Author Topic: Euro 2020 (2021) discussion thread  (Read 142130 times)

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Euro 2020 (2021) discussion thread
« Reply #3160 on: June 12, 2021, 10:53:37 am »
Has there ever been such a thing as summer in Aberdeen? Since both 1994 and 2018 failed miserably as the Baltic Sea turned into Mediterranean North I'm genuinely curious  ;D

It's bloody lovely right now... too hot gor me actually.

People joke but it's just the granite makes it look grey. It obviously isn't as warm as down south but it's not that different.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #3161 on: June 12, 2021, 10:56:26 am »
It's bloody lovely right now... too hot gor me actually.

People joke but it's just the granite makes it look grey. It obviously isn't as warm as down south but it's not that different.

I assume the 27°C water temps of the Marsviken inlet near here in 2018 won't be repeated in Cove Bay anytime soon though?  ;D

I guess you guys are used to it, but it sounds utterly dreadful to me to have those summers. To be fair the difference between Aberdeen and the shoreline further south is quite small yeah.
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #3162 on: June 12, 2021, 11:12:10 am »
I won't watch the Euros anyway. Couldn't care less about the Swedish national team even if I tried and my love for VARball is just gone.
Linudden.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3163 on: June 12, 2021, 11:30:49 am »
Rumoured England team today.

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Mings
Chilwell
Rice
Phillips
Mount
Foden
Sterling
Kane

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #3164 on: June 12, 2021, 11:46:08 am »

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Mings
Chilwell
Rice
Phillips
Mount
Foden
Sterling
Kane

I would swop Sterling for Grealish but besides that it's what's expected.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3165 on: June 12, 2021, 11:49:43 am »
Stones and Mings definitely need two holding players to help them out. Feels like that is a partnership that could meltdown at any point.

Sterling was always likely going to start as him and Kane have worked well together in the past and in with so little training time it's the kind of thing you rely on.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3166 on: June 12, 2021, 11:57:43 am »
A midfield of Rice, Philips and Mount? Jeez, glad I'm not English.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3167 on: June 12, 2021, 12:01:02 pm »

Modric will be licking his ratty little lips at that.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3168 on: June 12, 2021, 12:01:36 pm »
It still feels like night between 1-2 am here and I'm two degrees farther north it's just that most people in Aberdeen or here are asleep the only bit that's dark so people don't really notice. I remember ten years ago I actually took a 1 am run on the solstice and remember the light fading early in the run and emerging as I arrived home. Incredible memory.

I stayed in a hotel in Wick some years ago around this time of year. I turned off my tv at just after 11pm & was shocked to see there was still a fair bit of daylight outside & the birds were chirping away merrily.

Weird experience.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3169 on: June 12, 2021, 12:11:02 pm »

Rice and Mount are really good players to be fair.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3170 on: June 12, 2021, 12:17:02 pm »

Mcginn, McTominay and Gilmour/McGregor really isn't all that far off it, and it's not that often you can say that about a Scotland team. Mount is class though.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3171 on: June 12, 2021, 12:22:12 pm »
Mcginn, McTominay and Gilmour/McGregor really isn't all that far off it, and it's not that often you can say that about a Scotland team. Mount is class though.

McGregor impressed me when he was up against Mayweather, he put in a much better performance than I expected.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #3172 on: June 12, 2021, 12:25:29 pm »

Nothing wrong at all with that midfield. It's the defense and and manager that will let them down. But they should beat Croatia and top the group without much trouble.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3173 on: June 12, 2021, 04:25:09 pm »
I assume the 27°C water temps of the Marsviken inlet near here in 2018 won't be repeated in Cove Bay anytime soon though?  ;D

I guess you guys are used to it, but it sounds utterly dreadful to me to have those summers. To be fair the difference between Aberdeen and the shoreline further south is quite small yeah.
I've done parkrun along Aberdeen's coast in tee and shorts and it were lovely .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3174 on: June 13, 2021, 08:31:22 am »
I'm ignoring the media, the contempt held for any particular players and the knuckle-head followers of the national team. I'm on the side of Kirkby lad Ricky Lambert who will be supporting England in this tournament and who genuinely appreciates what it's like to play for his country.

When he found out he'd been included in the squad in 2013, in a recent podcast he said "going from Southampton to England, the standard was unbelievable, it blew me away".
He was enthusiastic playing with all the squad, from every team. "Everyone was welcoming, lovely to me, I didn't see any cliques, I loved the experience".

In his game he came on as a sub and scored a cracking header - "Seeing that hit the back of the net is the best feeling I've had in my life, football wise".

"It was incredible, got the shirt signed by all the lads and it's hanging up in ours".

He talked about signing for Liverpool, scoring in front of the Kop and celebrating with Stevie. But when asked what was the best feeling of his entire career, he replied "I thought scoring for Southampton against City could never be beaten, but playing for England and scoring that goal was the best.

Ricky Lambert: April 2021:-
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/straight-from-the-off/id1516897830?i=1000519190157

Come on England!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3175 on: June 13, 2021, 08:52:10 am »
I personally hope that England get absolutely twatted everywhere.

