Author Topic: Hull City 1 - Liverpool 0  (Read 153563 times)

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hull City 1 - Liverpool 0
« Reply #1200 on: April 29, 2015, 09:50:32 am »
I remember when everyone wanted Rafa sacked in 2010, I always wanted him to get another season to learn from the mistakes, i believe the same with Rodgers. However if it goes wrong next year then i'll certainly lose faith, he has to get it right next year.

I do not recall that at the time. My recollection was that most people wanted Benitez to be retained and were shocked and outraged when the club sacked him. There was even a gathering in his support at the time. Benitez was kicked out by Purslow and the then owners after he had been a thorn in their sides. Benitez had been starved of moneys to boost his team. Yes, he made some mistakes as with all managers but the poor results that season was more due to the context he and the club were in at the time.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1201 on: April 29, 2015, 09:53:13 am »
Clearly the transfer strategy is a shambles.

But I don't think it is due to a "refusal to invest in world class players". We went after Sanchez; he turned us down.  James Rodriguez, etc were not interested in LFC.

Whether offering more money would do the trick, or offering a manager with more pedigree - I don't know.

One thing is sure, hard questions should be asked of everyone - the playing/coaching staff, and the owners.

There were never any rumours at all that we ever tried to inquire after James Rodriguez. As for Sanchez, the chase seemed half hearted as if the owners were glad that he had a preference for London.  They did not mount a full force charm offensive to bring him in. It was notable that Wenger met Sanches personally to persuade him while Rodgers went on holiday.

Instead the subsequent choice of Remy and then Balotelli spoke volumes of the kind of money the owners were willing to spend. Don't get taken in by FSG - they tried to do it on the cheap this season.

I can onyl hope that they have learned their lesson and will amend their strategy accordingly. Otherwise prepare for a future a la Aston Villa.

Online justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1202 on: April 29, 2015, 09:53:48 am »
That Everton back 4 stat made me laugh properly. Then I cried a little. Now I'm curled up in a ball rocking back and forth. Jesus.

Online plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1203 on: April 29, 2015, 09:54:34 am »
There were never any rumours at all that we ever tried to inquire after James Rodriguez. As for Sanchez, the chase seemed half hearted as if the owners were glad that he had a preference for London.  They did not mount a full force charm offensive to bring him in. It was notable that Wenger met Sanches personally to persuade him while Rodgers went on holiday.

Instead the subsequent choice of Remy and then Balotelli spoke volumes of the kind of money the owners were willing to spend.

And what about £25m on Lallana?

Offline jfc

• Kopite
« Reply #1204 on: April 29, 2015, 09:54:37 am »
I do not recall that at the time. My recollection was that most people wanted Benitez to be retained and were shocked and outraged when the club sacked him. There was even a gathering in his support at the time. Benitez was kicked out by Purslow and the then owners after he had been a thorn in their sides. Benitez had been starved of moneys to boost his team. Yes, he made some mistakes as with all managers but the poor results that season was more due to the context he and the club were in at the time.

Fair enough, I do remember some saying he should stay but from what i read and saw plenty also wanted him gone, citing a new change and him having lost the dressing room.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #1205 on: April 29, 2015, 09:55:12 am »

If Rafa was given the money Brendan and Kenny had we'd probably of won the league by now

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: April 29, 2015, 09:56:59 am »
And what about £25m on Lallana?

Granted. And there is Lovren as well at 20M.

But the money should have been more importantly spent on a centreforward replacement for Suarez. Stinging there is - and has been - fatal.

