Author Topic: Spirit of Shankly Q&A  (Read 300066 times)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2010, 11:56:07 pm »
Cheers Paul!

Just a bit surprised word of this hasn't been round a bit more. I've mentioned it in one of the threads on the "new stadium" board and nobody had heard of it. Think the possibility of staying at Anfield would bring a lot of support to the football quarter plan (and to SOS as well i'd think).

Can understand its a bit difficult to at the moment, with the elections coming up and so
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2010, 07:59:46 am »
Refurbished Anfield is one of the possibilities if not the better option for the Footbal Quarter. Football Quarter can include a New stadium though as well. Down to the architect why the pictures haven't been released as its his designs so while there is nothing confirmed with it then he doesn't want to release them at the moment. Football Quarter is progressing reasonably well with having meetings with different parties, but obviously there will be more to report on after the elections when we can actually get a definitive answer from the City Council leader about taking it forward. Warren Bradly said it was a cracking idea and Joe Anderson has offered his support to it, but obviously wont know what happens until after May 6th.

Its important that people sign the petition still and e-mail it round to everyone they know.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/footballquarter/

More info here (also check latest news section on there as well) http://www.spiritofshankly.com/football-quarter.html

Paul, can you at least say who it is? I know Ian Ritchie did a load of work at his own expense on an alternative design for the new site and hopefully it's someone of his stature.

If this scheme is a goer then it could be a massive rallying point to gain new members. I can't see the point in not publishing them. What's the worst that could happen?... some of his ideas might get incorporated into a scheme that allows us to stay at a re-developed Anfield.

He'll have copyright and I can't see any reason not to publish. If he's working on behalf of SOS tell him to pull his finger out and release the plans.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline TLT

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: April 25, 2010, 08:40:15 pm »
I am sure this is something that has crossed peoples minds, but what are the chances of getting outside the ground, with a good old fashioned Clipboard/application form. A bit like the Credit Card people you see, giving away a free shite scarf and all that.

Take the £10 off them there and then, give them the badge/membership card there and then. Or, get it posted in the next batch, and someone could sign up by direct debit?

It seems too obvious to me, and I've never seen them. So I can only assume that:

-  they have happened, and didn't work/get enough names out there
-  they can't happen for one reason or another (a certain permit/licence needed?)

Any thoughts?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #243 on: April 25, 2010, 09:10:46 pm »
I am sure this is something that has crossed peoples minds, but what are the chances of getting outside the ground, with a good old fashioned Clipboard/application form. A bit like the Credit Card people you see, giving away a free shite scarf and all that.

Take the £10 off them there and then, give them the badge/membership card there and then. Or, get it posted in the next batch, and someone could sign up by direct debit?

It seems too obvious to me, and I've never seen them. So I can only assume that:

-  they have happened, and didn't work/get enough names out there
-  they can't happen for one reason or another (a certain permit/licence needed?)

Any thoughts?

Great idea.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: April 25, 2010, 09:24:17 pm »
Do SOS have the blimp for the Chelsea game? I know there was ideas 'floating' about, to do similar to TLT's suggestion underneath the blimp.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #245 on: April 26, 2010, 09:12:42 am »
Paul, can you at least say who it is? I know Ian Ritchie did a load of work at his own expense on an alternative design for the new site and hopefully it's someone of his stature.

If this scheme is a goer then it could be a massive rallying point to gain new members. I can't see the point in not publishing them. What's the worst that could happen?... some of his ideas might get incorporated into a scheme that allows us to stay at a re-developed Anfield.

He'll have copyright and I can't see any reason not to publish. If he's working on behalf of SOS tell him to pull his finger out and release the plans.

Peter McGurk. The plans have been there from him a lot longer than SOS has. Obviously we can push it, but we have to respect his wishes.

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2010, 05:32:31 am »
Would it help membership numbers any if you's had discount for Under 16's, Students, OAP's...?

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2010, 08:08:31 am »
Would it help membership numbers any if you's had discount for Under 16's, Students, OAP's...?

We're in the process, over the summer, of looking at free memebrrship for 16 to 18 year olds.

Generally the £10 for UK membership is seen as a minimum sum to show commitment and to give credibilty to the numbers we have generated as members. Anyone can have a free registration (see other fan groups) and we haven't had any significant feedback saying the membership fee is a bar to membership.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: May 12, 2010, 10:05:44 am »
We're in the process, over the summer, of looking at free memebrrship for 16 to 18 year olds.

Generally the £10 for UK membership is seen as a minimum sum to show commitment and to give credibilty to the numbers we have generated as members. Anyone can have a free registration (see other fan groups) and we haven't had any significant feedback saying the membership fee is a bar to membership.

I don't think the fee is a bar to membership mate, but I think it might be restricting it. Shops, cinemas, various other groups/organizations... give discounts to the groups I mentioned. I assume they've done the market research, or looked at it and decided its in their interests financially to do so.

