Author Topic: Kop to be expanded ...  (Read 171231 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Kop to be expanded ...
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2018, 04:58:51 am »
That's very reminiscent of the old standing Kop - albeit steeper.......with the curved corners etc.  What I don't understand with our present Kop is when it was being built, why didn't they factor in the curved corners (like this picture) to replicate the experience from the old Kop ?  I know it's easy in hindsight to talk about this now, but even so.

Not sure what you mean. The Spurs ground is that shape because it’s essentially the same design as the Emirates. All they’ve done is omit the overhang and the boxes at that end.

The standing Kop was an earth bank that was defined by the Walton Breck Road. It didn’t have curved corners - the two wings were angled not curved.

The modern Kop was built with the upper rows cantilevered and the shape was defined by the line of the WBR like the standing Kop. The latest extension is cantilevered over the Walton Breck Road - the club must have got permission from the council and highways to do that.

Maybe the new Spurs ground will be intimidating. There’s no reason to assume it will be any more intimidating than the Emirates. What Sunday showed is that Anfield’s reputation is special. We may not have the numbers but the intensity is still there on big occasions.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:06:35 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2018, 04:59:10 pm »
I've got envy, imagine the racket we'd make with it. Look at the size of the bastard. And being built with safe standing specs in mind. It's what you do with it that counts though...

It's big, but I doubt it'll be particularly imposing when 17,000 blokes called Tarquin, with their red trousers and their jumpers tied round their necks, all bring their picnic hampers and mini bottles of prosecco along.

Will be even less intimidating when it's half empty in 5-7 years after Harry Kane et al have fucked off somewhere where they might actually win something and they revert to fighting it out with Everton for the 8th place and a massive chip on their shoulder trophy.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2018, 09:53:02 pm »
The Spion Kop was never particularly big from front to back or tall or steep but it was wide, filling your whole field of view. The new Kop was further back but double the number of 'rows' of heads in the Spion Kop made it seem much bigger:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:02:59 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2018, 09:54:59 pm »
The Spion Kop was never particularly big from to back or tall or steep but it was wide, filling your whole field of view. What's more, double the number of 'rows' of heads made it seem bigger:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tcjdOGi3PrY/Wl5zZh2l6KI/AAAAAAAABrQ/71qb5MUKoG0wLtboEJX3YZxAEBaePxi_wCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/kop357.png
I’m probably making this up, but I’m sure the Kop was 27,000 at full capacity?
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2018, 09:59:14 pm »

26,000 I think.

Safe standing... fill in the corners... you know it makes sense:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:08:39 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2018, 11:10:28 pm »
... 17,000 blokes called Tarquin, with their red trousers and their jumpers tied round their necks, all bring their picnic hampers and mini bottles of prosecco along.

Meady need to do a mock-up of this

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2018, 01:25:25 am »

When I was really young I recall it being said the Spion Kop held 30,000, and this Wiki entry about Anfield suggests this was the case:

The ground remained much the same until 1928, when the Kop was redesigned and extended to hold 30,000 spectators, all standing. A roof was erected as well.[18] Many stadia in England had stands named after the Spion Kop. Anfield's was the largest Kop in the country at the time—it was able to hold more supporters than some entire football grounds.[19] In the same year the topmast of the SS Great Eastern, one of the first iron ships, was rescued from the ship breaking yard at nearby Rock Ferry, and was hauled up Everton Valley by a team of horses, to be erected alongside the new Kop. It still stands there, serving as a flag pole.

When I first started going on the Kop I believe the capacity had been reduced to 28,000, and I know it was reduced further a few times over the years. To be honest, it was damn scary at times, as I'm sure many will acknowledge. In some big games with over 55,000 in the ground my feet barely touched the floor throughout. At the derby in '76 I though my arm was going to break under the pressure.  :o
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2018, 02:42:46 am »
26,000 I think.

Could you do that on the other side Peter, given where they've put the support on the new Main stand?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2018, 10:22:06 am »
Could you do that on the other side Peter, given where they've put the support on the new Main stand?

As at BVB, the columns can be replaced with masts from which to hang the roof trusses.

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Some things are more important .......
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2018, 11:45:32 am »

Peter
Is there an opportunity to fill in with safe standing?
That would an absolute no brainer, something that all parties could get behind.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2018, 11:59:07 am »
As at BVB, the columns can be replaced with masts from which to hang the roof trusses.

