Author Topic: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4,SIE)  (Read 29945 times)

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Anfield might be million miles away but it's home
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4,SIE)
« on: September 10, 2016, 12:33:09 pm »
I was amazed to find no thread dedicated to this game.

What is Horizon Zero Dawn?

Horizon is a brand new franchise by Guerrilla Games, the creators of the Killzone franchise.Guerrilla Games have worked on the Killzone franchise for over 10 years and have sought to take a big and bold step with Horizon by not only creating a new I.P, but one in a genre completely unknown to them. Horizon Zero Dawn is an open world action role playing game and is set in a post post apocalyptic setting 1,000 years after a disaster occurred in which the nature has entirely reclaimed the land and where humanity have become the hunted. Machines now rule the lands and and you play as a character called Aloy who is trying to find the hidden mysteries that exist in this world and how machines became to rule the world of Horizon.

Why is Horizon Zero Dawn a big deal?

Sony sees Horizon as potentially huge new franchise for Playstation, and whilst Naughty Dog are busy working on their project and God of War is some while off they see Horizon as their huge tentpole release to get people to purchase the PS4. Horizon has been in development since 2010 and Guerrilla has been busy hiring some of the best RPG talent from CD Project Red and Bethesda. It also recruited John Gonzalez, one of the main writers who worked on Fallout New Vegas. Guerrilla seek to mesh their technical prowess with and tactical combat with the RPG talent they have brought in to create an RPG which can compete with the best of them.

Aloy

The next Nathan Drake? Sony and Guerrilla are betting on Aloy - who is the main protagonist of Horizon - to be the next mascot of Playstation. Aloy is an outcast of the Nora tribe and does not know who her mother is and she has been shunned in her quest to find answers. Aloy is a confident and agile person, just like Nathan Drake she can scale the environment but her main weapon is a bow and arrow which enables her to move and act fast when taking on the fearsome machines which lurk in the world of Horizon. Aloy will have to utilise her weapons from bow and arrow and trip wires and utilise the environment to gain an upper hand in battle against the machines. She also has technology to use to her advantage where she can tame machines to use them to traverse or help her in battle. She also can scan the world to identify enemies weaknesses and movements. In Horizon you can upgrade Aloy to suit your play style, you can upgrade your skill trees to focus on stealth elements, damage output and abilities in battle or improve your resources which will enable you to tame bigger and more powerful machines.

The world of Horizon

Horizon Zero Dawn is set in a seamless open world which consists of jungles, mountains, canyons, deserts and arctic climates making it one of the most diverse maps for an RPG. Guerrilla set out to make something majestic and beautiful people wanted to escape it, the complete opposite of Killzone which was all about grit and darkness. Amongst this world are numerous tribes with their own beliefs and values and specialities. Some of these tribes believe the machines have been sent down from God whilst others have other theories. Some of the tribes embrace the technology of this world whilst other shun it and are very primitive in nature like the Nora tribe where Aloy is from. There are corruption zones which are specific regions of the map where enemies are much tougher and you will find the toughest enemies in the game located there. Environmental affects will impact on your ability in a fight too, in rain you might lose traction on the floor or your vision might be blurred, whilst at night time your visibility is severely impacted and you will need to pay attention to the sounds of the machines to be alerted to their presence.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4-FCsiF5x4

Gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkg5UVTsKCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Xx3MdqdgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwI6-jKlsO0

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:36:25 pm by Chirpy Red »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4,SIE)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 01:32:12 pm »
Yeah it does look really good. Looks like an interesting setting.

Visually looks great and the open world, well aside from witcher  3, I don't think anything comes close. I like the scale, you seem like you haven't got a chance with half the enemies but you have a really good array of weapons to take them down and it's nice to see some variation, pinpointing the enemies weaknesses and bringing them to there knees etc.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 06:32:52 pm »
That looks bonkers yet brilliant.

The giant robot things remind me of the Zoids toys I used to play with in the 80s

Zoids anyone? ..... remember? ..... anyone

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 07:29:28 pm »
Been hyped for this since it was first shown off, can't wait to play it, something fresh, new with stunning visuals and easy to pick up and play gameplay.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 08:13:18 pm »
That looks bonkers yet brilliant.

The giant robot things remind me of the Zoids toys I used to play with in the 80s

Zoids anyone? ..... remember? ..... anyone

Totally remember. They were awesome.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 10:41:42 pm »
Totally remember. They were awesome.

The game on spectrum was shite though

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 11:03:39 pm »
Looks great, looking forwards to it.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 11:24:30 pm »
Looks great! Only worry I have is that Guerilla is making it, because I think the Killzone series is one of the most overrated series ever!

