Author Topic: Gran Turismo 7  (Read 7443 times)

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
Re: Gran Turismo 7
« Reply #40 on: April 2, 2022, 09:19:14 am »
Jesus - sorry everyone who has tried to add me - I didn't even know I had privacy settings on!  Just checked and had it so no-one could ask to be my friend.  No wonder I only have 11 and they are from years ago.  Also, a mirror of the real world!!

Added  :D

Just ordered one of their Wheel Stand Lites off eBay for £80, couldn't beat that.  Now to find a good deal on a wheel!

Good stuff. Let us know what you think when you get everything set up... and don't forget some pedals!
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #41 on: April 2, 2022, 09:44:16 am »
Good stuff. Let us know what you think when you get everything set up... and don't forget some pedals!
I got the Logitech G923 with pedals and a gearstick - I'm gonna be the best-kitted Sunday driver ever

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a red and white Kop...
« Reply #42 on: April 2, 2022, 12:25:42 pm »
Can't add Roon71 due to privacy settings

Like AndyMuller I couldn't find you to add - probably serves me right after I blocked you and the rest of the world from adding me.

Cormorant - just accepted - cheers

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 4, 2022, 05:30:49 pm »
I’ve been focusing on the various outstanding races after finishing the menus last week. I’ve now done all the 700pp World Touring Car races and am working through the 800pp ones. I’ve also done a couple of the GT3 races but they feel toughest overall.

I’d recommend, for anyone who preordered the game, the 97 Supra for the 700pp races. I down tuned it to get to 700 but it’s quite light so handles well. It still keeps up pretty well on the straights, you just need to be precise in the corners.

If anyone has any tips for the best GT3 car to go with, especially for the Daytona race, they’d be appreciated. I won in Suzuka in the McLaren but that seems to struggle at Daytona so far.

Also, the 550pp race at Tsukuba was driving me mad. I tried various cars but ended up going with a R34 Nissan with nitro added as the only way I could keep pace on the straights with the AI and then had to be very careful in the corners not to lose any time to them. Felt like they were cheating given the restrictions!

GT3 races are great fun, really rewarding when you win as it’s so close and hard won!
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 4, 2022, 06:35:27 pm »
I’ve been focusing on the various outstanding races after finishing the menus last week. I’ve now done all the 700pp World Touring Car races and am working through the 800pp ones. I’ve also done a couple of the GT3 races but they feel toughest overall.

I’d recommend, for anyone who preordered the game, the 97 Supra for the 700pp races. I down tuned it to get to 700 but it’s quite light so handles well. It still keeps up pretty well on the straights, you just need to be precise in the corners.

If anyone has any tips for the best GT3 car to go with, especially for the Daytona race, they’d be appreciated. I won in Suzuka in the McLaren but that seems to struggle at Daytona so far.

Also, the 550pp race at Tsukuba was driving me mad. I tried various cars but ended up going with a R34 Nissan with nitro added as the only way I could keep pace on the straights with the AI and then had to be very careful in the corners not to lose any time to them. Felt like they were cheating given the restrictions!

GT3 races are great fun, really rewarding when you win as it’s so close and hard won!

Feel your problem fella. This is pretty much where I was at last week.

For the 800pp races I didn't find a meta car. Completed them now with a bit of perseverance. Got three group 3 cars in my garage so far. An Audi R8, Dodge Viper and Nissan GTR.

Daytona is a difficult one, both for the world touring car 800pp race and the separate group 3 one. Think I won the first with trying it a few times in the Audi and relying on the AI pitting on lap 4. Just keep exiting the world circuit menu and you'll find that the field resets. As for the group 3 race, I whacked on a high end turbo onto the Nissan, racing hards, went for about 50:50 between ballast and power restrictor and getting as near as dammit to the 730 pp limit, plus put in quick laps with fuel mapping in mind. Found it frustrating but rewarding at the same time. One thing I really like is the feel of the bumps at Daytona on the road course, unlike most tracks, where it's silky smooth.

