Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 595252 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #9920 on: January 13, 2021, 12:31:59 pm »
Seventeen players on the Dallas Stars test positive for COVID :o

:o indeed!

3 games on the tellybox here this evening starting at 5.30pm east coast time with a nice battle of Pennsylvania!

I shall then be cheering on the Chicago Blackhawks as they take on Tampa Bay, in that odd geographical division.

The other one (Blues - Avs) will be too late a start to watch here.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9921 on: January 13, 2021, 06:12:57 pm »
These games are going to be exhausting especially for the Canadian teams. The teams in the Northeast will benefit from lack of travel. The NHL have been wanting to push rivalries for years. They've got it now, unless they cancel games left and right like the NBA

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9922 on: January 13, 2021, 06:21:55 pm »
These games are going to be exhausting especially for the Canadian teams. The teams in the Northeast will benefit from lack of travel. The NHL have been wanting to push rivalries for years. They've got it now, unless they cancel games left and right like the NBA

they are, although they have tried to make it so teams travelling west and or east, end up playing back to back games vs the same team.

Whereas the eastern one is less travel, it’s soing to be a madly tough division.

Whereas I wish of course that sports could be normal - as it’d mean we are no longer going through this madness, the one side of I do like is that there won’t be any playing teams from the opposite conference.

NHL may want rivalries - but it’s the league that has destroyed them over the last 15-20 years with their ridiculous expansion - and cutting down of inter division games.

From a Rangers supporting perspective, I wish they could just played inter-conference and maybe original six. Only non eastern teams I have any interest in seeing the Rangers play during a regular season is Chicago and Detroit. 

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9923 on: January 23, 2021, 04:46:39 pm »
Laine deal works out great for Columbus (maybe not so much for Laine with Torts).

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9924 on: January 24, 2021, 07:35:23 pm »
Obviously I have never worked with the man but Torts seems to have calmed down a bit in recent years. He’s doing a great job with Columbus as well, I remember the mess they were in when he took over.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9925 on: February 14, 2021, 11:30:20 pm »
Just finished watching Penguins - Capitals. Very entertaining game with a lot of speed and skill on display. I’ve expressed my frustration with hockey in front of empty areas but with the NFL season done and us playing poorly, this might be the time to dive into the NHL again.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9926 on: February 14, 2021, 11:36:32 pm »
Just finished watching Penguins - Capitals. Very entertaining game with a lot of speed and skill on display. I’ve expressed my frustration with hockey in front of empty areas but with the NFL season done and us playing poorly, this might be the time to dive into the NHL again.

I’ve watched all the Rangers games. And maybe a couple others.

The biggest drama of the season was the Tony De Angelo thing :lmao

But, at least something good came from that - he’s played his last game for the Rangers, and I never have to see his stupid face sullying the image of the team again.

Otherwise, they are struggling a bit, Mika Zibanejad just can’t score - I think maybe the tolls of covid is affecting him.

The brightest part has been seeing K’andre Miller come into the team and just take to the NHL so comfortably. Our best players so far are Panarin (but he is now injured), Miller, Adam Fox, Pavel Buchnevich and Phil DeGuiseppe. Not exactly a parade of stars bar Artemi! Although Adam Fox is quickly becoming a star, already the best d-man on the team.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9927 on: February 20, 2021, 10:11:31 pm »
The absolute clusterfuck of the outdoors game at Lake Tahoe is ridiculous :lmao

Now they have had to stop playing after 1 period cos the ice is melting, and they will re-start at 9pm local time (so midnight east coast).

Why is it EVERY year they play these outdoor games in the daytime - and over and over again the sun is an issue and they have to push back the start times - wait till it’s dark you absolute clowns.

Gary Bettman is such a dick.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9928 on: February 20, 2021, 10:38:27 pm »
The absolute clusterfuck of the outdoors game at Lake Tahoe is ridiculous :lmao

Now they have had to stop playing after 1 period cos the ice is melting, and they will re-start at 9pm local time (so midnight east coast).

Why is it EVERY year they play these outdoor games in the daytime - and over and over again the sun is an issue and they have to push back the start times - wait till it’s dark you absolute clowns.

