400k second doses.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47786 on: January 16, 2021, 05:35:37 pm »
It's mad, put your feet on a seat and get a fine though.
Interrogated like a criminal and fined to be more precise.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #47787 on: January 16, 2021, 05:45:42 pm »
It's pretty hard to manage it mate but it's much better in someone's arm than in the bin. If they have to go out and ask the first person in they see in the street if they want one they should do that, but only at the end of the day when they've got some left.
I'm not sure if this issue has been explained earlier in the thread or not, and I might be completely dense here over understanding the administration of the vaccine - but, how is it that there is 'some' vaccine left over ? What is meant by this ? So, are the vials containing the vaccine not filled with a finite amount of vaccine eg. enough for 5 doses say - or is it that there is a 'little' left over in a vial after those 5 doses have been given ? In which case, is this left over bit enough vaccine to give 'another' dose to someone else and, if not,  what is done with it ?

Or, are people referring to a situation where there are some vials 'left over' once all people have been vaccinated at a particular site for that day - in which case can't they be given to people the next day......or does that mean the shelf life expires before they can ?

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47788 on: January 16, 2021, 05:54:31 pm »
I'm not sure if this issue has been explained earlier in the thread or not, and I might be completely dense here over understanding the administration of the vaccine - but, how is it that there is 'some' vaccine left over ? What is meant by this ? So, are the vials containing the vaccine not filled with a finite amount of vaccine eg. enough for 5 doses say - or is it that there is a 'little' left over in a vial after those doses have been given ? In which case, is this left over bit enough vaccine to give 'another' dose to someone else and, if not,  what is done with it ?

Or, are people referring to a situation where there are some vials 'left over' once all people have been vaccinated at a particular site for that day - in which case can't they be given to people the next day......or does that mean the shelf life expires before they can ?

For Pfizer, each vial already contains 0.45ml and when it’s thawed it’s then diluted with 1.8ml and is ready for use.

Each vial then officially contains 6 doses and each dose is 0.3mL So if they are removed from the vial carefully without any loss, there can be up to 0.45ml remaining in the vial - enough for 1 more dose. So for some, you might get an additional dose and some you won’t get any additional doses. This is where it’s coming from with the Pfizer vaccine - you can’t really plan to have some 80 year old lined up on the off chance you do have some spare doses at the end of the vial so they are likely to just vaccinate anyone nearby with it.

The Pfizer vaccine once diluted also has to be used within 6 hours so that adds to the rush in just getting into anyone’s arm.

Edit - 6 doses in each vial, not 5
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 05:56:54 pm by djahern »

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #47789 on: January 16, 2021, 06:01:08 pm »
For Pfizer, each vial already contains 0.45ml and when it’s thawed it’s then diluted with 1.8ml and is ready for use.

Each vial then officially contains 6 doses and each dose is 0.3mL So if they are removed from the vial carefully without any loss, there can be up to 0.45ml remaining in the vial - enough for 1 more dose. So for some, you might get an additional dose and some you won’t get any additional doses. This is where it’s coming from with the Pfizer vaccine - you can’t really plan to have some 80 year old lined up on the off chance you do have some spare doses at the end of the vial so they are likely to just vaccinate anyone nearby with it.

The Pfizer vaccine once diluted also has to be used within 6 hours so that adds to the rush in just getting into anyone’s arm.

Edit - 6 doses in each vial, not 5
Interesting, thanks - is this the same for the AZ/Oxford one ? When you say diluted with 1.8ml........what with, water ?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #47790 on: January 16, 2021, 06:02:01 pm »
The number of vials brought out of fridges/freezers will correspond with how many appointments there are that day as well, they then can't be placed back in after they've been taken out so if someone doesn't turn up for their appointment then there will also be doses going spare from that.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #47791 on: January 16, 2021, 06:05:08 pm »
The number of vials brought out of fridges/freezers will correspond with how many appointments there are that day as well, they then can't be placed back in after they've been taken out so if someone doesn't turn up for their appointment then there will also be doses going spare from that.
I see - that makes sense (I assumed you could put unused vials back in the fridge - at least for the AZ one)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47792 on: January 16, 2021, 06:06:26 pm »
Opening a new vaccine 'super' factory later this year:
Spoiler
Britain will be able to vaccinate the entire nation against dangerous new Covid strains within four months after a £158m super-factory opens later this year, The Telegraph can disclose.

Dr Matthew Duchars, chief executive of the Vaccines Manufacturing Innovation Centre (VMIC), revealed the Oxfordshire facility will be capable of producing 70m doses of an emergency vaccine manufactured entirely on British soil.

The news comes amid fears that a new Covid strain from Brazil may prove resistant to current vaccines. All travel corridors into the UK were scrapped this week to prevent new variants entering the country.

“We’ll be able to make 70 million doses within a four to five month period, enough for everyone in the country, when we open late this year,” Dr Duchars told The Telegraph.