Expensive I'd have thought. Hope they'll consider it though. It'd be magnificent.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2018, 01:18:36 pm »
Not sure what you mean. The Spurs ground is that shape because it’s essentially the same design as the Emirates. All they’ve done is omit the overhang and the boxes at that end.

The standing Kop was an earth bank that was defined by the Walton Breck Road. It didn’t have curved corners - the two wings were angled not curved. 
What I meant was why wasn't consideration given, when the new Kop was being designed/built, to filling in the corners, in much the same way as Peter suggests above - instead of it being 'squared off'. Maybe it was considered and dismissed for some reason, I don't know, that's why I asked the question. But, it appeared to me from pictures and seeing it at the time that there was no impediment to doing so ie. no roof support pillars in the way from the other two stands.
By the way I know what the old Kop looked like as I stood on it for enough years - and yes, you're correct the roof was angled, but the terraces in 'the wings' curved round at both sides and, as you probably know, the Main Stand seating extended into the Kop to follow a similar 'curved' pattern at that corner - as in these pictures -

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2018, 02:20:18 pm »
What I meant was why wasn't consideration given, when the new Kop was being designed/built, to filling in the corners, in much the same way as Peter suggests above - instead of it being 'squared off'. Maybe it was considered and dismissed for some reason, I don't know, that's why I asked the question. But, it appeared to me from pictures and seeing it at the time that there was no impediment to doing so ie. no roof support pillars in the way from the other two stands.
By the way I know what the old Kop looked like as I stood on it for enough years - and yes, you're correct the roof was angled, but the terraces in 'the wings' curved round at both sides and, as you probably know, the Main Stand seating extended into the Kop to follow a similar 'curved' pattern at that corner - as in these pictures -

The roof support pillars from the Kenny Dalglish stand didn't impact the old Kop, but possibly the greater size of the new structure meant that filling in the corner wasn't viable at the time?  It's a shame that an unobtrusive cantilever roof wasn't put on the Kemlyn when that was being done in 91-92 but I suppose there was a lot less money in the game back then so the club couldn't justify not going for a cheaper goalpost support?

It's certainly noteworthy that the two clubs that went for cantilever roofs in their 90s rebuilds, ManU and Newcastle, seemed to be able to press ahead with rebuilds a lot quicker in the following decades.

There might have been sound engineering reasons for us not doing it, or it just might have been cost.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2018, 03:07:40 pm »
The roof support pillars from the Kenny Dalglish stand didn't impact the old Kop, but possibly the greater size of the new structure meant that filling in the corner wasn't viable at the time?  It's a shame that an unobtrusive cantilever roof wasn't put on the Kemlyn when that was being done in 91-92 but I suppose there was a lot less money in the game back then so the club couldn't justify not going for a cheaper goalpost support?

It's certainly noteworthy that the two clubs that went for cantilever roofs in their 90s rebuilds, ManU and Newcastle, seemed to be able to press ahead with rebuilds a lot quicker in the following decades.

There might have been sound engineering reasons for us not doing it, or it just might have been cost.
I take your point about the cantilever model and cost.........maybe that was the reason. Still a shame the corners couldn't at least in part have been filled in back then though. But, Alan's earlier post is correct.......the atmosphere can still be special even now.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2018, 09:36:10 pm »
Expensive I'd have thought. Hope they'll consider it though. It'd be magnificent.

New supports in yellow. Other benefits include that more people can see more parts of the ground - more cohesion, more enclosure, common action, wider, big arms/wings drawing you in (like Impi?), sucking in goals.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:51:37 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2018, 09:46:25 pm »

Cost. Pure and simple. I'd say pretty much all UK stadium design up to that point looked at the bottom line cost first. Even Archibald Leitch had cost up front - but he made an engineering virtue of it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:52:24 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2018, 02:40:16 pm »
New supports in yellow. Other benefits include that more people can see more parts of the ground - more cohesion, more enclosure, common action, wider, big arms/wings drawing you in (like Impi?), sucking in goals.

I'm right behind this. Might take safe standing for them to splash the extra cash, but you could do something powerful. A red Impi indeed!

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2018, 04:04:44 pm »
Wouldn't you need all the roofs to be the same height though?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2018, 04:08:38 pm »

That's a fair question and I take your point about the corner quadrants on the Kop - I was responding to the architecture and the impact of WBR, not the seating. The answer is probably down to the piecemeal nature of Anfield's redevelopment over the years. The Centenary was built for the 1992 season before the Kop was rebuilt so the principle of 'goalpost' supports for new roofs had been established. It's interesting that one of the most vehement objections to the 'Parrybowl' was that it was a continuous bowl and the Spurs design is basically the same.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2018, 06:41:22 pm »
Wouldn't you need all the roofs to be the same height though?