Gary Bettman is such a dick.
They wanted the really nice tv setting in the afternoon. You cant have the success if you don't try. It didn't work they adjusted yea it sucks. sun is always the issue with Ice. It worked out pretty well in Dallas last year when they had the outdoor game.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9929 on: February 20, 2021, 10:59:50 pm »
If they wanted scenery + the cold, they should have just gone to Lake Louise in Alberta

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9930 on: February 20, 2021, 11:04:54 pm »
If they wanted scenery + the cold, they should have just gone to Lake Louise in Alberta
Issue is covid protocol, and Canadian government stuff with time of national park etc. Lake Tahoe is not that warm this time of year it just the sun. Sun the issue.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9931 on: February 20, 2021, 11:52:33 pm »
They wanted the really nice tv setting in the afternoon. You cant have the success if you don't try. It didn't work they adjusted yea it sucks. sun is always the issue with Ice. It worked out pretty well in Dallas last year when they had the outdoor game.

it makes them a bit of a laughing stock, it’s such a bad look on national tv, it’s happend so often. 

Sure, theres always a possibility of issues with these games, but these are avoidable in part.

To do it for the nice setting is such a poor and frankly laughable reason - looks really great seeing loads of people trying to rub the ice into shape with a load of pucks while the hosts yap on camera for ages before finally calling it a day for a 6 hour break. They can have plenty of build up during daylight, have the game under floodlights, it’ll still be cool.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9932 on: February 21, 2021, 01:08:32 am »
it makes them a bit of a laughing stock, it’s such a bad look on national tv, it’s happend so often. 

Sure, theres always a possibility of issues with these games, but these are avoidable in part.

To do it for the nice setting is such a poor and frankly laughable reason - looks really great seeing loads of people trying to rub the ice into shape with a load of pucks while the hosts yap on camera for ages before finally calling it a day for a 6 hour break. They can have plenty of build up during daylight, have the game under floodlights, it’ll still be cool.
The winter classic in 2020 was in Dallas, it wasnt sunny though still warmer then freezing. They done games in LA(at night). Yea they took a risk and it failed but yea they wanted a little more clouds or even snowing there would have helped but cant control weather only thing you can control is the time of day of doing it. They where able to plan as but not as well been in the past because of covid issues on visiting site etc.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9933 on: February 23, 2021, 04:56:17 pm »
Crazy stuff going on with Artemi Panarin at the moment. He’s had to take a leave of absence from the Rangers, the theory being he’s fearful for his family after a political hit job in the press back home.

A former KHL coach, ex NHL goon and known lunatic and Putin fanboy Andrei Nazarov has made claims in the press that Panarin beat up a girl 10 years ago in Latvia - so far there is nothing to suggest this is true.

Panarin is a vocal critic of Putin and very recently showed his support to Alexi Navalny,

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9934 on: February 24, 2021, 12:04:13 pm »
Horrible news about Panarin. Must be horrible to not even be safe when you live abroad.

The North division is quite some thing, isn’t it? Even Edmonton are playing decently. Buffalo has to be the worst run team in the league in recent years. I’d feel sorry for Jack Eichel, if he didn’t look like the standard high school bully from the teen movies of my youth.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9935 on: February 24, 2021, 07:57:14 pm »
Seems extremely knee jerk of the Habs to fire Claude Julien. Other than Toronto, I think all of the Canadian teams have gone through losing spells. Some have pulled themselves out (Edmonton, Winnipeg), some appear to be stuck (Ottawa, Vancouver) and some were in the middle (Calgary, Montreal). Perhaps, something was going on behind the scenes with Julien. I know when we played them, they were unstoppable.

If Edmonton had a good reliable goalie, we would be amazing. 
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #9936 on: February 24, 2021, 08:04:30 pm »
Always wondered why Canadian teams haven't won since Montreal did it way back against my beloved Kings.

Used to think it was the strength of the Canadian dollar not being able to attract the players, but not sure anymore as clubs considered small have won it since.

It's been absolutely ages for Canadian teams. I know the pressure in Toronto (imagine the Habs too) is insane, the expectation is through the roof every season.

