Author Topic: Racism in Football  (Read 149083 times)

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Racism in Football
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2018, 04:24:51 pm »
It's shocking that it takes someone having had enough of the abuse to speak out for the bandwagoners to jump on board.

I thought "kick it out" and the PFA would be the ones constantly in the ears of the written media, clubs, TV, the PL, the FA, UEFA, FIFA, players, fans, stewards, referees and everyone else remotely involved with the sport to have put a stop to it by now. 

What the hell do they get paid for otherwise?

Personally I don't think racism has reduced in the slightest throughout society in my lifetime due mainly to people not understanding what it actually is. 

A bit like rape, for some the lines are too blurred to ascertain whether they've been crossed.

Nothing's been done, it's never taken seriously, its never consistent and it's definitely not been kicked out.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2018, 04:26:54 pm »
That is harder to prove and a potential fool's errand.

Stan Collymor... Nah it was a caller after him on James O'brien this morning talked about the roles that young black footballers get pigeon holed into in the pitch. Statistically they get shunted onto the wing ("athletic", "fast") or upfront (as "big bruisers") and rarely into midfield. To play in the middle, puts you in position of controller and intelligence. But this flies in the face of the IQ narrative that is baked into the system and fuel for the degeneracy dished out to black folk globally. He pointed out that Ince and Viera were the only [obvious] ones that managed to shatter through this glass ceiling. Playing such a role grooms one for leadership... Quelle surprise they are in the tiny minority that have made it into management.

Think back to Ron Atkinson's words when he thought nobody was listening...it's no wonder King Kong gets endlessly remade for new generations.

Not sure I'd agree with that - off the top of my head Makelele, Essien, Gilberto Silva and Kante are amongst the very best to have played in the PL and I reckon in a couple of years Keita and Wijnaldum will commonly be spoken about in the same company. I've never thought black people being stereotyped as not being able to play in the middle was a thing, but maybe I'm being naive.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2018, 04:37:03 pm »
John Barnes on BBC Breakfast, owning this debate like it's an 80's right back. I love this man.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2f4rVvpmzJ0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2f4rVvpmzJ0</a>

Can we frame video clips, he's spot on. Those who look down on any group do so from a perspective of fear, power and ignorance and John is spot on in terms of how these dynamics work.

As for Raheem, he's also right, no surprise that the hate and fear driving rag the Daily Mail is used as an example of low level racism as this is how this polite approach subtly breathes life into more virulent expressions of hate.

I don't know how whistling and booing of Raheem at Anfield in the future will be perceived in future, I am sure there will be more than one person involved who may add an extra element of vigour into their noise because they can cloak their views behind a probably more justified undermining of his confidence but next time it happens it probably won't look good now, despite the intention, I am sure, being otherwise (and appearing to work). I think it may be time to move on now, mainly because this Chelsea dickhead has drawn a lot of sympathy towards a 24 year old trying to do his job.

I do worry about middle aged men who appear to carry so much hate, I remember Michael Owen getting hate directed at him by Celtic fans when he was about 17 and had played only a few games. The clubs get on, sing the same song and he had (at that stage) done nothing to merit hate from Celtic fans, but he still got it. You don't get it any many other sports (including Rugby where the players fight regularly), perhaps only wrestling where some of the fans appear to have some form of mental illness. What is wrong with these people, and I include some of our own in this.

As for 21 and 18 year olds who have barely achieved anything buying £2m houses, for their mothers or otherwise, I don't care who it is, I think it probably is wrong for other reasons at a time when people are scraping around at food banks and contemplating suicide because of Universal Credit and Welfare changes. It's not their fault at all, but the money in the system is excessive, that's another issue, I don't care who it is.

Hate leads us down a path to a place we should not go.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:46:16 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2018, 04:41:52 pm »
There is significantly less (blatant) racism in pro wrestling than in real sports. In private I'm sure a lot of wrestling fans are racist just like many more football fans will be.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2018, 04:45:47 pm »
There is significantly less (blatant) racism in pro wrestling than in real sports. In private I'm sure a lot of wrestling fans are racist just like many more football fans will be

I wasn't talking about Racism, just what appears to be hate. I know it's only a few but it's the only one where I've seen these screwed up faces appear. I know a lot of it is whipped up play and innocent, just think one or two don't appear to get that, forgive my ignorance, especially if it's just America.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2018, 04:50:57 pm »
I wasn't talking about Racism, just what appears to be hate. I know it's only a few but it's the only one where I've seen these screwed up faces appear. I know a lot of it is whipped up play and innocent, just think one or two don't appear to get that, forgive my ignorance, especially if it's just America.