No

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #140 on: February 7, 2018, 07:27:06 am »
Peter
Not sure you saw this - do you have view on this?

Peter

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 7, 2018, 09:09:57 am »
Peter

You could but surely standing would be better in the middle of the kop - particularly if you got more people into the same space at cheaper prices.

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #142 on: February 7, 2018, 11:33:58 am »

I am minded to say that LFC should take the lead on safe standing - we have an obligation to supporters past, present and future.
The use in the KOP would be fitting recognition for what we as a Club believe in. (nearly said 'stand for')

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #143 on: February 7, 2018, 10:42:17 pm »
Always believed that 28,000 was the standing Kop's capacity at its peak.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 8, 2018, 01:05:04 am »

Going by the Wiki entry further up the page it was once at 30,000, but yes, the maximum I know for sure that it was was 28,000.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2018, 12:25:57 pm »

That's correct. It was reduced a tad at the start of the 1978 season when fences were installed at the front and the support pillars were widened at the bottom to stop people shimmying up into the roof.

It was not a steep terrace - the gradient being considerably less than the Holte End or the Gelderd End. Having stood at one time on both those terraces, as well as the Stretford End, I always thought that one of the reasons for the high capacity of the Kop was the narrowness of the steps themselves (as well as the absence of any vertical gangways). Elsewhere the steps of the terrace were wider and therefore I guess there were fewer of them per acre, as it were. That's also why, even when Old Trafford was full, you never got the same sense of being in a 'packed' crowd as you did on the Kop.

Looking forward, it would be nice to see the corners filled, though having read these threads I see why that might not be possible from an engineering point of view. Part of the Kop's legendary atmosphere was to do with engineering I always thought. It simply had great acoustics and that must have been partly due to the fact that there was nowhere for the noise to escape to. The roof came down very low over the goal (remember how 'letterbox' the view was from right at the back of the Kop?) and the sides were also filled in as the terrace curved around to meet the Kemlyn and Main Stands. It was almost like being inside a building. Again, unlike the Holte or the Stretford End where you were more open to the elements.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:30:11 pm by Yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2018, 08:15:39 am »
It’ll be empty if they charge the prices they do in the ground.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2018, 03:23:35 pm »
It won't.

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2018, 04:40:32 pm »

4 quid for a beer in the ground, which I think is fine, drinking in the main stand is great before the game.  it'll be full
Sir, the cash monies?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2018, 04:44:01 pm »
4 quid for a beer in the ground, which I think is fine, drinking in the main stand is great before the game.  it'll be full

For a (400ml?) warm bottle of Carlsberg? I'd not really call that fine personally.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2018, 06:02:17 pm »
For a (400ml?) warm bottle of Carlsberg? I'd not really call that fine personally.

I reckon they will buy a fridge... might have to do some player trading first... and then have a meeting over many years to discuss the viability of it all, how many beers, what can we sell them for, will they come, should we do normal beer and export, how many export, we need a beer forum...

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2018, 06:13:07 pm »
I reckon they will buy a fridge... might have to do some player trading first... and then have a meeting over many years to discuss the viability of it all, how many beers, what can we sell them for, will they come, should we do normal beer and export, how many export, we need a beer forum...
Local beers only. None of that OOT stuff.  ;D
Surely cost per bottle space in the fridge will be an important issue too?

On a serious note, the plan seems a decent idea. Sadly, everything to do with football is a total rip-off these days. People still seem to fill the stadiums and their bars regardless of price, though.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:18:54 pm by Son of Spion »

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2018, 06:43:54 pm »

They'd want to find that 'sweet spot' for beer selling

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2018, 08:05:43 am »

£4 for a warm bottle or £2.40 for a cold pint in the pub.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2018, 05:10:27 pm »
£4 for a warm bottle or £2.40 for a cold pint in the pub.

but they only need to get 700 in of a 62,000 crowd!!! for 4 hours... 2 bottles an hour, each person 8 bottles per visit £4 each.... 700 =  £22,400.... 27 games  = £604,000....  hmmm...  need to sell peanuts for not peanuts....  go to get it to £1mill.  Another meeting required.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2018, 04:11:28 pm »
26,000 I think.

How good would that look like?! Everyone stood. Red wall.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2018, 09:07:39 pm »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2018, 09:20:58 pm »
Must of missed that haha, Also remember the new shop was originally supposed to be in the main stand expansion, What has happened to that space?