Online naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1207 on: April 29, 2015, 09:58:56 am »
If Rafa was given the money Brendan and Kenny had we'd probably of won the league by now
and we wouldn't have had  a front two of lambert and balotelli

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1208 on: April 29, 2015, 10:00:15 am »
The gist of it for me is that I still believe in this squad, when I say that i'm talking about the core players such as Coutinho, Sturridge, Henderson, Sterling, Skrtel, Sakho.
I agree. If you look at our decent performing players to me they fit naturally into some sort of a 4231. We have good and promising defensive minded midfielders - 2 from Can, Lucas and Allen. We have good and promising forward minded midfielders - 3 from Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Henderson, Markovic, Ibe.
So whats stopping us playing like that ? Our defence, which is woeful. Too porous to play a back 4 means we have to play 3 central defenders, which stunts our forward play - and which has been found out by tactical geniuses like Sherwood to boot.
Solution ? A damn good right sided central defender alongside Sakho and a reliable keeper. Just that will transform this team completely imo.
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1209 on: April 29, 2015, 10:02:18 am »
 :(

I'm off to the Suarez thread for a cry wank.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1210 on: April 29, 2015, 10:05:54 am »

Instead the subsequent choice of Remy and then Balotelli spoke volumes of the kind of money the owners were willing to spend. Don't get taken in by FSG - they tried to do it on the cheap this season.

I can onyl hope that they have learned their lesson and will amend their strategy accordingly. Otherwise prepare for a future a la Aston Villa.

We never inquired because he made it clear early on he was only interested in Real Madrid. That is going to be the case with most established world-class talent.

And on top of that, while a rival manager spent the summer in Brazil wooing the player our manager reportedly wanted above all others, and probably had a chance of getting (unlike Rodriguez), our manager goes on vacation.  Says it all.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #1211 on: April 29, 2015, 10:07:07 am »
We look a team devoid of confidence and energy and ideas. Last season teams feared us and this season teams don't. Everyone says we have been found out but whilst there may be some truth in that I think its not the only reason.

We start so slowly now that it gives the other side the impetus. Instead of been in the other teams face, pressing and trying to win the ball back we stand off and pass sideways when we have it. The first 20 minutes would be a period when opposing teams would want to stay in the game with us. Now the first 20 minutes is normally us fending off the other team. We look slow and jaded. Far too often we look like a team of individuals rather than a team that can pass it through teams. Sideways and backwards is the liverpool way. Hull played it out of defence better than us at times yesterday and probably should have made it 2-0 on the break. Apart for Spurs away the only game we have played quick passing football was chelsea (1st semi final) and Man City.  When we know a team will probably sit back we play slow and ponderous football and give them confidence.

Individually there are lots of questions. Sterling looks scared (or is not bothered) to take his man on the outside so cuts in. Same with lallana. Glen johnson actually did it more than sterling yesterday. I wanted Ballotelli to work for us last summer but watching him (and the stats that go with it) are just not good enough. Apart from Coutinho and Can (joe allen wasn't too bad either) everyone else seemed to give up. There was no real invention and its the same old same old every game.

I think Brendan deserves another year. My concerns are the players we look to buy and offload this summer. There is no doubt that having say Klopp come to Liverpool would be attractive to better players even if we have no CL. I would say the same for Rafa as well.

Without CL who would realistically come? We can demand big name players as fans but do they really want to come and play for us if we are up against any of the big CL sides chasing the same player? My fear is that we won't get a look in for the players we really need or want.

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #1212 on: April 29, 2015, 10:08:03 am »
What troubles me is the frequency in which we are playing players out of position.

Last summer, Rodgers (and the "committee") were given the ability to overhaul the squad in a massive way.  The Suarez money allowed Rodgers to add the depth to his squad that he had bemoaned was lacking.  We presided over a number of transfers, and this season should have seen us in far better shape to cope with the demands of European football as well as have a good run at the Premier League again.

And yet, as an example, last night, we finished the game with central midfielder playing at centre back, a right back at left-back and a winger at right back.
We have started many games this without a recognised striker on the pitch but 2-3 on the bench!

How have we got in to this situation that we have supposedly strategically overhauled the squad, added the depth that Rodgers was clear to point out we were lacking, and yet we are pushing square pegs in to round holes in every single game.

