Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 335953 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #680 on: February 5, 2011, 02:15:24 pm »
2. Is it because he left to go to Chelsea (the only option on the table) or would you have been as angry if he went to, say, Inter Milan? (which WASNT an option)

It was the only option because he and Chelsea made it that way.

If he really wanted to leave and do the right thing for the club as well as himself then he should of put in a transfer request at the start of the transfer window. That way all the clubs who wanted him could of come in with bids.

Instead he came out saying he wont be leaving, until 3 days before the window was closing and then put his request in.

Offline gallden

• bols
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: February 5, 2011, 02:20:05 pm »

Questions for those still seething about Torres:

1. Do you think he would have left if we were competing at the top level?

2. Is it because he left to go to Chelsea (the only option on the table) or would you have been as angry if he went to, say, Inter Milan? (which WASNT an option)

3. What SHOULD he have said at the press conference given that Chelsea had just invested 50 million in him?
Journo

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #682 on: February 5, 2011, 02:24:32 pm »
Journo

Good shout. Certainly not a liverpool fan

Yeah clearly he is fishing for something.

Wouldnt shock he if he is a southern journo.

Offline RyanBabelsFish

• used2bee1101
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: February 5, 2011, 02:38:04 pm »

3. What SHOULD he have said at the press conference given that Chelsea had just invested 50 million in him?

1. Do you think he "needed" to leave mid-season?

2. Would Chelsea have been the only interested party in the summer?

The move is short-termism in all its glory. He's thinking about this year's CL. Wouldn't it be great if the Danes put them out :D
My Tips @ www.inside-bet.com

RH: "You're under pressure as manager of Liverpool if you lose two games at any point in the season and we've already lost, five I think, out of eight, or is it four?"

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #684 on: February 5, 2011, 02:41:22 pm »
Here are the reasons why Torres isn't the victim in this:

1. Love this team and fans type comments, fully committed comments and I'll never play for another English club comments. But off the pitch he's a snidey little prick

2.  Wanted the club to show ambition, did he miss the bit were we were getting fleeced. The new owners have only had 1 transfer window to correct things but it seems snidey c*nt had been showing his anus to Roman for most if that
3.  Bangs on that our ambitions don't match his, fuck off son - my ambition is not for Liverpool to be shite. Difference is I have unquestionable faith in the club

4.  Moans about our downfall, well here's an interesting concept tithead; when a club is struggling for form and confidence how about the star strikers actually works hard and gives 100 percent effort.  Can't moan about the results if you arent doing your bit

5.  Moves to Chelsea and fucks on about 'top tier club' and respect from Chelsea fans - how about you show some respect and grow a pair. 

Ultimately, fed up of the Torres saga.  He hopes one day we'll understand his decision, I do understand it now and I still think he's a prick
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 02:44:07 pm by Stretch Armstrong »
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #685 on: February 5, 2011, 02:50:24 pm »

FFS he's been out of the CL for just one season and he packs it in after 6 months. How many goals did he score when Liverpool were last in the CL?

None.

Yes it IS because he went to Chelsea. He repeatedly said he wouldn't play for another English club. That's the kicker. It's a two faced lie.

If he had gone to Inter Milan it wouldn't have been anywhere near as trecherous because they are not another English club and he has already said he would at some stage like to play abroad.

Well he SHOULDN'T have said that he can now finally play at the highest level. What was the CL semi in '08 and what was the push for the title in '09? He's already played at the highest level.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: February 5, 2011, 02:57:06 pm »
we've been through this chaps,
chelsea was the only real option for him for reasons already pointed out.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #687 on: February 5, 2011, 03:02:33 pm »
But it does beg the question; why not wait 5 months, give Liverpool the time to source a replacement at a fair price, also give yourself and the manager a chance for you to play alongside someone new to see how it panned out and not leave with so many bridges burned.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #688 on: February 5, 2011, 03:03:33 pm »
The irony is that if Broughton hadn't of been so indiscreet at the Chelsea party last year then Torres may well of gone their in the summer. We would of got another £20m and it would of been Hicks and Gillet getting it in the neck.

I for one don't think the whole story has come out yet about when Chelsea and Liverpool first discussed the sale of Torres during this window, what I will say is that FSG were very quick in publicizing the Chelsea bid and were even quicker in putting the Torres transfer request up on the official website.

I think when you compare the way United handled the departure of Beckham and Ronaldo without the finger pointing and recriminations and the way the departures of Mascherano and Torres were handled and it is pretty obvious which Club has the more experienced football people at the helm.

United acted the way Liverpool handled the departures of Keegan and Rush and we have acted the way Newcastle handle the departure of players, with desperate attempts to apportion the blame and the need for scapegoats.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #689 on: February 5, 2011, 03:04:15 pm »

FOR FUCKS SAKE did you not see any of his turgid performances in the flesh this past year. Because if you had you wouldn't be insulting us with all this apologist shite in his defence.