There's also this thread on gtplanet, if it might help?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/world-touring-car-800-races.407113/
« Last Edit: April 4, 2022, 06:39:40 pm by cormorant »
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 6, 2022, 12:46:21 pm »
The GTPlanet thread is useful. I’ve now done all but one of the 800pp races. I’ve used the Honda GR2 car and tuned it back a few points to get below the limit. I ran a mix of RM or RH tires. Overall I probably preferred sticking with RHs which would last the full 10 laps and adding a few HP to compensate. On mediums they get a little slippery after 5 laps but I tend to stop for fuel then so not too bad.

I think once I’ve got all the trophies I might go back with some different cars that make it a bit tougher.

Only a couple of rally races (still hate them) and GT3s to go to cover all of them.

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
« Reply #46 on: April 6, 2022, 03:49:20 pm »
I'm not keen on the rally races either.  Love Dirt and rally games in general, but just can't get into them on Gran Turismo and they're the races I do once, get gold and never do again.

The thing I really hate though is drift missions.  No fun at all; no point to them and just a slog.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 6, 2022, 06:22:46 pm »
Finished all the world circuit events this morning. Couldn't agree more about the rally ones. The jumps are an absolute joke. Once golded I never touch them again. Have never really been a fan of drifting either, but understandable that it features given how big it is in Japan.

Started to work through the circuit experience. Got gold on the individual sectors on Laguna Seca no problem. Took ages to string it together and achieve it on the full lap. That track and me do not get on. Not looking forward to my nemesis, Willow Springs. Heard that the Nordschliefe time is way more difficult than in Sport. Looking forward to that, love it.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2022, 06:45:22 pm by cormorant »

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 7, 2022, 07:27:13 am »
New update rolled out this morning. Would summarise but this does a far better job.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/patchnotes-update-1-11.407319/

Edit: major credits to be claimed if you've done any of the circuit experience so far. As the notes say, just enter the sector menu then exit out. 3 million banked here.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2022, 07:56:15 am by cormorant »

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: April 7, 2022, 11:37:21 am »
Cheers for letting us know - downloaded it before work  It's good to see big rewards for completing the circuit experience with Golds as I'll need them to be able to afford some of the legendary cars!  I can crack on with getting through them now so that's my next few nights sorted!

I got gold on the three stages of Laguna Seca circuit experience last night but was holding off on getting the whole circuit done until an update came to make sure I got the full rewards (didn't know they would be given retrospectively).  Had a couple of goes before work this morning and was about 3 seconds off gold so that's my evening sorted. 

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 7, 2022, 06:24:53 pm »
Has anyone had a crack at the hardest drag race mission yet? You’re up against a GT-R and it left me for dead.

Found out the answer to that mission today. With the big increase in payouts, I splashed the cash on a Tomahawk VGT. Absolutely smokes it. Beat it by about 3secs or so.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 7, 2022, 06:36:46 pm »
Found out the answer to that mission today. With the big increase in payouts, I splashed the cash on a Tomahawk VGT. Absolutely smokes it. Beat it by about 3secs or so.

Nice. Will keep that in mind. Was that with or without nitrous?

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 7, 2022, 06:58:16 pm »
Nice. Will keep that in mind. Was that with or without nitrous?

Without nitrous. Get it off the line cleanly and you're done.

Was my midweek day off work today (get one midweek day off every fortnight). Blasted the game to try and earn as many credits as possible. Done the 3 new races plus circuit experience at Interlagos (straightforward enough) and then started on the dreaded Willow Springs. Got gold on Horse Thief Mile after a bit of a faff, then started on The Streets of Willow...golded the sectors but still about 0.8s off gold for the full lap. The lack of visual references at that track throws me right off. Big Willow is waiting for another day but should be ok with that.

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2022, 10:29:59 am »
Finished all the world circuit events this morning. Couldn't agree more about the rally ones. The jumps are an absolute joke. Once golded I never touch them again. Have never really been a fan of drifting either, but understandable that it features given how big it is in Japan.

Fair do's for golding all the circuit events.  I'm slowly working through them when I get the chance but not aiming for gold yet just passing so I get the basic reward, but I can see that some are going to be really challenging.  Some are going to really piss me off I reckon and I'll have to go for a few walks to calm down. 

