Author Topic: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4,SIE)  (Read 29904 times)

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4,SIE)
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2017, 11:05:04 am »
Took down my first Thunderjaw! I caught up on this thread last night and obviously upon first seeing  them had no idea how to combat them. The old Ropecaster + Disc Launcher combo is by far the best method.

I feel like I'm approaching the end (I've just been to the Grave-Hoard if that rings any bells), but have only done one cauldron, so I'm off to do some of the side stuff before I pack the game in. I've enjoyed it to be honest although I've essentially only played it for a few days. Somewhere after doing the trial I stopped playing and went back to finish the original Mass Effect trilogy. I've then come onto this to finish it before Andromeda comes out!

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:17 pm »
So, I think I'm close to the end of the game and I have one question: (might be a spoiler if you haven't finished the game)

Spoiler
I'm in that "secret facility" under Sunfall and I have one question: how come there are loads of Eclipse guys down there? That's just shite. Especially when fighting humans is the worst part of the game...
[close]

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2017, 11:37:04 pm »
Managed to get all the trophies earlier.  Brilliant game.  Loved the graphics / game mechanics.  Deffo up there for game of the year so far for me.  It does have minor flaws like ralphie mentioned about the resources, bit of a pain in the ass to be honest.  I also found aiming at those glinthawks a bit buggy, while aiming in any sort of grass would result in the grass obscuring your view, couldnt see a damm thing that you were aiming at, really annoyed me.  Fantastic game tho. 

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2017, 12:50:34 pm »
How long would a reasonably in depth playthrough of this take? Going to get this and Mass Effect soon but figure if this is short enough might aswell go for this first as I know Mass Effect will give me heaps of playing time.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2017, 01:05:53 pm »
How long would a reasonably in depth playthrough of this take? Going to get this and Mass Effect soon but figure if this is short enough might aswell go for this first as I know Mass Effect will give me heaps of playing time.

Over 30 hours i reckon, as long as you dont rush into all the main mission quests etc.  I got all trophies with roughly 35 hours play.

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2017, 01:46:30 pm »
Every story mission for about the last 3-4 missions I have felt that it was going to be the end, but it keeps going. Story is longer than I was expecting! This isn't a short game.

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2017, 02:39:03 pm »
Every story mission for about the last 3-4 missions I have felt that it was going to be the end, but it keeps going. Story is longer than I was expecting! This isn't a short game.

Over 30 hours i reckon, as long as you dont rush into all the main mission quests etc.  I got all trophies with roughly 35 hours play.

Nice one, cheers for the response

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2017, 05:58:19 pm »
Only had this a few days, but it is absolutely fantastic.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2017, 08:43:07 am »
Just heading towards the end (I guess)

And I've managed to
Spoiler
avoid fighting a Stormbird as I had a run in earlier and got fucking destroyed
[close]
but now I'm climbing towards a mountain peak, giving me loads of harvesting opportunities, and I know its coming and its horrible :(
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2017, 11:04:48 pm »
Only just got round to finishing this

Really enjoyable game

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2017, 07:30:34 am »
Finished the main quests last night... now on the collectables. Hell of a game to be fair, really pulls you in.... going to do a bit of exploring after I finished the side missions.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2017, 08:40:12 am »
Finished the main quests last night... now on the collectables. Hell of a game to be fair, really pulls you in.... going to do a bit of exploring after I finished the side missions.

You done all the cauldrons yet? I wasn't that fussed but its fucking ace when you do, nothing like over-riding a Thunderjaw and then watching it cause absolute carnage
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2017, 10:40:50 am »
Done them all mate and all the side missions and errands... also the vantage points and metal flowers etc...Just going to explore the mountains and remote areas whilst taking my time.... you know like National Geographic  ;) 
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2017, 09:41:50 pm »
Done them all mate and all the side missions and errands... also the vantage points and metal flowers etc...Just going to explore the mountains and remote areas whilst taking my time.... you know like National Geographic  ;)

To be fair I spent a good week just killing things once I'd completed it all.

Offline Il Conte

• Kopite
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2017, 08:26:30 am »
Fantastic game, already looking forward to the sequel. On to Andromeda now.