Who knows though, in other sports the BoSox, Cubs, Dodgers, our own Mighty Red Men have all lifted that huge burden off their shoulders after decades in the wilderness, perhaps some day one of these teams can do it?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9937 on: February 24, 2021, 08:07:21 pm »
Seems extremely knee jerk of the Habs to fire Claude Julien. Other than Toronto, I think all of the Canadian teams have gone through losing spells. Some have pulled themselves out (Edmonton, Winnipeg), some appear to be stuck (Ottawa, Vancouver) and some were in the middle (Calgary, Montreal). Perhaps, something was going on behind the scenes with Julien. I know when we played them, they were unstoppable.

If Edmonton had a good reliable goalie, we would be amazing.

Yeah, weird that news with Claude Julien. Ottawa senators got him fired!

Seems kneejerk indeed but that’s the Habs.  Wonder which French speaking coach is next in line for the job, they seem to go round in circles.

Dominique Ducharme has been named interim coach.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9938 on: February 25, 2021, 11:01:14 am »
Always wondered why Canadian teams haven't won since Montreal did it way back against my beloved Kings.

Used to think it was the strength of the Canadian dollar not being able to attract the players, but not sure anymore as clubs considered small have won it since.

I think pressure has a lot to do with it. It's telling that neither of the two fishbowl teams (Toronto/Montreal) haven't reached the final in the past two decades

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9939 on: February 27, 2021, 07:46:37 am »
Watched Rangers for the first time this season  yesterday and they put in a solid performance. That Lafreniere kid has some sweet moves.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9940 on: February 27, 2021, 02:20:32 pm »
Watched Rangers for the first time this season  yesterday and they put in a solid performance. That Lafreniere kid has some sweet moves.

I can guaratee you that this isn’t how the Rangers have been playing most of the season  :P

But it does show that how they can play.  It was all the more impressive as it was without Panarin. And the injuries and covid losses (Kakko now missing a few games), have hampered them a lot too of course but still, they have put in some good performances and not been rewarded too. Just a bit too sloppy in some others.

Lafreniere is something, people may look at his stats so far and wonder, but they don’t tell the story. He’s some player, that one last night which hit the bar, great move, and very typical of him, hopefully they start going in soon. So strong too, he already looks like he is built for this league.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9941 on: February 27, 2021, 03:37:57 pm »
Funny you mention that crossbar shot, that was one of the reasons I made that post. It’s easy to be blinded by stats. From the ONE game I’ve watched, he looked like the real deal. I’ve never really followed the Rangers apart from that season they went to the Final. St. Louis, Zuccarello..they played great hockey.

Going for Edmonton - Toronto tonight. Should be good.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 03:39:33 pm by dalarr »

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9942 on: February 28, 2021, 02:41:44 am »
God damn it.  Leafs were class in every department. Never even gave up a penalty.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9943 on: February 28, 2021, 10:57:26 am »
God damn it.  Leafs were class in every department. Never even gave up a penalty.
Without Andersen and Mattews as well. I hope they make a deep playoff run this season.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9944 on: March 4, 2021, 03:55:24 am »
So how good is the North Division? Is it just Toronto and a bunch of pretenders?

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9945 on: March 7, 2021, 12:09:27 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/w33pvpyTguQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/w33pvpyTguQ</a>

:shocked

Take a bow son, take a bow. Unreal.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9946 on: March 8, 2021, 04:19:01 pm »
Think the Hurricanes will be my girlfriend team for the rest of the season. They have such an energy to their play. It’s still relatively early but the playoff picture in the central division is shaping up. Unless Columbus and Nashville can get massive streaks going, the current top-4 will go into the playoffs.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9947 on: March 13, 2021, 07:18:43 pm »
After a snooze fest of a first period this Rangers - Bruins game has finally picked up some pace. Love me some early hockey!
Rangers have a pretty exciting future, IF their youngsters turn out to be the real deal.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:23:33 pm by dalarr »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9948 on: March 18, 2021, 02:26:44 pm »
After a snooze fest of a first period this Rangers - Bruins game has finally picked up some pace. Love me some early hockey!
Rangers have a pretty exciting future, IF their youngsters turn out to be the real deal.

Yeah Rangers for sure have the basis there now, best crop of youngsters they probably ever had. Despite the up and down season so far, it’s fun to watch them, because of how young the team is, plus added bonus of Artemi Panarin being Artemi Panarin game in game out now that hes back  ;D

But Adam Fox is a star in the making, he’s one of the ‘older’ youngsters at 23. K’andre Miller has made quite an impact in his first season, yes, makes basic mistakes, but he’s clocking up good minutes vs other teams top lines already. Ryan Lindgren too is impressive, and Libor Hajak coming along nicely too, so a young group of d-men making an impact.

