Author Topic: Prince Phillip has died  (Read 35926 times)

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Prince Phillip has died
« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2021, 12:20:44 pm »
Ceremonial head of state (to give a serious answer).

Royalty as a concept is nuts, but I quite like the separation of political and ceremonial roles of head of state.  In most countries they are the same job.

It's a job that with a small amount of training most people could do, and she gets paid an absolute fortune to do and lives a life of luxury for.

It deserves no special treatment or recognition compared to your average person.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2021, 12:21:48 pm »
Ceremonial head of state (to give a serious answer).

Royalty as a concept is nuts, but I quite like the separation of political and ceremonial roles of head of state.  In most countries they are the same job.

Luckily I live in Republic where we get to vote for our ceremonial head of state every 7 years. Ye should try it out, it's the 21st century after all.

I'd be very slow to call it an actual job as well.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #722 on: April 18, 2021, 12:22:16 pm »
You're probably going to need to isolate yourself from the telly, the internet and the circulation of the planet when the Queen dies.
I'll definitely be logging off RAWK for a while when that happens :wave I'm so happy to be living in a constitutional republic at the moment, if I was back in the UK now I'd lose my mind.......

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #723 on: April 18, 2021, 12:26:53 pm »
Black and white thinking pervades humanity and will not go away unfortunately.

For instance; when I was training to be a counsellor a question came up as to whether or not we would be ok with counselling a paedophile? It's been mentioned on mental health sites I used to go on too. Thing is, yes, I would counsel a paedophile, but in the eyes of some, that means you are suspect in some way. They say how can you empathise with them if you aren't like them? Thing is, I counsel human beings, not labels.

Point I'm making being that, in the eyes of many, if you can do A, you must also sympathise with B, so that means you must be C. As you said, there is no nuance whatsoever with a lot of people. It's all black and white, and when it is, wildly inaccurate conclusions can be jumped to. This happens in all manner of scenarios.

Nail on the head and a great post once again SOS
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #724 on: April 18, 2021, 12:27:53 pm »

Luckily I live in Republic where we get to vote for our ceremonial head of state every 7 years. Ye should try it out, it's the 21st century after all.

Have you still got Norris Cole’s dad in charge?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #725 on: April 18, 2021, 12:31:16 pm »

I think the republic have chosen their presidents quite well. I’m not sure I’d have the same trust in the British public though ;D

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #726 on: April 18, 2021, 12:33:06 pm »
I think the republic have chosen their presidents quite well. I’m not sure I’d have the same trust in the British public though ;D

Quite. Do they have to come from a political background? Because we’ll be fucked then. And even if we don’t, we’ll end up with President Gemma Collins.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: April 18, 2021, 12:34:25 pm »
We just need to be like those small towns in the US who keep electing dogs to be their mayors.

Make sure there is a dog on the ticket and it would probably win.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:40:34 pm by Just Elmo? »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: April 18, 2021, 12:39:33 pm »
We just need to be like those small towns in the US who keep electing dogs to be their mayors.

Make sure their is a dog on the ticket and it would probably win.
My worry would be someone like thatcher ... 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: April 18, 2021, 12:56:39 pm »
My worry would be someone like thatcher ...

Or Boris.  Or some other slick con-artist.

For all their faults - and my goodness there's no shortage of those - at least we've had years to get used to the idea of Charlie-boy and Wills being next in line. The thought of the British public being dumb enough to elect the likes of Farrage as President makes my piss turn to ice.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: April 18, 2021, 12:59:27 pm »
Or Boris.  Or some other slick con-artist.

For all their faults - and my goodness there's no shortage of those - at least we've had years to get used to the idea of Charlie-boy and Wills being next in line. The thought of the British public being dumb enough to elect the likes of Farrage as President makes my piss turn to ice.
That only works if you have someone in post who is not a cock of course.  And you’re just relying on pure luck for that.
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #731 on: April 18, 2021, 01:02:38 pm »

Make sure there is a dog on the ticket and it would probably win.

