Author Topic: Liverpool set to transform Kirkby Academy  (Read 37877 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool set to transform Kirkby Academy
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2017, 09:57:41 pm »
Shopped and probably done by a Manc who was too fucking lazy/stupid to check how Melwood is spelt.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2017, 10:46:34 pm »
Just a thought on all this - I remember a few weeks or so back a thread going round re: the club banning/asking people to stay away from Melwood. There was a lot of speculation as to why; was it health and safety, club being disconnected etc.

Looks to me like we have our answer with this. I could be wildly mistaken but I'm guessing that with Melwood being sold they are going to have investors/developers on site who they wouldn't want getting obstructed and also if there was an accident it probably wouldn't help the club should there be any litigation/bad press as a result.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2017, 07:16:01 am »
It was due to the council having safety concerns about people gathering around the gate and on the road.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2017, 08:45:01 am »
It's a smart and logical move really. Logical because of size, facilities required, retaining the best talent, nurturing new ones all in one place.

Smart because if they sell Melwood, which does have a lot of sentimental value for fans around that area then I'm sure some business will pay a good amount. £50M for such a facility is not too bad. Smart again, because FSG know it will be far easier to sponsor this facility. ManU have theirs sponsored to the tune of £160M (by AON). Get back in the CL a few times, and suddenly we could have paid off this investment almost immediately with major profit to burn. Start re-negotiating or tendering the training tops sponsorship too.

Interestingly Spurs have actually spent a bit less than we will, and their's is superb. You can see all the training sites on this link. Melwood looks poor in comparison.

http://www.footballtraininggrounds.com/liverpool.html
Cheers for posting that link. Spurs and City's look amazing, hopefully our training complex will be along similar lines. Losing Melwood is a pain but there is far more to be gained with this move. Think this will give the youth players a bigger carrot too, they'll be seeing the progress and dreaming of playing there.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2017, 08:56:17 am »
It's a smart and logical move really. Logical because of size, facilities required, retaining the best talent, nurturing new ones all in one place.

Smart because if they sell Melwood, which does have a lot of sentimental value for fans around that area then I'm sure some business will pay a good amount. £50M for such a facility is not too bad. Smart again, because FSG know it will be far easier to sponsor this facility. ManU have theirs sponsored to the tune of £160M (by AON). Get back in the CL a few times, and suddenly we could have paid off this investment almost immediately with major profit to burn. Start re-negotiating or tendering the training tops sponsorship too.

Interestingly Spurs have actually spent a bit less than we will, and their's is superb. You can see all the training sites on this link. Melwood looks poor in comparison.

thats some website

thanks for that
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2017, 04:31:27 pm »
It was due to the council having safety concerns about people gathering around the gate and on the road.

Chance to design a meet and greet area at the academy now, area where the public are allowed in, away from the main entrance, properly managed, no cars, where the public can get autographs.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2017, 04:36:26 pm »
Chance to design a meet and greet area at the academy now, area where the public are allowed in, away from the main entrance, properly managed, no cars, where the public can get autographs.

Yep. Pretty sure Ayre confirmed this in the meeting with the Supporters Committee the other week.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2017, 04:39:09 pm »

Melwood is poor in comparison to our competitors. Yeah this needs doing but it's just as usual us trying to catch up years later to our competitors. We should still be going ahead with the ARE and this doesn't make up for knocking that on the head.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2017, 04:42:08 pm »
Melwood is poor in comparison to our competitors. Yeah this needs doing but it's just as usual us trying to catch up years later to our competitors.

As far as facilities go it's pretty top of the range, it's had a fair amount of money spent on it even over recent years. It's just a little on the small side compared to many of the more recently constructed training facilities.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2017, 05:14:06 pm »
Melwood is poor in comparison to our competitors. Yeah this needs doing but it's just as usual us trying to catch up years later to our competitors. We should still be going ahead with the ARE and this doesn't make up for knocking that on the head.