I don't understand how people can ignore and be OK with the fascist/racist/scumbag nature of England fans...

If you've ever been to Wembley in the past or seen their shithouse behaviour around the country or even abroad then they are embarrasing knuckle-dragging wankstains.

Come on ABE.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3176 on: June 13, 2021, 08:53:38 am »

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Mings
Chilwell
Rice
Phillips
Mount - DIVING!
Foden - DIVING!
Sterling - DIVING!
Kane  - DIVING!

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3177 on: June 13, 2021, 08:58:17 am »
I'm ignoring the media, the contempt held for any particular players and the knuckle-head followers of the national team. I'm on the side of Kirkby lad Ricky Lambert who will be supporting England in this tournament and who genuinely appreciates what it's like to play for his country.

When he found out he'd been included in the squad in 2013, in a recent podcast he said "going from Southampton to England, the standard was unbelievable, it blew me away".
He was enthusiastic playing with all the squad, from every team. "Everyone was welcoming, lovely to me, I didn't see any cliques, I loved the experience".

In his game he came on as a sub and scored a cracking header - "Seeing that hit the back of the net is the best feeling I've had in my life, football wise".

"It was incredible, got the shirt signed by all the lads and it's hanging up in ours".

He talked about signing for Liverpool, scoring in front of the Kop and celebrating with Stevie. But when asked what was the best feeling of his entire career, he replied "I thought scoring for Southampton against City could never be beaten, but playing for England and scoring that goal was the best.

Ricky Lambert: April 2021:-
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/straight-from-the-off/id1516897830?i=1000519190157

Come on England!

I genuinely tried, but I just cannot do it. As you well know, being a Liverpool supporter is far far more than just what goes on on the pitch, its the fans, the way we support, the personality of the players, the likeability of the managers and staff, its one big family that pulls together. England by comparison is the most dysfunctional family imaginable, with its racists, its utter idiots, those who jump on the bandwagon every 2 years, managers and players you just cannot like, its awful and sadly some of our wonderful players have married into it.

I'll back Hendo during this, but cannot be doing with the rest.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3178 on: June 13, 2021, 08:59:13 am »
Strange side. Grealish is a must start for me.

Mings struggles at this level so thought he may go with 3 at back with wing backs.

Amazed the FA have had to ask the fans not to boo them taking the knee. It’s 2021.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3179 on: June 13, 2021, 08:59:42 am »
Pickford - c*nt
Walker - Covid lockdown breaking c*nt
Stones
Mings
Chilwell
Rice
Phillips
Mount - DIVING!
Foden - DIVING!
Sterling - DIVING!
Kane  - DIVING!

I don't understand how people can ignore and be OK with the fascist/racist/scumbag nature of England fans...

If you've ever been to Wembley in the past or seen their shithouse behaviour around the country or even abroad then they are embarrasing knuckle-dragging wankstains.

Come on ABE.

I remember Reds who were around Anfield when England played there and the stories of "10 German Bombers" ringing out outside the Albert. You can fucking keep it.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3180 on: June 13, 2021, 09:03:17 am »

Come on ABE.

You really like to view everything as absolutely black or white don’t you? To support England doesn’t mean you excuse any behaviour that is totally out of line. Believe it or not, England has been home to people that aren’t like that and still is. As always the people that shout the loudest or behave the worst become the story. If we’re ruling out teams based on how SOME fans act there’d be almost no acceptable winner of the entire tournament because I hate to break it to you but racism is not exclusive to England nor its fans. Ask Theo Walcott how he felt in Croatia, or how Sulley Muntari felt in Italy. Or how Axel Witsel felt when Russian fans protested his signing. That’s 3 we can rule out immediately. I’m sure we can find more.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:04:51 am by Gerry Attrick »

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3181 on: June 13, 2021, 09:06:01 am »
Definitely want England to do well, but an utter failure has its upsides too. Southgate and Kane will ultimately get exposed again.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3182 on: June 13, 2021, 09:10:32 am »
I hope they do well, I like the fact that this team is taking a stand and they deserve support for that. As Gerry says racism is across Europe as a whole not just here. Also even Liverpool have some fans who behave like arses from time to time.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3183 on: June 13, 2021, 09:14:22 am »
Tough one for Southgate. Foden, Mount and Grealish all deserve to be staring but all too similar … think he does need one of Sterling or Rashford as they are the only players in squad who will be looking to run in behind… Kane will drop and rest will be looking to progress the ball, not stretch oppositions defence.

I’d go Grealish and bring foden on in 2nd half.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3184 on: June 13, 2021, 09:17:18 am »
I remember Reds who were around Anfield when England played there and the stories of "10 German Bombers" ringing out outside the Albert. You can fucking keep it.