Why 16-18 for free? Whats the rational there, why not OAPs..?

Can I join my daughter up, she's 20 months old?

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: May 12, 2010, 10:14:52 am »
I don't think the fee is a bar to membership mate, but I think it might be restricting it. Shops, cinemas, various other groups/organizations... give discounts to the groups I mentioned. I assume they've done the market research, or looked at it and decided its in their interests financially to do so.

Why 16-18 for free? Whats the rational there, why not OAPs..?

Can I join my daughter up, she's 20 months old?

I think the rationale of a free membership for 16 to 18 (I suppose it may be extended to all juniors) is to get them on board early and involved. This section will develop over the summer hopefully (Paul G is looking after this).

I'll put forward free membership for Senior Citizens and see what the view is at the next meeting.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2010, 11:26:49 am »
I will be looking into youth memberships (with a sub committee) over the Summer. Would be great to have 5 year olds etc signed up as then it would be useful for things like the coaching camps, but there is the legal side of things we have to check with then with keeping a database of children / youth's details. So as long as these issues can be addressed suitably then it we will look into doing it.

We can look into other things as well like you have suggested. This would require a revamp of the database with extra details being required from existing members.

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: May 13, 2010, 01:50:04 am »
You could probably rope in a load of students on a discount at the right time and place as well. Maybe you've got a member or two at Liverpool Uni or John Moores, that could do a stall or something during freshers week?

Offline larrylimestreet

• Kopite
« Reply #252 on: May 13, 2010, 08:57:09 am »
£10 off 'One Night in Istanbul' at The Empire is a brilliant offer, and gets join up money back in one go.
The travel on coaches all year has saved loads of fans at least 50 quid - up the union!

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #253 on: May 13, 2010, 09:00:41 am »
You could probably rope in a load of students on a discount at the right time and place as well. Maybe you've got a member or two at Liverpool Uni or John Moores, that could do a stall or something during freshers week?

To do that at freshers week you would have to become a Society there. Could open up avenues there and that could potentially be a local branch then as well. Bit of work involved in the Society though and you would need a small charge on top of the SOS membership fee then if that Society wanted to do other things as well. It would be good to offer discounts in some senses to students etc, but start doing too many and it becomes unaffordable though. The £10 barely covers all administration costs as it is for a member's first year.

I'm at University of Liverpool at the moment, but will hopefully be gone by the time of freshers fair.

As with all of these things, if someone is at one of the Uni's, at a supporters club somewhere, big business with loads of Reds and wants to get more involved or just do their bit with spreading the word, then get in touch. Could get them membership forms to spread around or help them set up a local branch and so on.

Offline redjed1

• Kopite
« Reply #254 on: May 14, 2010, 12:13:18 pm »
I posted this on another thread, maybe its more relevent on this one?
I've since read somewhere else that membership is about 7000.

"Quote from: RedPat on Today at 12:06:41 AM
Why has SOS only got 5000 members the apathy is dumbfounding."

After the recent grim financial news, I can feel a growing support for SOS. I joined yesterday because I feared for the future of our club.

How about SOS showing their membership numbers (on their website?) and regularly updating the figure, so people can see their support growing among LFC supporters?

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #255 on: May 14, 2010, 01:56:54 pm »
I posted this on another thread, maybe its more relevent on this one?
I've since read somewhere else that membership is about 7000.

"Quote from: RedPat on Today at 12:06:41 AM
Why has SOS only got 5000 members the apathy is dumbfounding."

After the recent grim financial news, I can feel a growing support for SOS. I joined yesterday because I feared for the future of our club.

How about SOS showing their membership numbers (on their website?) and regularly updating the figure, so people can see their support growing among LFC supporters?

Its a possibility. Will suggest it to others. Obviously our facebook group tells you on the page already with 26,134 on there currently.

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2010, 01:31:58 pm »
This has probably been suggested before for a merchandising idea but how about getting some Car Stickers done, easy way to raise awareness and show support.

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #257 on: June 2, 2010, 04:21:57 pm »
Is there a leaflet or brochure on the Spirit Of Shankly website, that you can print out yourself, with information about SOS? That would be easy to hand out to Liverpool fans around my town or leave a couple at the pub.

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: June 2, 2010, 04:28:54 pm »
Is there a leaflet or brochure on the Spirit Of Shankly website, that you can print out yourself, with information about SOS? That would be easy to hand out to Liverpool fans around my town or leave a couple at the pub.
Here you go: http://www.spiritofshankly.com/dlc-leaflets-posters.html

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #259 on: June 2, 2010, 04:35:47 pm »
Cheers.