Oh fair enough. I don't think it's ever as bad as those Chelsea fans, mostly because everyone is in on the joke with wrestling.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2018, 04:56:50 pm »
Oh fair enough. I don't think it's ever as bad as those Chelsea fans, mostly because everyone is in on the joke with wrestling.

Yes, I know, what I was doing was suggesting that football is relatively unique in that otherwise 'normal' people are drawn into visual and audible expressions of hate (like the Chelsea solicitor and many, many others) and that Cricket, Golf, Rugby, Athletics etc appear relatively immune. So far I can think of football and a small number of obviously confused (ie they buy the whipped up hysteria) fans in wrestling, yes mostly Americans from what I've seen (and yes, my research does involve things like watching Louis Theroux, it's not scientific)

Aside from that it's on the street, the train, the bus, the ballot box and in the home that hate show itself most but especially inside people's heads and, if they think they can get away with it, the internet.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:00:39 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2018, 04:59:37 pm »
Well, all we have to do is to look at all the racists that have come out of hiding in America since Trump took over. They always existed, but naive people like me thought that they were only a very small portion of our population in 2016. But I was very wrong. They just kept quiet until a disgusting scum became President. He gave them courage and a voice again.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2018, 05:05:06 pm »
Well, all we have to do is to look at all the racists that have come out of hiding in America since Trump took over. They always existed, but naive people like me thought that they were only a very small portion of our population in 2016. But I was very wrong. They just kept quiet until a disgusting scum became President. He gave them courage and a voice again.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

George Santayana

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/documenting-hate-new-american-nazis/

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/nazi-propaganda

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2018, 06:30:02 pm »
I do worry about middle aged men who appear to carry so much hate,

I'm middle aged (plus) and I have never thought of hurling hate at a player. Oh I will get annoyed when I see cheating or a bad tackle etc. but I never shout at anyone because of gender, race etc. What is wrong with people who think that it is ok?

Well done Sterling for speaking up and well done Chelsea for taking a stand. Personally I would ban such bigots for the rest of their lives.
#JFT97

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2018, 06:38:01 pm »

You can vote for Obama and think he's a good man, but still have unconscious racism against POC. It's not black or white issue. There is grey areas in all aspects of life.

Trump never gave them a voice, Frottage hasn't suddenly turned Britain into a more hateful place. Over the years, I know people who will say in public "I'm against racism and its wrong" but then have unconscious biases which they might not be aware of which are racist. However there is a difference between have unconscious biases and straight out abuse. Not mixing up the two.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2018, 07:46:04 pm »
You can vote for Obama and think he's a good man, but still have unconscious racism against POC. It's not black or white issue. There is grey areas in all aspects of life.

Trump never gave them a voice, Frottage hasn't suddenly turned Britain into a more hateful place. Over the years, I know people who will say in public "I'm against racism and its wrong" but then have unconscious biases which they might not be aware of which are racist. However there is a difference between have unconscious biases and straight out abuse. Not mixing up the two.
I think (?) I'm agreeing with you when I recognize that the vast majority of us get a bit uncomfortable when we are with people different than *us*, whatever *us* represents (skin color, language, income level, nationality, religious affiliation, team we support). But that's when our civilized brains should remind us that we need to overcome that initial negative gut bias and realize that these *others* are probably 90% similar to us. Most of us do that.

But then there is a group, larger than I thought, that just fucking hates *others* but keeps those ugly thoughts to themselves. Trump and his kind encourage them and give them a dangerous hope that they can become mainstream.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2018, 07:46:12 pm »
Invisible banana skins thrown at black people every day, says John Barnes
By Mandeep Sanghera

BBC Sport

They are two Jamaica-born England internationals playing 30 years apart, but racism has proved an issue for both.

Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling was allegedly racially abused during his side's 2-0 defeat at Chelsea, while former Liverpool winger John Barnes experienced racism in his career.

Barnes famously backheeled a banana skin off the pitch in a game at Everton in 1988 and tells BBC Sport that the problem has not gone away since his playing days.

Newspapers 'fuel racism' in football - Sterling
What was racism like in your era?

"It's been well documented over the years," says Barnes. "For any black player in the 1980s it would have been the same old racist chants, bananas on the field - just something that was an accepted part of society and football.

