Author Topic: Fernando Torres  (Read 584374 times)

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fernando Torres
« Reply #7360 on: June 14, 2019, 07:11:56 pm »
Why would you be sad?

He didn’t go to Japan to further his career  ;D
Yes, he went there for the money, but you'd still hope to see more from him in a weak league. But I wasn't just talking about Japan, I mean he's been a shadow of his former self for years now, probably since he went to Chelsea in the first place, with a few decent spells in between. He's the first great Liverpool striker of my lifetime (I was alive at the tail-end of Fowler and Owen's time here but too young to really appreciate them) and one of my favourite players of all time, so yeah - I do think it's sad how far he dropped.

Offline Claude Cat

• Sworn Enemy of Pawed Dog!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7361 on: June 14, 2019, 11:23:51 pm »
I mean he's been a shadow of his former self for years now, probably since he went to Chelsea in the first place

The signs were there when he was still with us near the end.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7362 on: June 15, 2019, 02:50:23 am »
He did well enough for Atletico when he came back, in the first couple of seasons and at least he won silverware with them by the time it was all said and done.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7363 on: June 18, 2019, 12:34:48 pm »
Yes, he went there for the money, but you'd still hope to see more from him in a weak league. But I wasn't just talking about Japan, I mean he's been a shadow of his former self for years now, probably since he went to Chelsea in the first place, with a few decent spells in between. He's the first great Liverpool striker of my lifetime (I was alive at the tail-end of Fowler and Owen's time here but too young to really appreciate them) and one of my favourite players of all time, so yeah - I do think it's sad how far he dropped.

I think I’d be sad if he was smashing it in Japan and still had ‘it’
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7364 on: June 18, 2019, 01:42:35 pm »
I think I’d be sad if he was smashing it in Japan and still had ‘it’

In the Richard Keys sense or just generally?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7365 on: June 18, 2019, 01:54:23 pm »
The signs were there when he was still with us near the end.
It got glossed over because we had bigger problems on and off field, but by his final season here he was a shadow of the player he once was. The injuries took their toll, he went from electrifying to ponderous.

Torres in his debut season might be the most I've ever enjoyed watching a single player. After years of failures in the transfer market I can't describe how exciting it was to have a genuinely world class centre forward who terrorised defences. By the time he left though he was heavy footed and unthreatening.

Never forgiven him for leaving us for Chelsea. That's not to say I have any grudge against him, I just have no connection.  He's in the same camp as someone like Suarez. In both cases the players considered Liverpool a stepping stone.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7366 on: June 18, 2019, 04:44:55 pm »
It got glossed over because we had bigger problems on and off field, but by his final season here he was a shadow of the player he once was. The injuries took their toll, he went from electrifying to ponderous.

Torres in his debut season might be the most I've ever enjoyed watching a single player. After years of failures in the transfer market I can't describe how exciting it was to have a genuinely world class centre forward who terrorised defences. By the time he left though he was heavy footed and unthreatening.

Never forgiven him for leaving us for Chelsea. That's not to say I have any grudge against him, I just have no connection.  He's in the same camp as someone like Suarez. In both cases the players considered Liverpool a stepping stone.

I think Suarez considered us a stepping stone more than Torres. Suarez was always going to end up Spain, where as I think Torres left out of frustration and the mess we were in at the time.

I haven't forgiven him for leaving for Chelsea, I think he panicked in the end.

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #7367 on: June 18, 2019, 09:42:31 pm »
Fernando Torres discusses Liverpool's appearance in the Champions League Final (in English);

Fernando Torres : "Klopp est génial"

Goal France
Published on 30 May 2019
Fernando Torres, l'ancien attaquant de Liverpool, avoue dans un entretien exclusif pour Goal / DAZN qu'il aurait adoré évoluer sous les ordres de Jürgen Klopp chez les Reds. Et il explique pourquoi. #UCLfinal  🎬

https://youtu.be/DNFatm8-3Ds
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #7368 on: June 19, 2019, 01:43:42 pm »

Torres was actually banging them in left, right and centre his final few games for us. Granted, it was against Bolton, Blackpool and Wolves, but a noticeable improvement was found there. I was really surprised when he dropped off right when switching teams.

