Author Topic: The PC Gaming Thread  (Read 261729 times)

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The PC Gaming Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2011, 12:44:25 pm »
The SSD is great for games and general Windows stuff, just so much quicker. Load times that can affect many games are significantly reduced.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2011, 01:46:24 pm »
with the 2 mins load times i'm getting on BF3 map change it's likely i'll be moving it to an SSD
STFU and agree with me.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2011, 03:12:03 pm »
As I've said, I'm like a kid in a candy-shop with my new computer. Bought two more games today. Crysis and Drakensang:The River of Time... :)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2011, 03:14:53 pm »
As I've said, I'm like a kid in a candy-shop with my new computer. Bought two more games today. Crysis and Drakensang:The River of Time... :)
Crysis is totally badass. Well, the jungle bit is anyway. As is Farcry 2 for me. I haven't given Drakensang a proper play yet but I've got one of them.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2011, 03:42:38 pm »
Hated Farcry2. Played it on my Xbox360. The only good thing in that is torching up everything in sight... :)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2011, 05:39:35 pm »
Hated Farcry2. Played it on my Xbox360. The only good thing in that is torching up everything in sight... :)
I really like it on the PC. The enemies spawn to quickly but I love it's open-ness, the feeling of stalking through the undergrowth with your tranq rifle, taking out an outpost without them even realising you're there!

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2011, 09:06:22 am »
I hated Far Cry 2.

Maybe it had to do with me thinking the original Far Cry was one of the best games of this generation. But they switched developers I think for that game, from crytek to ubisoft didn't they.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2011, 09:09:45 am »
Getting my machine delivered from the states finally tomorrow...  I usually download all my games via torrent, but I think I might have to get on this Steam thing you guys are discussing...

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2011, 11:34:35 am »
with the 2 mins load times i'm getting on BF3 map change it's likely i'll be moving it to an SSD

Moved my Battlefield 3 installation from my standard 1TB drive to my SSD and the load times are probably about 30% of what they were. Origin is a piece of shit though, there's no easy way to move your folder so you have to re-download the entire thing.
:D

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2011, 12:02:34 pm »
multiplayer maps load up in seconds for me.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2011, 12:32:34 pm »
Moved my Battlefield 3 installation from my standard 1TB drive to my SSD and the load times are probably about 30% of what they were. Origin is a piece of shit though, there's no easy way to move your folder so you have to re-download the entire thing.

ah there is, i used to have it set up for steam, you can create a shortcut that it thinks is real, so if you install it on C: and then move it do D: it still thinks it's on D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Yabazza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2011, 02:28:57 pm »
Just reading through this thread, Jesus you guys have some serious rigs.  I have a bog-standard Inspiron 530 Core2 duo 1.8Ghz.  I put in a Radeon HD4870 about a year ago and it's fine for what I use it for.  I'm playing through GTA4 EFLC again but I'm basically waiting for Skyrim and SW:TOR.  Hope my machine will run them ok.

Someone mentioned Frontier Elite 2 earlier, funnily enough I was playing that and the sequel Frontier First Encounters yesterday on DosBox.  If there was ever a game crying out to be remade it's Frontier.
May contain irony.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2011, 03:07:22 pm »
Just reading through this thread, Jesus you guys have some serious rigs.  I have a bog-standard Inspiron 530 Core2 duo 1.8Ghz.  I put in a Radeon HD4870 about a year ago and it's fine for what I use it for.  I'm playing through GTA4 EFLC again but I'm basically waiting for Skyrim and SW:TOR.  Hope my machine will run them ok.

Someone mentioned Frontier Elite 2 earlier, funnily enough I was playing that and the sequel Frontier First Encounters yesterday on DosBox.  If there was ever a game crying out to be remade it's Frontier.
What's First Encouters like? Frontier was incredible, it was me banging on about it. Towards the end of my mammoth addiction to it I was even starting to do fights, journeys and landings with manual control, incredibly satisfy getting the acceleration/deceleration arc just right so you ended up able to dock with a space station. I never managed a planetary landing though.

For those who've never played it, the game had a very real physics system...it took a lot of adjusting to not overshoot your target, or not have some other large planetary body fuck with your timings.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2011, 03:21:40 pm »
you would think they would remake Frontier/Elite, just think of the DLC

"Hyperion DLC: Access to the 40,000 planets in the Hyperion System"
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Yabazza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2011, 04:10:58 pm »
What's First Encouters like? Frontier was incredible, it was me banging on about it. Towards the end of my mammoth addiction to it I was even starting to do fights, journeys and landings with manual control, incredibly satisfy getting the acceleration/deceleration arc just right so you ended up able to dock with a space station. I never managed a planetary landing though.