"Maybe the overt racism that I experienced, you may not have seen in the last 20 years. Now, with the Raheem Sterling incident, maybe it has reared its ugly head again.

"I, for one, never thought that it had went away - you just never heard it because people kept their mouths shut."

You had banana skins thrown at you. What did you make of a similar incident at Tottenham against Arsenal recently?

"It didn't surprise me because black people go through invisible banana skins being thrown at them and unspoken racial abuse every day of their lives.

"The very fact that now a real banana skin came on and there was real abuse doesn't surprise me at all. I just thought it was to be expected."

You didn't think this is a return to the bad days?

"Those days haven't gone. They have gone in terms of the overt racism. In many respects, I much prefer the overt racism now to the racism we went through in the last 10 years whereby we are being told that it doesn't exist so, therefore, let's get on with it. I knew that not to be true.

"In many respects, I'm glad it happened because it will bring home to people that we have still got a long way to go and it is still alive and kicking."

Has anything really changed since your day?

"The only way it has changed is that you don't hear it any more. In terms of the perception people still have of blacks, Muslims, gays, women in power - we still hold on to those misconceptions and perceptions based on what we have been wrongly told."

How did you deal with it as a player?

"I came from Jamaica as a 13-year-old from a middle-class Jamaican family who never experienced racism before. It never affected me because I was fully confident of who I was. It never got me upset, angry - I laughed very much like Raheem said that he laughed because he didn't expect any better.

"For me, that is the right way to deal with because how can you let ignorant people affect you - I've always said that."

How should the current players deal with it?

"Everybody has to be true to their own character and themselves. Ian Wright will deal with it differently to how I deal with it. There is no right or wrong - you have to be true to yourself.

"A player who wants to fight, kick and scream, complain and walk off the field - you do that. There is no right or wrong way to deal with it."

Is the negative coverage of Raheem Sterling a race issue?

"It's not as simple as saying that it is a race issue because you have white players who go through that as well but I think the colour adds to it.

"What will then happen is that when people don't like you they will look at something else that they don't like and something else that may seem to be negative about you and, unfortunately, black has become negative in people's psyche.

"I don't see why black should be a negative and it's not negative. The people perpetrating that particular thought are wrong. The way I look at it, 'if you don't like me then don't like me' and if you are then going to add to that and bring my colour into it then that's not going to make me feel any different. I don't see that as being a negative and I'm sure Raheem doesn't see it has being a negative either."

The former Liverpool and England footballer, John Barnes, says media coverage has a lot to answer for
During your career, you were seen as a scapegoat by the media. Sterling gets that as well, do you draw parallels with his situation?

"The question mark towards me was whether I was committed to England because I wasn't born in England. Raheem wasn't born in England but I don't think that was thrown at him. It's the fact that they just have a negative perception of his character.

"A lot of that is based on him being black as well so it is the negative perception they have of him. I do draw parallels with that but, on the other hand, it was to do with the misconception of my commitment to England. I don't think they are saying he is not committed to England because he was not born in England which is what was thrown at me."

What can be done?

"Forget about football, we have to stop compartmentalising it and thinking it is a problem in football and the rest of society is fine. We have to look at it holistically and as a whole and say let us tackle racism or discrimination in life. Then you can look to get rid of it in football. The only way you can do that is first to deconstruct the idea of where racism came from.

"Racism comes from the fact that for the last X amount of years, the history that we have learnt - what we have been told about different groups of people - have put a certain group of people above the other, which is a lie."

Are the punishments out there enough of a deterrent?

"Punishments are a deterrent in terms of if you want to watch a football match. Punishments aren't a deterrent for you to change your perception of black people or women or homosexuals. All you have to do is keep your mouth shut.

"If you think punishments are the answer, it is not the answer. It is the answer if you just don't want to hear it and I think that is what football and society would be happy with. As long as we don't hear or see it then that is OK.

"Society has to do more, not football."

What about when you were a manager?

"I don't differentiate between racism in football to racism in life so, therefore, as a football manager I knew that I would get racist abuse. If I'm doing well and winning matches I will get no abuse. They will love me but as soon as I start to lose matches, not only won't they not like me, they will look at something which they consider to be negative to focus on that.

"That is why I say black football managers are given less time than white football managers to fail, meaning that if a black football manager will get sacked after five games, a white football manager will get sacked after 10 games.