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 09:35:38 pm »
This looks really interesting, looking forward to seeing if it fullfils its potential

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 09:32:50 pm »
This month there has been particularly a lot of information coming out about this game due to PS Meeting, TGS and it is Game Informer's cover game.

So to kick things off here is a long write up of the info in the GI article.

Guerrilla wanted to make a game that's "Beautiful in a majestic way" instead of the grit of Killzone. They wanted to create a world you wanted to be in, instead of escape from.
-Work on Horizon began in 2010
- Horizon has its own engine. Not the same as Shadowfall
- GI saw settings in desert, arctic, and temperate environments. Saw machines that will hide in the water.
- Guerrilla promises why the world got this way will be answered. Also say "this is a sci-fi game and that they won't depend on fantasy at any point.
- The various tribes are radically different including how they feel about the machines. Some of them believe the machines becoming more violent is punishment from the gods.
- You aren't recruiting different tribes to your cause but they will sell you different gear and have their own side quests and storylines
- There are bandits in the world so you will have to fight other humans too
- Aloy is most concerned with finding her origin, and most importantly who her mother was
- She has been raised in the Nora Tribe, but the tribe completely ignores her existence. For reasons she doesn't know they seem to shun her.
- The Nora are ruled by women, Matriarchs
- Aloy was raised by another outcast named Rost, who didn't do it of his own will. The Tribe forced him
- Rost is stern and overprotective but only wants the best for Aloy / Father figure
- There are playable flashbacks of Aloy's childhood
- There are Hunter Trials which are essentially Big Game Hunts / Hunter's Guild
- A flying enemy called a d Glinthawk can throw ice bombs
There are "Corruption Zones" which are areas of the map filled with dangerous enemies. Some of the biggest fights in the game can be found in these zones
- There are lots of sidequests but don't expect them to be as expansive as The Witcher
-GI was surprised at the depth of the game, how intelligent the AI is, and how fluid the controls are.
- GI stated every battle felt like a challenge and that you are in danger often so you need to reasses scenarios such as finding a high spot to plan out your plan of action (GI surprised how fluid traversal was)
- You can craft different outfits to change Aloy's appearance
- A screenshot shows Aloy wearing a metal chest piece, quite a bit different than her normal "animal skins" look
- Aloy has 3 different skill trees that you can put level up points into. They are Prowler (Stealth), Brave (Damage focus), and Forager (Resource Gathering)
- Skill tree is designed to give extra abilities such as kill instantly stunned enemy instead of perks but they are in there
- Weather makes an impact as it affect your vision and traction on the ground
- Aloy can find modifications when she defeats enemies that can be slotted into her weapons and armor. These affect things such as stats and give buffs
- There are weapons such as rocket launchers and machines which you can tame which have not been shown

And also videos detailing the combat (with new gameplay)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fndW_4hfwaM

Some new gameplay with the tribes and npc's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mwiYnENlvU

Throughout the rest of the month there will be more GI content on Horizon Zero Dawn.

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 5, 2016, 08:18:37 pm »

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #11 on: November 5, 2016, 11:01:27 pm »
Holy fuck.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 5, 2016, 11:04:58 pm »
Oooooooo I like the tooled up deer ... I want one

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #13 on: November 6, 2016, 12:36:19 pm »
I know these pics have been edited for advertisement and such, but this game looks like it's going to be beautiful. Never really been into the whole robotics/futuristic genre, however I'm really looking forward to this!
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #14 on: November 6, 2016, 01:08:53 pm »
I know these pics have been edited for advertisement and such, but this game looks like it's going to be beautiful. Never really been into the whole robotics/futuristic genre, however I'm really looking forward to this!
It's a unique slant on that genre, so it has my curiosity just for that. Stone Age Advanced Robotics; that's taking retro-futurism to a whole other level. 

The more deeply you think about it, how this sophisticated AI (they presumably build themseles?) has independently developed into 'dumb' 'wildlife' however many centuries after the fall of human civilisation, the more interesting it becomes as a sci-fi concept - it's not just some refreshingly odd but ultimately hollow premise, it's a genuinely fascinating notion, like the Cordyceps fungal-zombie outbreak that leads us into The Last of Us.