Sometimes I think Rodgers simply over-complicates things by changing things too much, and it seems we end up with players all over the place.
This summer, he (and yes, I do think he will and should still be here) has to work out what he needs, and where he needs it.
We can't be expected to challenge when we are continuously playing players out of position, and we end up with the situation we did last night of having 3 players playing out of position in defence.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #1213 on: April 29, 2015, 10:09:06 am »
That Everton back 4 stat made me laugh properly. Then I cried a little. Now I'm curled up in a ball rocking back and forth. Jesus.
Sturridge with 4 (12 games, 750 minutes, approx average of a goal every 2 games - 187 min). Borini, Balotelli and Lambert got the other 4, ( games, 1972 minutes, approx average of a goal every 5 1/2 games- 493 mins). 

Of those minutes, Balotelli got the most time (940 minutes, 1 goal) and Borini got the least (392 minutes, 1 goal). Lambert got 620 minutes and 2 goals, making him marginally our most effective striker after Sturridge.

You can complain all you like about the purchase of Balotelli, but when Borini gets so few chances, as well as Lambert, the manager needs to do some explaining.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline jfc

• Kopite
« Reply #1214 on: April 29, 2015, 10:09:47 am »
I agree. If you look at our decent performing players to me they fit naturally into some sort of a 4231. We have good and promising defensive minded midfielders - 2 from Can, Lucas and Allen. We have good and promising forward minded midfielders - 3 from Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Henderson, Markovic, Ibe.
So whats stopping us playing like that ? Our defence, which is woeful. Too porous to play a back 4 means we have to play 3 central defenders, which stunts our forward play - and which has been found out by tactical geniuses like Sherwood to boot.
Solution ? A damn good right sided central defender alongside Sakho and a reliable keeper. Just that will transform this team completely imo.

Agreed.  if we get it right we'll be up there. I look back to that window when we got Sturridge and Coutinho and that was what set us up to be title challengers the following season. It can be done were not as far behind as some seem to think.

This isn't a squad where the core of it needs to be totally broken apart, getting the signings right is imperative this time round.

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #1215 on: April 29, 2015, 10:13:33 am »

I agree but let's not cry over spilt milk. We have to stop this revolving door managing policy and stand by Rodgers one more season. He can fix this mess.

Rafa is apparently off limits with Ayre here, Klopp will probably go to a CL level club. King Kenny for a third time? don't think so. Who else is there realistically? seems like a gamble to waste a few more seasons away in decadence.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1216 on: April 29, 2015, 10:14:39 am »
We look a team devoid of confidence and energy and ideas. Last season teams feared us and this season teams don't. Everyone says we have been found out but whilst there may be some truth in that I think its not the only reason.

We start so slowly now that it gives the other side the impetus. Instead of been in the other teams face, pressing and trying to win the ball back we stand off and pass sideways when we have it. The first 20 minutes would be a period when
 opposing teams would want to stay in the game with us. Now the first 20 minutes is normally us fending off the other team. We look slow and jaded. Far too often we look like a team of individuals rather than a team that can pass it through teams. Sideways and backwards is the liverpool way. Hull played it out of defence better than us at times yesterday and probably should have made it 2-0 on the break. Apart for Spurs away the
 only game we have played quick passing football was chelsea (1st semi final) and Man City.  When we know a team will probably sit back we play slow and ponderous football and give them confidence.

Individually there are lots of questions. Sterling looks scared (or is not bothered) to take his man on the outside
 so cuts in. Same with lallana. Glen johnson actually did it more than sterling yesterday. I wanted Ballotelli to work for us last summer but watching him (and the stats that go with it) are just not good enough. Apart from Coutinho and Can (joe allen wasn't too bad either) everyone else seemed to give up. There was no real invention and its the same old same old every game.

I think Brendan deserves another year. My concerns are the players we look to buy and offload this summer. There is no doubt that having say Klopp come to Liverpool would be attractive to better players even if we have no CL. I would say the same for Rafa as well.

Without CL who would realistically come? We can demand big name players as fans but do they really want to come and play for us if we are up against any of the big CL sides chasing the same player? My fear is that we won't get a look in for the players we really need or want.

So wouldn't it make sense getting Klopp then?

Why does Rodgers deserve another year?

I remember when Southampton sacked Atkin and everyone was moaning etc. Look where Southampton are now.

look at how many managers Chelsea have been through.