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2022, 06:19:21 pm »
Got 3rd on a Sport Daily Group 4 race, very happy with that. Racing against other humans is so much fun.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2022, 08:30:50 pm »
Done all the circuit experience at gold for each location in the American section...bit of an effort on some but not too much trouble. Found doing the whole lap at Fisherman's Ranch a bit tough but ultimately rewarding. Started on Europe now. Catalunya done in a jiffy, despite people saying it's pretty hard. Onwards to Le Mans and the game bites. The last sector is brutal. Still something like 0.5s off. Was doing my head in this morning.

Sounds like you're pretty happy with the online racing Lance, nice to hear that you're enjoying it. Only play online here when PlayStation Plus is free. Was well impressed with it in Sport when I dabbled. Expected there to be loads of rammers around but didn't really come across any dirty players. Is it still the same/similar and what's the matching system like? In Sport I got matched very quickly to decent rooms pace-wise (or whatever the correct terminology is) but have heard of plenty of complaints that if your SR takes a tanking because of the penalty system it can prove difficult to rebuild the rating to get rematched with cleaner players.

Edit: Porsche curves done now. Whole lap still to do. Silver at the moment, just a question of stringing the whole lap together. Easily the most frustrating challenge up to now apart from Spa in the wet for the last licence test... maybe except for the drifting ones that are a wing and a prayer for me... can't find any sort of consistency with gradually improving those.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 09:26:06 pm by cormorant »

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2022, 04:28:17 pm »
Done all the circuit experience at gold for each location in the American section...bit of an effort on some but not too much trouble. Found doing the whole lap at Fisherman's Ranch a bit tough but ultimately rewarding. Started on Europe now. Catalunya done in a jiffy, despite people saying it's pretty hard. Onwards to Le Mans and the game bites. The last sector is brutal. Still something like 0.5s off. Was doing my head in this morning.

Sounds like you're pretty happy with the online racing Lance, nice to hear that you're enjoying it. Only play online here when PlayStation Plus is free. Was well impressed with it in Sport when I dabbled. Expected there to be loads of rammers around but didn't really come across any dirty players. Is it still the same/similar and what's the matching system like? In Sport I got matched very quickly to decent rooms pace-wise (or whatever the correct terminology is) but have heard of plenty of complaints that if your SR takes a tanking because of the penalty system it can prove difficult to rebuild the rating to get rematched with cleaner players.

Edit: Porsche curves done now. Whole lap still to do. Silver at the moment, just a question of stringing the whole lap together. Easily the most frustrating challenge up to now apart from Spa in the wet for the last licence test... maybe except for the drifting ones that are a wing and a prayer for me... can't find any sort of consistency with gradually improving those.

Everyone seems well behaved online, I did have an idiot trying to ram me off the track the other day but I would assume his/her S rating went down and they from there on they can only race against other rammers. I also played a fair bit of GT Sport, it's no different.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2022, 09:38:01 am »
Got almost everything done for circuit experience now. Just three variations of Tokyo Expressway, Nurburgring GP and the Nordschliefe still to clear. Should complete them by the weekend at one a day I reckon with the potential exception of the Nordschliefe, depending on the difficulty. Made a massive difference to my credits. Currently sat on a balance of about 24million despite buying all of the group c cars that landed in the legendary dealership the other day. Really is worth aiming for gold if it's within your capabilities.

Edit: got the the rest of Tokyo Expressway and Nurburgring GP sorted. Nordschliefe underway. 1st sector is hard, got it done. Rattled through sectors 2-6ish this morning. Gonna give the rest of the sectors a blast tomorrow morning before work then start on the full lap.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 08:03:59 pm by cormorant »

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2022, 09:42:01 am »
Does anyone find the races required to get the cafe menus ridiculously easy?

I just find that by the time I get to a race my car is loads better than any of the others, I don’t really have to have any skill as even if I crash I comfortably win the race anyway (and that’s without modifying it at all).

The game as a driving sim is amazing but in terms of a one player game I’m finding it doesn’t have a great deal to it really? Am I missing something?