Those will be the poppy-toting ‘keep politics out of football’ boo boys that you hear tonight.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3185 on: June 13, 2021, 09:21:24 am »
You really like to view everything as absolutely black or white don’t you? To support England doesn’t mean you excuse any behaviour that is totally out of line. Believe it or not, England has been home to people that aren’t like that and still is. As always the people that shout the loudest or behave the worst become the story. If we’re ruling out teams based on how SOME fans act there’d be almost no acceptable winner of the entire tournament because I hate to break it to you but racism is not exclusive to England nor its fans. Ask Theo Walcott how he felt in Croatia, or how Sulley Muntari felt in Italy. Or how Axel Witsel felt when Russian fans protested his signing. That’s 3 we can rule out immediately. I’m sure we can find more.

You're saying that there are other countries with more racist fans than England?

Hard to believe.

I used to once really get behind England and support them, but after years of working around the country and going to England games over the years I fucking can't stand them nowdays.

Their fans are c*nts. For every 2 or 3 decent fans (And, of course there are some) - I'd say you've got 50 that are absolute twats. I worked in London on and off for more than 10 years and was out and about when the England fans were there and they were a fucking gang of racist fuckwits.

Even when I've been abroad on holiday when England play - you've got their knuckle dragging racist titheads wrecking hotels, bars and fighting with the police and locals minding their own business.

England and their shitbag fans can fuck off.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3186 on: June 13, 2021, 09:23:44 am »

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Mings
Chilwell
Rice
Phillips
Mount
Foden
Sterling
Kane

Some have England as favourites and are writing the Germans off.  Not a favourite for me with that side. England have some top attacking players but are pretty average everywhere else. Anyway let’s see how they play.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3187 on: June 13, 2021, 09:26:24 am »
Not starting Grealish will cost them I reckon.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3188 on: June 13, 2021, 09:27:58 am »
Trippier at LB when he hasnt played there all season.
While Chilwell & Shaw both in good form. Insane decision.

Phillips & Rice midfield average for Int football as well.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3189 on: June 13, 2021, 09:29:00 am »
Trippier at LB when he hasnt played there all season.
While Chilwell & Shaw both in good form. Insane decision.

Phillips & Rice midfield average for Int football as well.

If you are going off that rumoured team then its Chilwell at fullback.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3190 on: June 13, 2021, 09:29:23 am »
Apparently Trippier going to play left back. Mings is going to play despite being Mings and Sterling playing over Grealish.

Good old Southgate.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3191 on: June 13, 2021, 09:30:20 am »
If you are going off that rumoured team then its Chilwell at fullback.

All the journo's this mornging saying Trippier is starting at left back.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3192 on: June 13, 2021, 09:30:21 am »
Seen several posts from Athletic saying it’s tripper at left back which is just odd… will really unbalance them.

I’d go Bellingham over KP too.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3193 on: June 13, 2021, 09:32:57 am »
You're saying that there are other countries with more racist fans than England?

Hard to believe.

What are you basing this on. When some fans booed the knee just as many cheered and clapped in the friendlies.

I've yet to see and England crowd descend in to this level of racist abuse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49955900

Last night Russia fans were jeering Belgium players taking the knee

It's also a minority of England fans who oppose taking the knee

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3194 on: June 13, 2021, 09:33:16 am »
Seen several posts from Athletic saying it’s tripper at left back which is just odd… will really unbalance them.

Are you nuts?

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3195 on: June 13, 2021, 09:33:27 am »
Should play Grealish instead of KP. Piss off the double 6. You only need Rice as the DM.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3196 on: June 13, 2021, 09:35:35 am »
Should play Grealish instead of KP. Piss off the double 6. You only need Rice as the DM.
Not in International tournament football and when you have Stone and Mings at the back.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3197 on: June 13, 2021, 09:36:14 am »

Hard to believe.

I used to once really get behind England and support them, but after years of working around the country and going to England games over the years I fucking can't stand them nowdays.

Their fans are c*nts. For every 2 or 3 decent fans (And, of course there are some) - I'd say you've got 50 that are absolute twats. I worked in London on and off for more than 10 years and was out and about when the England fans were there and they were a fucking gang of racist fuckwits.

Even when I've been abroad on holiday when England play - you've got their knuckle dragging racist titheads wrecking hotels, bars and fighting with the police and locals minding their own business.

England and their shitbag fans can fuck off.

Today England are playing a team with multiple very high profile racism issues that have happened in stadiums.

I’m 2016 their FA banned their fans from a couple of away games because they feared UEFA might ban them from the 2016 Euros due to previous racism issues. They had to play a game behind closed doors due to racist chanting against Norway. What happened at that behind closed doors game? A couple of fans drew a Swastika on the pitch and sprayed it with a chemical to make it visible.

The 2016 Euros, are we forgetting the time a firework was chucked on next to a goalkeeper that came from the end where their fans were in? Or how UEFA’s anti-discrimination campaigners said they heard far right chants at the game.

But by all means, let’s be anybody but England.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3198 on: June 13, 2021, 09:36:52 am »
I certainly think Grealish has done enough to have earned a start he is someone who will create and can do that with very little as well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3199 on: June 13, 2021, 09:36:59 am »

Pieterson is much the better batsman, even at his age
A win for the Liverpool country