He stopped playing for this club sometime last year. And we in our readiness to put his lack of effort down to other factors all made excuses for him. We trusted him and the bond we thought he had with us and us with him. But the reality was he was actually pissing on us game after game from a great height by not trying because his heart and mindset lay elsewhere. AND THAT IS FUCKIN UNFORGIVABLE

All the rest -  the late transfer request, the club he's gone to, the subsequent insults - are certainly hard to stomach but the fact is heroes do come and go. They do have feet of clay. He, however, is the only one who has cheated us by simply taking our hard earned money week after week, month after month under false pretences.   
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 03:07:03 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline hurricane_b

• Boys Pen
« Reply #690 on: February 5, 2011, 03:05:43 pm »
Why are we still moping? he clearly has moved on. There's no point in anger...  I would however love to see complete indifference to him, just because he never "loved" the club.

Offline PortableRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #691 on: February 5, 2011, 03:06:30 pm »
But it does beg the question; why not wait 5 months, give Liverpool the time to source a replacement at a fair price, also give yourself and the manager a chance for you to play alongside someone new to see how it panned out and not leave with so many bridges burned.

Maybe he's already given us a lot of time to get sorted out: we're certainly pushing forward much better than we were a year - or even 6 months - ago. But oh well. We're certainly looking in a much better position now, anyway.

I hope Chelsea lose and he goes missing (no, not off the field :P); that's about the extent of my ill wishes, really.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #692 on: February 5, 2011, 03:06:36 pm »

dodgy mate is the wrong spelling an in joke for a hack!

personally angry with anyone who vows never to play for another prem team then does, principles can be bought easily from some footballing whores! Print that!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline hurricane_b

• Boys Pen
« Reply #693 on: February 5, 2011, 03:06:48 pm »
*towards

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #694 on: February 5, 2011, 03:09:43 pm »
Why are we still moping?

Read the posts.

No fucker is moping.

Just angry with those who for some reason feel compelled to try and rewrite history in defence of Torres and choosing to ignore that he has been conning us for the past 12 months or so with half hearted turgid couldn't care less shite on the pitch.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: February 5, 2011, 03:10:49 pm »

he wanted to go last summer, sounds like he already gave us an extra half season to see how we were fixed.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: February 5, 2011, 03:12:14 pm »

Don't buy that.

He could have easily finished out the season here then handed in a transfer request and weighed up his options. He would have had more options in the summer as more clubs would have gone in for him.

In the long run it probably would have been even better for him rather than the knee jerk misguided transfer to Chelsea.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 03:14:58 pm by Sasquatch »

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #697 on: February 5, 2011, 03:12:23 pm »

To be fair Mascherano gave us another year when he could of forced through a deal to Barca 18 months ago and Torres could of forced a move in the summer. It didn't stop the bridge burning or the need for a scapegoat.

As it goes I don't think the Club were too disappointed to lose either of them, the timing could of been better but I think Torres was starting to show the signs of not being able to handle the physical side of the Premiership and there was little point to the manic Mascherano without the calmness of Alonso alongside him.

I think if their departures had been handled properly we could of got close to a £100m for the pair of them instead of the £67.5m we received.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #698 on: February 5, 2011, 03:12:28 pm »
C'mon people, time to get over this cretin. Thankfully he's gone.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: February 5, 2011, 03:14:06 pm »
Don't buy that.

He could have easily finished out the season here then handed in a transfer request and weighed up his options. He would have had more options in the summer as more clubs would have gone in for him.

yeah but for how much?
and which clubs? who else wanted him?
would you prefer we sold him to inter or something for 25mil?
and we end up signing another mediocre player?

Offline ricflairandy

• moany grumbling in my day the club gave you gold coins grump of a moaning bastard honestly national service for Suarez and another thing...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #701 on: February 5, 2011, 03:15:46 pm »
This thread is a pile of shit.

Ill redo it for you all.

Torres the reasons for leaving - By ricflairandy

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
http://www.musclefood.com/AH6059
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: February 5, 2011, 03:15:56 pm »
yeah but for how much?
and which clubs? who else wanted him?
would you prefer we sold him to inter or something for 25mil?
and we end up signing another mediocre player?

Thought we were talking about Torres not Liverpool.

You don't think any other clubs would have gone for Torres this coming summer?

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: February 5, 2011, 03:16:03 pm »
no other club would have shelled out 50mil for him.
suits us as much as it did him.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: February 5, 2011, 03:16:31 pm »
Thought we were talking about Torres not Liverpool.

You don't think any other clubs would have gone for Torres this coming summer?

who for example?

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: February 5, 2011, 03:18:09 pm »

I'm not saying they would. £50 million is a great deal for us for Torres. Last summer we wouldn't have got that for him.

But I am saying that Torres would still have been in demand by some top clubs this coming summer and he would have had more options for his future rather than going for the knee jerk Chelsea transfer.

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: February 5, 2011, 03:18:58 pm »
who for example?

Milan? Inter? Man City?

Soon as the word got around that Torres wanted to move I'm pretty sure other top clubs (and Man City LOL) would have shown an interest.

Offline Kendoddscat

• Boys Pen
« Reply #707 on: February 5, 2011, 03:20:34 pm »
The truth is chelsea came in for him in the summer - £35 mill - purslow wouldnt sell him because they wanted a buyer for the club, a new buyer would be harder to find selling your best player.

