Author Topic: Fernando Torres On His Anfield Exit: A Complete Chapter From Ring of Fire:  (Read 22502 times)

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Pretty much this is how i feel about it now. Rush,Mcmanaman leaving really hurt at the time,Owen and Torres were tough but in comparison for me were easier to take.

Keegan leaving broke my heart at the time  :'(

Since that I've been much more philosophical about these as well, and concentrate on the good times. And with Torres in particular and how he synced with Gerrard boy did we witness one of the most lethal pairings of all times. And that song was and still is boss defined
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
“That was the toughest day,” he prefers to say. “I felt so sorry for Stevie and for Liverpool. [They] were so close and really deserved to win the league. If they had won, I think Liverpool would have created history. What a moment for the city. It was so hard seeing the people in the stands. I still feel the same way for them. No matter what has happened, I still love them. I know some of them are still angry but it will not change how I feel for them. Atlético is my club but I still support Liverpool and I want them to win every game, every trophy.”
:'(

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Great piece of writing btw, dissected our love affair and the breakup very well. If only...  Makes me hate  Cecil even more ;D
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Roy would've built his Liverpool empire if it wasn't for those meddling Australians.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
How far we fell in 18 months

Reina Agger Carra masch alonso Gerrard torres

No wonder he left, don't blame him.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yep you come to realise it's all rather silly. We're all grown adults for christ sake and at the end of it all, it truly is just a game of football. Some just take it far more seriously than they should. I always cringe when i see crap thrown at Owen, Sterling, Torres or whoever else. They left for another football team to achieve something more. Fuck me, it truly isn't that big act of a sin.

The only Liverpool player who turns my stomach is Diouf. Owen? Torres? I only just look back on their time in a red shirt with fondness.

Call me juvenile, idiotic etc. but i'll always view Owen as a fucking rat for signing for the mancs.

On Torres, i was fucking sick when he left us for Chelsea but as time has gone on, I don't hold any ill will towards him. I'm delighted his last memeory is the ground chnating his name at the testimonial.

What a player he was!!

Offline TheFuturesRed

• Main Stander
Just. Because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pobbwioAIO8

Christ, he was good wasn't he? I loved the goal against Monaco as I think it was the first full game I'd seen him play in (Live in Australia, didn't have Foxtel at the time etc).

I never hated the man after he left and understood why he did, and was so glad he never scored against us! Chelsea, though?!

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Christ, he was good wasn't he? I loved the goal against Monaco Marseille as I think it was the first full game I'd seen him play in (Live in Australia, didn't have Foxtel at the time etc).

I never hated the man after he left and understood why he did, and was so glad he never scored against us! Chelsea, though?!

;)
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline TheFuturesRed

• Main Stander
;)

Oh aye, thanks! Had a couple of beers :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:30:57 pm by TheFuturesRed »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Some of Stevie's passes for his goals were equally sublime. Forgot just how telepathic their understanding was.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
my son was heartbroken when he left
following December when writing his santa list he asked for no presents just for torres to come back
actually can now see why he left

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Oh aye, thanks! Had a couple of beers :)

I loved that goal as well. Watched it in a pub with my mates. Let out a really high pitched squeal when that went in. Everybody just turned round and stared at me. I was proper embarrassed. No goal has ever made me act that way since. Shows how good it was.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Time has healed it for me now. I love the man again.

I'm in the same boat. I am glad he had a good time with us and remembers it fondle, he gave me great memories too and he was fucking deadly with that red shirt on! Also the Torres song was ace!

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm in the same boat. I am glad he had a good time with us and remembers it fondle, he gave me great memories too and he was fucking deadly with that red shirt on! Also the Torres song was ace!

Oooohhhh I say...

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Oooohhhh I say...

I'm not even gonna fix that haha  ;D

Back to FT - the interview/write up really is good, he is still El Nino to me and I was VERY bitter when he went to Chelsea but his side of the story and time have made me love him again, he wanted to win, that's why a lot of people are footballers really and he admits it when he won (with the wrong team) it did not bring him the joy he thought he would get... he was happiest with us and Atletico playing with people who liked him and with fans who adored him, I respect his honesty!

He was so so fucking good with Stevie, sooooo good, I am glad I got to watch that!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
yeah - I'll disagree with him that Hodgson was shackled from managing the way he wanted to......
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:39:10 pm by newterp »

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
You can see that he really regretted leaving Liverpool and all but admitted that the trophies he won with Chelsea were not worth it. That is more than Owen ever admitted to, so I reckon this article will go a long way to rehabilitate his standing as a past hero of the club.

On his transfer fee, yes, 35M were wasted in signing Carroll, but the balance went towards signing perhaps the most talented striker ever to play for Liverpool - Luis Suarez. As well, his knee injury meant that he would never be the same player he was with us so it was not a total loss in selling him at all.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
yeah - I'll disagree with that Hodgson was shackled from managing the way he wanted to......