Who said the ARE has been knocked on the head?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2017, 05:23:06 pm »
JWH said they won't get a quick enough return on their investment to build it (i.e. it'll take longer to pay back than the corporate Main Stand).

Yet they'll spend £50m on a training facility which brings in even less return?

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2017, 05:25:58 pm »

They'll get the money from Melwood and they should be able to attract a sponsor for it given the money the Mancs have got for theirs, so it should pay for itself quite quickly.

We know we need everything on one site really in terms of the training and academy facilities.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2017, 05:39:13 pm »
JWH said they won't get a quick enough return on their investment to build it (i.e. it'll take longer to pay back than the corporate Main Stand).

Show me quotes of anyone related to LFC categorically stating the ARE isn't going to get done.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2017, 06:27:29 pm »

They literally said in the recent supporters committee notes released recently that they're still looking at the best ways to develop it and it is progressing at a similar rate to how the main stand did.

But bring your anti FSG bullshit into another thread yeah that sounds good.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2017, 07:55:12 pm »
Really happy about the move, Melwood was - from it's continual updates - a high quality facility but it lacked the space to implement everything that other teams with newer complexes could offer.

As a side note I wonder if Klopp will bring back his version of the sweat box - the footbonaut- that he had in Dortmund given there'd be the extra space for something that is novel but non the less an aide to the players.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2017, 11:44:22 pm »
A decent article with video and pics of Melwood (giving an impression of the size) can be found here mate - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-liverpool-kirkby-melwood-move-12636031

Jonathan Pearce in the above article alluded to the land possibly being sold off for housing - though hope the club and council could possibly come to some sort of arrangement for the grounds to be used by local club(s) or for the community as a whole - quality footy pitches with facilities for at a decent level are scarce in and around Liverpool (and most places these days).

Cheers.

The proposed expansion to Kirkby looks impressive.

As for Melwood, I think the council won't have the funds or resources to maintain it. I hope there is a plan in place to ensure that our legacy remains for the benefit of the community.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2017, 07:21:49 am »
Show me quotes of anyone related to LFC categorically stating the ARE isn't going to get done.

Still waiting for this by the way...

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2017, 08:33:17 am »

They're not stupid enough to rule it out categorically. After getting the planning permission they've stalled it though. The planning permission will run out.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2017, 08:37:06 am »
They're not stupid enough to rule it out categorically. After getting the planning permission they've stalled it though. The planning permission will run out.

So you've made it up then? Thanks for clarifying.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2017, 08:44:23 am »
they'll sell melwood, maybe get a sponsor and if a good player comes through then its paid for itself.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2017, 08:44:43 am »

CraigDS explained about the planning permission in the other thread, so go find it and you'll see you can't use that as a reason to believe the ARE won't get developed.

Edit: I think it was Craig. Him or El Lobo.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2017, 08:44:58 am »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2017, 08:45:54 am »

They only ever got outline, which arguably won't run out as was part of the planning for the Main.

Either way, it can run out as full planning needs submitting anyway. So same process needs to be followed regardless.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2017, 08:47:00 am »
they'll sell melwood, maybe get a sponsor and if a good player comes through then its paid for itself.

I can't see a sale and sponsor covering the cost. Plus the Academy isn't too shabby now so not sure it's anymore likely we'll create a good player to sell as suggested.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2017, 09:24:41 am »
I can't see a sale and sponsor covering the cost. Plus the Academy isn't too shabby now so not sure it's anymore likely we'll create a good player to sell as suggested.
I think it might generate more players given the first team will be closer. They'll work closer together. Although it is harder to break through now.

That said in recent seasons Ibe and smith came through and were sold for 21m despite being average.

The sale of melwood surely must cover a good chunk. A sponsor would too. We probably wouldn't get as much as united did but even half it would cover the cost. Aren't they making 160m over their sponsor deal?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2017, 09:30:17 am »
I think it might generate more players given the first team will be closer. They'll work closer together. Although it is harder to break through now.

That said in recent seasons Ibe and smith came through and were sold for 21m despite being average.