For those who've never played it, the game had a very real physics system...it took a lot of adjusting to not overshoot your target, or not have some other large planetary body fuck with your timings.

First Encounters is pretty much the same as Frontier except the graphics was tweaked and they added some handcoded missions and a handful of new ships.  It was bugged to hell when it was released but if you patch it up it runs well enough.  Some of the battles were epic, especially if you got far along in the military career missions, they sent you to do bombing and recon runs and clouds of enemies would chase you :D

I had some blast of nostalgia browsing through some of the games on www.myabandonware.com  Some classics on there. 
May contain irony.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2011, 07:31:03 pm »
ah there is, i used to have it set up for steam, you can create a shortcut that it thinks is real, so if you install it on C: and then move it do D: it still thinks it's on D

Works on Steam that way but when I tried using that method with Origin it completely spazzed out and deleted my install. Perhaps you'll have a bit more luck with it, least all the settings are saved in the cloud any way.
:D

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2011, 10:19:05 pm »
i use this

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html#contact

this allows me to have steam games on my c drive and d drive, so games like black ops you can get in early to the servers if you have it on the SSD, games that aren't important like that, say a single player game, you can just have on the d drive
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2011, 10:28:14 pm »
If you remember Morrowind, or can't wait until Skyrim, get yourself a copy of it (the Game of the Year edition is incredibly cheap everywhere) and install this mod:

http://www.gamepron.com/news/2011/01/03/morrowind-2011-mod-complete-download-here/

The instructions are detailed and comprehensive, though make sure you follow EVERY step, step-by-step, and it really does make a Morrowind worthy of 2011. I was playing it for a good couple of months, Morrowind is an utterly awesome game, one of the very coolest worlds ever created for PC.

Arguably my favourite PC game of all time, certainly my favourite RPG. I remember when I first bought it, I was utterly blown away by how far ahead of its time it was. Still can't believe that was almost a decade ago. I even dug it out last year and still found myself immersed. Im going to have to download that mod, although its probably going to devastate my studies.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2011, 09:46:58 am »
does anyone have any spare games on steam? extra copies that they can gift, i'd be open to a trade i have 1 extra copy of Renegade Ops and 1 Frozen Synapse
STFU and agree with me.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2011, 11:53:24 am »
I've got about 10 copies of Portal....

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2011, 12:51:07 pm »
I appear to have a copy of Terraria, and a copy of L4D2 :P
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2011, 02:02:57 pm »
I appear to have a copy of Terraria, and a copy of L4D2 :P

I'd be willing to swap either Renegade ops or Frozen Synapse for Terraria
STFU and agree with me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2011, 02:03:17 pm »
I've got about 10 copies of Portal....

I've lost track of the amount of copies of that I've given away ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2011, 02:21:09 pm »
I'd be willing to swap either Renegade ops or Frozen Synapse for Terraria

I wouldn't mind trying synapse. its got interesting weapons yeah?
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2011, 02:23:14 pm »
no idea, i've barely even played it
STFU and agree with me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2011, 02:26:41 pm »
nearly 120 hours on dungeon defenders in 2 weeks?

that can't be right, can it, valore, are you aware of a place called 'outside' :)

if you want to make the trade i'll friend request you via the RAWK group
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2011, 02:38:31 pm »
Hahaha, been afk levelling. No time to play that much, that's the main issue. If you're enjoying Orks must die though, its something like that, with multiplayer.

And sure, why not.

Incidentally, anyone wanting to play the new co-op mode for Space Marine? I will when I get back to my main rig in a bit.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:54:35 pm by Valore »

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2011, 04:59:27 pm »
Took delivery of my machine today from the states...

Just got my machine opened up and inspecting...  It's smashed.  Case is smashed, motherboard is fucked, DVD burner is fucked, Power Supply is fucked.  Glad I had insurance, but it will only cover the cost of how much I paid over in the states for all this stuff, won't come near the cost over here.  Utterly fucking pissed to no end.  So my machine is out of commission for months it looks like.  c*nts.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2011, 07:38:47 pm »
http://www.fileplanet.com/223111/220000/fileinfo/Half-Life-2---No-More-Room-In-Hell-Mod

A HL2 mod, should be ok if you have any source game, looks like it might be interesting, or really really shit :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2011, 10:37:31 pm »
http://imgur.com/a/XkUMc

Now this is some top notch Support
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Megasuperb

• really would look good without that pattern
  • Legacy Fan
  • Diet Water Please
« Reply #150 on: November 1, 2011, 12:34:38 am »
Was gonna build a new PC here soon to get ready for the imminent release of awesome games coming up (BF3, TOR, Max Payne 3 etc etc) but then I saw this prebuilt:

