Author Topic: Mingebags  (Read 256245 times)

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Mingebags
« Reply #2080 on: June 10, 2021, 10:31:04 am »
She probably used their free wifi to write the review ;D

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2081 on: June 10, 2021, 10:43:39 am »
A story of some mild mingebaggery from a few years back, I went on a holiday with my missus and two other couples. It was decided that we would split the bill for everything throughout the holiday just to make things easier. Even though my partner is vegetarian and I mostly am as well so our meals cost less and over the length of a week holiday it adds up.

One of the guys for the first couple of days was ordering things for the table and eating pricey things off the menu, which is fair enough as he earns more than the rest of us and he's probably used to this type of spending. However, one meal he gets a cheese pizza and kicks up a fuss that we shouldn't split the bill for that meal as he only got a simple pizza. It was pointed out that for the previous days he probably had the most the most expensive meals and we had agreed to split all the costs from the start. He begrudgingly accepted but then slunk off by himself and didn't hang out with the rest of us for the rest of the day.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2082 on: June 10, 2021, 10:57:39 am »
A story of some mild mingebaggery from a few years back, I went on a holiday with my missus and two other couples. It was decided that we would split the bill for everything throughout the holiday just to make things easier. Even though my partner is vegetarian and I mostly am as well so our meals cost less and over the length of a week holiday it adds up.

One of the guys for the first couple of days was ordering things for the table and eating pricey things off the menu, which is fair enough as he earns more than the rest of us and he's probably used to this type of spending. However, one meal he gets a cheese pizza and kicks up a fuss that we shouldn't split the bill for that meal as he only got a simple pizza. It was pointed out that for the previous days he probably had the most the most expensive meals and we had agreed to split all the costs from the start. He begrudgingly accepted but then slunk off by himself and didn't hang out with the rest of us for the rest of the day.

Result!

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #2083 on: June 10, 2021, 11:27:28 am »
Reminds me of a similar story. A friend of mine and I flew to Poland for Christmas/NY of 2015. Both of us were bachelors so we flew the cheapest airline, stayed in a decent 3* hotel and rented a cheap car. So for the major parts it was not an issue - the things that were paid for online that is.

We also had to go to cheap eateries for lunch and dinner. It wasnt an issue for both of us as we stayed off those touristic parts and instead got to try the local cuisine. Most times they didnt take cards. So it was cash and we had to convert Euros. But for that, we had to withdraw Euros first. I offered to handle this as I knew my bank had the lower conversion charge. 3 Euros in my bank vs 5 Euros in his. It was agreed. After 2 weeks, I had withdrawn about 6 times. And the conversion rate varied from 4.1 zloty to 4.5 zloty per euro.

When we came back, I told him that it makes sense to average the conversion and do the mathematics based on that. To my surprise, he said he disagreed. He wanted to know the exact spending that came out of these 6 withdrawals and do the conversion there on.

Withdrawal 1, I take out 100 Euros, and I get 410 zloty out of it. And use it in 3 days, then the calculations for these 3 days should have 4.1 as the conversion charge.
Withdrawal 2, I take out 100 Euros, and I get 430 zloty out of it. And use it in 4 days, then the calculations for these 4 days should have 4.3 as the conversion charge.
And so on..

I told him I dont know how that could've been done as I would still have 30 or 40 zloty from withdrawal 1 but I would go to the ATM to stock up. I suggested the average thinking as both of us stand to gain and lose at the same time. Like if I paid 4.1 and charge 4.3, then I gain 0.2 zloty per euro. But if I paid 4.5 and charge 4.3, then I lose 0.2 zloty per euro.

He said with a straight face and I quote him "Well you should've done that. Its now going to be difficult to do the conversion because of that. And I would lose money if the conversion is too low."

Needless to say, I never planned anymore trips with him after that.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2084 on: June 10, 2021, 12:21:12 pm »
ChaCha - nobhead behaviour by him.

Sounds like this lad is saving money (whether on fuel or a bus or whatever) and - even if it's a scenario in which you might not ask for a contribution - even just offering would be the correct gesture.  Especially if you don't know him/he's not your invitee to the footy.