"He will still get sacked but he will be given more time because of the perception we have of their capabilities. That's no different from anybody else in any industry. If you are black then you have to be better than your white counterpart to be equal. That's life."
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2018, 08:42:54 pm »
I can't understand how a fan can listen to David beckham's best friend Gary neville, say the abuse suffered by Sterling is the worst he has ever heard for England.  And continue to boo Sterling, when he plays us, there are obviously racial undertones to what is happening and anyone booing of football reasons, is providing a cover for racists.  I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with that thought

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2018, 08:57:09 pm »
and anyone booing of football reasons, is providing a cover for racists. 

So we can only boo white players?

Can play people boo black players?

Can women boo male players?

Absolutely ridiculous.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2018, 09:05:54 pm »
So we can only boo white players?

Can play people boo black players?

Can women boo male players?

Absolutely ridiculous.

You can do what you want, but you  can't claim ignorance in good conscience anymore IMO.

There seem to be bigger issues than football going on here. 

If you are happy to boo, in the likelyhood, you are doing so alongside racists, go ahead

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2018, 09:11:44 pm »
You can do what you want, but you  can't claim ignorance in good conscience anymore IMO.

There seem to be bigger issues than football going on here. 

If you are happy to boo, in the likelyhood, you are doing so alongside racists, go ahead

We're gonna have to disagree pal. I think if you don't do something that isn't bigoted, just because bigots do it, then that in itself is wrong.

There is a problem with racism in society. If we were all booing say ... Kante, then not booing Chelsea's white players, I'd be concerned. Unless he crocked one of our players and got away with it, then it's back to football booing!

But if we're booing a player who has a history, then that's fine in my book.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2018, 09:54:24 pm »
Not sure I'd agree with that - off the top of my head Makelele, Essien, Gilberto Silva and Kante are amongst the very best to have played in the PL and I reckon in a couple of years Keita and Wijnaldum will commonly be spoken about in the same company. I've never thought black people being stereotyped as not being able to play in the middle was a thing, but maybe I'm being naive.

You are. I'll make an effort to get the study showimg preconceptions determined exactly where on the pitch certain players would be found.

Kante has just been described as technically limited by Sarri whose choice for the middle is clear: Joginho.
Not a single player mentioned there was particularly lauded for their cerebral qualities. Maybe Claude but like others, it was more for his physicality, brute strength, engine etc.

Let's look at the golden generation. Ashley Cole was the most consistent player for England yet you never really hear this point made where Saint David or any of the others are concerned. He still gets bile yet Beckham also committed adultery. They say Lewis Hamilton is a bit flash with his earrings, fashion'n'sheit.. They just cannot warm to him. But Becks did the same shit, and won less for his country.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2018, 09:59:32 pm »
There is significantly less (blatant) racism in pro wrestling than in real sports. In private I'm sure a lot of wrestling fans are racist just like many more football fans will be.

Ditto Nascar. Not sure what this adds. Sports do not exist in a vacuum, these are societal issues. Those Strangford bridge cavemen don't case their ideologies as soon as they leave the stadium. Where did their view come from in the first place? Who taught them?

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2018, 10:09:47 pm »
Remarkable how all the media blatantly ignore Daily Fails coverage who Sterling cited in his Instagram post. Even Fail posted the article but removed his screenshots and disabled all comments. Then you got Viv Anderson telling us how media are racist on his Daily Fail column. Bizarre

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2018, 10:11:42 pm »
I'm middle aged (plus) and I have never thought of hurling hate at a player. Oh I will get annoyed when I see cheating or a bad tackle etc. but I never shout at anyone because of gender, race etc. What is wrong with people who think that it is ok?

Well done Sterling for speaking up and well done Chelsea for taking a stand. Personally I would ban such bigots for the rest of their lives.

The current system of punishment doesn't work. Andy Jacobs called this; he said he's seen people that have been banned at games. No one stops them getting in. If those in power were serious, those banned would required to report to police stations when games were on. This is what motivation looks like, instead of the usual hand wringing + "there's no space for this in football. Over to the weather... " rhetoric in media outlets.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2018, 10:18:34 pm »
Sadly i gave up football because of racist abuse from parents in Sunday league, some verging on the outrageous to pure snidey .Decided to stick with Rugby instead and played to a decent level although I prefered playing football but just dreaded playing on the weekends as i knew what was coming.I'm fully behind Sterling on this and i just hope things do change in the future but we shall see.
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2018, 10:49:26 pm »
Sadly i gave up football because of racist abuse from parents in Sunday league, some verging on the outrageous to pure snidey .Decided to stick with Rugby instead and played to a decent level although I prefered playing football but just dreaded playing on the weekends as i knew what was coming.I'm fully behind Sterling on this and i just hope things do change in the future but we shall see.