Either way, as for the final statement, I think it's not true at all. Torres signed when we'd come from two Champions League finals in two years, explicitly to win the Premier League and the Champions League. Atlético were rather mediocre at the time, he'd never go to Real and Barcelona would also have been an unlikely transfer to someone as Madrileño as Torres is. Abroad was his only option for winning things and had the clowns not swindled the money and we'd been able to have the players Rafa wanted such as Villa partnering him up front, then it would've been a different story altogether. As it was, the trifecta of the Alonso/Mascherano departures, the Rafa departure and what to Torres felt like a lack of ambition broke the final straw of the camel. While it's easy to say that he shouldn't have gone to Chelsea, for us to sell him for £50 million at that time, the way we did, was one of the best moves ever.

The Torres + Babel sales paid for Suárez and Carroll and then we sold those for about £90 million in total - in other words crucial money later added to the balance that resulted in Firmino, Mané and Salah arriving here. They cost a total of £105 million or thereabouts, almost £90 million of which you could trace back to letting Torres leave. While Sterling was sold too cheap and should've had add-ons taking it to £75 million, Torres was a great deal for the club.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 01:47:30 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7369 on: June 21, 2019, 06:40:40 am »
Retiring at the end of the season

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7370 on: June 21, 2019, 07:48:33 am »
What a player he was
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #7371 on: June 21, 2019, 07:49:18 am »
On Torres..... he hadnt been any good for a while before he left

We got good money for him and yeah he coulda left without saying shit but

norrarsed
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7372 on: June 21, 2019, 09:16:13 am »
those saying he had dropped a level before leaving, maybe he had but we were devastated when he left.

07-8 torres was something else.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7373 on: June 21, 2019, 09:16:26 am »
Still love him. Am over the way he left now and hold him in higher regard than I do Suarez.

"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #7374 on: June 21, 2019, 09:24:46 am »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7375 on: June 21, 2019, 10:02:16 am »
Good luck to him!

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7376 on: June 21, 2019, 10:15:05 am »
He broke my heart
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #7377 on: June 21, 2019, 10:48:46 am »
Muchos gracias.

What a show he put on at his peak. While he might not have scored as many in one season as Suárez and Salah - he wasn't second to them in 2007-2008 and kept a standard at 99 % of that level the two following seasons even with all the injuries, until he got one too many. He was also one of the better defensive forwards in the world. I recall when we were one man down at Benfica and Torres alone kept the whole back four occupied while they tried to play the ball out. Fantastic player and all the best for him. For me, he'd be welcome as an LFC ambassador and playing for the LFC legends any day of the week.
Linudden.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7378 on: June 21, 2019, 11:00:49 am »
Was absolutely gutted when he left. Can still remember seeing that picture of him posted on here of him training on his own one day while waiting for his move to go through. Very sad the way it all ended. Fantastic player for us though and scored some forever-memorable goals.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7379 on: June 21, 2019, 11:04:07 am »
His partnership with Gerrard was telepathic at times. Great player for us and seemed like a calm family man off the pitch.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7380 on: June 21, 2019, 11:23:11 am »
Yeah, I have nothing against Torres, he was a great player for us.
my kids adored Torres, their first real Liverpool superstar .
always loved watching him in red and loved the chant.
for me a liverpool great that i was priviledged to watch wearing the jersey
definitely no hard feelings

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #7381 on: June 21, 2019, 11:28:07 am »
Absolutely adored him and he broke my heart, but I made peace with it all eventually and loved singing his song again at the charity game he played in.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7382 on: June 21, 2019, 11:56:33 am »
Just re-watched a video of all his goals. Some of his individual play was unbelievable. Broke our hearts but will be remembered as a great.

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7383 on: June 21, 2019, 12:38:09 pm »
As someone else said... as a defender for ANY team, when you saw a young Nando step out in a long sleeve Liverpool shirt, white T90's and a headband around his long bleached blonde hair.... this was your usual reaction:

It's a great shame the way he left us but he wanted to win something and he knew Liverpool at the time was not in a place to offer him that, we can say "what if" with Torres and Suarez up front but we still weren't good enough elsewhere... anywho I am over that and wish him all the best, Prime Nando at Liverpool will forever be class, he was pure ruthless, at the time Vidic was probably world's best defender or Top 3 anyway and he made him look like an amateur.