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2022, 05:01:12 pm »
I'd agree with you - I can't remember having an issue with any of the menus.  For a lot of the world circuit races I've used underpowered or similar cars to the ones I'm against and if I've not won then I've just picked a slightly better car each time until 1st place is achieveable.  It's time consuming but it's meant I've had a bit of a challenge and also earned more credits rather than just choosing a much better car and breezing through the races.  And I've driven cars that I wouldn't normally bother with too.  I don't think the single player is all that when you compare it to something like Forza which offers loads of different races and tournaments for different cars with different specs.  For me, GT is limited with largely just 500pp - 800pp races in the World Circuit which means you mainly use the same cars all the time.  It'd be nice to have more tournaments and races based on using certain cars.

The difficulty level does go up when you move to the longer races though where you have to use a bit of strategy and can't rely on just having the best car by far.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 05:08:00 pm by KJR71 »

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2022, 05:45:20 pm »
The Menus are generally pretty easy if you’ve got the right cars I agree.

I found the majority of the races pretty simple. The best challenge is the GT3 races from my experience but I get frustrated with the structure GT applies with those.

Partly due to the above I’ve stopped playing GT7 and I bought ACC for PS5 in the PS sale recently. I’m finding the race weekend structure of that and F1 21 much more enjoyable than the odd race from the back or trying to master a sector. It’s a shame as I love the way the cars handle, it just starts to feel a bit antiquated structurally as you play it IMO.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2022, 06:05:05 pm »
GT7 isn't great in race trim but it never was to be fair. I always found it more of a time attack than anything else. I get the most enjoyment out of finding the little margins here and there than anything else.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2022, 07:09:07 pm »
Agree with you nayorha2b.

The AI has always been very poor. Will be interesting to see how they apply Sophy (the new AI) as and when. Play it as a time attack game here as well. Golding everything is always my goal in terms of a one-player game. Doing circuit experience is always worthwhile as it obviously gives a benchmark. Similar thing when time trials get up and running to compare single lap times against other players. Online racing with a PSN plus subscription (or whatever it's called) is probably the way to go but I absolutely refuse to pay money to play a game that I've already purchased out of principle more than anything else.

Game update maintenance scheduled for Monday. Hopefully we'll see some new content.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2022, 09:57:43 pm »
Agree with GT being best as a time trial. The races are often more a time trial with obstacles!

I guess that’s why it’s the real ‘driving’ rather than ‘racing’ simulator! Agree there’s a lot of satisfaction to be had in nailing some of the challenges but am currently not in that in that mindset. Will no doubt get back into it when more gets added, I did the same with Sport.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2022, 07:17:25 pm »
Nordschliefe done this morning. 6mil credits banked. Think I did it on my 5th completed lap or thereabouts. Had a few forays onto various parts of the track that are meant for lawnmowers in-between, but that's racing. Really wasn't too difficult. Le Mans was much harder. Having said that, it really hit home how much practice and learning tracks helps. Been hitting the Nordschliefe hard since GT5 when me, my brother and a mate would constantly try to outdo each other in a Lamborghini Nomad Diablo around there. All the little nuances that can take hours of practice are ingrained...fun, but no doubt frustrating to learn it from scratch.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2022, 12:34:36 pm »
Content incoming (not much car-wise) but apparently the first update for GTS was only 3 cars as well. Waiting to see if there are any new layouts and PD will have been true to their word.

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2022, 08:29:18 pm »
Hopefully they don't patch the bug where you can do the Tokyo Expressway race for 550,000 credits with a Tomahawk and earn nearly a million credits with a clean race.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2022, 06:35:43 am »
Looks like it's as good as gone according to the update announcement wording:

Furthermore, the Performance Points (PP) requirements for some events may change with this update

« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 06:43:40 am by cormorant »

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2022, 12:21:08 pm »
Yep they've fixed the bug that meant that the Tomahawk was being mistakenly down as less than 600pp so you could do the Tokyo Expressway in around 18 minutes and earn 850,000 credits in the process.  Back to grinding races the normal way in order to earn enough credits to buy better cars.

Other than that the update has added three new cars, Spa 24hr layout (but no circuit experience with it), three new events at Spa and a load of miscallaneous things which you can see here...https://www.dualshockers.com/gran-turismo-7-gt7-update-1-13-patch-notes-today-april-25/

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2022, 06:19:48 pm »
Not into grinding individual races myself as I'd rather enjoy playing the game. The new WTC800 race at Spa seems like a good way though. 1mil plus a clean race bonus as a possibility for an hour's effort.