---

Sort of reminds me of the situation with my housemate (which you responded to last year) - I already had a tv package including HD sports subscription long before he moved in, so told him not to bother with contributing to that as it's not like gas/leccy where the bill was set to increase with a 2nd person in the house.  What I didn't know was that he's a fan of a Premier League side (who's been able to watch pretty much every single game across the PL, Champions League, cups, etc...) and an avid follower of the cricket (international) & rugby (international, UK, and Australia).  Obviously there are times when it's not an issue at all, but it's extremely frustrating when he treats things like the football as 'a given' and expects me to make way (if I've got the tv on passively) and/or stop whatever else I might be doing (listening to a record, playing guitar, etc).  Much less an issue if he flagged it up a few hours/a day in advance, and even just the gesture of - say - a 4-pack of beers every now & again as a bit of a ('nice one for the 7 footy matches, all the Six Nations, and the cricket this month') wouldn't go amiss.

Not sure if that's me being tight, though.  Doesn't feel like mingebaggery - perhaps just freeloading to an extent.
Nah not on in my book - he's getting like £50 - £60 worth of entertainment he'd otherwise have to pay for, for free. What would he do if you suddenly decided you didn't want those Sky packages? Pay for them or lose the entertainment. I think it's very fair what you've asked for - only bill shares where he exponentially increases the cost - but he should either be offering to pay some towards the Sky given the way he deems his sports to have more value than whatever entertainment you're consuming (which I get, because in my house when certain football matches are on, that supersedes all else but it's my house and my Girlfriend understands and I give her a heads up so she records whatever she wants), or giving you something to show the appreciation.

Some beers, a bottle of wine, maybe the odd takeaway. I'm sure all would be appreciated, seen as a nice gesture and I think that most with common courtesy would do so. It sounds like he pretty gleefully accepts all the entertainment he gets from the arrangement so he should show appreciation in kind. If it were me and you weren't splitting the bill, I'd be buying you a takeaway and a few beers once a month or something.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2085 on: June 10, 2021, 12:31:46 pm »
ChaCha - nobhead behaviour by him.
Nah not on in my book - he's getting like £50 - £60 worth of entertainment he'd otherwise have to pay for, for free. What would he do if you suddenly decided you didn't want those Sky packages? Pay for them or lose the entertainment. I think it's very fair what you've asked for - only bill shares where he exponentially increases the cost - but he should either be offering to pay some towards the Sky given the way he deems his sports to have more value than whatever entertainment you're consuming (which I get, because in my house when certain football matches are on, that supersedes all else but it's my house and my Girlfriend understands and I give her a heads up so she records whatever she wants), or giving you something to show the appreciation.

Some beers, a bottle of wine, maybe the odd takeaway. I'm sure all would be appreciated, seen as a nice gesture and I think that most with common courtesy would do so. It sounds like he pretty gleefully accepts all the entertainment he gets from the arrangement so he should show appreciation in kind. If it were me and you weren't splitting the bill, I'd be buying you a takeaway and a few beers once a month or something.

See the linked post for more context ;D  He gets in on my take-away order from the local pizza parlour every few weekends too, so it'd be dead easy for him to do without even needing it to be any more than a "by the way, I've covered yours this time...".

For the first few months I was here, I'd offer him a beer if I had say 6 in and was having a few or whatever.  Realised after a while that this was never being reciprocated, so I stopped.  Remember asking him - around the same time, after a hot run - if he'd mind me pinching one of his cans of Coke from the fridge (he buys a pack of six each week), which he said was sound.  Later that day/next day, I asked if he needed anything picking up when I was popping to the shop - I'd have replaced his can anyway, to be honest, but I didn't particularly appreciate being reminded in advance.

Totted up my spending on 'household items' after my earlier post, and it was at about £230 between September & April.  Off the top of my head, I reckon he's spent about £15-20.  I always tend to buy things routinely so I've got in what's needed, whereas he'll just by the single item as & when it runs out.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2086 on: June 10, 2021, 12:54:20 pm »
One of my mates is a massive mingebag, not really a close mate so it is what it is. Every time we go out for a meal he's always bragging how he's going to order the best thing on the menu, that we'll go for desserts after and whatnot. Then when we actually go out he'll order the most basic thing on the menu and will even skip the drink, sometimes asking the others for a sip.

