Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1043092 times)

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
Re: Who is the worst Pundit/Sports Presenter/Commentator on Earth
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2009, 09:22:19 am »
Heard Durham before going on about how Gerrard needs to move abroad to be considered a great player.  Ian Wright spoke some sense and shouted him down but I think half the time he tries to be deliberately controversial.

He always plays Devil's advocate and takes the "controversial" viewpoint.  It's the only way to get people to ring in. 

Offline Rafadagaffer

• Kopite
  • Walk on Walk on..
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2009, 09:46:54 am »
Merson, Townsend and Grooks for me, although I would pick Dunphy if he was there.
I think we have some posibilities, no?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2009, 05:51:04 pm »
What's wrong with Garth Crooks? Goes on a bit but there are loads of worse pundits than him.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: April 8, 2009, 11:35:45 am »
Collymore was back on form last night. What a tool.

Was flicking between five live and talksport after the games to hear the summaries. Collymore was reviewing on one station and on the other was jimmy armfield.

The differing levels of knowledge and sense spoken by the two was quite frankly staggering.

Offline Bangers N Masch

• Legacy Fan
  • Backing Hodgson.
« Reply #204 on: April 8, 2009, 02:07:19 pm »
Dion Dublin's one of the more clueless ones. Apparently tashy ratty neville has been a centre back all his career.

Just everytime he opens his gob, deep down you know even he's not convinced about what he's saying.
'Nights like the semi-final back in 2005 live long in the memory of anyone who witnessed it, never mind me as an opposition player. That night has always stuck in my head and given me the desire to one day play in a red shirt and help the club return to its former glory days.'

Muted for 12 days for calling Rafa fat.

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #205 on: April 8, 2009, 02:12:19 pm »
Every time I hear David Pleat it just feels like I'm sitting in an old peoples home listening to an 85 year old bloke who's lost his mind. Of all the people ITV could get, the two they've gotten consistently over the years are Pleat and Ron Atkinson. No wonder people fucking hate ITV.

Merson is woeful, he's just plain thick. Tim Sherwood is a c*nt of the highest order, and fucking stupid to boot. I used to like Le Tissier and Redknapp but they both got caught up in being good Sky puppets ahead of being good pundits.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #206 on: April 8, 2009, 02:14:42 pm »
The choice of 3 really limits your selection because in that list, there's a lot of tools.

I've gone for Merson - bumbling muppet, Le Tissier - I'd love to see Southampton cease to exist just just piss him off and Craig Burley - who tries hard enough to be Martin Tyler's monkey and still comes a cropper!

I'll just drop another one in there, Tim bloody Sherwood - what does the guy know about football. He coaches players like Bent, Keane at Spurs. Enough said.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: April 8, 2009, 02:14:47 pm »
Dion Dublin's one of the more clueless ones. Apparently tashy ratty neville has been a centre back all his career.

Just everytime he opens his gob, deep down you know even he's not convinced about what he's saying.

i was amazed on sunday when dublin came out and said neville has been a centre back all his career! however, i dont think hes any way near as bad as other.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Bangers N Masch

• Legacy Fan
  • Backing Hodgson.
« Reply #208 on: April 8, 2009, 02:15:56 pm »
Every time I hear David Pleat it just feels like I'm sitting in an old peoples home listening to an 85 year old bloke who's lost his mind. Of all the people ITV could get, the two they've gotten consistently over the years are Pleat and Ron Atkinson. No wonder people fucking hate ITV.

Merson is woeful, he's just plain thick. Tim Sherwood is a charlie uniform november tango of the highest order, and fucking stupid to boot. I used to like Le Tissier and Redknapp but they both got caught up in being good Sky puppets ahead of being good pundits.

Can't disagree with this post at all. Though I don't mind Pleat, in fact I think he's pretty hilarious, he is incompetent and by christ does he bum Rooney.

Nicholas is just a dispicable c*nt. Sinister bastard. Just something about him makes by blood boil. Never forget when he said Mascherano wasn't worth £17m and he didn't see what he offered to a side - then he went and scored that goal against Reading the very same day.  :D
'Nights like the semi-final back in 2005 live long in the memory of anyone who witnessed it, never mind me as an opposition player. That night has always stuck in my head and given me the desire to one day play in a red shirt and help the club return to its former glory days.'

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #209 on: April 8, 2009, 02:23:53 pm »
I cant stand most of the fuckers on Soccer Saturday because they're just so biased against Liverpool. I'm sure a little bit of it is to annoy Thommo, which is fair enough. But most of it is because of who they work for.

I remember a few months ago when Charlie Nicholas was covering a United game, Bolton maybe, when United scored in injury time. And he went fucking nuts. You're meant to be an Arsenal legend for fuck sake, why would you be so made up that United had won so late? Same goes for Le Tissier and his attitude towards us. Merson isnt quite so bad but he's just a fucking retard. Mcinally or whatever his name is, is just a boring twat. Paul Walsh is pretty boring.

