Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 393637 times)

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
Re: The Attack
« Reply #1760 on: December 24, 2014, 02:24:16 am »
It's interesting to see Rodgers persisting with Markovic and Henderson as faux-wingbacks in a three centre back system. For me, that's what's helped us look better the last few games. It plays to our strengths - we've got Henderson allowed to be the an engine and making use of his all-round ability in attack and defence, we've got Markovic out on the wing with lots of space which he wasn't being given when expected to play as more of a forward, and in playing both Coutinho and Lallana in relatively narrow but free roles, it plays to their ability to manipulate the ball in tight spaces, link up with Sterling, and their ability to help Gerrard and Lucas' lack of mobility by nature of being extra bodies in the midfield. It also alleviates the lack of a natural defensive game for both of them (plus Gerrard) because really, at any given time, as long as at least one of them remembers to drop back and help out, it works.

It's given a lot of fluidity to our attacks - in Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling, Markovic and Henderson, we've got a nice attacking unit who are all technically gifted, unselfish and creative and really, all that's missing is an out and out finisher.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1761 on: December 24, 2014, 02:43:42 am »
Goes for the negative comments then too...

Absolutely right. If someone watches a player in just one game and concludes he's shite, then that person is a bad bellend.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #1762 on: December 24, 2014, 02:51:00 am »
Well if Borini is going in January, and Sturridge is this injury prone, there is no way that we arent buying a striker this January. Not spending would be a bigger crime than spending, because come May, say Sturridge has more recurrences, we arent getting into the top 8 with Lambert and Balotelli.

We wont be throwing 20-30-40m, but Im sure we are looking at some decent striker/loan/recall from loan in the case of Origi.
Selling Borini, and a couple others is going to give us some money in the bank.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1763 on: December 24, 2014, 05:52:27 am »
Well if Borini is going in January, and Sturridge is this injury prone, there is no way that we arent buying a striker this January. Not spending would be a bigger crime than spending, because come May, say Sturridge has more recurrences, we arent getting into the top 8 with Lambert and Balotelli.

We wont be throwing 20-30-40m, but Im sure we are looking at some decent striker/loan/recall from loan in the case of Origi.
Selling Borini, and a couple others is going to give us some money in the bank.

Not to get too far off topic  but last season our owners failed to invest in January when we had a great chance of securing fourth. We didn't strength the team and it may have cost us the title in hindsight because we could've have had better options than Moses and Aspas against Palace and Chelsea.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1764 on: December 24, 2014, 06:14:13 am »
Not to get too far off topic  but last season our owners failed to invest in January when we had a great chance of securing fourth. We didn't strength the team and it may have cost us the title in hindsight because we could've have had better options than Moses and Aspas against Palace and Chelsea.

See when I look at the period I interpret it as may have cost us the title in hindsight may have been the main reason we nearly won the title, because instead of destabalising a solid group, like we did every transfer window under kenny and rodgers prior to that, we kept it stable, and lo and behold, we played to our potential

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #1765 on: December 24, 2014, 06:44:27 am »
Fuck. There'd better be a gem of a striker up for sale this January.
*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1766 on: December 24, 2014, 06:53:25 am »
Can anybody tell me what Sturbridge is listening to  ;D

sound of silence

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #1767 on: December 24, 2014, 07:12:37 am »
See when I look at the period I interpret it as may have cost us the title in hindsight may have been the main reason we nearly won the title, because instead of destabalising a solid group, like we did every transfer window under kenny and rodgers prior to that, we kept it stable, and lo and behold, we played to our potential
But circumstances were different. In our first XI last year, we had a team capable of winning all matches, if they stepped it up one notch. This year, our first eleven lacks two major quality players- a striker(barring the injured Sturridge) and a GK- without whom, regardless of how well our defence and midfield plays, we arent going to win games.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #1768 on: December 24, 2014, 07:19:47 am »
Fuck. There'd better be a gem of a striker up for sale this January.

There's a player called Lacazette that RAWK scouts have been hyping since the summer.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1769 on: December 24, 2014, 08:22:24 am »
There's a player called Lacazette that RAWK scouts have been hyping since the summer.

Hardly wrong though were we  ;D doubt he would move in Jan anyway

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1770 on: December 24, 2014, 08:32:44 am »
I actually like the 3421 and we actually have the majority of the players for the system..