“New Covid variants are absolutely part of the thinking. We probably will need to make seasonal vaccine variants because there may well be mutations in the virus, as well as vaccines for other diseases. You never know what’s coming next.”

Currently under construction at the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, the VMIC was first conceived in 2018 and originally planned to open in 2022. When the Covid pandemic struck, the UK government pumped a further £131 million into the not-for-profit company to bring the project forward by a year.

The centre is already helping to manufacture the Oxford vaccine by lending expertise and giant bioreactors to the AstraZeneca team and its partners.

This week Sir Mene Pangalos, executive vice president of biopharmaceuticals research and development at AstraZeneca, told MPs that the UK’s lack of manufacturing capacity had been a major stumbling block in the development of the Oxford vaccine, and urged ministers to “urgently address” the issue.

Much of the Pfizer and Oxford vaccine doses currently being rolled out in the UK are made in factories in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Dr Duchars said the VMIC would be equipped to produce different types of vaccines including MRNA varieties like the Pfizer jab and adenovirus-based technology like the Oxford AstraZeneca jab.

“Covid came a year early for us, unfortunately,” he said.

“But when we open we’ll have a sovereign capability to manufacture different types of vaccines and still be able to make a large number of doses.

[close]

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/16/britain-will-able-vaccinate-nation-against-new-covid-strains/

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47793 on: January 16, 2021, 06:08:26 pm »
Interesting, thanks - is this the same for the AZ/Oxford one ? When you say diluted with 1.8ml........what with, water ?

The Oxford vaccine doesn’t require dilution but there is some extra liquid in the vials and it’s possible to get an extra dose from some of them.

For Pfizer it’s diluted with a sodium chloride solution.

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47794 on: January 16, 2021, 06:08:45 pm »
My daughters friend who is 18 and works one day a week in the local chemist has had the job when there are loads of elderly and vulnerable waiting for one. Are chemist staff classed as front line now? Don't think it was a had some left over scenario.

Offline Shady Craig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47795 on: January 16, 2021, 06:10:34 pm »
The Oxford vaccine doesn’t require dilution but there is some extra liquid in the vials and it’s possible to get an extra dose from some of them.

Don't forget the microchips [emoji23]

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #47796 on: January 16, 2021, 06:12:37 pm »

Brilliant - thanks dj   :thumbup

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47797 on: January 16, 2021, 06:12:42 pm »
My daughters friend who is 18 and works one day a week in the local chemist has had the job when there are loads of elderly and vulnerable waiting for one. Are chemist staff classed as front line now? Don't think it was a had some left over scenario.

I don’t see too much of an issue with this if she’s coming into contact with potentially sick people, or people coming in to be vaccinated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47798 on: January 16, 2021, 06:15:49 pm »
Opening a new vaccine 'super' factory later this year:
Spoiler
Britain will be able to vaccinate the entire nation against dangerous new Covid strains within four months after a £158m super-factory opens later this year, The Telegraph can disclose.

Dr Matthew Duchars, chief executive of the Vaccines Manufacturing Innovation Centre (VMIC), revealed the Oxfordshire facility will be capable of producing 70m doses of an emergency vaccine manufactured entirely on British soil.

The news comes amid fears that a new Covid strain from Brazil may prove resistant to current vaccines. All travel corridors into the UK were scrapped this week to prevent new variants entering the country.

“We’ll be able to make 70 million doses within a four to five month period, enough for everyone in the country, when we open late this year,” Dr Duchars told The Telegraph.

“New Covid variants are absolutely part of the thinking. We probably will need to make seasonal vaccine variants because there may well be mutations in the virus, as well as vaccines for other diseases. You never know what’s coming next.”

Currently under construction at the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, the VMIC was first conceived in 2018 and originally planned to open in 2022. When the Covid pandemic struck, the UK government pumped a further £131 million into the not-for-profit company to bring the project forward by a year.

The centre is already helping to manufacture the Oxford vaccine by lending expertise and giant bioreactors to the AstraZeneca team and its partners.

This week Sir Mene Pangalos, executive vice president of biopharmaceuticals research and development at AstraZeneca, told MPs that the UK’s lack of manufacturing capacity had been a major stumbling block in the development of the Oxford vaccine, and urged ministers to “urgently address” the issue.

Much of the Pfizer and Oxford vaccine doses currently being rolled out in the UK are made in factories in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Dr Duchars said the VMIC would be equipped to produce different types of vaccines including MRNA varieties like the Pfizer jab and adenovirus-based technology like the Oxford AstraZeneca jab.

“Covid came a year early for us, unfortunately,” he said.

“But when we open we’ll have a sovereign capability to manufacture different types of vaccines and still be able to make a large number of doses.

[close]

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/16/britain-will-able-vaccinate-nation-against-new-covid-strains/

Fuck me some government forward planning - I need a lie down.
Thinking is overrated.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47799 on: January 16, 2021, 06:18:19 pm »
Fuck me some government forward planning - I need a lie down.

I don’t think it was a Govt. idea, although they have helped fund it.