The other day I put on my snapchat that I was doing a bbq and he messaged me saying instead of going out to eat let's do a bbq at mine. I'm guessing it's because he wants me to provide all the food and drinks and he gets a free meal out of it. He's proudly boasted before all of us how he doesn't let a penny go to waste. I guess being a mingebag works for him, guy goes on atleast three luxury holidays per year, places like Fiji, Mexico, Maldives etc.

EDIT - Oh forgot to add that sometimes he used to order me things on Ebay back when I didn't have an account. If something cost £5.01 he would want the 1p as well. Sometimes he would let it go but then he'd make a big deal out of letting me off a penny.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 01:07:19 pm by I've been a good boy. »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2087 on: June 10, 2021, 01:46:44 pm »
This is one of those where it's not really being a mingebag but a massive c*nt

My mum's friend is having her garden done. She offered these Indian stone slabs to her neighbour so she could make a little patio and that for her grandkids... Neighbour has then sold them for near £200. And then when my mum's friend has kicked off about it the neighbour has offered her £40 of it :lmao

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2088 on: June 10, 2021, 01:47:57 pm »
Yeah that is cunty behaviour.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2089 on: June 18, 2021, 11:51:08 pm »
Reminds me of a similar story. A friend of mine and I flew to Poland for Christmas/NY of 2015. Both of us were bachelors so we flew the cheapest airline, stayed in a decent 3* hotel and rented a cheap car. So for the major parts it was not an issue - the things that were paid for online that is.

We also had to go to cheap eateries for lunch and dinner. It wasnt an issue for both of us as we stayed off those touristic parts and instead got to try the local cuisine. Most times they didnt take cards. So it was cash and we had to convert Euros. But for that, we had to withdraw Euros first. I offered to handle this as I knew my bank had the lower conversion charge. 3 Euros in my bank vs 5 Euros in his. It was agreed. After 2 weeks, I had withdrawn about 6 times. And the conversion rate varied from 4.1 zloty to 4.5 zloty per euro.

When we came back, I told him that it makes sense to average the conversion and do the mathematics based on that. To my surprise, he said he disagreed. He wanted to know the exact spending that came out of these 6 withdrawals and do the conversion there on.

Withdrawal 1, I take out 100 Euros, and I get 410 zloty out of it. And use it in 3 days, then the calculations for these 3 days should have 4.1 as the conversion charge.
Withdrawal 2, I take out 100 Euros, and I get 430 zloty out of it. And use it in 4 days, then the calculations for these 4 days should have 4.3 as the conversion charge.
And so on..

I told him I dont know how that could've been done as I would still have 30 or 40 zloty from withdrawal 1 but I would go to the ATM to stock up. I suggested the average thinking as both of us stand to gain and lose at the same time. Like if I paid 4.1 and charge 4.3, then I gain 0.2 zloty per euro. But if I paid 4.5 and charge 4.3, then I lose 0.2 zloty per euro.

He said with a straight face and I quote him "Well you should've done that. Its now going to be difficult to do the conversion because of that. And I would lose money if the conversion is too low."

Needless to say, I never planned anymore trips with him after that.
I went to Poland just before the virus took hold and stuff like food and beer was unbelievably cheap.
I think I bought the pub a round when we scored against wolves, not actually sure as I was hammered at that point. It wasnt exactly busy in there.

--edit-- agree. Your companion is a mingebag as he would have paid more from his bank, regardless of the rate you charged.
Ps. I think there is a whole branch of inventory accounting dedicated to that hell of variable rates....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 11:54:07 pm by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2090 on: July 11, 2021, 04:59:28 pm »
I had a spell of going to town with five lads I worked with about twenty years ago , The Mingebag was up to all the usual tricks of always getting the last round first time around unless we went into a cheap bar at the next to last first set of rounds.
We even started having a kitty so he had to pay his way and on the Monday he said to me once, " That was a dear night on Saturday.
His Greatest Mingebag moment came when he came out with no money and said his card had failed because it had " Ran out that night..