That is absolutely shameful mate and sorry you had to endure that.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2018, 11:01:30 pm »
Ditto Nascar. Not sure what this adds. Sports do not exist in a vacuum, these are societal issues. Those Strangford bridge cavemen don't case their ideologies as soon as they leave the stadium. Where did their view come from in the first place? Who taught them?
when Montoya was in NASCAR he got some shit

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/217349-juan-pablo-montoya-a-world-class-driver-working-at-nascar

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2018, 11:20:08 pm »

As a child in secondary school paying in a good team, we had a game in Kidbrooke SE London, where we had opposition parents calling us fucking black monkeys, and wogs all game. The biggest betrayal came from the ref, coaches and my school whom opted not to call the police or take serious action. We were 13/14 years of age.

::)

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2018, 11:43:35 pm »
West Ham fans call shout abuse at their own Muslim fans. Pretty funny when their old stadium was in a predominantly multi ethnic area

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2018, 05:17:56 am »
Brilliant from Neville.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YF3jTYjXEe8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YF3jTYjXEe8</a>
:D

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2018, 08:13:06 am »

As a child in secondary school paying in a good team, we had a game in Kidbrooke SE London, where we had opposition parents calling us fucking black monkeys, and wogs all game. The biggest betrayal came from the ref, coaches and my school whom opted not to call the police or take serious action. We were 13/14 years of age.

Fuckin hell mate. which years were this? I can't get my head around this....

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2018, 09:29:38 am »

That is disgusting from the scum who abused you and shameful from the ones who did nothing about it.

Until the racist c*nts stop teaching their kids to be racist, this is a problem that isn't going to go away.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: December 11, 2018, 09:51:08 am »
Stan Collymor... Nah it was a caller after him on James O'brien this morning talked about the roles that young black footballers get pigeon holed into in the pitch. Statistically they get shunted onto the wing ("athletic", "fast") or upfront (as "big bruisers") and rarely into midfield. To play in the middle, puts you in position of controller and intelligence. But this flies in the face of the IQ narrative that is baked into the system and fuel for the degeneracy dished out to black folk globally. He pointed out that Ince and Viera were the only [obvious] ones that managed to shatter through this glass ceiling. Playing such a role grooms one for leadership... Quelle surprise they are in the tiny minority that have made it into management.

Think back to Ron Atkinson's words when he thought nobody was listening...it's no wonder King Kong gets endlessly remade for new generations.
While I wouldn't be surprised if there was an undercurrent of this, the idea that it's linked to ethnicity rather than physicality is demonstrably untrue. Delph, Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Lingard, Ox, Livermore and Chalobah have all been capped for England in midfield in the past year alone. When you bring foreign players into it the number skyrockets.

Similarly, I'm not sure where the Beckham/Cole comparison comes in. Beckham had to singlehandedly get England to a major tournament to stop being a tabloid hate figure, and even then he was blamed for us going out because he 'shirked a tackle' and held up for years as an example of a tattooed chav moron who was too thick to play in the middle. Cole became a figure of ridicule after his book came out, but if anything the narrative that he was the most consistent player of the 'golden generation' has become a cliche.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:57:08 am by Sheer Magnetism »

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2018, 10:28:22 am »
So the Chelsea fan accused of this is claiming he ‘didn’t call him a black c*nt, I called him a Manx c*nt.’

To be fair, if that is proven to be true, which is a big of, then he’s been treated fairly harshly as he’s lost his job and his season ticket over it. Calling someone a Manc c*nt is something I can personally say I’ve done at many Man United matches down the years as have many of us i’m Sure.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2018, 10:48:34 am »
Cant we get FBI lip readers to figure out what he said.

Online cissesbeard

• Kopite
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2018, 10:55:32 am »
So the Chelsea fan accused of this is claiming he ‘didn’t call him a black c*nt, I called him a Manx c*nt.’

To be fair, if that is proven to be true, which is a big of, then he’s been treated fairly harshly as he’s lost his job and his season ticket over it. Calling someone a Manc c*nt is something I can personally say I’ve done at many Man United matches down the years as have many of us i’m Sure.

one of our fans was accused of similar at the fa cup game against oldham years ago - had called him a manc bastard.
racism is still obviously a problem in society and over the last couple of years society seems more split than ever with people wanting to single people out for being different etc. a guy on talksport last night was claiming that race was part of the reason why lewis hamilton isnt loved by the public (personally i reckon its cos he comes accross as a bit of a prick). simon jordan countered this by saying Anthony Joshua is adored by the public so its not straightforward.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2018, 10:55:47 am »
Grown adults getting all worked up because an opposition player is within their periphery is utterly ubsurd.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2018, 11:03:07 am »
Grown adults getting all worked up because an opposition player is within their periphery is utterly ubsurd.