Sounds a bit rough that
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: April 18, 2021, 01:03:03 pm »
At least you can vote Frottage out.

Always amazed at the collective lack of ambition and self confidence.... we can't possibly do this good thing because we'll fuck it up. Best leave it to our betters.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:05:57 pm by Just Elmo? »

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: April 18, 2021, 01:07:33 pm »

Always amazed at the lack of ambition and self confidence.... we can't possibly do this good thing because we'll fuck it up. Best leave it to our betters.
No one is saying leave it to our betters ;D

Just wary of what shit we might end up with. 

It would be interesting to see what happened if Prince Andrew were next in line to the throne, it might make people think differently
W

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: April 18, 2021, 01:11:51 pm »
That only works if you have someone in post who is not a cock of course.  And you’re just relying on pure luck for that.

Absolutely.  It seems, though, that the heir at least seems to have a lot of effort invested in them these days.  Charlies is sus af, but compared to Andrew and Edward I know which I'd rather have (which isn't really a vote of confidence as just stating the obvious). William seems almost-normal, which I mostly put down to his missus.

Always amazed at the collective lack of ambition and self confidence.... we can't possibly do this good thing because we'll fuck it up. Best leave it to our betters.

Not leave it to our betters as much as better the devil you know, instead of watching in disbelief as people elect an outright pr!ck. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: April 18, 2021, 01:12:28 pm »

It would be interesting to see what happened if Prince Andrew were next in line to the throne, it might make people think differently

You covered both points I was making far more adroitly than I did. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: April 18, 2021, 01:18:06 pm »
Absolutely.  It seems, though, that the heir at least seems to have a lot of effort invested in them these days.  Charlies is sus af, but compared to Andrew and Edward I know which I'd rather have (which isn't really a vote of confidence as just stating the obvious). William seems almost-normal, which I mostly put down to his missus.

Not leave it to our betters as much as better the devil you know, instead of watching in disbelief as people elect an outright pr!ck. ;D

Well we are by a stroke of luck getting Charles (hardly a win) instead of Andrew... and he would have been the monarch for the rest of his life with no way to vote him out.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: April 18, 2021, 01:20:54 pm »
Well we are by a stroke of luck getting Charles (hardly a win) instead of Andrew... and he would have been the monarch for the rest of his life with no way to vote him out.
My thoughts are that the monarchy is only at the consent of the public though. If the public didn’t like them, they’d be gone in no time (or maybe just replaced by someone more acceptable?)

It’s a very odd situation we find ourselves in, it’s not one you would or could ever plan!
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #738 on: April 18, 2021, 01:25:14 pm »
My thoughts are that the monarchy is only at the consent of the public though. If the public didn’t like them, they’d be gone in no time (or maybe just replaced by someone more acceptable?)

It’s a very odd situation we find ourselves in, it’s not one you would or could ever plan!

That's the problem though, what would be more acceptable? At the moment you have the royal family or become a republic. Personally, I don't really see how even being a republic changes much, as we will still have the elite at the top, the eton arses etc. I am yet to be convinced that becoming a republic is a good thing, doesn't it mean just more nationalism will come to the fore?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: April 18, 2021, 01:25:18 pm »
There was an interesting interview with a black British journalist on a podcast I listen to... unfortunately I can't remember which but suspect it was one of the American ones.

The point she made (that I will express very poorly!) was that the Royal Family is a a representation to black people and other ethnic minorities that they can never reach the top. The Royal Family will always be white. And look at what has happened when a black person married into the family.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #740 on: April 18, 2021, 01:28:29 pm »
As a self-converted Republican, who comes from a split family, between former miners who were part of the Labour movement on my father’s side and those of a Royalist, Tory bent on my mother’s side as well as a part of the world, fiercely loyal to the Royal Family - I must admit something that I think many a Republican would not want to admit in public.

I’m anxious and concerned about where we are as a country and a society when the Queen shuffles off this mortal coil.

I think in part its because we have a government in place currently which is very much of the opinion that a very narrow strain of English Nationalism is the way to go - contrary to their wishes of wanting to unify all (!) - whilst to the North and to the West of us, it is very much up for debate whether Scotland and Northern Ireland will be part of any such union at that particular moment. Elections in both countries in the upcoming 12 to 18 months will absolutely influence that - and certainly in the case of Scotland, with upwards of 70% support for Independence amongst 18 to 34 year olds, the Union in its current form does seem to be on borrowed time.

Thankfully this week, we have not seen any tub-thumping speeches from the current incumbent of the office of Number 10 - however when the Queen does go - there is going to be a power vacuum, and that is where my fears are - perhaps I haven’t explained myself that well.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: April 18, 2021, 01:47:51 pm »
As a self-converted Republican, who comes from a split family, between former miners who were part of the Labour movement on my father’s side and those of a Royalist, Tory bent on my mother’s side as well as a part of the world, fiercely loyal to the Royal Family - I must admit something that I think many a Republican would not want to admit in public.

I’m anxious and concerned about where we are as a country and a society when the Queen shuffles off this mortal coil.

I think in part its because we have a government in place currently which is very much of the opinion that a very narrow strain of English Nationalism is the way to go - contrary to their wishes of wanting to unify all (!) - whilst to the North and to the West of us, it is very much up for debate whether Scotland and Northern Ireland will be part of any such union at that particular moment. Elections in both countries in the upcoming 12 to 18 months will absolutely influence that - and certainly in the case of Scotland, with upwards of 70% support for Independence amongst 18 to 34 year olds, the Union in its current form does seem to be on borrowed time.

Thankfully this week, we have not seen any tub-thumping speeches from the current incumbent of the office of Number 10 - however when the Queen does go - there is going to be a power vacuum, and that is where my fears are - perhaps I haven’t explained myself that well.

I think I understand what you mean.

As I understand matters, 0n paper at least, the Queen has far more power than she has ever really chosen to exercise.  She has very much been a hands off monarch.  I don't think Charles will be that way.  After waiting so long for the chair, he's going to want to make his make, and he'll be quite aware he wont have many years to do so.

He'll be facing off against a government that has become rather used to a quiescent monarch, and wont enjoy having a King mouthing off at them.  It won't quite be like "To Play the King" but there will be strain and pushback on both sides. 

Charles doesn't enjoy anything like the popularity that his mum does, so he might find himself on the losing side.  If that happens, well it might be a case of, be careful what you wish for.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #742 on: April 18, 2021, 01:57:33 pm »
While I do oppose the Monarchy on a point of principle, I could look past it if I felt we were a forward looking country with our mind set on evolving with the 21st Century and not hopelessly focused only on past glories. If we were a Sweden or a Netherlands for example. I would still want it gone, but I also wouldn´t be as bothered either way. Furthermore, unlike the other established monarchies of Europe, this country remains hopelessly class obsessed, and the Monarchy here is the prime figurehead of that.

I don´t think that much would change with the establishment of a republic in a practical sense. Having an elected President wouldn´t suddenly mean we become a better or more functional country for it. Indeed it is even possible that an elected President would do an even worse job then some of those born into it

However I would see it as an important change of mindset. A shedding of old delusions of imperial grandeur, and an acceptance that times have changed and we have to change with it. That for me is the most important facet of my republicanism. It would also represent a basic but important acceptance that hereditary class based priviledge is wrong.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:59:47 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: April 18, 2021, 02:10:31 pm »
It's a job that with a small amount of training most people could do.

I watched that King Ralph documentary a while back and to be fair it’s not as simple as people make out. Didn’t see the end but he obviously had enough and just went back to the states with that English girl.