Offline SteB

• Kopite
  • Our Reason, Our Inspiration, Our Pride. JFT 96
« Reply #260 on: June 4, 2010, 10:46:44 am »
Get rafa signed up. Hopefully nothing to stop him now and i know if already has a badge
What you see is what you get Youve made your bed, you better lie in it You choose your leaders and place your trust As their lies wash you down and their promises rust Youll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns And the public wants what the public gets But I dont get what this society wants

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: June 4, 2010, 02:56:28 pm »
May I ask what is the current financial status of SOS?

Current balance , expenses and so on? There are close to 7000 members if I am not mistaken and the membership is £10 to that is really a total of close to £70000..

Before some people jump on the negative wagon and start slamming me for the question please respect my position as I would like where I am putting my money in.. Adding £10 is not an issue and I am more than happy to do so but the fan ownership a realistic target ?

I have really respected and appreciated the SOS communication , find it very professional and accurate.
The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: June 4, 2010, 03:21:19 pm »
May I ask what is the current financial status of SOS?

Current balance , expenses and so on? There are close to 7000 members if I am not mistaken and the membership is £10 to that is really a total of close to £70000..

Before some people jump on the negative wagon and start slamming me for the question please respect my position as I would like where I am putting my money in.. Adding £10 is not an issue and I am more than happy to do so but the fan ownership a realistic target ?

I have really respected and appreciated the SOS communication , find it very professional and accurate.

We have about £40000 in the bank and no current significant liabilities.

We, though, will not be holding your money - that will be ringfenced and safe in a properly regulated credit union.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #263 on: June 4, 2010, 08:16:40 pm »

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #264 on: June 7, 2010, 01:01:30 am »
Questions in relation to forming a branch overseas.

1) Must we follow the current membership fee's given branch's appear to be restricted to only signing up to 100 members?

2) If we are restricted to 100 members, that limits the funding for the branch drastically as costs to set up a proper registered social body and promoting the branch does add up in cost.

3) Does SOS subsidize a small portion of the running costs of the branch's overseas? i.e. 500 pounds per year to cover rental of the premsis of the branch office and hiring of a club secretary on a full time basis to promote the society.

Just wanted some clarification on this.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #265 on: June 7, 2010, 09:39:38 am »
Questions in relation to forming a branch overseas.

1) Must we follow the current membership fee's given branch's appear to be restricted to only signing up to 100 members?

2) If we are restricted to 100 members, that limits the funding for the branch drastically as costs to set up a proper registered social body and promoting the branch does add up in cost.

3) Does SOS subsidize a small portion of the running costs of the branch's overseas? i.e. 500 pounds per year to cover rental of the premsis of the branch office and hiring of a club secretary on a full time basis to promote the society.

Just wanted some clarification on this.

You become a member of SOS first. If branches then want to charge an extra membership then they can do to help support their activities but obviously needs to be fully accounted and audited as per the constitution.

We are able to help with things regarding promoting branches and so on, and dependent on costs etc and approval from finance committee then there may be chance to help out with some things, but obviously everything has to be fully justified. For instance the SOS as a whole does not have a full time employee or any premises at present due to costs involved.

50-100 is only a starting point as well, so it can be reviewed as things progress.

Graham will probably be able to add a bit more on the branches as well on things.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: June 7, 2010, 10:14:41 am »

Thanks for the input Paul. Its a start....cheers..
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline wiresnreds

• Kopite
  • Internet Terrorist + Proud
« Reply #267 on: June 8, 2010, 05:19:37 pm »
Hi, quick question for SOS members who went to the Purslow meeting, was KK involved to give direction on the protests (IE stop as they are harming the club) ???? I presume not as it was never mentioned.............. Thanks............
IIRC - If I Remember Correctly :( (Which i can never remember )

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: June 9, 2010, 04:36:01 am »
You become a member of SOS first. If branches then want to charge an extra membership then they can do to help support their activities but obviously needs to be fully accounted and audited as per the constitution.

We are able to help with things regarding promoting branches and so on, and dependent on costs etc and approval from finance committee then there may be chance to help out with some things, but obviously everything has to be fully justified. For instance the SOS as a whole does not have a full time employee or any premises at present due to costs involved.

50-100 is only a starting point as well, so it can be reviewed as things progress.

Graham will probably be able to add a bit more on the branches as well on things.
[/quote

Had more questions/clarifications needed:

1) All members who are interested in forming 1 branch overseas must join the SOS first. Correct?
2) All subscribers to the branch must join the SOS first instead of paying the branch the membership fees. Correct?
3) Are overseas branch's encouraged?
4) How can overseas branch's contribute to the cause?

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: June 9, 2010, 10:22:17 pm »
Hi, quick question for SOS members who went to the Purslow meeting, was KK involved to give direction on the protests (IE stop as they are harming the club) ???? I presume not as it was never mentioned.............. Thanks............

Purslow was alone in our February meeting (which I think he subsequently regretted!)

