Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 599481 times)

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #3040 on: June 25, 2017, 12:39:07 pm »
cucina di vincenzo. wavertree/childwall area. really impressive. pity its not in town but i'll 100% be going back. everyone loved it.
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #3041 on: June 25, 2017, 04:01:53 pm »
nice review that, especially with the pictures

Thank you. I've got one on Lunya coming up soon.

Offline Static

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3042 on: July 16, 2017, 06:12:13 pm »
It was ages ago when I last went, but I've never had a better steak in my life!

http://www.meetsteakhouse.co.uk/menu.asp

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
50% off Al a Carte menu @ Alma de Cuba, Mon-Thurs
« Reply #3043 on: July 29, 2017, 03:54:55 pm »
Always liked the building and decor, pretty nice place. Anyway new management 'of signature living' have revamped the menu. Apparently this deal has been going on since late May, I've only just been made aware of it. should mention its a Latin American themed menu.

0151 709 1567 to book a table.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:57:45 pm by ggcc14 »
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3044 on: August 3, 2017, 01:30:00 am »
Third visit to Bacaro in last few months-love the place.
Small plates, nice atmosphere, good staff.
The black pudding and chicken liver dish is boss, as is the fritto misto.
General food standard is very high- recommended.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3045 on: August 5, 2017, 03:40:43 pm »
Finally visited the Baltic Market yesterday after going to ghetto golf.

It's a great space with loads of great food options. Got halloumi fries from one stall called hafla hafla, and baos (2 Japanese bun things) from one called Pao. Was about £13 for the two dishes, you ordered and they gave you a pager style device that buzzed you to go back when your food was ready.

Bar was decent enough, they did a pint called Baltic lager that was £4.

I'd definitely recommend it as somewhere to try, seems very busy at the moment we got there about 5.30pm and it was already pretty full only 30 minutes after it opened.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3046 on: August 6, 2017, 09:38:13 pm »
Out for a feed next Saturday and was thinking of one of those meat places - Bem Brazil , Fazenda and the like . Anyone got any views on the best place at the moment ?

Put much more trust in RAWK opinions as opposed to TripAdvisor and such .

Cheers !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3047 on: August 6, 2017, 09:42:43 pm »
I'd recommend fazenda. I've been there and viva Brazil and I thought that was the better of the two. Salad bar is amazing

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3048 on: August 6, 2017, 09:48:42 pm »
I'd recommend fazenda. I've been there and viva Brazil and I thought that was the better of the two. Salad bar is amazing

Nice one . Always seems to get good reviews .

Seems to have been quite a few similar places opening recently with a meat theme . so appreciate the heads up !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #3049 on: August 7, 2017, 07:35:58 am »
Anyone who`s been to San Carlo?

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3050 on: August 7, 2017, 10:20:45 am »
Nice one . Always seems to get good reviews .

Seems to have been quite a few similar places opening recently with a meat theme . so appreciate the heads up !

Fazenda is my favorite, amazing place!

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #3051 on: August 7, 2017, 10:32:10 am »
Anyone who`s been to San Carlo?

Only been once at lunchtime.  The food and service was good.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #3052 on: August 9, 2017, 01:55:43 pm »
It's hardly new but it's somewhere I love- a write up on Lunya.

http://theplatelickedclean.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/lunya-college-lane-liverpool-one-review.html

And so to Liverpool. I fell in love with this city many years ago, with its pride and its humour and its grit and its grandeur, its resilience, its defiance in the face of governmental neglect and southern disdain. In England, but certainly Scouse before 'English'.

It gets under your skin, this place. This is the city which produced the music which changed the world. The city which bred those indefatigable, indomitable people who fought for justice for their loved ones every day for decades, unbowed and unflinching, holding the British establishment to account for Hillsborough. Which other city could do the same, I wonder? A city whose football team dominated Europe like few clubs- none of them British- has ever managed to emulate. (Which is where I came in, when Liverpool meant to me what it now means to my four year old daughter: red shirts on a TV screen).

Spanish influences are a big thing here: Neon Jamon, Xiringuito, Gracias. La Vina, Roja Pinchos, Tapas Tapas. Salt House Tapas. Even the nominally Italian Bacaro gets in on the act. But the jefe, the daddy of them all, is Liverpool ONE's Lunya.

This has been one of my favourite places to eat for a while now, but it's my first time back here for a couple of years. It has been open since 2010, with husband and wife/dynamic duo Peter and Elaine Kinsella building on the success of their stall at North West food festivals and ending up here, in an 18th century warehouse in College Lane, right in the heart of Liverpool ONE. Acclaim and awards have never been far away.

It has a distinctive look, half the ground floor acting as a deli (their online shop is firmly established, I've been buying my Saula coffee here for years), with local artwork on the walls. The striking lifesize papier-mâché igures which decorate the first floor are imported from Barcelona.

The mission brief here is 'fusion': a willingness to use Spanish produce in a variety of ways, rather than be enslaved to the Great God of Authenticity: a firm favourite from previous visits is their 'Catalan Scouse'. The iconic lamb neck stew, so indivisibly linked with the city, becomes a hotpot of slow-cooked cured pork treats.