If Klopp is available and better than Rodgers then we would be foolish not to go for him now.

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
« Reply #1217 on: April 29, 2015, 10:16:27 am »
One thing that gets me...after last season, where we over performed by miles and even BR said that we were "...ahead of schedule...", it was clear that our defence was not up to scratch. It was openly discussed at the time that we needed to improve that part of our game and we haven't. Do we have a dedicated defensive coach? If we do, the owners should be start there if they're taking names.

To my mind, there was some baffling stuff going on early doors, when Lucas couldn't get a game for love nor money (he always seems to have spells of injury as well). If BR doesn't rate him why wasn't a good holding mid on the shopping list? That way we could have protected our CD's better and the defensive unit would been more effective.

Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1218 on: April 29, 2015, 10:17:18 am »

Maybe, but let's not go there. Rafa had his struggles. Rodgers has his. Each manager will face different challenges.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #1219 on: April 29, 2015, 10:18:02 am »
Nothing personal, but can we please stop talking about Adam every time we comment something Fordy says? Imagine it was you (that is you, reading this) who had to respond to that all the time. It's not helpful. It's been years now.
It was in response to Fordy asking me if my reasoning behind thinking Rodgers should get another season born out of feeling sorry for him. I explained my reasons then asked Fordy if his reasons for his constant backing of Charlie Adam was born out of feeling sorry.

So no mate, if Fordy wants to take a cheap dig at me then I will respond in kind.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1220 on: April 29, 2015, 10:19:03 am »

We start so slowly now that it gives the other side the impetus. Instead of been in the other teams face, pressing and trying to win the ball back we stand off and pass sideways when we have it. The first 20 minutes would be a period when opposing teams would want to stay in the game with us. Now the first 20 minutes is normally us fending off the other team. We look slow and jaded. Far too often we look like a team of individuals rather than a team that can pass it through teams. Sideways and backwards is the liverpool way. Hull played it out of defence better than us at times yesterday and probably should have made it 2-0 on the break. Apart for Spurs away the only game we have played quick passing football was chelsea (1st semi final) and Man City.  When we know a team will probably sit back we play slow and ponderous football and give them confidence.

Individually there are lots of questions. Sterling looks scared (or is not bothered) to take his man on the outside so cuts in. Same with lallana. Glen johnson actually did it more than sterling yesterday. I wanted Ballotelli to work for us last summer but watching him (and the stats that go with it) are just not good enough. Apart from Coutinho and Can (joe allen wasn't too bad either) everyone else seemed to give up. There was no real invention and its the same old same old every game.

Napoli under fBenitez has cionsistently achieved table resutls in Serie A that are better than their spending warrants relative to the other teams...

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1221 on: April 29, 2015, 10:19:37 am »
This isn't about Suarez at all. If a competent man (manager, DoF, CEO whatever) was given the £300 million odd that we 've spent in 4.5 years, we'd be challenging for the title every season. Its in fact quite an achievement in itself to be spending so much in transfer fees every year and still have only 1 top 4 finish and 1 league cup to show for it in 5 years.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1222 on: April 29, 2015, 10:22:17 am »
Remember that show Lost?

That about sums up the club and fanbase right now

Summer can't come soon enough, need to regroup and rethink
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1223 on: April 29, 2015, 10:23:01 am »
I agree but let's not cry over spilt milk. We have to stop this revolving door managing policy and stand by Rodgers one more season. He can fix this mess.

Rafa is apparently off limits with Ayre here, Klopp will probably go to a CL level club. King Kenny for a third time? don't think so. Who else is there realistically? seems like a gamble to waste a few more seasons away in decadence.

Rodgers has been here for three seasons, not one.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1224 on: April 29, 2015, 10:25:21 am »
To my mind, there was some baffling stuff going on early doors, when Lucas couldn't get a game for love nor money (he always seems to have spells of injury as well). If BR doesn't rate him why wasn't a good holding mid on the shopping list? That way we could have protected our CD's better and the defensive unit would been more effective.
Rodgers rates him allright but didn't have the balls to drop Gerrard when all and sundry could see he was struggling. He still doesn't. If he is available, he will be shoe horned into the side in some position.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #1225 on: April 29, 2015, 10:25:33 am »
Remember that show Lost?