Online slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2017, 11:31:51 pm »
i will be looking to get this next. the cheapest i have seen it online is £43 with amazon. im waiting for it to drop below £30, i might have a long wait!!!! currently coming to the end of rise of the tomb raider which i have surprisingly enjoyed. i would like horizon to be my next game but i wont pay over £30 for it probably gonna be waiting till chrimbo. how does this game compare to the witcher for those who have played both?

Offline LFC Boy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2017, 03:53:14 pm »
Finished it today, brilliant game.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2017, 04:01:28 pm »
Finished it today, brilliant game.

Was good but I've been spoiled by The Last of Us and the story wasn't that level

Offline LFC Boy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #178 on: June 2, 2017, 03:19:05 pm »
Was good but I've been spoiled by The Last of Us and the story wasn't that level

Of course The Last of Us is a whole other level and this doesn't come close. What does?

Anyways, I still enjoyed this game a lot.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #179 on: June 4, 2017, 06:13:31 pm »
Hope they nerf the shit out of the tearblast arrows in the inevitable sequel

There was never really any need to stray from the combo of blasting their armour/weapons off then pelting them with normal/precision arrows

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: June 5, 2017, 12:00:53 pm »
Hope they nerf the shit out of the tearblast arrows in the inevitable sequel

There was never really any need to stray from the combo of blasting their armour/weapons off then pelting them with normal/precision arrows

Too right. Once I discovered the power of the tear last arrows didn't bother with much else. Several of the weapons I never used at all.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: November 1, 2017, 10:39:09 pm »
http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2017/10/31/horizon-zero-dawn-the-frozen-wilds-dlc-definitely-isnt-endgame-content

I done everything there was to do. Loved the game but not sure if this seems worth it

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 2, 2017, 06:02:02 am »
I'll be picking this up. I haven't played it since I clocked it and I think I'm gonna enjoy playing as Aloy again in new surroundings.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #183 on: November 4, 2017, 06:35:49 pm »
Had this since release week, still not finished it! One of those games that I always go back to for a few hours here & there. Probably won't bother with the DLC although it sounds like it would benefit me more (only level 34) compared to players that have finished the game & are a lot more higher ranked.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2020, 11:12:46 pm »
Was bought this a couple of Christmas' ago, but I'm not exactly a non-stop gamer (tending to play 'story' games quite rarely, spending most of my time on Gran Turismo and Pro Evo instead).

After a day or two having fun on the (gifted this year) first part of the Spyro trilogy, though, Ive just unwrapped Horizon & popped it in the PS4 to setup.  Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about!  I think my brother (who is both a more avid gamer than I and indeed the gift-giver at hand) is more excited than I am (even just to hear my thoughts on it ;D).

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #185 on: January 1, 2021, 01:19:02 pm »
Was bought this a couple of Christmas' ago, but I'm not exactly a non-stop gamer (tending to play 'story' games quite rarely, spending most of my time on Gran Turismo and Pro Evo instead).

After a day or two having fun on the (gifted this year) first part of the Spyro trilogy, though, Ive just unwrapped Horizon & popped it in the PS4 to setup.  Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about!  I think my brother (who is both a more avid gamer than I and indeed the gift-giver at hand) is more excited than I am (even just to hear my thoughts on it ;D).

Enjoy, my man. One of my favourite storylines of all time.

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: January 2, 2021, 12:45:04 am »
Enjoy, my man. One of my favourite storylines of all time.

Yeah, I thought that the narrative was really well done too. Kept me interested throughout and I really enjoyed the way that it slowly revealed the answers, slowly giving you the full picture of how events had transpired. Just a great game all around. Bioshock Infinite is still my top pick for narrative though.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2021, 09:36:41 pm »
Thoroughly enjoying this game, having started it just before new year.  I was starting to get the impression that I was getting through the main story quests quite quickly, but the side tasks, errands, and other bits really bulk the game out and add a richness to it.

