Author Topic: Daws on Steven Gerrard  (Read 9607 times)

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
Re: Daws on Steven Gerrard
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 01:17:17 am »
The power and power endurance is probably better said as sprint and sprint repeatability. In other words, in the first 15 minutes, he can make numerous sprints. After that, he starts to tire, and isn't able to sprint as fast, turn as fast, and make as many sprints in a short time, the longer the game goes on

Yeah he can stay going for the 90 at a decent enough pace, his agility, turning speed, sprint speed all drop as the game gets into the later stages.

As regards Stamina, he could run a marathon.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 01:18:44 am »
Yeah he can stay going for the 90 at a decent enough pace, his agility, turning speed, sprint speed all drop as the game gets into the later stages.

As regards Stamina, he could run a marathon.

Yep, his stamina isn't in question. His ability to sprint after a certain amount of time is, and unfortunately he plays in an area of the field that requires a lot of sprinting.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Hollywood Balls

• Pine Wood Cock
  • Kopite
  • "Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville."
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 01:19:43 am »
Stamina is based on his oxygen intake as much as his muscular power

The power and power endurance is probably better said as sprint and sprint repeatability. In other words, in the first 15 minutes, he can make numerous sprints. After that, he starts to tire, and isn't able to sprint as fast, turn as fast, and make as many sprints in a short time, the longer the game goes on

I see - many thanks. I guess we can't sub him after 15 mins then unless we replace Brendan with Jose  ;D

From what I understand from what you're saying, his sprinting ability decreases with time quicker than an average player in the team (I'm presuming you chose the 15 minutes to illustrate an arbitrary point rather than from Gerrard's personal data). So perhaps it could be that playing Gerrard in that position would be worse than Johnson / Kelly during the match; but then the quandary is where we can fit him in? Given his assist statistics and Johnson's form over the past three matches would it not make more sense to play him there than to put him on the bench or play him in central midfield?

Even if it meant substituting him at halftime the overall ability of the team would be enhanced. He doesn't lose the ability to run after 15 minutes - he just tires faster than others. Yet he has more than enough other contributions to make that might make up for this (leadership, dead ball skills etc.)

*all comments are courtesy of pinot grigio
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts: CAN'T LOSE!

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 01:37:40 am »
I see - many thanks. I guess we can't sub him after 15 mins then unless we replace Brendan with Jose  ;D

From what I understand from what you're saying, his sprinting ability decreases with time quicker than an average player in the team (I'm presuming you chose the 15 minutes to illustrate an arbitrary point rather than from Gerrard's personal data). So perhaps it could be that playing Gerrard in that position would be worse than Johnson / Kelly during the match; but then the quandary is where we can fit him in? Given his assist statistics and Johnson's form over the past three matches would it not make more sense to play him there than to put him on the bench or play him in central midfield?

Even if it meant substituting him at halftime the overall ability of the team would be enhanced. He doesn't lose the ability to run after 15 minutes - he just tires faster than others. Yet he has more than enough other contributions to make that might make up for this (leadership, dead ball skills etc.)

*all comments are courtesy of pinot grigio

Johnson is still a very capable full-back. He suffers from his odd 'drunken games' (As the Anfield wrap boys have said) where he seems to be disorientated and possibly not fully understanding the system thats being played. On the other hand he can have fantastic games where his attacking threat is enormous.

In the tighter/tougher games against the bigger teams, the system and the way the team is asked to play is undoubtedly more complicated, I think he struggles with that, as hes certainly not 'past it' yet.

On Gerrard in the central midfield role, all hope is definitely not lost for him there I just feel if we can rotate him appropriately we will get more out of him in his shorter time on the pitch. I think Brendan has massive respect for Gerrard (And rightly so) but it could get in the way of the betterment of this team and the longevity and effectiveness of the rest of Stevie's career.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 01:47:02 am »
This Gerrard at RB idea brought up images of Dario Srna.

Ludi Circenses!

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2013, 02:38:19 am »
He's still one of the best athletes on the team - isn't his problem stamina? (which is why i said fullback rather than wingback)
You probably need more stamina to play right back these days than even CM.

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
  • Once a Red Always a Red WE BLEED RED!!
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2013, 02:56:02 am »
We all bleed RED!!

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 03:45:46 am »
What a legend!

Not sure if his best position is this: AM, just behind the lone striker or a couple of strikers. He'd be perfect for a counter attack - Sakho clears the ball from a corner and quickly passes to Stevie G. Stevie sees the run of Sterling on the right and pings one absolute beauty of a raking pass and beats the opposition backline. Sterling beats a couple of players at the byline and makes a low cross in front of the goal, just inches away from the goalie's reach and..... Suarez arrives to send the ball to the back corner of the net. Goal!

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2013, 03:56:57 am »
What a legend!

Not sure if his best position is this: AM, just behind the lone striker or a couple of strikers. He'd be perfect for a counter attack - Sakho clears the ball from a corner and quickly passes to Stevie G. Stevie sees the run of Sterling on the right and pings one absolute beauty of a raking pass and beats the opposition backline. Sterling beats a couple of players at the byline and makes a low cross in front of the goal, just inches away from the goalie's reach and..... Suarez arrives to send the ball to the back corner of the net. Goal!
Cut out the Stevie bit, but something like this?

Offline brownbear11

• Kopite
  • aht and aboot, ˇdale!
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2013, 04:54:59 am »
Definitely agree - I hope he gets to lift the trophy before he hangs those boots up. Would have loved Carra to be around to be able to lift it as well, but that wasn't to be.

If we're near/at the top towards the end of this season or next, sign him up ala Scholes and Giggs at United.

Offline Halibut-Thumb

• I apologise for my shit user name and piss-poor spelling. You know, my friends and family tell me they are surprised I couldn't think of anything better. Ah well, such is life.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Lesbian ham?
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2013, 05:07:14 am »
First of all, great OP sums up my exact feelings about the legend, the God that is Steven Gerrard. I grew up idolising him aswell, his insane bullet goals, his ability to pick the team up and carry them across the line by himself was amazing. In 2005 we had probably the shittest team ever to win the European Cup (the Porto fairytale the year prior the only one at least recently I can think could even be included in the conversation), but Stevie put in one of the greatest performances you will ever see in any sport, that 5th star which should be displayed above the crest more often is as much his as anyone's. Everything about Gerrad oozes class, and he would probably be the one footballer I respect the most in the history of the sport, at least the only one I respect as much as the King.

This is a bit from left-field (*prospective pun alert* actually he'd probably be better on the right), i'd love to hear RAWK's thoughts.. I think we could still get all the best out of Stevie's incredible technical ability, without sacrificing the midfield strength and balance Lucas, Hendo, Allen provides. Playing him were Sterling was against Spurs I think would be incredible. He would be amazing during counter attacks there, yes he isn't the quickest these days, but his vision, ability to hit a sixpence from 60 metres away, and intelligence of passing choices would mean the genius runs made by the likes of Hendo, Suarez and Sturridge wouldn't go unrewarded. He is one of the classiest finishers in world football still, and having him as effectively a wide forward would mean he'd get alot more chances to score and you wouldn't see the same wastefulness some of the younger lads in the squad have should a good opportunity come his way. He'll be able to outmuscle and outwit the majority of fullbacks he comes across, I think he'd balance out brilliantly with Johnson behind him, plus his tackling ability and strength would be fantastic when he gets back to help out in defence.. He can cross as good as anyone in world ever, he'd draw defenders and make it impossible not to give someone world class space in our most advances positions without completely parking the bus. Coupled with a machine of a midfield this would be incredibly effective, almost impossible to play a highline without being punished and therefore very hard to assert any kind of dominance over us. When he played on the right under Rafa he scored for fun and was very fucking good, alot has changed since then and I don't think he'd have the same reservations, he now plays in a team with Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho, arguably the best attack in his LFC career, if you don't agree with that surely you'd agree it has that potential..

We need to get him on the pitch somewhere, his setpieces, leadership and ability do change a game in an instant with his class cannot be replaced. The only issue is with a fully fit squad who out of Sturridge and Coutinho looses their place, Sturridge I guess it isnt clear even how he'd fit into they way we've played most recently.. Anyway i'm rambling now, thoughts ?
In Soviet Russia, fish fingers you.