That about sums up the club and fanbase right now

Summer can't come soon enough, need to regroup and rethink

haha which Rawk poster can be Hurley?

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #1226 on: April 29, 2015, 10:26:37 am »
Rodgers has been here for three seasons, not one.

I know, but since our title challenge it's been only one season.

Look, if there was any indication that the club is considering Rafa or someone else then I'd join the speculation. But there isn't, much to the contrary there seems to be opposition to Rafa inside the club.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Online justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1227 on: April 29, 2015, 10:27:29 am »
This isn't about Suarez at all. If a competent man (manager, DoF, CEO whatever) was given the £300 million odd that we 've spent in 4.5 years, we'd be challenging for the title every season. Its in fact quite an achievement in itself to be spending so much in transfer fees every year and still have only 1 top 4 finish and 1 league cup to show for it in 5 years.

The problem lies largely in the wage structure.

You can pay whatever transfer fee you want - but if you don't compete in the top player wage bracket, you won't get ready made top players.

Put it to you this way - if we paid enough money (and there's many valid arguments to say we shouldn't) ... we'd have signed Diego Costa (the first time around before other clubs were interested), Willian and god knows who else.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1228 on: April 29, 2015, 10:27:57 am »
I know, but since our title challenge it's been only one season.

Look, if there was any indication that the club is considering Rafa or someone else then I'd join the speculation. But there isn't, much to the contrary there seems to be opposition to Rafa inside the club.

Hey if even Abramovich can swallow his pride and take back Mouriinho for the sake of Chelsea, anything is possible...

Offline Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #1229 on: April 29, 2015, 10:28:32 am »
What troubles me is the frequency in which we are playing players out of position.

Last summer, Rodgers (and the "committee") were given the ability to overhaul the squad in a massive way.  The Suarez money allowed Rodgers to add the depth to his squad that he had bemoaned was lacking.  We presided over a number of transfers, and this season should have seen us in far better shape to cope with the demands of European football as well as have a good run at the Premier League again.

And yet, as an example, last night, we finished the game with central midfielder playing at centre back, a right back at left-back and a winger at right back.
We have started many games this without a recognised striker on the pitch but 2-3 on the bench!

How have we got in to this situation that we have supposedly strategically overhauled the squad, added the depth that Rodgers was clear to point out we were lacking, and yet we are pushing square pegs in to round holes in every single game.

Sometimes I think Rodgers simply over-complicates things by changing things too much, and it seems we end up with players all over the place.
This summer, he (and yes, I do think he will and should still be here) has to work out what he needs, and where he needs it.
We can't be expected to challenge when we are continuously playing players out of position, and we end up with the situation we did last night of having 3 players playing out of position in defence.

I think the reasoning behind is because the players that should be playing in those positions are either not good enough or not available.  As a result, he's having to shuffle things around and put players he thinks can play those positions.  At times its looked great like when we had the run post the defeat at United.  Note this has also resulted in a change in system.  I'm pretty sure he never planned to play that way at the start of the season. 

But once that system no longer works, you're having to shuffle things around again.  And then everything ends up in a muddle with players playing all over the place and essentially looking lost.

Ideally, once we needed to change things up, you'd hope that we'd play something that would accommodate players in their "natural" positions.  Clearly that's not worked either.

What I find most scary though is, you'd hope that all these things would've been worked on in training.  But it doesn't look like that. 

I'm not sure what to make of the rest of the season but this result has basically ended any faint hopes we had on breaking into the top 4.

Going forward, the whole transfer strategy needs to be addressed and players targeted accordingly. 
- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1230 on: April 29, 2015, 10:29:16 am »
The problem lies largely in the wage structure.

You can pay whatever transfer fee you want - but if you don't compete in the top player wage bracket, you won't get ready made top players.