Come on, do you remember the shit Neville got after that Old Trafford celebration at the Fa Cup game at Anfield.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2018, 11:06:54 am »
one of our fans was accused of similar at the fa cup game against oldham years ago - had called him a manc bastard.
racism is still obviously a problem in society and over the last couple of years society seems more split than ever with people wanting to single people out for being different etc. a guy on talksport last night was claiming that race was part of the reason why lewis hamilton isnt loved by the public (personally i reckon its cos he comes accross as a bit of a prick). simon jordan countered this by saying Anthony Joshua is adored by the public so its not straightforward.

Hamilton probably to do with him being an overt tax dodger in my opinion

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2018, 12:21:29 pm »
Come on, do you remember the shit Neville got after that Old Trafford celebration at the Fa Cup game at Anfield.

Not that i'm condoning it but two different extremes. Neville deliberately goaded the fans whereas Sterling had the audacity to collect the ball for a corner kick. Either way, its still moronic behaviour. Doesn't really happen anywhere else other than sporting events. Im sure in real life, they have nice houses, families and jobs

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2018, 12:38:34 pm »

Small world.  I grew up in Charlton/Woolwich and yeah Kidbrooke/Eltham/Mottingham were always places we didnt wanna play.

This weekend has really been a disaster for British football.  You had the Chelsea incident as well as Hearts having to ban some fans for hurling racist abuse. 

This needs sorting out.  Personally I would like to see the players just walk off the pitch.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2018, 12:43:39 pm »
Small world.  I grew up in Charlton/Woolwich and yeah Kidbrooke/Eltham/Mottingham were always places we didnt wanna play.

This weekend has really been a disaster for British football.  You had the Chelsea incident as well as Hearts having to ban some fans for hurling racist abuse. 

This needs sorting out.  Personally I would like to see the players just walk off the pitch.

That will have zero effect on the racists, they don't care about the game or the other 40 or 50 thousand in the stadium, they just want to spout their vile shite. I'd much rather the Police were informed there and then, the game continues and the gobshites were arrested.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2018, 12:49:42 pm »
Not that i'm condoning it but two different extremes. Neville deliberately goaded the fans whereas Sterling had the audacity to collect the ball for a corner kick. Either way, its still moronic behaviour. Doesn't really happen anywhere else other than sporting events. Im sure in real life, they have nice houses, families and jobs

On the Under the Lights Show on TAW last night they were talking about the atmosphere at Anfield tonight and making the point that it isn’t so much about the singing, but about the general shouting and chatoic atmosphere. One of them, I forget who, made the point that every time a Napoli player takes a throw in he’ll he told to fuck off by the fans near the pitch, every time a Napoli player takes a corner he’ll get similar, and he was saying that as a good thing that gives us an advantage.

With that in mind, where do you draw the line? Because that’s basically the same as what happened on Saturday (again, assuming he’s telling the truth,) so do we ban all of that?

My own view on this is that if we want that hostility which the game at its best is famed for then you just have to accept it’s going to occasionally overrun and look a little excessive. If a multimillionaire footballer can’t handle being called a Manc c*nt in a game which he surely knew would be a hostile atmosphere then I’d say maybe he needs to get a bit thicker skin. It was never an issue for Carra and Gerrard etc.

Don’t get me wrong the man in question looked an utter twat, but if that’s what he’s said, I find it hard to be massively critical when I know I’ve shouted the same at United players probably thousands of times down the years.

Sterling does strike me as a bit of a cry baby at times. And before anyone starts I am not referring to his comments about the treatment of black players in the media which he’s obviously spot on about, and I’m not referring to any actual racist abuse he may have received down the years, that is obviously out of order. But when he came back to Anfield after acting like a total c*nt when getting his move to City what did he honestly expect? That had nothing to do with his ethnicity and everything to do with him being the epitome of the modern footballer having no regard for the club which made him. You may argue that it’s a short career and most of us would do similar, and you may well be right, but football is a tribal game and if you’re going to do that you just have to accept you’re going to be public enemy number 1 for a while.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:54:04 pm by Jm55 »