The sale of melwood surely must cover a good chunk. A sponsor would too. We probably wouldn't get as much as united did but even half it would cover the cost. Aren't they making 160m over their sponsor deal?

I imagine the majority of the sponsorship is for the training kit rather than the naming of the complex, I mean the kit gets a hell of a lot more coverage and the complex naming is probably just the cherry on the cake. The deal is what, £15m a year, which I don't think is a million miles away from what we got from Garuda (not sure what Betfair are paying now).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:35:40 am by CraigDS »

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2017, 09:34:18 am »
The Kirkby Dunkin' Donuts Subway McDonald's Training Ground.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2017, 09:40:34 am »
I imagine the majority of the sponsorship is for the training kit rather than the naming of the complex, I mean the kit gets a hell of a lot more coverage and the complex naming is probably just the cherry on the cake. The deal is what, £15m a year, which I don't think is a million miles away from what we got from Garuda (not sure what Betfair are paying now).
so say 10m a year,? Pays for itself in 5

Not even incl melwood sale

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2017, 09:43:14 am »
so say 10m a year,? Pays for itself in 5

Not even incl melwood sale

You're ignoring that we get something like £10m (Garuda was reported to be more like £15m) for the training kit as it is, so you can only really include what we'd get above this amount for the naming. I can't see it being more than a few million a season - probably about enough to pay the increased running costs!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2017, 12:52:15 pm »
You're ignoring that we get something like £10m (Garuda was reported to be more like £15m) for the training kit as it is, so you can only really include what we'd get above this amount for the naming. I can't see it being more than a few million a season - probably about enough to pay the increased running costs!

Maybe we can save a few bob on running costs if we only go for the 4star beds, instead of the 5star? ;)

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2017, 01:04:50 pm »
what was the sweatbox?

The sweatbox if I'm correct  was brought in by shankly it was timber on all four sides ( basically a square ) with circles ? Painted on ...you had to spend a certain amount of time in there kicking a ball on one side then the return to the next side and continue doing it all the way around ... A bit like kicking against a wall on four sides . Probably helped with ball control , accuracy , speed of thought , stamina and helped with the pass and move we were famous for ....high tech in the early 70s

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2017, 01:08:50 pm »
what was the sweatbox?

I remember seeing pictures of that as a kid. It was a load of boards built to make 4 walls in a square, and the players had to go in it an hit the ball against the walls. Like kicking a ball against a wall as a kid, designed to speed up your reactions.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2017, 01:12:53 pm »

It was reported in 2013 by the Telegraph that AON are paying £22.5 million a year for naming rights at Carrington (Mancs training ground).

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2017, 01:14:29 pm »
not ignoring anything mate. Just don't think well get a less return as you put it for a 50m outlay that will be reduced from 50m when we sell melwood.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2017, 01:15:25 pm »
Gazza and rob. Not what I was trying to get at. Was asking what klopps version of it is

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2017, 01:15:38 pm »
James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho 2m2 minutes ago
Klopp on move to Kirkby: "I really love to Melwood but football changes. Sometimes you have to set standards."

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho 1m1 minute ago
Klopp: "It's good that our owners give us the opportunity to make this big step in the future and bring Academy and 1st team together."

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2017, 01:16:35 pm »

Having the academy players training near the first team with more opportunities for them to mix should help their development, and at the very least makes it easier pitching the club to prospective talents. I don't think we'll see a significant rise in the amount of money made by selling our 'best but not quite good enough' talents but it should definitely have some impact, otherwise what would be the point?

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2017, 01:18:34 pm »
Some german clubs use this , not sure if the link works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhAyX81zP2M

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2017, 01:20:45 pm »
Some german clubs use this , not sure if the link works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhAyX81zP2M
that is awesome

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2017, 01:50:03 pm »
not ignoring anything mate. Just don't think well get a less return as you put it for a 50m outlay that will be reduced from 50m when we sell melwood.

Selling the Melwood sight won't bring in millions and millions it'll hardly make a dent in the £50m outlay.