A pint of Barcelona's Moritz lager teams well with green peppers which arrive salted and blistered from the grill, just right for a couple of rounds of Padrón Roulette.

Morcilla- Spanish blood sausage- has been shaped into little balls and crumbed, before being deep-fried, slicked with a syrup of honey and orange and a daub of pomegranate molasses. It's instantly impressive, instantly memorable: a delicately structured shell, an inky black interior, rich earthiness with sour-sweet notes.

With shavings of asparagus and the woody umami of mushrooms, a portion of ibérico ham slivers is somehow evocative of a forest floor, the floor where these prized pigs once snuffled for acorns. It's a sense of place on a plate.

The smokiness of the meat and the sauce team well in the next dish: aubergine purée is just the thing with chargrilled little chulletillas of lamb. A plate of mixed seafood and red peppers brings a burst of sunshine.

Most playful of all is a riff on gua bao, the pillowy hirata-style bun intact and the smoky pork belly teamed with a slice of membrillo, the quince paste so typically paired with manchego cheese; there are tiny nuggets of crunchy crackling.

It's hardly the kind of thing you'd call 'authentic', but it takes those Spanish ingredients and serves them with a twist. It's the kind of thing I'd order by the trough.

Lunya is the sort of place which can easily leave you frustrated at the dishes you didn't get round to trying. Add to that the gamut of temptations on offer in the deli downstairs, and a menu which often rings the changes, and you see why they have a very popular loyalty card scheme. After far too long a gap between visits, it's obvious that Lunya goes from strength to strength.

Lunya

18-20 College Ln

Liverpool ONE

Liverpool L1 3DS

https://lunya.co.uk/

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #3053 on: August 15, 2017, 09:10:47 pm »

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #3054 on: August 18, 2017, 08:41:27 pm »
Can someone reccomend me a brunch/early lunch spot pretty central that I won't have to book for 6 of us at all?

Wetherspoons
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3055 on: August 19, 2017, 12:57:22 am »
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3056 on: September 21, 2017, 11:40:16 am »
Very quiet on the recommendations, no one eating out much at the moment?

Me and the wife had our first date night for a while on Saturday. Bold St was crazy busy as usual so couldn't get in any of the obvious choices so tried Chicha for the first time. No idea how long it's been there but I hadn't noticed it before.

Anyway, was some really good Peruvian street food tapas. All the portions were a really good size so you didn't need to order too many dishes to get a good meal and that obviously kept the price pretty reasonable. Think it was £65 (inc a decent tip) for about about 7/8 plates and a couple of drinks each. So yeah, definitely worth a try.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3057 on: September 21, 2017, 11:49:48 am »
Mowgli on Water St - incredibly good in every sense

Almost Famous on Parr St - burger was nice but fries with all the trimmings on them are a bit unnecessary, wouldn't go back as the service was utterly shite, I get that it was Sunday lunchtime and fairly quiet, but most of the staff were sitting around the bar having a chat rather than serving their customers which is unacceptable whatever time of day it is

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3058 on: September 21, 2017, 12:02:44 pm »
Mowgli on Water St - incredibly good in every sense

Almost Famous on Parr St - burger was nice but fries with all the trimmings on them are a bit unnecessary, wouldn't go back as the service was utterly shite, I get that it was Sunday lunchtime and fairly quiet, but most of the staff were sitting around the bar having a chat rather than serving their customers which is unacceptable whatever time of day it is

Agree with both here! Mowgli was great.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3059 on: September 21, 2017, 02:46:34 pm »
Yeah love Mowgli.

Had a Sunday roast at Hanover St Social a few weeks ago, thought it was excellent. Drink is fairly expensive but food is pretty reasonable and get pretty big portions.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3060 on: September 21, 2017, 02:48:55 pm »
Went to the food and drink festival the weekend just gone on Sefton Park. Always some good food on show.

Did read that Miyagi on Bold street will be closing next week for a re-brand.

Wasn't a massive fan of their food (Wagamamas does it better and cheaper for me) But their drinks menu is top notch

Be interested to see where they go with it.

The big Poundworld that used to be in Clayton Square (above Boots) is about to become another All you can eat Chinese buffet restaurant and the old mini Morrisons on the junction of Hannover Street and Church street will become the city centres 4th McNasty's

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3061 on: September 21, 2017, 04:20:42 pm »
Went to lucha libre the other week. Was nice, atmosphere is pretty chill in there. Some stunning bird serving in a red skirt thing

Offline diaspora

• Main Stander
« Reply #3062 on: September 23, 2017, 02:16:46 pm »

Did read that Miyagi on Bold street will be closing next week for a re-brand.

I believe they have a new investor in place, Evidently a local DJ of some repute. Its likely to be influenced by him and his time in Ibiza, tapas, sherry and music more to the fore

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #3063 on: September 30, 2017, 03:12:15 pm »
Went to lucha libre the other week. Was nice, atmosphere is pretty chill in there. Some stunning bird serving in a red skirt thing

I live pretty much above Lucha Libre, don’t think it’s all that great for the price, small portions and that.