New Keeper

NewCenterHalf Lovren Sakho

Sterling Henderson Can Markovic

Lallana Coutinho

Sturridge

Average age of that squad is about 23.. You've got pace/guile/energy out wide, You've got 2 creative players central who can drift wide and link the play, your central midfielders have the energy to get up and down the field, your central defenders are all front foot, aggressive, excellent 1 v 1 defenders. The whole team is one that can press/harry and play at a high tempo.

Just needs Rodgers to stop the panic and drop his old guard.

Offline joe ®

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1771 on: December 24, 2014, 08:41:04 am »
Appears to be some mistake, you've included Lovren in there and said the defence is made up of excellent 1v1 front foot defenders. Lovren isn't an excellent anything, except maybe an excellent way to waste £20m.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1772 on: December 24, 2014, 08:42:37 am »
Appears to be some mistake, you've included Lovren in there and said the defence is made up of excellent 1v1 front foot defenders. Lovren isn't an excellent anything, except maybe an excellent way to waste £20m.

Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him.

Offline Rouge

• Legacy Fan
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #1773 on: December 24, 2014, 09:13:31 am »
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him.

Thats a dangerous dangerous game you are playing there friend

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #1774 on: December 24, 2014, 09:29:30 am »
Thats a dangerous dangerous game you are playing there friend
For what it's worth, I agree.
I will not describe Skrtel as a headless chicken, but I'm sure Lovren would do well with a partner that can complement him and a better keeper.
Sure Skrtel can also, but as things stand, I'm sure Lovren(possibly Sakho) is the future of Brendan's vision of our defense.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1775 on: December 24, 2014, 11:36:24 am »
But circumstances were different. In our first XI last year, we had a team capable of winning all matches, if they stepped it up one notch. This year, our first eleven lacks two major quality players- a striker(barring the injured Sturridge) and a GK- without whom, regardless of how well our defence and midfield plays, we arent going to win games.

No arguments from me.

Mind you, we only are in that situation because we decided to shake things up in the summer, rather than just keeping it stable around that successful first 11 (and I actually have no specific issues with any of the purchases - more this constant belief that you'll get better by changing the squad, rather than trying to solidify it).

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1776 on: December 24, 2014, 11:54:46 am »
I actually like the 3421 and we actually have the majority of the players for the system..

New Keeper

Lallana Coutinho

Sturridge

Average age of that squad is about 23.. You've got pace/guile/energy out wide, You've got 2 creative players central who can drift wide and link the play, your central midfielders have the energy to get up and down the field, your central defenders are all front foot, aggressive, excellent 1 v 1 defenders. The whole team is one that can press/harry and play at a high tempo.

Don't like Hendo at CM there. Much rather Lucas or Allen with their defensive nous and ability to shift the ball quickly
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:56:54 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1777 on: December 24, 2014, 12:00:43 pm »

Definitely will quote , cheers  ;)
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #1778 on: December 24, 2014, 12:08:39 pm »
It's a risky statement re Lovren, yet I feel the same pretty much. He has the attributes to be an outstanding cb. The right partner/s and system would see him perform a lot better imo.
If were starting with one up top, which I haven't felt comfortable with when it has been Balo or Lambert, I feel we need all three of Coutinho, Lallana and Marko in there somewhere.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1779 on: December 24, 2014, 12:40:43 pm »
Sakho/lovren did have the makings of a good partnership but it was ripped apart before it could settle
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
  • Kick Out The Jams, Motherfuckers!
« Reply #1780 on: December 24, 2014, 12:51:35 pm »

New Keeper

Lallana Coutinho

Sturridge

Yeah, and you've got no decent defensive midfielder! That team is crying out for the inclusion of 27 year old Lucas Leiva, mate. (Or, New £25 Million DM.  ;))
"Reuniting Status Quo would be like trying to get your own dick up your arse - impossible."
St Francis De Rossi

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1781 on: December 24, 2014, 01:05:14 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing Wisdom in a back 3 for us, also Ilori coming back next season could become a good option-

Lovren in particular has a lot of convincing to do, ref Skrtel I just don't think his game suits our style of play or the partners he has at the club, he is not comfortable enough with the ball at his feet when he is pressed but his commitment and effort can't be questioned and he is one of the few set piece threats we have

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #1782 on: December 24, 2014, 01:30:49 pm »

Yep I'm in the same camp - I'm convinced he'll come good once the back line is stabilized.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

R.I.P.