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2091 on: July 11, 2021, 11:30:16 pm »
I had a spell of going to town with five lads I worked with about twenty years ago , The Mingebag was up to all the usual tricks of always getting the last round first time around unless we went into a cheap bar at the next to last first set of rounds.
We even started having a kitty so he had to pay his way and on the Monday he said to me once, " That was a dear night on Saturday.
His Greatest Mingebag moment came when he came out with no money and said his card had failed because it had " Ran out that night..

Sounds me like a right head worker. I thought a mingebag was more of a penny pincher - reusing teabags etc.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2092 on: August 25, 2021, 11:51:06 am »
The day before our work went to WFH, one of my colleagues borrowed a spare mouse that was in my work laptop bag as theirs had just broken and we had no extras on-site.

Fast forward 18 months plus, my work mouse is trashed. The rubber came off the wheel the day before I went back in so it's pretty much useless. It also turns out the mouse my colleague borrowed is also broken. When I went back into the office, IT had left one new mouse on everyone's desk. Great. But because I didn't want a repeat situation, I asked our IT service department for a basic, no-frills replacement for the back-up one that had been in my company issued bag.

I get told "Sorry, no can do," because apparently it's against company policy to have more than one working mouse. Their argument is it falls under the category of additional equipment because it would likely be used at home, rather the office, so it should be bought at the employee's expense. Yes, even though they've just given everyone a new mouse, meaning some people *gasp* will now have two if their old one is still intact. And yet, if it were to break in the office, we do not keep any spares on-site, so I'd have order one through IT, or go into a local office supply shop.

I ended up just buying a replacement. The mouse in question costs less than a tenner on Amazon and under £7 in the office supply catalogue that we keep on site, but can no longer order IT equipment out of. It's even more laughable considering some of the superfluous, expensive shit they waste money on that has nowt to do with the daily course of business. The joke is if I were to ask the health and safety group for a more expensive ergonomic one, I'd almost certainly get one.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2093 on: August 25, 2021, 12:18:46 pm »
that is ridiculous alright. Have seen it before

We were on some course just over 10 years ago, it was an all dayer with food to be provided. The plan was we would have a carvery paid for us in some pub across the road, however we were then told as it was a recession etc we needed to cut back so instead sandwich platters and wraps and tea and coffee were given. I think it saved about a euro a head possibly across about 30-40 people. Seemed a little silly, even more so when the person who decided this had just sanctioned a 2000 euro makeover for their own office even though they were only going to work there about 2 years.

Saving 30 euro or so with one hand to waste 2 grand with the other.

Like rafa the gaffa above I hated when money was saved one way by ridiculous penny pinching only for a big splurge to go on other things that wasnt urgent. All through the recession all we heard was ways of cutting our pay then all of a sudden the whole new office would get new fancy phones that werent needed probably costing up to 200 quid each
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2094 on: August 25, 2021, 12:22:18 pm »
Report the new mouse as broken ;)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2095 on: August 25, 2021, 12:58:28 pm »
You can almost guarantee the IT department has a huge box of mice in their store they will have accumulated over time.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2096 on: August 25, 2021, 01:36:41 pm »

We were on some course just over 10 years ago, it was an all dayer with food to be provided.

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2097 on: August 25, 2021, 01:42:26 pm »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2098 on: September 3, 2021, 03:17:06 pm »
I booked to go to London with the lads on 23/24 September coming up and we booked the train tickets ages ago (£92). Initially there was going to be 5 of us but 2 dropped out early on so there is only 3 of us now. I ended up paying for the hotel on bank holiday Monday so the total cost came up to £220. I woke up Tuesday morning and my girlfriend asked what the dates are I am going to London again and I told her and she hit me with "It is our 10 year anniversary on the 24th!".

