Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1366630 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #6800 on: April 13, 2021, 11:51:30 pm »
It wasn't a pot luck shot. He has smashed it in the corner and gave the opposition defence and keeper no chance to react and block the shot.

I agree.

Mental that this is even being disputed.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6801 on: April 14, 2021, 12:05:04 am »
I agree.

Mental that this is even being disputed.

It is like saying that Gerrard v Olympiakos or West Ham were pot shots. Players like Gerrard and Trent have fantastic technique and hit the ball so cleanly.

Pot shots are Kompany or Wanyama who have a terrible shot accuracy percentage hitting freak shots.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6802 on: April 14, 2021, 12:10:51 am »
It is like saying that Gerrard v Olympiakos or West Ham were pot shots. Players like Gerrard and Trent have fantastic technique and hit the ball so cleanly.

Pot shots are Kompany or Wanyama who have a terrible shot accuracy percentage hitting freak shots.

Exactly. Look at Trent's body shape, and his shooting motion and technique for the goal, quite evident.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #6803 on: April 14, 2021, 12:19:44 am »
He used the player as a screen to unsight the keeper, and as a bearing to bend the ball around. It was monstrously magnificent technique from the lad.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6804 on: April 14, 2021, 12:33:49 am »
Exactly. Look at Trent's body shape, and his shooting motion and technique for the goal, quite evident.

He simply couldn't of hit it any better.

Wouldn't put it past him doing it against Madrid.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #6805 on: April 14, 2021, 12:37:26 am »
I think Trent is the best right back in the world, but to pretend that that shot was anything other than a shot on goal is silly. He didn’t know Mings would move out the way. We’ve seen enough of those pot luck shots that don’t go in.
It's a low percentage shot, but he took it as best as he could and it was an excellent finish.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6806 on: April 14, 2021, 01:03:21 am »
It's a low percentage shot, but he took it as best as he could and it was an excellent finish.

The funny though is that when one of our players takes on a shot like that then you have little hope. Someone like DeBruyne gets the same opportunity and we are all hiding behind the couch.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6807 on: April 14, 2021, 02:48:23 am »
A goal and avoiding a yellow card would do well for him. And a quick corner might be fun to see again...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #6808 on: April 14, 2021, 10:29:44 am »
Who did we play one time when the opposition players would stand over the ball, kick it out, get in the players’ faces... anything to stop us taking quick corners, throw ins and free kicks? I vaguely remember Sisoko being one of the perpetrators so it must’ve been Spurs. The Pochettino or Mourinho version I cannot remember.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6809 on: April 14, 2021, 10:33:40 am »

And this. I've felt for quite some time now that there's some deep-seated bigotry behind the way Trent is relentlessly criticised in the media

The latest MOTD had an entire post-match segment devoted to how amazing he is though?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6810 on: April 14, 2021, 10:35:30 am »
Who did we play one time when the opposition players would stand over the ball, kick it out, get in the players’ faces... anything to stop us taking quick corners, throw ins and free kicks? I vaguely remember Sisoko being one of the perpetrators so it must’ve been Spurs. The Pochettino or Mourinho version I cannot remember.
I remember it happening against Mourinho's Man U.  It was the game where we gave Man U two soft goals early on and Ashley Young surgically attached himself to Salah as part of the back six "tactical masterclass".  Matic was relentless in stopping anything happening quickly - frequently showing a turn of pace out character with his normal game to interfere with any kind of set piece.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6811 on: April 14, 2021, 10:44:17 am »
The latest MOTD had an entire post-match segment devoted to how amazing he is though?
That was odd.  I hate it when MOTD pundits find isolated clips to push whatever their agenda is and that was a fine example of it.  Trent had a steady game and topped it off with a fantastic goal but they had clearly already decided it was his turn to get the "five clips showing how good he was" treatment.

I can't remember what Ian Wright said - something along the lines of "Well, he did quite well there" - when he gave his man a free-header in the last minute but the header went wide.  It was lackadaisical defending and the very thing he rightly gets picked up on from time to time.

Until Southgate made those daft comments - confusingly on the back of two of Trent's best performance for quite a long time (RBL and Wolves) - I never really felt like he got much media attention from any direction.  His far-above-average attacking became taken for granted as did his a-bit-below-average defending.  Milner summed it up when he said Trent had been lucky with his career/scrutiny until now and Trent doesn't seem like a character that is going to give a monkey's what the likes of Neville say.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6812 on: April 14, 2021, 11:16:27 am »
You don’t play in this side, for as long as he has, at his age, with below average defending  ::)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6813 on: April 14, 2021, 11:46:17 am »
You don’t play in this side, for as long as he has, at his age, with below average defending  ::)
I think he can and does because he brings an exceptional amount to our attacking play and because Klopp's system puts a lot of the onus of creating on the full-backs.

Southgate maybe just wants his full-backs to cover his central defenders, stop crosses and hit balls into the channels.  Horses for courses.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #6814 on: April 14, 2021, 11:46:26 am »

Andy Robertson puts it succinctly.After praising Trent’s performance at the weekend and versus Arsenal he said: “Of course he struggled midweek against Madrid but we all did. Not one of us played well but for some reason more gets said about Trent’s performance than anyone else’s.”