If he had been allowed to manage the club the way he wanted to, that may have ended with relegation LOL

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
Never begrudged him. Don't think he quite understood how much we'd hate to lose our star player to Chelsea of all clubs. It's not like he wanted to play for THEM specifically, I'm sure he'd have gone somewhere else had the offer materialised. He left the club that was everything to him to win trophies, why would he stick with us when we were in so much shit? The one who did, Stevie, is for that and other reasons our greatest ever player. Torres never fancied himself in that bracket.

He's not even in the same league as Owen. Torres has been class all those years as well.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
was great for us...as indeed was Owen...can't be arsed with grudges, prefer to recall the good times...life's too short....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
He's 32 now and out of contract in the summer.

Backup striker for a Simeone side can be the same for a Klopp side.  ;)

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Ahhhh the man-crush on this fella

Destroyed when he went to Chelsea

Over it now.

Was a great player for us
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great read and fair play to him, obviously loves us still and is not to keen on chelsea, he will do for me. Torres, Suarez and Stevie in the same team would have been fucking insane. wasn't to be.

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
Agreed too that going to Chelsea and going to United are two completely different things. Can never forgive Owen for that, or any player that would dare make that switch in the future.
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
was great for us...as indeed was Owen...can't be arsed with grudges, prefer to recall the good times...life's too short....

Spot on. Loved Torres, still do. Yeah he made a mistake moving to that lot, so what. Show me someone who says they haven'tt made a bad error in their life, and I'll show you a liar.  Hope if they end up playing Madrid in the CL, he has a big say in the game.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
Reading that article was almost cathartic . It makes me think that we were all robed of something in 2009/10/11 ...The players , Rafa , the fans ....what should have been the years we eventually won the league again , everything was shown to be a swindle ....i know H and G called the sale an 'epic swindle ' but us as fans were the ones truly swindled ....really sad

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Would like to read more about what he said about the australians in hodgsons time...the fuck was that all about?

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
So the inevitable question: Who was better - Suarez or Torres?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Suarez. He created his own chances at times, was injury free among other things

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Suarez, only just.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....

No Robbie Keane option?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Suarez for sure - he was scoring and assisting in ways that the PL hadn't seen in a long time. Didn't have the top speed or grace of Torres - but Suarez was crazy good. And crazy.

(and I watched the Torres compilation to remind myself of how good he was too).

Offline kevmck

• Kopite

Suarez, no question.  I've never seen a player that has floored me with the sheer level of almost effortless skill in a Liverpool shirt like he did.

But can you imagine what could have been with both of them in the team?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

How is this even a question? Suarez all day.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...

Suarez...which is no slight on Nando, as Luis in his final season with us was the best striker in the world.....both absolutely tremendous players who did the red shirt proud
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
My absolute favourite chant ever for that lad. It's an interesting story, and probably one that we'll never be able to fully get to the bottom of or understand from his perspective. It's a different world they operate in, and one that we as fans will probably never experience. But I do get the real feeling of regret coming from him, and it isn't crocodile tears. I genuinely think he was destroyed by leaving, but felt he had no choice given the direction the club was going. As he says, he was proven right. We've largely been in the wilderness for years now.

But anyway, life is too short for hate; I prefer to look back on his time with us and feel nothing but admiration for what he did. That partnership with Gerrard, man, it was something else entirely - we were lucky to witness it. I'd kill for him to be back in a red shirt.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan

In their prime? Tough call ...

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
How is this even a question? Suarez all day.

On ability and goal scoring genius? Suarez may shade it, but at his peak Torres was just as good. Not quite the trickster but equal on goal scoring quality.

Overall Torres shades it. Why? I like the way he felt a connection with the club and fans. Maybe Luis had that too and one day we will get his view on the Barca move.

---

Really enjoyed reading this and will be buying the book. Was gutted to see him leave and as soon as he left Chelsea I started following him again. Hope he gets to see out his days at Atletico.

The biggest takeaway from that article for me though has to be on the running of the club. Not just the recruitment strategy but the day to running of the club and interfacing with the manager and transfers.

Just imagine where we could have gone if we had Torres and Suarez in the same team. That's a dream team. Back then he was the best in Europe and I'm glad he gave part of his best years to the club. It's just a shame that we never picked up any silverware in the process as it could have been the difference to having him around for the rest of his career.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

The question was "Who was better?" Suarez doesn't shade it over Torres, He stomps all over him.

It's not about if you felt connection or not.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
The question was "Who was better?" Suarez doesn't shade it over Torres, He stomps all over him.

In your opinion. I guess that's why we have forums.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]