I'm sure something similar will've been explored in written science fiction, like a short story or pulp paperback maybe, but I've never read any of it, and it's certainly a novel setting as far as videogames go.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 7, 2016, 07:53:16 pm »
Sony's next big I.P is only a mere 3 months away. At PSX they showed off more of the world and robots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMKAdNWv9xA

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 05:35:28 pm »
Cannot wait for this, latest previews below

https://youtu.be/Y770Uv1_EcU (Pro footage)

https://youtu.be/d7YpP19O9QI (Pro footage)

https://youtu.be/PcGqcNDZnV0 (Engadget, some brief night footage)

Map -

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 06:48:56 pm »
Cannot wait for this, latest previews below

https://youtu.be/Y770Uv1_EcU (Pro footage)

https://youtu.be/d7YpP19O9QI (Pro footage)

https://youtu.be/PcGqcNDZnV0 (Engadget, some brief night footage)

Map -

Huge hopes for this.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 06:52:06 pm »
Lets wait and see,  Killzone was a bore the gameplay was so meh generic fps zzzz  :boring.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 07:01:40 pm »
Lets wait and see,  Killzone was a bore the gameplay was so meh generic fps zzzz  :boring.

The people who've played it are saying it's awesome though?
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 07:07:36 pm »

Spoilsport !!!  ;)

This and Days Gone are the only games I'm looking forward to.

Been playing BF4 and GTA V online a lot lately, as nothing new has tempted me.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #21 on: February 1, 2017, 09:59:31 pm »
Any chance this might come to PC at some point? Looks interesting, but I don't have a PS4...

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 1, 2017, 10:30:39 pm »
Any chance this might come to PC at some point? Looks interesting, but I don't have a PS4...

Zero chance. Sony owns the IP, owns the studio who makes it so yeah it will be a PS4 exclusive.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #23 on: February 2, 2017, 10:40:19 am »
Really sounds like another winner on PlayStation's hands here. Apparently takes its gameplay & storytelling cues from the very best elements of Witcher 3, The Last of Us, Fallout 4, etc. and then does its own thing with them, especially with its unusual robo-wilderness setting.

RPG aspects should give it some more depth and replayability than a straight cinematic path (as I was kinda expecting it to be early on after its announcement), without getting too intricate/complex and bogged down in all that stuff.

There perhaps hasn't been the same weight of numbers of PS exclusive big'uns this gen, and people will always whine regardless, but I personally reckon the overall level of quality and diversity has been quite high really - the sheer brilliance of masterpieces like Bloodborne and TLOU: Remastered (I consider it a PS4 game in its own right now, if only because the online multiplayer portion particularly is absolutely definitive and near-perfected) does admittedly skew that view somewhat favourably, making up ground for those pretty hardly-games like The Order: 1886, but there are plenty of very solid big titles too, as well as a few extremely interesting efforts at doing something a bit different. Looking ahead, with stuff like Kojima's brand new headfuck in the pipeline, Nioh, Dreams, PSVR shiz and so on, it'll probably end up a very healthy catalogue of exclusives.

PlayStation seem to be doubling-down on console/timed exclusivity now, while Xbox almost appear to be giving up; maybe they're going all in on the Scorpio. I'll miss this shit if we end up with the homogenisation across platforms that 'consumers' want. Peculiar titles specific to one platform just give it character, like a rogue's gallery of cult heroes at a footy club.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 3, 2017, 07:33:55 pm »
Really sounds like another winner on PlayStation's hands here. Apparently takes its gameplay & storytelling cues from the very best elements of Witcher 3, The Last of Us, Fallout 4, etc. and then does its own thing with them, especially with its unusual robo-wilderness setting.

RPG aspects should give it some more depth and replayability than a straight cinematic path (as I was kinda expecting it to be early on after its announcement), without getting too intricate/complex and bogged down in all that stuff.

There perhaps hasn't been the same weight of numbers of PS exclusive big'uns this gen, and people will always whine regardless, but I personally reckon the overall level of quality and diversity has been quite high really - the sheer brilliance of masterpieces like Bloodborne and TLOU: Remastered (I consider it a PS4 game in its own right now, if only because the online multiplayer portion particularly is absolutely definitive and near-perfected) does admittedly skew that view somewhat favourably, making up ground for those pretty hardly-games like The Order: 1886, but there are plenty of very solid big titles too, as well as a few extremely interesting efforts at doing something a bit different. Looking ahead, with stuff like Kojima's brand new headfuck in the pipeline, Nioh, Dreams, PSVR shiz and so on, it'll probably end up a very healthy catalogue of exclusives.

PlayStation seem to be doubling-down on console/timed exclusivity now, while Xbox almost appear to be giving up; maybe they're going all in on the Scorpio. I'll miss this shit if we end up with the homogenisation across platforms that 'consumers' want. Peculiar titles specific to one platform just give it character, like a rogue's gallery of cult heroes at a footy club.