Offline Bangers N Masch

• Legacy Fan
  • Backing Hodgson.
« Reply #210 on: April 8, 2009, 02:28:42 pm »
I try not to watch either of the Saturday live score shows anymore. BBC because their pundits are generally ex-footballers who have the highest fucking horses you could imagine but really spout a lot of shit. Lawrenson, Crooks and Keown being the main culprits. Then on Sky, like you say, they're just all nob heads bar Thommo, and of course Stelling and Kamara who are funny as fuck at times.

If I had to watch either though I'd watch Soccer Saturday, partly because of the three people I've just said above and so that I could laugh at Merson's incompetence, and get angry at the rest of em.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #211 on: April 8, 2009, 02:31:51 pm »
Trevor Francis

His droning voice without any insight is just a total waste of time.

terrible

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: April 8, 2009, 02:36:03 pm »
i actually quite like Keown. Considering him and Dixon were hardly top class players they both speak a lot of sense imo. Better than the normal cliched shite you get from Lawro and the likes on MOTD anyway.

Offline Bangers N Masch

• Legacy Fan
  • Backing Hodgson.
« Reply #213 on: April 8, 2009, 02:36:56 pm »
i actually quite like Keown. Considering him and Dixon were hardly top class player they both speak a lot of sense imo. Better than the normal shite you get from Lawro and the likes on MOTD.

Dixon's alright, always pretty neutral and speaks a bit of sense. Not so sure about Keown myself.

Then again he backed us to win the title the other week so!
« Last Edit: April 8, 2009, 02:38:50 pm by Bangers N Masch »

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #214 on: April 8, 2009, 02:42:29 pm »
Dont really mind Keown or Dixon. I like biased pundits if they're properly biased, thats part of their appeal. I dont mind them two being biased towards Arsenal, or Sheringham being biased towards United. It just pains me to see people who should have no bias towards United whatsoever, pandering to ITV or Sky.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: April 8, 2009, 02:45:41 pm »
I like biased pundits if they're properly biased, thats part of their appeal.Sky.

Mickey Quinn was hilarious doing the United-Villa game on Sky Sports News the other day, being a Liverpool fan and all that.

When Ronaldo made it 2-2:

"and the prawn sandwich brigade have stopped eating and have started making some noise again"  ;D

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #216 on: April 8, 2009, 03:23:58 pm »
Gary fuckin' Birtles.

He actually ruins matches with his moaning. It's unbearable.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #217 on: April 8, 2009, 04:16:48 pm »
From that list ....

1. Merson
2. Sherwood
3. Wright

Absolute daylight robbery that they get paid for the shite they spout.

At least most of the others come out with some valid info/tactical nous at times.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2009, 04:18:34 pm by Red_Rich »
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: April 8, 2009, 04:23:05 pm »
Collymore was back on form last night. What a tool.

Was flicking between five live and talksport after the games to hear the summaries. Collymore was reviewing on one station and on the other was jimmy armfield.

The differing levels of knowledge and sense spoken by the two was quite frankly staggering.

Jimmy armfield is a class pundit - he doesn't need to make controversial assessments just so people pay attention, and he always makes sense when he's commenting on a game. David Pleat is also very good (except when Wayne Rooney's playing).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline USgooner

• Liverpool Red.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 8, 2009, 06:34:55 pm »
Every single time I hear Mark Lawrenson trying to analyse a football game, little bit of me dies.

The Beeb should of hired Leonardo after the WC,  even though is knowledge of English football is some what limited I am pretty sure he'll speak more sense than their entire pundits put together.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2009, 06:38:23 pm by USgooner »

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #220 on: April 8, 2009, 06:51:15 pm »
Sadly I can't vote for Merson 3 times so I went for Merson, Le Tissier & Sherwood

Same here.  Utter twats.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline underscore

• nude corers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 8, 2009, 10:10:10 pm »
Every single time I hear Mark Lawrenson trying to analyse a football game, little bit of me dies.

The Beeb should of hired Leonardo after the WC,  even though is knowledge of English football is some what limited I am pretty sure he'll speak more sense than their entire pundits put together.
Is right.

He's quite dishy as well
Unfortunately, even the most beautiful love stories finish, but they leave behind a lot of wonderful memories, like when my M1 and I kissed for the first time at Welkom, when she looked straight into my eyes and told me 'I love you'.

Valentino Rossi

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: April 8, 2009, 10:12:27 pm »
Have to go with Tommy Smith, a retarded old twat who does the CL commentary for those of us in North America (and elsewhere, watching ESPN coverage).
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: April 9, 2009, 12:23:49 am »
Gary fuckin' Birtles.