Dalglish was seen in the building at the September meeting, and met those attending, but didn't make any comments about protests.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #270 on: June 9, 2010, 11:01:57 pm »
Had more questions/clarifications needed:

1) All members who are interested in forming 1 branch overseas must join the SOS first. Correct?
2) All subscribers to the branch must join the SOS first instead of paying the branch the membership fees. Correct?
3) Are overseas branch's encouraged?
4) How can overseas branch's contribute to the cause?

1) Yes
2) Yes, but if the branch wants to charge a branch membership then that is there choice, but obviously have to go through the necessary accounting and regulation procedures as per the constitution.
3) Overseas branches like any other branches are strongly encouraged.
4) Gives you a chance to get involved more by having a more direct line of contact whilst representing the branches views. You could organise your own activity and even travel to improve aspects for SOS members in your area and to be able to spread the word of SOS more.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: June 9, 2010, 11:58:22 pm »
1) Yes
2) Yes, but if the branch wants to charge a branch membership then that is there choice, but obviously have to go through the necessary accounting and regulation procedures as per the constitution.
4) Gives you a chance to get involved more by having a more direct line of contact whilst representing the branches views. You could organise your own activity and even travel to improve aspects for SOS members in your area and to be able to spread the word of SOS more.

Thanks paul. Appreciate the reply.

Offline crazy_daisy

• Main Stander
  • We are the only ones worthy of owning this club
« Reply #272 on: June 16, 2010, 04:05:03 pm »
1) Yes

ref point 3>

a) we at "Balkan REDS" are ready to open a branch of SoS to cover members in Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia & H, Montenegro, Romania & Macedonia..

to
1)Develop local membership
2) Maintain the "Liverpool way"
and
3) most urgently... to support the buy out...

b) we wonder why, the "readers letter"  sent to SoS by email in february , and ubliched as the leading letter in the "KOP" magazine of MARCH 2009 which proposed the action you now start to take was ignored?
..in fact on RAWK members actually discarded the writer, with distain and various "put downs" ..pm me if you want further evidence!

"What you achieve in life echoes in eternity."
"Dont argue with an idiot . He will just lower you to his level and beat you with experience"
"You must believe that you are the best and then make sure that you are."-Bill Shankly
BalKan REDS, Liverpool Pub, Bar, Montenegro 22-23may 2010
if you care,  OWN a SHARE, because WE ARE the CLUB

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #273 on: June 17, 2010, 08:36:38 am »
ref point 3>

a) we at "Balkan REDS" are ready to open a branch of SoS to cover members in Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia & H, Montenegro, Romania & Macedonia..

to
1)Develop local membership
2) Maintain the "Liverpool way"
and
3) most urgently... to support the buy out...

b) we wonder why, the "readers letter"  sent to SoS by email in february , and ubliched as the leading letter in the "KOP" magazine of MARCH 2009 which proposed the action you now start to take was ignored?
..in fact on RAWK members actually discarded the writer, with distain and various "put downs" ..pm me if you want further evidence!

Not sure what you are referring to there. PM with details if you want. On contacting us, we try to answer every e-mail we get, but particularly to the admin address we get tonnes of e-mails and with us being volunteers it is hard to give all of them a massive in depth reply.

With regards to on here, its the nature of a forum and any discussion. Right or wrong at different points in time people have different opinions on things and particularly the action that is required. We always must understand that at a certain point in time an idea might not have sufficient support to be successful, but it doesn't mean that it will never have sufficient support.

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: June 18, 2010, 07:26:17 pm »
Who's the best person to email re: SOS t-shirts, ordered 27th May, ta.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #275 on: June 18, 2010, 11:14:08 pm »
Who's the best person to email re: SOS t-shirts, ordered 27th May, ta.

Fran at chair@spiritofshankly.com

Offline JD77

• Main Stander
    • LFC Reds
« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2010, 12:20:05 am »
I've got a question.  It's a serious one.

With a membership of over 6000, how come you let a show of hands of less than 10% of that number dictate SOS policy?

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2010, 01:19:00 am »
I've got a question.  It's a serious one.

With a membership of over 6000, how come you let a show of hands of less than 10% of that number dictate SOS policy?

We didn't. See my post in reply to yours.

We invited views on boycotts from all members prior to the meeting and as the person who collated the significant number of email responses there were many that asked about different types of boycott (now being explored) but none that I recall that called for existing season ticket holders to give up their tickets as they recognised that they would merely be replaced by the next person on a vastly oversubscribed waiting list.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2010, 01:23:14 am »
I've got a question Graham, How many people who are regular matchgoers/seasies would it take for SOS to reconsider there stance on a match boycott of say just a stand or a block?
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline JD77

• Main Stander
    • LFC Reds
« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2010, 01:42:19 am »
I didn't mention anything about Season Ticket holders giving up their season tickets.