Got to say that I'm disappointed by the new layout. Same track, just a different pit lane and starting line with a 24h time cycle. Whilst welcome, and PD were technically true to their word, feels like a bit of a pisstake to me. Hey-ho.

Offline Metallinick

• Anny Roader
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2022, 05:46:08 am »
Videos are starting to come up on YouTube showing how to glitch the Tomahawk after the latest update. Personally not into it myself, but the glitch is still there for those that want to continue using it. Just need to make a few tuning adjustments (again) then off you go.

Given how rigged the roulette ticket system is I don't have much sympathy for the developers though :)

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2022, 03:49:35 pm »
Not really into doing these kind of things either, never done them before, but after completing the races on offer I like to then try them with other cars hoping for close, challenging races but as the rewards for winning, or as you say the roulette wheel rewards are so shite, it either means grinding for days on end earning 50,000 credits a time or instead grinding for an hour or two and earning 10 times that amount which thereby opens up the game to be enjoyed using other cars you can buy.

I don't mind doing the same race a few times if that then allows me to do it again using other cars and keeping the game enjpoyable, but I can't be arsed doing the same 50,000 reward race a hundred times just so I can afford one legend car costing five million.  How many races would it take to get half of the cars on the game in that case?

Agree with what others have wrote on here that it's not so much a racing game, more a time trial with obstacles but it is a great little game.  As I said earlier, it needs more races and obviously this started with yesterday's update.

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2022, 04:31:15 pm »
Stuck on the Least Fuel, Fastest Lap 1 mission, the one in the old Datsun, gold is 2:05.000, I've don it in 2:05.616.

So frustrating.

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2022, 05:59:39 pm »
I think I did that by a tenth of a second by staying in fuel map 4 all the way around and with a bit of coasting into corners and then put it into fuel map 1 with about four corners to go (into the hairpin-like corner).

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2022, 06:32:07 pm »
Done the new 24h Spa race and the first 4 of the endurance races over the last few days. All the typical chase the rabbit stuff you'd expect, but the endurance ones were some of the most enjoyable in the game up until now. Right mix of difficulty in terms of choosing the right car where applicable, tuning, being fast enough and fuel/tyre strategy. Wasn't expecting it, but loved the BAC Mono race at Trial Mountain. 1.2mil as a one-off for the win in each of the endurance ones. Beats grinding for me any day of the week. Just hope they add more races as when I'm done it'll be grinding or doing custom races with poor payouts (surely an easy fix for PD).

By the way, on the grinding comments. Haven't got anything against it and those that do so. Cheers for the heads up on it metallinick. Noticed it was your first post in here...hi  :wave
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:05:47 pm by cormorant »

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2022, 07:39:35 pm »
I think I did that by a tenth of a second by staying in fuel map 4 all the way around and with a bit of coasting into corners and then put it into fuel map 1 with about four corners to go (into the hairpin-like corner).

Spent 2 hours on that today, are you Roon? If so, you're fast, I can't match most of your times, very quick.

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2022, 09:56:08 pm »
Yep, that's me.  Stick with it, use the ghosts of your best time and the demonstration lap if you aren't already.  I found comparing them and then seeing where to pick up time helped.  I only just managed it though and it took quite a few attempts to do it.  Cormorant has a quicker time than me so he may have some tips. 

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2022, 09:49:54 am »
Did it a bit differently to KJR.

Fuel map 5 off the line all the way until exiting the last corner and switching to map 1 down the final straight to the line. Easy little thing that I assume a fair few people will miss is do not rev the engine while sat idle on the line at the start until the last possible moment as that just burns fuel. Other than that, drive it like you stole it. No lift and coast on this one for me. Try both and see what suits you best. Seems counterintuitive on a fuel economy mission but in a slower car it's all about keeping momentum up. Sure you'll be doing this anyway and easier said than done, but try to keep your minimum speed through the corners as high as possible. Make use of the full width of the track. Fair chunk of time to be made with quick exits and gaining time down the following flat out sections. Like KJR said, use your ghost to help you understand where you gain time on yourself.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 09:53:03 am by cormorant »

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2022, 02:32:45 pm »
2:04.962

I'm so happy

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2022, 03:26:13 pm »