Sony always start slow but when their first party gets going they are hard to stop and I thought last year was their best year with Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank and The Last Guardian. We must remember in 2013 they had a ridiculous amount of first party coming out on the PS3 like the Last Of Us, Beyond two souls, GT6, Ratchet and Clank alongside they had Killzone, Driveclub,Knack and Infamous coming in March. Now their studios are used to the PS4 and are all in on big projects. This year could be the best with Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria, Nioh,Horizon, Nier Automata and Persona 5 all coming within the 4 months. A very Japanese heavy focus but still plenty of different genres and types of games but the best is still to come with Detroit,God Of War, Days Gone, Spiderman,Gran Turismo Sport and The Last Of Us Part 2.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 3, 2017, 08:06:13 pm »
Sony always start slow but when their first party gets going they are hard to stop and I thought last year was their best year with Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank and The Last Guardian. We must remember in 2013 they had a ridiculous amount of first party coming out on the PS3 like the Last Of Us, Beyond two souls, GT6, Ratchet and Clank alongside they had Killzone, Driveclub,Knack and Infamous coming in March. Now their studios are used to the PS4 and are all in on big projects. This year could be the best with Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria, Nioh,Horizon, Nier Automata and Persona 5 all coming within the 4 months. A very Japanese heavy focus but still plenty of different genres and types of games but the best is still to come with Detroit,God Of War, Days Gone, Spiderman,Gran Turismo Sport and The Last Of Us Part 2.

I really wish they'd produce a worthy rival to Forza though. Theyre the only games I'm jealous of X Box owners for having.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 3, 2017, 08:43:06 pm »
I really wish they'd produce a worthy rival to Forza though. Theyre the only games I'm jealous of X Box owners for having.

I'm quite happy with GT, but they need to fix the engine sounds and wheel squeal

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 3, 2017, 09:14:15 pm »

While not a direct rival. Shame they closed down Studio Liverpool and sorta abandoned Wipeout(I know some remasters are coming but still :/).

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 3, 2017, 11:54:06 pm »
While not a direct rival. Shame they closed down Studio Liverpool and sorta abandoned Wipeout(I know some remasters are coming but still :/).

Shutting down Evolution was worse. Driveclub has turned into a fantastic racer.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 4, 2017, 11:11:24 am »
Shutting down Evolution was worse. Driveclub has turned into a fantastic racer.

I've got it, it's ok but not in the same league as Forza for me personally.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 4, 2017, 12:22:01 pm »
I've got it, it's ok but not in the same league as Forza for me personally.

Assetto corsa is head and shoulders above Forza in terms of simulation, unfortunately it's not as polished in terms of presentation, career mode etc

But give it a go if your after a real driving sim

Even better if you have a PC then get it for that
« Last Edit: February 9, 2017, 07:43:00 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 9, 2017, 07:31:07 pm »
The full map:

Spoiler
[close]

Some insight into two beasts you will encounter in the world of Horizon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hltGnE3LU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZqpbpdQLCM

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 08:29:31 am »
First review got leaked by Engadget. Unintentionally and its been pulled now but that reviewer was really impressed especially with the lead character Aloy and the world in general.

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
  • https://twitter.com/Thommas86
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 11:00:22 am »
Here's the leaked review:

(Not a very good review though)

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:02:35 am by Scouserpool »
PSN: delete_one

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 11:04:55 am »
Here's the leaked review:

(Not a very good review though)

Spoiler
[close]

How's it not very good? It hasn't got a score at the end?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:12:29 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2017, 11:19:42 am »

I'd say they'd have popped a 9 on the end of that. It's a glowing review considering they say they don't generally go for long campaign focused games.

..... I on the other hand having pumped days into Fallout 4 will be like a pig in shit !

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2017, 11:24:57 am »
I'd say they'd have popped a 9 on the end of that. It's a glowing review considering they say they don't generally go for long campaign focused games.

..... I on the other hand having pumped days into Fallout 4 will be like a pig in shit !

It's not the most in depth review but the girl reviewing had clearly been submerged into the world and character that Guerilla have created which is important for me in story driven games.

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
  • https://twitter.com/Thommas86
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2017, 12:26:21 pm »

Yes. That's just it, mate.

I miss some review of the actual gameplay and history of the game. Lots of skeptics are skeptical about the history/narrative of the game, so the reviewer should have put more emphasis on this. Imo it's just alot about the character. Not saying it's the worst review I've ever read, but far from the best.

Anyway, enough about that. REally looking forward to the game, it looks beautiful! :-)
PSN: delete_one

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 10:05:49 am »
Getting some great reviews.