Went Mowgli on Water Street for my birthday on Wednesday night, second time there and it was even better than the first. The butter chicken, oh my sweet sweet Christ.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3064 on: September 30, 2017, 11:08:14 pm »
I live pretty much above Lucha Libre, don’t think it’s all that great for the price, small portions and that.

Went Mowgli on Water Street for my birthday on Wednesday night, second time there and it was even better than the first. The butter chicken, oh my sweet sweet Christ.

I probably feel the same about Lucha Lubre.  It's always decent, but without being all that much to write home about.

(Good to see you checking in on here, by the way :wave)

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3065 on: October 1, 2017, 08:00:05 am »

Portions are pretty small but I'm not a huge eater so was enough for me.

Anyone been the Italian club? See they have a fish one too but I'm not a fish fan so that's out the question.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2017, 08:01:48 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline scouse92

• Main Stander
« Reply #3066 on: October 2, 2017, 11:08:42 am »
Portions are pretty small but I'm not a huge eater so was enough for me.

Anyone been the Italian club? See they have a fish one too but I'm not a fish fan so that's out the question.

Never been to the italian club but have been to the Italian Fish club- They do offer a range of fish dishes and specials priced by weight- however some of the menu is non seafood. Service was very good and have heard similar reviews from the non fish one.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #3067 on: October 2, 2017, 10:20:50 pm »
Called in to Trattoria 51 which is next to our work on Old Hall Street, it used to be fairly decent but now they seem to be aiming to get you in and out in record time.

Pizzas in there are nice though so cant complain too much.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3068 on: October 9, 2017, 11:06:12 am »
Went to Spire out near Penny Lane on Saturday. Had a table booked for 9.30 and the food was incredible. Genuinely incredible

Went for a proper 3 course meal. Started with a duck dish with a pineapple sauce. Main was a fillet of beef with Welsh rarebit and then we shared the selection of mini desserts as you get a very decent portions. Others with me had ham hock, trio of fish and squid to start, lamb, sea bass and another beef fillet dish as a main and there wasn't a morsel left nor was there a complaint about any of it (which is rare!)

Thoroughly, thoroughly recommended for anyone looking for a very nice meal

Next up is Crust as I've heard excellent things about it

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #3069 on: October 15, 2017, 11:17:27 am »
Coming up in a couple of weeks and the lad wants steak.  Cau or Meet - any recommendations?
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline ScouserAlec

• Kopite
« Reply #3070 on: October 16, 2017, 03:32:15 pm »
Coming up in a couple of weeks and the lad wants steak.  Cau or Meet - any recommendations?

Meet.

Cau not been the best the last couple of times I have been, Meet is always spot on.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3071 on: October 27, 2017, 01:25:11 am »
Cucina di vincenzio - brilliant once again. Probably the most authentic Italian we have now. Will defo open in the city centre soon enough
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3072 on: October 27, 2017, 12:57:09 pm »
Went to the newish Indians in Hunts Cross The Purple Olive (the old Hunts Cross Hotel) and it was really very nice, there was 8 of us and everyone enjoyed it, just eating some leftovers now for lunch, spot on and very reasonable I thought.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #3073 on: October 27, 2017, 01:33:45 pm »
Lads and ladies, I'm heading to Liverpool with the missus and her parents in a few weeks. What's the best place to go to?

Offline The Evil One

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3074 on: October 27, 2017, 04:17:07 pm »
Oktopus or Wreckfish are decent

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3075 on: October 27, 2017, 04:48:54 pm »
I'm really excited to try Wreckfish

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3076 on: October 27, 2017, 05:35:02 pm »
Cucina di vincenzio - brilliant once again. Probably the most authentic Italian we have now. Will defo open in the city centre soon enough

Isn't it the guy who had il forno on duke street ? Your right it's very authentic not a huge menu but great food and good atmosphere to it

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3077 on: October 27, 2017, 07:58:18 pm »
Lads and ladies, I'm heading to Liverpool with the missus and her parents in a few weeks. What's the best place to go to?

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #3078 on: November 1, 2017, 03:38:29 pm »
Meet.

Cau not been the best the last couple of times I have been, Meet is always spot on.

We ended up in Cau as my lad came up by train and it took 10 hours resulting in a much later meal than planned.  It was fine though.

As an aside, what on earth is wrong with the traffic lights in Liverpool?  I've driven through loads of major UK cities and the phasing of the lights in Liverpool seems bonkers, they remain red far longer than elsewhere and seem to be green for far shorter periods, definitely slowing down traffic flow. This was from Liverpool city centre all the way out to the airport.

Or is it just me?  :-)
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3079 on: November 4, 2017, 08:06:44 pm »
Just booked the Art School for January, tasting menu plus wine flight, anybody been? Also booked a night at 24 Catharine St (The Blackburne), any reviews?