Particularly enjoyed a couple of occasions when I've found that routes I've wanted to take have been made difficult because their the meeting point between a few different machine herds - there's a bit near the river (north west of Daytower) where you've got a load of Broadheads, Snapmaws, and Grazers down on the riverbanks, but the clifftop route opposite means you have to skirt around a corruption zone and then an area where there are three Sawtooths and a load of Watchers - eventually managed to make my way east an ended up at the bit where you wind up on the slopes above an icy plain with about 7 Tramplers blocking your route to some essential resources.  Really frustrating to get stuck, but the strategic thinking you have to apply makes it really satisfying when you make it through.

I find it really difficult to avoid being both provocative and easily-provoked ;D

(Bastard Glinthawks)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:39:12 pm by jackh »

Online Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2021, 08:25:31 am »
(Bastard Glinthawks)
I know your frustration.  :wave
Use fire arrows. It helps.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2021, 10:35:24 pm »
I know your frustration.  :wave
Use fire arrows. It helps.

I've realised I got the wrong bird...!

I meant Stormbirds...

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2021, 05:42:43 am »
Yeah, the Stormbirds are bastards. Personally I found that using the tearblast arrows to strip them of their arsenal before trying to take them down helped a lot.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2021, 03:34:23 pm »
Cheers.  I probably need to pay more attention to the modifications, actually.  I'm not used to this type of game, and so there's a fair chance I'm running round with blunt tools & no armour.  I think I bought a bow upgrade at some point, otherwise I might just be making use of what I've earned through quests.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2021, 08:10:27 pm »
Cheers.  I probably need to pay more attention to the modifications, actually.  I'm not used to this type of game, and so there's a fair chance I'm running round with blunt tools & no armour.  I think I bought a bow upgrade at some point, otherwise I might just be making use of what I've earned through quests.

Yeah using the right weapons makes a huge difference in this game

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2021, 10:03:25 pm »
Yeah using the right weapons makes a huge difference in this game

In the Sigma Cauldron, I hid for ages from that Bellowback whilst pathetically firing arrows at it every time it confusedly walked off for a bit ;D

Online chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2021, 01:36:02 am »
So glad you guys bumped this thread, I absolutely loved this game when it first came out. I think I’ll give it another play through when I get my PS5 in a couple of weeks.
YNWA - JFT97

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2021, 03:47:01 am »
In the Sigma Cauldron, I hid for ages from that Bellowback whilst pathetically firing arrows at it every time it confusedly walked off for a bit ;D

Still havimg nightmares about that Sigma Bellowback. The lack of space made it really tough. No spoilers, but the final boss makes that look easy, or at least for me personally. Ended up rage-quitting a couple of times before I beat it, so there's something for you to look forward to.   ;D

Online Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2021, 06:34:37 am »
I've realised I got the wrong bird...!

I meant Stormbirds...
Ah. They are actually quite a bit easier with the right tools. You will get there with trial and error.
If you want some tips on how I did it,
Spoiler
First, you need to get the War Bow for the freezing arrows and the Sharpshot Bow for the precision arrows which cause more damage. And you need to upgrade your skills so that you can notch and fire 2-3 arrows at a time.
One thing to note, the longer you hold the shoot button before firing, the more damage it does to the machines (Taut as a bowstring). And if the Machine is completely frozen, then the damage is a lot higher. At the lower difficulty levels, 3 freezing arrows and 3 precision arrows aimed at the right place might even be enough to take down a Stormbird. Notch and fire the freezing arrows (notch 2-3 at a time) until you completely freeze the Stormbird, and then notch and fire 2-3 precision arrows to deal a good deal of damage. Repeat until it falls. This trick allowed me to take the Stormbirds and the Thunderjaws down within seconds.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:20:51 am by Hendollama »
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2021, 09:05:31 am »
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:07:23 am by kopite321 »

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2021, 02:19:04 pm »
Sad news. RIP Mike, brilliant artistic work.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/01/25/horizon-zero-dawn-dev-passed-away/

That's very sad at such a young age.  Hopefully family & friends can be proud of the legacy of his art on the industry to which he clearly left a significant mark.  Thanks for sharing.

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2021, 05:00:05 pm »
36 years old.  Jesus Christ, that's just awful.  RIP Mike.