AMD Phenom II X6 1065T(2.9GHz)
8GB DDR3
1TB HDD Capacity
AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB

For approx. £430

Not so bad I reckon   :wave Gonna order it when I get my next payment in a few days

Right - was supposed to order this but ordered something else pretty cloes to this instead, except with an AMD x6 1100t black edition and an Nvidia GTX 560 (is that even better or worse than the 6850?) for an extra 20 quid. Should be here before friday  :P

Never bought a prebuilt before so not gonna hold my breath on the build quality or anything.
Quote from: Mohammad Shahrul
We are going to bully them today. We are a big club. We are Liverpool
for God sake and we are marching to Wembley. The shit club like
Villa is just a sex slave for The Mighty Reds' lust.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: November 1, 2011, 09:18:22 am »
Right - was supposed to order this but ordered something else pretty cloes to this instead, except with an AMD x6 1100t black edition and an Nvidia GTX 560 (is that even better or worse than the 6850?) for an extra 20 quid. Should be here before friday  :P

Never bought a prebuilt before so not gonna hold my breath on the build quality or anything.

Personally, I doubt you'll be able to tell a difference between the two.  I would've gone for the 6850 myself, or 6950, but that's just me.  You won't be disappointed.

Offline pantbash

• is single and likely to remain that way
  • Kopite
  • A Bacchanalian - Still persecuted since BC
« Reply #152 on: November 1, 2011, 11:40:40 am »
you would think they would remake Frontier/Elite, just think of the DLC

"Hyperion DLC: Access to the 40,000 planets in the Hyperion System"

Or at least make flying to Beta Lyrae not blue screen the game. (-146,85)

I remember tooling up one of those massive fat freighter ships (full of fuel) and flying out there to have a look at it.

I loved that game, untill i got to the "end" and then could not move anywhere because of the amount of ships attacking me.
Basically bugged  :(

It looks like some russians have re-done the game in D3D, so you can all relive happy memories killing ooodles of police
http://www.spacesimcentral.com/downloads/ft2.php?dir=%2FFFED3D/FFE3D%20Complete
« Last Edit: November 1, 2011, 01:56:08 pm by pantbash »
Atheism (from Greek, "athos" meaning 'hell', "eios" meaning 'demon' or 'Satan', and "ismos" meaning Liberal, literally "Satan's Liberal Helldemon")

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #153 on: November 1, 2011, 02:44:29 pm »
Last piece of the new PC comes in Thursday, a Crucial M4 128gig SATA III SSD.

Athlon II X4 oc'd to 3.6Ghz
Crucial Ballistix RAM
Asus 6850
Fractal Design 1000
Samsung F3 1TB in Raid 0
Antec Neo 520W
+ Crucial M4

Nothing extravagant, but more than capable for gaming.
All non-ravens are non-black.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 1, 2011, 04:53:56 pm »
i might be wrong but aren't the 'black' AMDs unlocked so you can Overclock them easier
STFU and agree with me.

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #155 on: November 1, 2011, 06:12:55 pm »
Yes. The Athlons have a locked multiplier at 15. So to overclock, you have to change the FSB in the bios.

With the black editions, you can simply raise the multiplier. But it's not hard to overclock the locked version: just a matter of finding the highest speed near the stock voltage. 3.66Ghz at 1.42V for my setup. Got it up to 3.78Ghz at 1.49V, but it ran hot and 1.5V is probably not a good idea.
All non-ravens are non-black.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #156 on: November 1, 2011, 08:39:44 pm »
I overclock my black edition by using the FSB anyway

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: November 1, 2011, 08:43:28 pm »
Took delivery of my machine today from the states...

Just got my machine opened up and inspecting...  It's smashed.  Case is smashed, motherboard is fucked, DVD burner is fucked, Power Supply is fucked.  Glad I had insurance, but it will only cover the cost of how much I paid over in the states for all this stuff, won't come near the cost over here.  Utterly fucking pissed to no end. 

So my machine is out of commission for months it looks like.  c*nts.
Gutted for you, what a £"!$ard.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #158 on: November 2, 2011, 03:07:23 pm »
HI all,

I am thinking about picking this up for a cheapo gaming setup, selling my laptop to fund it.  What do you think is it worth the money?

I am selling the following desktop system for £295 inc. P&P:

Case: Antec 300
Case Fans: x3 120mm (2x Front, 1x Rear), x1 140mm (Top)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 445 Processor @ 3.875GHz (1.45V, 52C under load)
CPU Fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) 800MHz 4-4-4-12-2T
GPU: XFX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-216D
PSU: Antec TruePower New 550W Modular PSU
HDD: WDC WD4000AAKS-22YGA0 (400GB)

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 2, 2011, 03:31:42 pm »