You know you’re top dog when your every blip causes so much conversation. I don’t hear anybody mentioning how Tyrone Mings literally dodged the ball on the way to his goal. Mings will probably be one of the first names on Southgate’s Euro roll call. Mings isn’t that hot sauce who’s won everything at club level, so his mistakes are invisible.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6815 on: April 14, 2021, 12:02:27 pm »

There's a good article in the Athletic today about how his defending has improved this season
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #6816 on: April 14, 2021, 10:15:50 pm »
I thought he was superb tonight and deserves recognition. Some very good defending from him. Wonder if the pundits mention it  ;)
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6817 on: April 14, 2021, 10:16:49 pm »
Yeah was excellent, did some magic things with the ball and was good defensively.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6818 on: April 14, 2021, 10:17:37 pm »
Our best player tonight.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6819 on: April 14, 2021, 10:18:57 pm »
He’s a fantastic footballer. Ran the game from right back

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #6820 on: April 14, 2021, 10:48:12 pm »
Brilliant tonight. Madrid defended well but a top striker would have put few of TAA's deliveries away.
True North Strong

Offline unclebob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • NEVER buy the s*n
« Reply #6821 on: April 14, 2021, 10:50:35 pm »
Brilliant tonight. Madrid defended well but a top striker would have put few of TAA's deliveries away.
If only we had one?!!
If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6822 on: April 14, 2021, 11:15:43 pm »
Fucking brilliant tonight!

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6823 on: April 14, 2021, 11:43:00 pm »
Outstanding tonight

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #6824 on: April 15, 2021, 12:08:22 am »
Unbelievable talent going forward.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #6825 on: April 15, 2021, 02:12:08 am »
Absolutely ran the game, like a boss, like a controlling 'everything goes through him' midfielder. From right-back. He's stupendous this lad.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6826 on: April 15, 2021, 04:15:59 am »
Complete performance, clearly learned from the 1st leg and was able to handle Vinicius really well, hardly mentioned or recognised for it though tonight, they only recognise last ditch tackles as good defending, twats.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6827 on: April 15, 2021, 05:36:52 am »
Are we getting the best out of him as rb though? Maybe we could benefit more if we move him in midfield
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6828 on: April 16, 2021, 11:33:06 am »
I'm not against moving him into midfield but only if we can get a quality right back in and only if we're actually changing our tactics to rely on the fullbacks less.  He has everything De Bruyne does.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6829 on: April 16, 2021, 11:37:50 am »
At least we know who MOTM for the second leg will be

Not that it really meant much....but I'm still taking this as a win
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6830 on: April 16, 2021, 11:45:34 am »
Are we getting the best out of him as rb though? Maybe we could benefit more if we move him in midfield

I don’t buy this move into midfield narrative. I much rather us having a once in a generation right back rather than a midfielder who could potentially be once in a generation. And he’s not that great 1v1, I can’t see him being amazing against teams that press us hard.

Oh and the other thing is that being at RB, it give him a lot more field to use his best weapon, the long ball. In the middle of the park it will be a waste for him, he can’t even whip in his trademark crosses from there, never mind switching play.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 11:47:54 am by Bend It Like Aurelio »

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #6831 on: April 16, 2021, 12:24:16 pm »
I'm not against moving him into midfield but only if we can get a quality right back in and only if we're actually changing our tactics to rely on the fullbacks less.  He has everything De Bruyne does.

He is a great RB. He could be the best cm in the world.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6832 on: April 16, 2021, 11:06:22 pm »
Grace Robertson wrote a good blog post yesterday that English fans are too hung up on what position is listed next to a player on the TV graphic and what that means more than what a player is actually doing.  It's a paid article so I won't copy/paste it here but this small snippet:

The Italians use terzino, which has a pretty complicated history. Antonio Gagliardi, assistant coach at Juventus, has talked about Alexander-Arnold as an example of terzini-registi, essentially “playmaker full-backs” (though a regista tends to more specifically mean an Andrea Pirlo-style deep-lying playmaker). “A player is no longer tied to a fixed position”, Gagliardi explained. “We identify them by the jobs they perform, not the position they play.

“As systems become more and more fluid with rotations and interchanges, players are moving around the pitch and doing jobs that reflect their skill set. Alexander-Arnold can be Liverpool’s playmaker because he has a talent that’s way above average for a full-back.”

He's listed as a RB but when this LFC team was at it's best Trent did almost nothing on the field that you would quantify as what a RB would typically do.  We defended with a 5 of the 2 CB's and 3 midfielders and we attacked with a 5 of Trent/Robb and the front 3.  This basic blueprint led us to heights we've never seen.  I've stated over and over in this thread and elsewhere that 20 years ago he's David Beckham and these conversations don't even exist.  People just need to get over this crap of him being listed as a RB.  Yes he defends in that space when required but in an ideal LFC game he would never do it.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #6833 on: April 17, 2021, 12:10:43 am »
Same thing happened against Atletico last year when Trent bossed that game and defended so well for 90 minutes, but the strikers kept fluffing their chances. In extra time we were shattered. You have to take your chances at this level. His gift has been wasted in the CL 2 seasons in a row with all the squandered gaping goal mouth opportunities that ended up either in the goalies’ arms or over the crossbar.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6835 on: April 24, 2021, 05:40:11 pm »
If that volley has gone in from Thiago’s set up from the corner, we’d have been looking at goal of the century.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6836 on: April 24, 2021, 06:27:45 pm »
Would of been a very good goal, not quite goal of the century

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6837 on: April 24, 2021, 07:44:47 pm »
I wish that went in, he deserved it. He was drifting in the center more and more of late, and I like it.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #6838 on: April 26, 2021, 09:04:16 pm »
Supposedly Trent has unfollowed England on Twitter (seriously, who keeps an eye on such things?!) so people seem to think he's been told he's not going to the Euros.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6839 on: April 26, 2021, 09:11:33 pm »
Maybe he's retiring from international football. Good man.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.