Put it to you this way - if we paid enough money (and there's many valid arguments to say we shouldn't) ... we'd have signed Diego Costa (the first time around before other clubs were interested), Willian and god knows who else.

Spot on...this is the fatal flaw of the heart of FSG's strategy. There has to be a few players in the team who are world class and who are therefore paid world class salaries on a different scale from the rest  - much like how the American clubs pay their foreign players.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1231 on: April 29, 2015, 10:29:36 am »
Balotelli, Lovren, Lallana and Lambert have been disastrous, Balotelli is a good player in the right setup, but clearly not what was required at the time, and nowhere near mobile enough, Lovren is absolute shit, and was shit in the 5 or 6 months leading up to the transfer, Lallana is another average to half decent footballer, not a game changer, not better than anyone else at the club in his position, and clearly a waste of money, and Lambert was bought as the last throw of the dice battering ram, and seemed sound business, but more often than not gets put on chasing a game in the 88th-90th minute.

I don't want to retread well trodden ground, but that's £65m completely wasted, not to mention the £20m spent on a young exciting attacking midfielder/winger only to see him played as a right back or right wing-back.

I think Brendan is an amazing coach, but from a managerial perspective, his transfers have been utterly shambolic, the best setup is clearly a Director of Football, with Brendan as head coach, offering some insight into the *TYPE* of player he wants, but without having free reign, as he clearly has a problem identifying and signing the right type of player, both in terms of mentality, and of course profile.

I was certainly rubbing my hands with glee at getting back into the Champions League last year, but felt utterly underwhelmed at the profile of player being targeted when Lambert was signed before the World Cup.

(TL;DR version), Brendan to remain as a head coach, but with a DoF in charge of making signings.

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
« Reply #1232 on: April 29, 2015, 10:31:46 am »
haha which Rawk poster can be Hurley?

He was on that desert island for years and didn't lose an ounce. What were they all eating?
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline muyuu

• Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #1233 on: April 29, 2015, 10:32:01 am »
Balotelli, Lovren, Lallana and Lambert have been disastrous, Balotelli is a good player in the right setup, but clearly not what was required at the time, and nowhere near mobile enough, Lovren is absolute shit, and was shit in the 5 or 6 months leading up to the transfer, Lallana is another average to half decent footballer, not a game changer, not better than anyone else at the club in his position, and clearly a waste of money, and Lambert was bought as the last throw of the dice battering ram, and seemed sound business, but more often than not gets put on chasing a game in the 88th-90th minute.

They are not worth what we paid for them, but no way they're as shite as they've been for us. All these players have been better footballers and they're in an age range of improvement.
-sinnermichael

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1234 on: April 29, 2015, 10:33:06 am »
Anfield will be like a morgue at the weekend. Hopefully we can finish the season on a bit of a high, amazing how all that optimism has changed so drastically in just over a month.

Yep, it's amazing how things can drastically change in such short periods of time. A month ago things looked very different and yet we're likely not going to qualify for the Champions League and meekly lost a semi final to Aston Villa, the latter  being the most disappointing thing given it was a huge chance for us to get to a final and our general level of performance . And yesterday was like that Villa game (unlike the West Brom game at the weekend, where I thought West Brom made it difficult for us and where we played ok) where we showed absolutely nothing, which was the worst thing. I still hope we qualify for the Europa League season, so there's still something to play for but there's no doubt this season has been disappointing but I've seen comments about how this is as bad as the Hodgson era and how awful things are for us - no way is this anything like that. Back then, things looked bleak, not just on the pitch but for the future of the club. We're somewhere else now and we've obviously gotten things wrong since then but the sky isn't falling in and as we've seen, things change quickly in football. Where we are now isn't necessarily where we'll be in a few months time or next season.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #1235 on: April 29, 2015, 10:35:26 am »
So wouldn't it make sense getting Klopp then?

Why does Rodgers deserve another year?

I remember when Southampton sacked Atkin and everyone was moaning etc. Look where Southampton are now.

look at how many managers Chelsea have been through.

If Klopp is available and better than Rodgers then we would be foolish not to go for him now.

I'm an old sentimental.