Edit: He also had the best song and that Nike video will always be class, still watch it sometimes on Youtube.... Na Na Na Na... Na Na!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 12:40:51 pm by PhilV »

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #7384 on: June 21, 2019, 12:53:42 pm »
what a player he was!

in his prime in team.. just imagine

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7385 on: June 21, 2019, 01:13:57 pm »
Just rewatched the winning goal he scored in the Euro 2008 final for Spain against Germany. Amazing - he was electrifying at the time. The drop off from when he moved to Chelsea was astounding.

I just hated that he left for Chelsea and then the stuff he said immediately afterwards. We were like a dog that was being kicked when it was down. I am thankful for the likes of Agger that defended our honour at the time, because I felt like real shit as a Liverpool supporter around that period.

Anyway it’s all in the past. Time and success healed the wounds of all those damaging departures and a crooked takeover. It’s made us all appreciate where we are now.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7386 on: June 21, 2019, 01:16:52 pm »
He was absolute world class, was performing almost at Messi and Ronaldo's level at times.

I know I'll be in the minority here but when he left, I felt nothing. He was playing like Voronin towards the later stages and it just wasn't working out for him. He even took that form to Chelsea so we made the right decision selling him and bringing in Suarez.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7387 on: June 21, 2019, 01:17:24 pm »
He won a few things at Chelsea. But was second fiddle to Drogba. He was finished the season he left us. £50m at time was great deal for us, just a shame we took £35m and spent it on a donkey with a pony tail.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7389 on: June 21, 2019, 01:26:48 pm »
Good luck to Fernando in whatever he does next - I wonder if he will consider coaching?

What a player. That speed, strength and ruthless finishing is such a rare and deadly combination. I always had complete faith that whenever he was one-on-one with the goalkeeper, it was a goal, but what I'll remember the most is the goals he scored that he had absolutely no right to, like that volley against Blackburn or that bending shot against Chelsea... and the time he barged past Vidic like he was nothing. ;D He could do pretty much anything. I bet Jurgen would absolutely love him.

Amazing player and he'll always be a Red in my book. Said a page or so back, for fans of my age, he is the first great #9 we've ever watched. We've been blessed with some extraordinary forwards since - Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Mane, Salah, Bobby, Ings - but it's very hard to beat a peak Nando. Legendary Liverpool #9! :scarf

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7390 on: June 21, 2019, 01:32:13 pm »
His legacy will be that his last game for us was Keys and Gray's last game for Sky (3-0 win vs Wolves). What a legacy.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7392 on: June 21, 2019, 01:47:39 pm »
Good luck to Fernando in whatever he does next - I wonder if he will consider coaching?

What a player. That speed, strength and ruthless finishing is such a rare and deadly combination. I always had complete faith that whenever he was one-on-one with the goalkeeper, it was a goal, but what I'll remember the most is the goals he scored that he had absolutely no right to, like that volley against Blackburn or that bending shot against Chelsea... and the time he barged past Vidic like he was nothing. ;D He could do pretty much anything. I bet Jurgen would absolutely love him.

Amazing player and he'll always be a Red in my book. Said a page or so back, for fans of my age, he is the first great #9 we've ever watched. We've been blessed with some extraordinary forwards since - Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Mane, Salah, Bobby, Ings - but it's very hard to beat a peak Nando. Legendary Liverpool #9! :scarf

Always a red!? Seriously I don’t bear any grudges and wish him well, but he left us for Chelsea and said some shit about us afterwards. You’re getting blinded by the romance of the good times now time has passed. Let’s not jump to the extreme of saying “he will always be a red”. Just not true.

Only those that help us in the trenches and lift us when we are down, stick around in the bad times, don’t talk smack about the club ... they’re the ones that will always be a red.

As I said, zero hard feelings and I wish him well. He gave us some great times.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Cu Chulainn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7393 on: June 21, 2019, 02:01:19 pm »
Always a red!? Seriously I don’t bear any grudges and wish him well, but he left us for Chelsea and said some shit about us afterwards. You’re getting blinded by the romance of the good times now time has passed. Let’s not jump to the extreme of saying “he will always be a red”. Just not true.