As my head was choka because I couldn't believe I forgot the date, I initially panicked and said the 1 of the 2 lads that dropped out earlier on can take my place. My mate I said this to took this as taking my place for free and told him everything is paid for! The lad was made up apparently and happily accepted until I stepped in and said no I want £150 for my place or I will just go instead. He said no straight away that was it. The day after he then messaged my mate and said can he buy my place for £100 so after speaking to my girlfriend and thinking on it I messaged back the morning after saying yeah go on then to save my headache. A couple of hours later I get a message saying "No he doesn't want it now so looks like your coming." I said yeah fuck it not worth losing the £220 and giving it for free to some lad I'm not even good mates with.

2 nights in London and a train there and back for £100 is a bargain.

What a fucking tight twat.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2099 on: September 3, 2021, 03:53:36 pm »
Might save you a lot of money in the long run not having to buy Christmas, birthday and further anniversary present's for your girlfriends mate ;)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2100 on: September 3, 2021, 07:15:33 pm »
Might save you a lot of money in the long run not having to buy Christmas, birthday and further anniversary present's for your girlfriends mate ;)

;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2101 on: September 3, 2021, 10:23:57 pm »
;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2102 on: September 6, 2021, 04:12:30 pm »

just wants it for nothing

miserable bastard is right

stags i was on over the years the odd time we did stuff to break up drinking

clay pigeon shooting, karting, football match etc etc

on a few stags one lad didnt bother with it, always whinging about money and the cost of everything

only activity he ever did was when one lad had a violent hangover and took his place because it was then free (he certainly isnt the type to offer to pay)

he didnt bother with either my stag or wedding, next time  i saw him he harped on about money saying i shouldnt expect people to fork out. reminded him of every stag i was on and in middle of calling him every name under the sun i remember him saying about the cost of my stag and wedding
"people have to shell out money , can you blame them"

me "grand, next time I get married ill just have a stag on my own and invite no one to the wedding, in fact lets never do anything ever again seen as everything costs money"

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2103 on: September 7, 2021, 09:19:12 am »
Fucking shocking isn't it Paul, tight miserable bastards won't part with any money.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2104 on: September 7, 2021, 09:26:21 am »
I could write a book on this fella, we were at some beer festival years ago, he showed up near the end of the night, rang a lad asking him to get one of us to cut off our wristband and give it to him so he didnt have to pay in. he got told to fuck off

He is engaged and I am sure he will find out what it is like in return

If he has it abroad I certainly wont be going, be skipping at least one of the stag or wedding

I remember saying to him after mine
"you didnt even have the courtesy to post back the invite, knowing you it was probably because you were too mean to buy a stamp"
 :lmao

« Last Edit: September 7, 2021, 09:30:04 am by paulrazor »

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2105 on: July 16, 2022, 09:09:20 pm »
Just saw this corker on Facefuck:

"Hi is there any 1 who is musical/in a band who wants to get a good opportunity? Were having a wedding party and looking for people to do the music for the night. We’ve been quoted silly money from the bands we’ve rang-they are making so much money from just playing a few songs it’s disgusting this is hard times for us all and we can’t afford much It will be a good opportunity for a band or singer to perform and get themselves seen and make some free publicity. There will be food and drink for you for free and Even muse did free gigs before they was famous. I bet local bands would get some where if they was willing to do a few gigs for free. So if your a proper musician who actually loves music then please get in touch. Serious people only please No negative comments like you always see on spitted"
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2106 on: July 16, 2022, 09:21:10 pm »
Anyone asking trained musicians or entertainers to play for free ‘for exposure’ are twats.

‘Just a few songs’ is like saying ‘just a few days’ for Van Gogh to paint Starry Night - countless hours of practice, years of experience and craft have gone into a band being able to play multiple covers to a high proficiency and they deserve to be paid for it.

A good band should realistically be quite expensive. They have equipment and transit costs, on top of the labour leaving aside that they have a skill that needs to be paid for.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2107 on: July 17, 2022, 06:57:31 pm »
I saw a post on facebook recently from a plasterer. He screen shot a conversation he had with a potential client, they wanted him to deduct the cost of the water and electric he would have used to mix his plaster from the quote he gave them, also they were not going to give him a deposit as plaster was quite cheap and he would only be paid when the job was done.

Needless to say to told them where to go.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2108 on: July 18, 2022, 08:59:48 am »
I saw a post on facebook recently from a plasterer. He screen shot a conversation he had with a potential client, they wanted him to deduct the cost of the water and electric he would have used to mix his plaster from the quote he gave them, also they were not going to give him a deposit as plaster was quite cheap and he would only be paid when the job was done.

Needless to say to told them where to go.
I would be reluctant to pay a deposit to a tradesman like that as you hear so many stories of them legging it

but asking for water and leccy to be knocked off the bill, yeah fuck off

"Hi is there any 1 who is musical/in a band who wants to get a good opportunity? Were having a wedding party and looking for people to do the music for the night. We’ve been quoted silly money from the bands we’ve rang-they are making so much money from just playing a few songs it’s disgusting this is hard times for us all and we can’t afford much It will be a good opportunity for a band or singer to perform and get themselves seen and make some free publicity. There will be food and drink for you for free and Even muse did free gigs before they was famous. I bet local bands would get some where if they was willing to do a few gigs for free. So if your a proper musician who actually loves music then please get in touch. Serious people only please No negative comments like you always see on spitted"
They will be asking for suits, dresses and cakes for free next

You need to be budgeting over 1k for a band/dj

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2109 on: July 18, 2022, 09:18:31 am »
One of the directors in our work goes up the cafeteria and gets free breakfast, lunch, and the best part, gets a tray of food for his tea to take home before he leaves.

The best part is we all have to pay so you're in a queue and he's in front just picking what he wants for his breakfast, then you're behind him being charged £2.50 for a sausage buttie.

Bloke must be on £120,000 a year, I don't know how he doesn't feel an absolute c*nt to be honest.

This is not the owner of the business or anything either, its just a general director. Winds me up everytime I pay for food when I see him

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2110 on: July 18, 2022, 09:23:06 am »

That is just all kinds of wrong.

Cheeky fucker.  Trying to make out THEY are doing local bands a favour.

Back in the day, I'm sure Muse couldn't resist the pull of a plateful of mushroom Vol-au-vents and some cheese and pineapple on sticks, all washed down with a glass of Blue Nun.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2111 on: July 18, 2022, 11:11:15 am »

"Hi is there any 1 who is musical/in a band who wants to get a good opportunity? Were having a wedding party and looking for people to do the music for the night. We’ve been quoted silly money from the bands we’ve rang-they are making so much money from just playing a few songs it’s disgusting this is hard times for us all and we can’t afford much It will be a good opportunity for a band or singer to perform and get themselves seen and make some free publicity. There will be food and drink for you for free and Even muse] did free gigs before they was famous. I bet local bands would get some where if they was willing to do a few gigs for free. So if your a proper musician who actually loves music then please get in touch. Serious people only please No negative comments like you always see on spitted"

Had to laugh at this bit in particular. Talk about setting realistic expectations ;D

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2112 on: July 18, 2022, 11:42:58 am »

I'd consider this

Lately I'm just chaining delay pedals together to create sustained, spooky textures. No drums, no lyrics. Just wild guitar sounds. Me dragging a screwdriver up and down the strings, plucking them for thumps that reverberate and echo and build upon the echo and loop that and stretch it out. Tones with no beginning nor end.

They can "enjoy" that for that price.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2113 on: July 18, 2022, 12:49:45 pm »
Had to laugh at this bit in particular. Talk about setting realistic expectations ;D

:)

Sick of grinding your way to success in the music industry to even pay your bills or fill your van up with diesel?

Why not fast-track your way to super stardom. Come play for Free at Dave and Karen's wedding.  Arse end of the world village hall, shitesville.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2114 on: July 18, 2022, 01:41:23 pm »
Serious people only please No negative comments like you always see on spitted"

Surely this is the best bit. They KNOW they are taking the piss.
No idea what spitted is mind.  They deserve all the negative comments they can get.

A band should offer to do the gig for free. Say they are desperate for the gig, they've been trying to make a breakthrough via the wedding circuit and all the other bands have beaten them to it, so they'll bring the cake and booze.
Then obviously not show up.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2115 on: July 18, 2022, 02:14:25 pm »
Surely this is the best bit. They KNOW they are taking the piss.
No idea what spitted is mind.  They deserve all the negative comments they can get.

A band should offer to do the gig for free. Say they are desperate for the gig, they've been trying to make a breakthrough via the wedding circuit and all the other bands have beaten them to it, so they'll bring the cake and booze.
Then obviously not show up.

Mate of mine used to be in a band, I'd have loved them to have done this, as they were fucking shite, the bride would be crying at the sound of badly played Metal :lmao

Wonder if Napalm Death have some free time......

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #2116 on: July 20, 2022, 05:04:53 pm »
Anyone asking trained musicians or entertainers to play for free ‘for exposure’ are twats.

‘Just a few songs’ is like saying ‘just a few days’ for Van Gogh to paint Starry Night - countless hours of practice, years of experience and craft have gone into a band being able to play multiple covers to a high proficiency and they deserve to be paid for it.

A good band should realistically be quite expensive. They have equipment and transit costs, on top of the labour leaving aside that they have a skill that needs to be paid for.

Absolutely this.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2117 on: July 20, 2022, 08:17:59 pm »
Here’s on for you that split opinions at the office, which baffled me.

The team at work had done great work on a recent project that’s earned the company a pretty penny and some great opportunities off the back of it - so I requested to take all involved out for a thank you meal, to which the directors agreed a paid meal and a few drinks (but to remind people it’s a work event and not take the piss).

Went to an Indian in town, was very decent, with it being a work night most had a couple then got picked up, one or two did have a few more but no one went silly on the drink. However, at the end of the evening when I was checking the bill before paying (the restaurant has previous for making mistakes shall we say with the drinks on a large party’s bill) I noticed there were two curries on there we hadn’t had. I queried it and the bloke pointed to one of our party. I asked him about it and he’d ordered two takeaway curries on the tab in order to take food for his missus and teenage lad. I couldn’t believe the cheek to be honest. I had them taken off and him pay for them. He argued that it was being paid for by the company anyway so he didn’t see the big deal.

A few days later he’s still banging on about it being unfair and there’s a few who apparently agree with him. I personally think that when the company has done something actually nice for people that they didn’t have to, outside of the usual structured parties that it’s mingebag behaviour to try and sneak a couple of meals on the bill to take home to your family. This bloke is very well paid and can definitely afford tea, so this is not poverty induced.

Thoughts?

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #2118 on: July 20, 2022, 08:24:02 pm »
Here’s on for you that split opinions at the office, which baffled me.

The team at work had done great work on a recent project that’s earned the company a pretty penny and some great opportunities off the back of it - so I requested to take all involved out for a thank you meal, to which the directors agreed a paid meal and a few drinks (but to remind people it’s a work event and not take the piss).

Went to an Indian in town, was very decent, with it being a work night most had a couple then got picked up, one or two did have a few more but no one went silly on the drink. However, at the end of the evening when I was checking the bill before paying (the restaurant has previous for making mistakes shall we say with the drinks on a large party’s bill) I noticed there were two curries on there we hadn’t had. I queried it and the bloke pointed to one of our party. I asked him about it and he’d ordered two takeaway curries on the tab in order to take food for his missus and teenage lad. I couldn’t believe the cheek to be honest. I had them taken off and him pay for them. He argued that it was being paid for by the company anyway so he didn’t see the big deal.

A few days later he’s still banging on about it being unfair and there’s a few who apparently agree with him. I personally think that when the company has done something actually nice for people that they didn’t have to, outside of the usual structured parties that it’s mingebag behaviour to try and sneak a couple of meals on the bill to take home to your family. This bloke is very well paid and can definitely afford tea, so this is not poverty induced.

Thoughts?
You were definitely in the right to pull him up on it. If he was taking home scraps from his curry in a doggy bag then fair enough but ordering two curries and making your company pay for it is taking the piss and then some.

What did your colleagues think?
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2119 on: July 20, 2022, 08:28:30 pm »
Na he's a proper mingebag. Alright if it's a buffet or something and the food has already been ordered and paid for and would be fucked out if not used, but not like that.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT