Author Topic: Beşiktaş J.K. (0) v (1) Liverpool FC- H/T 0-0 Discussion  (Read 88210 times)

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Think we will have problems playing out from the back with Skrtel, Lovren and Toure as our CB's. Given all our injuries and the fact that Sturridge is back, I would fancy us going back to the 4-2-3-1 formation.

Mignolet
Manquilo, skrtel, Lovren, Moreno
              Can, Allen
Ibe             Lallana         Sterling
                 Sturridge

Pace to hit them on the break.
How does the 4-2-3-1 help our ability to play out from the back though? Does it make it any easier for Skrtel and Lovren? Because theoretically it actually makes it harder. If the FBs get forward you're reliant on two CBs rather than three to initiate play from the back. That is a more precarious situation. Then you start having to drop a midfielder back in which can take away something through midfield.

For us, it's better that we stick to three at the back.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
Despite all the talk about last week's tie and of whether Balotelli was our first choice taker when Gerrard wasn't on the pitch etc there is a very good argument to say that regardless of whether Gerrard is on the pitch, Balotelli should be taking our penalties anyway. The only issue is how often he's on the pitch.

That's the big question and the only one at that.

"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
76,000 sell out apparently. Ground will be electric.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
I'm always amazed in every pre-match thread that folks keep suggesting we change our formation.  We've gone from bobbins to the form team in Europe with this change of shape. Why on earth would we go back to to the 4-2-3-1 which saw looking over our shoulder at the bottom half of the Prem???

Playing away in Turkey tonight and taking on City on Sunday will be our biggest test of the season, and define it to a large extent.  We have to play a weakened/rotated side tonight as we need the "first 11" for City.

I always want to win but I'd take two draws now.

Migs 

Lovren   Skrtel   Toure

Ibe    Can    Allen     Moreno

Sterling          Lallana

Balotelli

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
76,000 sell out apparently. Ground will be electric.
We can still pull em in that has to be down to the great name of Lfc come on reds
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Dirk still looks like he could wake up in the morning, get out of bed and run a marathon before breakfast.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Can see why though Samie. There are lots of attacking options in that formation- 3 strikers up-front OR 2 wingers and a striker OR 1 winger, one striker and main striker OR just the one striker with attacking midfielders or nr 10s all around him... possibilities.. and you'll always have 5 in the middle.

and we know fans would want to throw on all the strikers in ANY type of game without a care for any tactics. Just "Up and at 'em lads!", "chop, chop!", "Let's have a go!". If our supporters had their way: our team would look like this:

Mignolet
Flanagan Can Sakho Moreno
        Lucas  Henderson
Ibe     Coutinho     Lallana(Gerrard) Sterling
               Sturridge

And they'd play them until they're injury ravaged- no matter that that team is unbalanced. If they're out-tacticed, they'd just assume the players didn't "work hard" enough. If there's a dip, they'd just assume it's time to bring in the subs so there's "competition". "Football is a simple game", they'd say.

Like the poster below you said- it's the new 4-4-2: "exciting", familiar, reliable but also easily ripped to shit.
Evidently the fans have forgotten how many endlessly boring performances we showed with Rafas 4231, often winning by 1-0 thanks to a strike of genius by Gerrard. It very often ends up as a static 451. The system is mostly about defense. In attack we have to move around anyway.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
Despite all the talk about last week's tie and of whether Balotelli was our first choice taker when Gerrard wasn't on the pitch etc there is a very good argument to say that regardless of whether Gerrard is on the pitch, Balotelli should be taking our penalties anyway. The only issue is how often he's on the pitch.
Most of Gerrard's misses goes far back in time. Because I'm a sad bastard, I looked up his last 30 penalties, and he's scored 27 of them. So not a great difference between him and Balotelli, and certainly not big enough to let Balotelli take them. Gerrard is brilliant at them now.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
Most of Gerrard's misses goes far back in time. Because I'm a sad bastard, I looked up his last 30 penalties, and he's scored 27 of them. So not a great difference between him and Balotelli, and certainly not big enough to let Balotelli take them. Gerrard is brilliant at them now.
I didn't deny any of those things though. I still think there's a very good argument to say that Balotelli should be first choice taker. As it is, I don't think it hugely matters to be honest - they're both clearly very good. The argument is still there for Balotelli taking them over Gerrard though
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Not just now- for years. I can only remember one penalty miss in the last 6/7 years, if I'm honest.
'
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
But why would you though? What would be gained from doing it?

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
Not just now- for years. I can only remember one penalty miss in the last 6/7 years, if I'm honest.
'
Those 30 I went through goes back to 2010. The misses are against Blackburn under Hodgson (which almost seemed intentional, hehe), West Brom in Rodgers first season and United last year, in the same game he had already scored two. That is the only miss out of his last 20 by the way.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Those 30 I went through goes back to 2010. The misses are against Blackburn under Hodgson (which almost seemed intentional, hehe), West Brom in Rodgers first season and United last year, in the same game he had already scored two. That is the only miss out of his last 20 by the way.
It's the United one I'm remembering. I forgot the West Brom penalty.
I'm blocking out the Blackburn/Hodgson one. Whatever you say, I'm not listening...

;D
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
Dirk still looks like he could wake up in the morning, get out of bed and run a marathon before breakfast.
Shame he left us really suited to the tactics Brendan employs was always good at closing down.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
But why would you though? What would be gained from doing it?

Surely there's an argument for removing the penalty taking duties from our club captain, legend and all round fantastic penalty taker with only probably a dozen or so games left of his illustrious Liverpool career?

In fact if we get a penno in Gerrard's last game at Anfield in front of the KOP, lets quickly sub Balotelli on so he can take it.

I can see NO argument whatsoever in having Balo taking pens in front of Gerrard unless its arguing for arguing sake.

Offline LondonRapLondon

• "Please leave me alone.....These little forum games are annoying."
  • Kopite
Shame he left us really suited to the tactics Brendan employs was always good at closing down.

Think a Dirk in his peak would certainly do well under BR's system. He always came up with important goals. Oh yeah and a good penalty taker

Offline LondonRapLondon

• Kopite
I'm not too sure how this goes in training. Before the second leg of a Euro game (or any cup game that could go to pens) do the players normally have penalty shoot out practice in their last training session before the match? Or is it something they just do continually throughout the season so never really practice before a specific game?

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
massive game tonight...want us to get through this.

They will no doubt try make this intimidating and our kids are gonna have a great experience whatever happens....but i still reckon we are good for an away goal and will get it. And i trust our defence to not ship 3

Frustrate them

Frustrate the crowd

Fizzle the game out

cmon redmen! Hope everyone who made it out there gets back safe n sound
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Based on what, though? The first team play 3-4-3, the Academy teams play 3-4-3. It seems like it's here to stay.

Every game, there's at least one person who posts a 4-2-3-1 line-up.  I'm guessing they're Manquillo fans.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Damn well looking forward to this.
Just trust we go out there and give a good account of ourselves, put out a strong team, and play as we have been doing. Do that, and I'm confident we will go through to the next round.

This game's got nothing to with Sunday's match. Saving for the bigger game is what other teams do, and invariably they end up cocking both games up. We're different, and we always have been. We will win tonight, then concern ourselves with what's next.

Come on Liverpool!!

And hope anyone gone out there has a great, safe, enjoyable time  :)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline LondonRapLondon

• Kopite
Every game, there's at least one person who posts a 4-2-3-1 line-up.  I'm guessing they're Manquillo fans.

Maybe Manquillo could adapt to the right CB position in a back 3.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
Best pub/bar in Liverpool to watch the game? Heading over this afternoon.

Hope to see an attacking line-up so we can grab an early goal!

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
Can't wait to hopefully see can in the midfield.

I'm expecting ibe to play this match with lazar banned, giving lazar a nice weeks rest. Also expecting coutinho to be rested for the man city game on Sunday.

Also want to see lovren try and play more in a back 3 so hopefully  one day we see more of can in midfield but still maintain a solid defence.

Skrtel. Toure. Lovren

IBe                   Allen        can.          Moreno

Lallana.                 Sterling

Sturridge

PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
Re: Beşiktaş (0) v (1) Liverpool FC- Europa League Round of 32 Thurs 26th Feb
« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2015, 12:27:43 pm »
Hope everyone is keeping an eye on that pesky early start. I only just noticed it when looking through tv listings. What a great place to get through to the next round at eh?
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Not arsed about the performance in the slighest. A drab 0-0 will do me just fine!

Understand quite a few youngsters made the trip, any chance of them making the bench?

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
Can't wait to hopefully see can in the midfield.

I'm expecting ibe to play this match with lazar banned, giving lazar a nice weeks rest. Also expecting coutinho to be rested for the man city game on Sunday.

Also want to see lovren try and play more in a back 3 so hopefully  one day we see more of can in midfield but still maintain a solid defence.

Skrtel. Toure. Lovren

IBe                   Allen        can.          Moreno

Lallana.                 Sterling

Sturridge

Good team that, given injuries etc, I'd be tempted to play a goalie though  ;)
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Are you Chelsea in disguise?

^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
pre match
« Reply #547 on: February 26, 2015, 12:38:37 pm »
I had a look over there and those boys pay close attention to rawk haha. Well, here's to a great game played competitively, but fairly, fellas. May the best team win.  :scarf

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan

I think he could, he's sound defensively, but I'm just not sure he could bring the ball out like Can or play some solid passes (with high success rate) like Sakho.   I think we'll see him as RWB when we want to keep it tight and play more like a back 5.   Similar to how we brought Johnson on against Southampton. 

Offline bodhisattva

• Legacy Fan

I personally think he's a better option there than Lovren or Toure, but i do understand why Lovren is getting a chance.

But Manquillo is a very solid defender, is used to defending out wide and is used to those 1 v 1's with fast, tricky players.

On the ball he's no Can but he's probably more comfortable than Lovren or Toure.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
Re: pre match
« Reply #550 on: February 26, 2015, 12:44:11 pm »
I had a look over there and those boys pay close attention to rawk haha. Well, here's to a great game played competitively, but fairly, fellas. May the best team win.  :scarf

Any link mate? Just out of curiosity.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Are you Chelsea in disguise?

To be fair, it's better than selfie sticks and iPads, which distract from the game.  Waving a flag maybe has some psychological effect, with people losing some of their inhibitions and singing/shouting.  While the modern phenomena of taking iPads and smartphones, instead of rattles and flags, may have the reverse effect.  It distances you from the game and connects you with the outside world.  Cod psychology, I know.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan

Offline LondonRapLondon

• Kopite
Good team that, given injuries etc, I'd be tempted to play a goalie though  ;)

;D ;D ;D

Offline LondonRapLondon

• Kopite
I personally think he's a better option there than Lovren or Toure, but i do understand why Lovren is getting a chance.

But Manquillo is a very solid defender, is used to defending out wide and is used to those 1 v 1's with fast, tricky players.

On the ball he's no Can but he's probably more comfortable than Lovren or Toure.

Yeh, and he's young so he can improve on those areas where he is lacking.

Offline LondonRapLondon

• Kopite
I think he could, he's sound defensively, but I'm just not sure he could bring the ball out like Can or play some solid passes (with high success rate) like Sakho.   I think we'll see him as RWB when we want to keep it tight and play more like a back 5.   Similar to how we brought Johnson on against Southampton.

Good point

Could come in use ths season, I know GJ is ahead of him but he seems to be quite injury prone so Manq may be used in a /euro away tie when we're defending a lead in that system this season.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Just realized we're the early game :( sucks.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Just realized we're the early game :( sucks.
yea, 6pm. I'll have to cut my study short and hit the pub