Only those that help us in the trenches and lift us when we are down, stick around in the bad times, don’t talk smack about the club ... they’re the ones that will always be a red.

As I said, zero hard feelings and I wish him well. He gave us some great times.
I did say in my opinion, I appreciate others won't feel the same.

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7394 on: June 21, 2019, 02:09:25 pm »
https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/04/fernando-torres-on-his-anfield-exit-a-complete-chapter-from-ring-of-fire-liverpool-into-the-21st-century-the-players-stories/

“Yes, Stevie in some ways is similar to me: more reserved and shy. On the pitch, it is different. There is an aura around him. You feel it as a team-mate. The opponent feels it because they know what is coming. He understood everything about me. I just needed to move into the space and the first thing he would try to do is find me. And he did, whether it was with a long or a short pass. Stevie was the player that completed my game. I will never find someone like him again.”

Nando & Stevie  :'( :'( :'( :'( not crying

Also that article is very interesting and very sad - like I said I get why he left, at 27 and that he didn't have the time to hang around for another rebuild job, as he said, he was getting on, his speed which was part of his "bite" was leaving him and the club didn't seem that intent on keeping him.

It's a great shame the way it all unfolded, I still like Torres mind, objectively if I think with a non-LFC head on I can see it's just a job and they go where they can win but as a supporter it hurt, especially for those shites.

Either way I still remember his time with us fondly and forgive him for wanting better than we could give him at the time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:20:16 pm by PhilV »

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7395 on: June 21, 2019, 02:13:17 pm »
Great player in his prime, and we were the club that enjoyed that prime. Unstoppable in a red shirt for the first few years. Then we saw the first signs of his decline, and Chelsea endured the rest of it.

I loved seeing Torres play for us, at his best there was no better centre forward. It felt like we'd hit the jackpot.

I don't have any lasting fondness for him though. He left for a rival with a few days left of the transfer window, then spoke disrespectfully about his former club. Yes we were going through a tough time, but the way Torres left was still inexcusable. He received adulation that eclipsed even what Gerrard was getting. The fans truly loved him that much. Had he given advance warning of his departure it would have softened the blow somewhat. Instead he slipped out the back door, he got all that affection from the Liverpool fans and in return left as swiftly as possible without acknowledging those very same fans.

I don't have any hard feelings for him either though. He's a Madrid player and always has been, that's where he's always belonged. It's understandable that he would have no loyalty or love for either Liverpool or Chelsea, at one time we were both just teams he thought he'd flourish at.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7396 on: June 21, 2019, 02:25:07 pm »
Also, the idea that Torres was some sort of relentless bully of Nemanja Vidic is a complete myth.

2007/08 - Torres didn't do anything of note against United in either defeat. If anything he was the one bullied, albeit with little protection from the ref.

2008/09 - Doesn't feature in the home game. Whilst scoring the equaliser at Old Trafford he makes Vidic look like a carthorse.

2009/10 - Scores against United at home, by getting the better of Ferdinand. Scores a header away, with nobody marking him.

2010/11 - Doesn't do anything in our defeat at Old Trafford.

He didn't do anything for Chelsea against them either. It's a strange story that gets passed around a lot but there's no substance to it. The reality is he outshone Vidic for that one goal and the rest of the time Vidic himself self-destructed by getting random red cards.

I don't particularly care that the story gets repeated, I've just always thought it was kind of strange. To be honest the reason I find it interesting is because we're normally on the receiving end of these little made up narratives. Especially in recent years.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7397 on: June 21, 2019, 02:30:12 pm »
Loved his first goal for us, at home against Chelsea. We knew he had the potential to be a great player when we signed him, but there were plenty of doubts as to whether he was going to be a prolific goalscorer, or a goalscorer at all in the Premier League. That was all banished with one drop of the shoulder and a finish across the goalkeeper.

Just a shame the outcome of that game was ruined by one of the worst refereeing decisions I've ever seen.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7398 on: June 21, 2019, 02:46:01 pm »
We've been blessed with some extraordinary forwards since - Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Mane, Salah, Bobby, Ings
Spot the odd one out

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #7399 on: June 21, 2019, 02:46:58 pm »
Spot the odd one out

Well Coutinho isn't a forward.