All the sulking wasnt just an act it was real - he didnt want to be here, everyone thought it - but that is the truth.

Apparently he hadnt been trying in training in-case he got injured likewise playing - has he been arsed this season and the end of last?

The carling opta stats printed somewere a few weeks ago said on average when he first came here he was making over 60 runs per game, this season it was as low as 20.

All that shite about him being as dedicated to the club as much now as when i first signed blah blah blah - was lies!

Miserable spanish c*nt!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #708 on: February 5, 2011, 03:20:40 pm »

had we auctioned him in the summer, Chelsea, Manchester City, Real, Ac, Inter, Barca, are you really saying 5 out of 6 of these would say no thanks?

Could have got more than 50 in a price war!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: February 5, 2011, 03:22:08 pm »
maybe he didn't want to go to italy?
no CL this season if he went to city.
if you were him, would you pick city over chelsea?

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #710 on: February 5, 2011, 03:23:44 pm »

That's probably a tad harsh.

However, what I would say is that there's clearly a huge percentage of posters posting in the thread who clearly haven't watched Torres in the flesh this past year or so.

Otherwise, they wouldn't simply be upset with the late transfer request or him going to Chelsea. Nor would they be trying to defend the cheating deceitful bastard.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 03:25:45 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: February 5, 2011, 03:24:41 pm »

1. Torres has already said he'd like to play abroad in Italy.
2. City look likely to play in the CL next season.
3. Personally I'd pick City. I think they have a better future than Chelsea. He's gone to Chelsea at the time they are the weakest they have been for half a decade.

Offline gallden

• bols
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: February 5, 2011, 03:24:46 pm »
Is torres saying that he was only interested in the Chelsea after they put in their original bid for him?

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #713 on: February 5, 2011, 03:25:40 pm »
To be fair Mascherano gave us another year when he could of forced through a deal to Barca 18 months ago and Torres could of forced a move in the summer. It didn't stop the bridge burning or the need for a scapegoat.

As it goes I don't think the Club were too disappointed to lose either of them, the timing could of been better but I think Torres was starting to show the signs of not being able to handle the physical side of the Premiership and there was little point to the manic Mascherano without the calmness of Alonso alongside him.

I think if their departures had been handled properly we could of got close to a £100m for the pair of them instead of the £67.5m we received.

Good points, but would wonder if Barca would have paid much more for a bloke who sits on the banch week in week out.

Also, think Masch and Raul would have formed a good partnership given time.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #714 on: February 5, 2011, 03:25:45 pm »
for a while,i got lost in the arguments...
do you know what,hes not a scouser so the loyalty of a scouser isnt and shouldnt be the bench mark here.
He support atleti,thats where his loyalty starts and stops !

for me its simple its a combination of people lied to him,the club was treading water ,fans were starting to criticise ,so other than a wage from the club  whats left here for him?
The funs gone out of it and he needed a change.
Add to that that the club fucked up the world cup for him and bang ...there you have it.
He has the rught to move on and we have the right to pissed off for leaving it till the last minute....or was that down to Chelsea knowing it would fuck us up a bit?.

we were lucky that things fell into place so quickly and it was poor newcastle that will feel the sting this season.
newcastle should come out of it ok but that wont be till next season.

who knows how its going to work out only time will tell but its dead easy to go around shouting screaming kicking up a fuss...the harder bit is to go against youre first reaction and that takes effort and self control.The classier fan is prepared to make those efforts like we have done collectively for donkys years,so why change now.
if you want to offload ,do it in support of our lads....lets face it ,why should our lads be deprived of positive chants...dont waste yer energy lads
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Sasquatch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: February 5, 2011, 03:25:47 pm »
had we auctioned him in the summer, Chelsea, Manchester City, Real, Ac, Inter, Barca, are you really saying 5 out of 6 of these would say no thanks?

Exactly. There is no way Torres wouldn't have had more options this comming summer than he had in January. He hasn't thought this through.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: February 5, 2011, 03:26:15 pm »

Yes without question. Not  doubt in my mind.

City might not be in the CL this season but will be next as Chelsea might not but also City have miles more money than Chelsea and next season and season after will win the league while Chelsea have a massive rebuilding job to do after this season.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: February 5, 2011, 03:28:44 pm »

Could have got more than 50 in a price war!

he'd never go to real, be like stevie g going to the mancs.
barca don't need him, no way would they fork out 50mil for him.
couldn't see ac or inter paying 50mil for him either.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #718 on: February 5, 2011, 03:29:30 pm »

Actually reading back this past page or so since you posted I take back what I said. You're correct.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #719 on: February 5, 2011, 03:30:01 pm »
Exactly. There is no way Torres wouldn't have had more options this comming summer than he had in January. He hasn't thought this through.

Why none of the Italian Clubs can afford him, he wouldn't go Real Madrid and Barca are under a mountain of debt. The significant thing for me was Aguero getting a new contract at Atletico after Chelsea switched their attention to Torres.

If Torres hadn't of gone to Chelsea then Abromovich would more than likely of spent the Torres money on Aguero.
"Ohhh-kayyy"