Thinking about it more it was probably this whole ‘firm’ thing that chased him out. All the guy wanted to do was rule a in a less formal way. No wonder they lost their shit at Megan marrying in when it was obviously such a fucking sacrilege to play Little Richard on their precious shitty old harpsichord.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #744 on: April 18, 2021, 03:14:24 pm »

I do not in any way think of the royals as my betters. I am just wary of how the British voters keep voting for my worse. I'd rather select one of the Lords by lot than have the British voters elect a President.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: April 18, 2021, 03:22:12 pm »
I think I understand what you mean.

As I understand matters, 0n paper at least, the Queen has far more power than she has ever really chosen to exercise.  She has very much been a hands off monarch.  I don't think Charles will be that way.  After waiting so long for the chair, he's going to want to make his make, and he'll be quite aware he wont have many years to do so.

He'll be facing off against a government that has become rather used to a quiescent monarch, and wont enjoy having a King mouthing off at them.  It won't quite be like "To Play the King" but there will be strain and pushback on both sides. 

Charles doesn't enjoy anything like the popularity that his mum does, so he might find himself on the losing side.  If that happens, well it might be a case of, be careful what you wish for.

If he does throw his weight, he's shown little inclination towards English nationalism. Architecture and green politics appears more his thing, if he decides to speak out on anything at all. Or if he's learned anything from his mum, then he'll be entrenching the Firm in popular support.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #746 on: April 18, 2021, 03:34:11 pm »
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #747 on: April 18, 2021, 04:09:14 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: April 18, 2021, 06:07:22 pm »
I do not in any way think of the royals as my betters. I am just wary of how the British voters keep voting for my worse. I'd rather select one of the Lords by lot than have the British voters elect a President.

Letting a family pass the crown down from generation to generation, is pretty much by definition treating htem as our betters.

It's accepting they as a family are better than anything we the public would come up with.

If you treat the electorate with contempt by not letting them choose their head of state, or the HoL etc, no wonder they treat elections and votes with contempt in return.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #749 on: April 18, 2021, 06:33:56 pm »
Exactly, a loss is a loss. If you can't show respect just go and do something else.
Unless you are D. Moyes. Then those losses make you a winner :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: April 18, 2021, 06:34:42 pm »
Sounds a bit rough that

Have you gone barking mad?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #751 on: April 18, 2021, 07:09:35 pm »
25 metre swimming medal
50 metre swimming medal
75 meter swimming medal
100 meter swimming medal
Fell off the diving board and got rescued by a toddler campaign medal

Don’t forget his
It’s a knockout “best Eddie Waring impression”
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #752 on: April 18, 2021, 07:10:49 pm »

Look at how they love Johnson.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: April 18, 2021, 08:25:09 pm »

I don't mind having your system if we can have your voters too. Would you like to have an elected president with the British public electing them?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: April 18, 2021, 09:44:52 pm »
I don't mind having your system if we can have your voters too. Would you like to have an elected president with the British public electing them?

Boaty McBoatface would be a great president.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #755 on: April 18, 2021, 10:09:24 pm »
I'm just waiting for CHOPPER to join the love in

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #756 on: April 18, 2021, 10:10:17 pm »
How many were hoping for the Land Rover to break down and they had to push it in? Come on, don't lie......
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: April 18, 2021, 10:18:01 pm »

Instead of someone who gets the position due to the family they were born in to, yes 100%. Our voters are no great shakes either by the way.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: April 18, 2021, 11:20:01 pm »
Instead of someone who gets the position due to the family they were born in to, yes 100%. Our voters are no great shakes either by the way.

Would you like the UK and Ireland to be reunited as a single unified state again, to be governed by whichever party gains enough seats to form a government?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: April 18, 2021, 11:32:02 pm »
Would you like the UK and Ireland to be reunited as a single unified state again, to be governed by whichever party gains enough seats to form a government?

Is that a joke question?