He actually ruins matches with his moaning. It's unbearable.

Nah, I quite like Birtles. He gives praise where it's due, and isn't afraid to hammer players if they're having a shocker. Too many commentators are prepared to give footballers the benefit of the doubt if they're playing badly.

Have to go with Tommy Smith, a retarded old twat who does the CL commentary for those of us in North America (and elsewhere, watching ESPN coverage).

That's a great shout, he's totally clueless.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 9, 2009, 12:29:39 am »
What about Andy Gray's Monkey? Don't that hairy twat count?
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #225 on: April 9, 2009, 12:41:05 am »

He's toned down the anti-Liverpool bias lately but still adds absolutely nothing of value to the commentary. You have to seriously question whether he's ever played the game.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Toxteth_Terror

• Kopite
« Reply #226 on: April 9, 2009, 12:44:14 am »
David Pleat is up there... speaks absolute garbage and loves the mancs

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: April 9, 2009, 02:22:12 am »
Say what you want about football fans being fickle and kneejerk, been guilty of it myself more than once. But some of the shite i've heard spewed off the back of tonight's game i really didn't think it was possible for a human being to do a complete 180 on views he was expressing 2 hours earlier and not a hint of irony or any sense of what he was doing was the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard. Completely oblivious.

Bah!!

Offline Dan86

• Kopite
« Reply #228 on: April 9, 2009, 05:59:32 am »
Every time I hear David Pleat it just feels like I'm sitting in an old peoples home listening to an 85 year old bloke who's lost his mind.

Genius, couldn't agree more. He's held in high esteem by some which amazes me. I've always found him to be a drooling, kerb crawling fool.
"if you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later"
- Bob Paisley

Offline Dan86

• Kopite
« Reply #229 on: April 9, 2009, 06:04:09 am »
i actually quite like Keown. Considering him and Dixon were hardly top class players they both speak a lot of sense imo. Better than the normal cliched shite you get from Lawro and the likes on MOTD anyway.

Keown is alright but has the look & mannerisms of a bloke who has body parts in his freezer. Dixon is pretty good.
"if you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later"
- Bob Paisley

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: April 9, 2009, 10:47:47 am »

Keown is alright but has the look & mannerisms of a bloke who has body parts in his freezer. Dixon is pretty good.

:D

This is going to get me some negative feedback, but I actually think Gary Neville is quite a good pundit.

*ducks*

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: April 9, 2009, 06:16:36 pm »
Genius, couldn't agree more. He's held in high esteem by some which amazes me. I've always found him to be a drooling, kerb crawling fool.

Not having that mate, Pleat knows football like the back of his hand, he just gets a bit flustered when trying to pronounce names (bear in mind he's an oldie and there were almost no foreigners when he was playing and managing), he's fantastic on his own but compared to the rest of the shite that's on the list I don't know how on earth anyone can nominate Pleat.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #232 on: April 9, 2009, 08:06:27 pm »
Anyone hear andy gray say something along the lines of "Over the years we have learnt a lot about rafa and you would like to think he has learnt a lot of us too"  ::)

What a feckin cock-jockey!!! :no

Offline irishred1991

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96, YNWA
« Reply #233 on: April 10, 2009, 04:59:27 pm »
eamon dunphy
Liverpool is our religion,
Anfield is our church,
The Kop is our choir,
Fowler is our God.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #234 on: April 10, 2009, 05:42:42 pm »
Merson
Burley
Townsend

Offline Benneh

• Proud owner of a 'Chester' Hat
  • Kopite
« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2009, 06:03:46 pm »
I can never speak a bad word about Andy Townsend after he muttered "get in" several times during ITV's coverage of Istanbul, on most of our converted penalties.

Good bloke.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2009, 06:36:05 pm »

Have to agree with that. Luckily for me the only time he's on is for the Champions League games, which I usually watch at Scallywags (Downtown Toronto LFC pub), where the crowd level is usually too loud to hear any commentary. Thank God for that!

Tommy Smith is an absolute twat.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Chat Rifles

• I'm sorry Wayne, finish your cider.
  • Anny Roader
  • Anything Is Possible
« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2009, 06:38:18 pm »
Alan Shearer
John Barnes
Ian Wright

Leonardo has a proper job with Milan so just did the World Cup for the BBC

Offline flying red

• Kopite
« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2009, 06:47:05 pm »
Craig Burley because he's too old school "I don't see any advantages to zonal  marking."
Paul Merson because he's clueless - most of us could do better.
Martin Tyler's Monkey because he's so full of himself and is prone to extreme exaggeration in the interests of presenting a spectacle.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #239 on: April 10, 2009, 07:07:04 pm »
I think a Lifetime (Lack of) Achievement Award has to go to Martin Tylers Monkey for taking biased, bitter, clueless commentary to a new level of bile.