Lafrenierre has the talent, needs to put much together though of course, I get the feeling Kakko is going to have to change his game a bit, maybe he’ll end up more a two way player, he is clocking up good ice time, just not putting points up. Filip Chytil for me is the most impressive of all though, added power and toughness to his game now too.  Good news for Rangers too is that Vitaly Kravtsov will be able to play very soon, he’s in NY but in quarntine at the moment.  Plus there’s  Nils Lundkvist to come too, so that draft of 2018 (K’andre Miller also from that 1st round), looks like it could be quite the success.

Anyway, last night, nuts game at Madison Square Garden, ALL the Rangers coaching staff where put on covid protocol yesterday, apparently David Quinn tested postitive, so hopefully he is ok.  So Hartford Wolfpack’s head coach Kris Knoblauch, and his assistat Gord Murphy travellled down to NYC in the afternoon after taking the Wolfpack’s practice, and they along with Rangers assistant GM Chris Drury took over coaching duties - and the Rangers went out and hammered the Flyers 9-0 :lmao

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9949 on: March 18, 2021, 04:14:28 pm »
That Rangers-Flyers result is even more hilarious under the circumstances

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9950 on: March 18, 2021, 05:41:09 pm »
Do you guys feel that there have been more blowouts and more high scoring games this year? Anecdotally it feel like that to me. Toronto has thrashed us. We thrash Ottawa, and on occasion Calgary. Arguably, in many of those games, the other team is not playing so bad as the score suggests.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9951 on: March 18, 2021, 08:16:40 pm »
Kris Knoblauch? As in garlic? That’s hilarious.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9952 on: March 18, 2021, 08:32:50 pm »
Kris Knoblauch? As in garlic? That’s hilarious.

indeed!

There’s a Chuck Knoblauch too (well, former baseball player rather than hockey!). It’s a fantastic name. Garlic is of course an accepted name in english too, just sounds so much better in German.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9953 on: March 18, 2021, 11:41:53 pm »
Do you guys feel that there have been more blowouts and more high scoring games this year? Anecdotally it feel like that to me. Toronto has thrashed us. We thrash Ottawa, and on occasion Calgary. Arguably, in many of those games, the other team is not playing so bad as the score suggests.

I'm guessing familarity might play into this

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9954 on: March 24, 2021, 04:20:48 pm »
https://media.nhl.com/public/news/14768?sf140812810=1

The NHL has sacrificed Peel, who was already retiring in April, in order to avoid doing anything constructive about the ref problem. Why not fire Sutherland too? He was caught on the mic agreeing with Peel!

Do you have any hopes that the reffing is going to get more consistent with Peel's firing? I don't.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9955 on: March 24, 2021, 06:12:49 pm »
Can't see more leaving, but surely reforms are in the works?

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9956 on: March 24, 2021, 11:11:12 pm »
The refereeing issue is nothing new, I used to see/hear how McCreary would even up calls, and it was shrugged off at the time.

It happens in footy too; I vaguely recall an interview by Collina about giving a yellow to either team in the 1st 9 minutes of the 2002 World Cup Final to settle the teams and then not give one for the rest of the final.

Whether subconscious or not, refs are human, make mistakes and in some cases earlier calls will influence their decision later on in the game. In an ideal world it shouldn't happen of course, but it does happen.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9957 on: March 25, 2021, 07:36:09 am »
Edmonton are doing ok for now. It would be great to see McDavid and Draisaitl play in the playoffs for once.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9958 on: April 4, 2021, 04:29:26 am »
19 COVID cases on the Canucks (16 players + 3 staff). Brazilian variant. Not good.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9959 on: April 4, 2021, 07:47:47 pm »
Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
Number of positive cases climbing within the Vancouver Canucks. More than 20 players/coaches combined have tested positive. Variant symptoms include vomiting, cramping and dehydration. Family members are getting it. Scary situation. Next 5-7 days will determine scheduling.

Also a few reports suggesting medical staff have been giving some players IVs at home