In truth though I would probably say if we did get Klopp then I would not be entirely disappointed. My only issue with him would be that we would probably be a stepping stone to someone bigger but if he was successful here than I am sure I would get over that.

In regards to Rodgers though I feel there is a lot to learn from the last year. He started this season full of confidence and bravado. He has been taken down a peg or two and his confidence has probably taken quite a hit. But this is all part of the job and it is a good thing. He should be a better manager for it next season. He is still a young manager and this is all part of the learning curve and I feel if we stick with him he might just get it right. You need the ups and downs to improve and it could be the making of him.

With that said I can't guarantee he won't fuck it up next season but I do feel this season should improve him. That was always the gamble taking on someone young and relatively inexperienced. I want to see whether last season was all about Suarez or is Rodgers capable of delivering that level of football again. So I would give him another shot on that basis.

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1236 on: April 29, 2015, 10:36:48 am »
Yep, it's amazing how things can drastically change in such short periods of time. A month ago things looked very different and yet we're likely not going to qualify for the Champions League and meekly lost a semi final to Aston Villa, the latter  being the most disappointing thing given it was a huge chance for us to get to a final and our general level of performance . And yesterday was like that Villa game (unlike the West Brom game at the weekend, where I thought West Brom made it difficult for us and where we played ok) where we showed absolutely nothing, which was the worst thing. I still hope we qualify for the Europa League season, so there's still something to play for but there's no doubt this season has been disappointing but I've seen comments about how this is as bad as the Hodgson era and how awful things are for us - no way is this anything like that. Back then, things looked bleak, not just on the pitch but for the future of the club. We're somewhere else now and we've obviously gotten things wrong since then but the sky isn't falling in and as we've seen, things change quickly in football. Where we are now isn't necessarily where we'll be in a few months time or next season.

Excellent post.

Offline PrideofBelfast

• Main Stander
« Reply #1237 on: April 29, 2015, 10:47:22 am »
Let's wait a minute. Rogers took us into the Chamions League and to a very close 2nd in the PL last season. He was our saviour then and a tactical genius. (The football Liverpool were playing was some of the most attractive football i have ever seen.) Bad start to the year this year and then after January back to 'phew our tactical genius is back again'. Now after a bad month he is being dogged again with calls for Rafa and Klopp. If i am correct, Rafa got an even harder time from the fans before he left, so wanting him back now is a bit contradictory.

We are sitting 5th and 2 semi finals to look back on. Maybe Rogers is right.... we are on par. This team lacks European experience and i am sure we will improve next year on this. We have lost Suarez and Sturridge this year and the backbone of Carra and Gerrard. A few good signings (mainly a top class striker,, midfielder and defender) and rid of the bad signings from the last few years (mainly Ballotelli, Borini, Lambert) hopefully will be enough.

Wise up and give this man a chance. He obviously has immense talent (while showing naivety as well at times).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:59:06 am by PrideofBelfast »
In Brendan we trust!

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1238 on: April 29, 2015, 10:54:55 am »
Let's wait a minute. Rogers took us into the Chamions League and to a very close 2nd in the PL last season. He was our saviour then and a tactical genius. (The football Liverpool were playing was some of the most attractive football i have ever seen.) Bad start to the year this year and then after January back to 'phew our tactical genius is back again'. Now after a bad month he is being dogged again with calls for Rafa and Klopp. If i am correct, Rafa got an even harder time from the fans before he left, so wanting him back now is a bit contradictory.
Most of the time I agree with this. On this occasion though, I think Klopp is an upgrade we can't afford to miss out on. Right person, right time, right place, if you will. I honestly think in hindsight it will turn out to be one of those moments where things change, a bit like whiskey nose not getting sacked after that cup win. But I fully understand those wanting to keep Rodgers too and the reasons why.
As for Rafa, to be honest I think a lot of people (myself included) only realised the full weight on what was going on behind the scenes in his last season after the event.
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1239 on: April 29, 2015, 10:59:55 am »
If FSG keep Brendan, I can see the sense in it.
If FSG get rid of Brendan, I can see the sense in it.