Offline bodhisattva

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1783 on: December 24, 2014, 01:32:09 pm »

New Keeper

Lallana Coutinho

Sturridge

Was thinking earlier once Sturridge is fit it'd be interesting to see Sterling and Markovic as the wide players in this formation with Henderson back in the middle.
I would play a proper DM alongside Henderson though and give him more license to get forward, im not sure if Can is that player.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:42:45 pm by bodhisattva »

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1784 on: December 24, 2014, 03:29:21 pm »
Sakho/lovren did have the makings of a good partnership but it was ripped apart before it could settle
I think this deserves a mention, simply because months ago we tried it once along with another partnership on the other end of the pitch and we did very well for the one game we had it.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1785 on: December 24, 2014, 04:11:55 pm »
I think this deserves a mention, simply because months ago we tried it once along with another partnership on the other end of the pitch and we did very well for the one game we had it.

think we also saw in that game why it would also be a problem.

also i wouldnt judge that as a spurs side who had taken on pottechinos ideas at all at that point..
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1786 on: December 24, 2014, 04:36:38 pm »

Lovren is the headless chicken, not Skrtel.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1787 on: December 24, 2014, 04:39:53 pm »

It's the one partnership that allows us to squeeze the pitch more and play higher
In the summer I wrongly assumed Lovren had been bought to play with Sakho as our first choice pair for that reason

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1788 on: December 24, 2014, 04:56:58 pm »
think we also saw in that game why it would also be a problem.

also i wouldnt judge that as a spurs side who had taken on pottechinos ideas at all at that point..
The defensive partnership, or the attacking one?  Besides, the argument always seems to be that results matter, not much else.  And we banged them for 3 at their place.  So, if it's not worth looking at again, then Rodgers has changed some ideas and fair enough.  But to discount it? Nah.  We played well and got the result. 

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1789 on: December 24, 2014, 05:45:41 pm »
Lovren isn't an excellent anything, except maybe an excellent way to waste £20m.

;D

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1790 on: December 26, 2014, 06:38:14 pm »
Yay, we finally have a player on 4 goals!...

Now let's bring the goal difference to zero.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1791 on: December 28, 2014, 06:54:47 am »
Would like to see Markovic in the front-3 personally.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Rouge

• Legacy Fan
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #1792 on: December 28, 2014, 09:17:22 am »
Would like to see Markovic in the front-3 personally.
You mean instead of Lallana, because Phil and Sterling are irreplaceable at the moment

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1793 on: December 30, 2014, 12:20:32 am »
Sums up the improvement in the past few games:

Offline Zephyr

• Thinks of RAWK whilst pleasuring himself
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1794 on: December 30, 2014, 12:25:23 am »
Lallana needs to start more after today's performance. Brilliant game today.
Mint-Berry Crunch!

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1795 on: December 30, 2014, 12:34:27 am »

Maybe harsh after all the goals he scored last season  :D

But maybe bang on. His partner's lack of awareness and concentration has contributed to Lovren's uncertainty. He was good at Southampton because he had an organised defense around him.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #1796 on: December 30, 2014, 12:58:56 am »
Lallana's a lovely player - as I've said from the very start. Hope he can start scoring more regularly too as I really do think he can be the goalscoring midfielder that Rodgers has craved since he first came to Anfield.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

R.I.P.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1797 on: December 30, 2014, 01:01:15 am »
Oh boy, it's finally clicking. Lovely stuff today.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1798 on: December 30, 2014, 04:19:34 am »
Coutinho is just ridiculous when he's on his game, which is happening with greater consistency the older he gets.  Archetypal Brazilian #10.  Sublime touch.  And Lallana just glided past everyone to slot that one in.  In about half a second I thought to myself "Shit, he's going to have to take it on with his left...no worry, he's two footed."  BANG.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1799 on: December 30, 2014, 06:41:14 am »
Coutinho is just ridiculous when he's on his game, which is happening with greater consistency the older he gets.  Archetypal Brazilian #10.  Sublime touch.  And Lallana just glided past everyone to slot that one in.  In about half a second I thought to myself "Shit, he's going to have to take it on with his left...no worry, he's two footed."  BANG.

To me i feel the difference over the past few games is Coutinho is starting to find some genuine form. He's our most important player at the moment, even more than raheem. Some of his footwork is magic.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:44:26 am by theMilkman »
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish