Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12264655 times)

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #240 on: February 5, 2008, 11:07:15 pm »
I never got to see either of these games, how exactly did he perform?

Don't recall him putting a foot wrong, but didn't stand out either. Tidy on the ball, wasn't once made a fool of, and put in a decent cross against Fulham. Aswell as linking fairly well with Kewell on to create  a chance, if memory serves correctly.

The reason he is not in the first team now is because he wasnt ready when he played against portsmouth nearly a year ago. And what your saying is that he is fast....but not lightening fast, and he can beat a man.... but not every time. Pretty much puts him on a par with the wingers we've got now then doesn't it, which is why id like to see him get a few sub appearances NOW, not play his whole career on the wing. Its all well and good having a Roberto carlos in your team but if his defending isnt up to scratch yet (which it isnt) then its pointless having him marching up the wing, fast but not fast enough to beat a man as you say.

Except the one area of his defending that isn't upto scratch is his use of the ball when pissing around at the back. The rest is fine, or as good as it's likely to get in the ressies. Dealt with Etuhu well enough against Man City and he's not likely to face better than that at reserve level unless Ferguson decides that Plassy needs some even worse teams to score against to buff up his goal return.

Decent in one-vs-one situations, doesn't get over-powered and he defends the back post well. With the exception of occasionally getting caught upfield - and it's hardly a major hole in his game which you seem to think it is - what's wrong with him? If he gets caught up the pitch on occasion then so be it. That's exactly why you have players like Mascherano in the team. To cover.

Better he play, make the odd mistake and learn from it at fullback than spend 6 pointless months out of position, doing fuck all.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline 23

• Main Stander
« Reply #241 on: February 5, 2008, 11:24:36 pm »
but i reckon he'd benefit from playing on the wing a bit where he wont have as much defensive responsibility.

What the fuck are you talking about ''6 pointless months'' I didnt say stick him out of position or start him every single game i said give him a go on the wing because he will probably do better then the wingers we've got now. And no i dont want him coming into the team now at left back where his ''odd mistake'' might cost us goals, if he dwells on the ball at LB then its likely to do more damage the at LM. On occasion this season he has been caught out of position at times and that will come with the more experience. Fairly obvious Benitez doesnt think he's got it yet otherwise we wouldent be putting Finnan at LB

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: February 5, 2008, 11:36:04 pm »
Fairly obvious Benitez doesnt think he's got it yet otherwise we wouldent be putting Finnan at LB

Ahem...

*cough*

:butt

Nothing to see here. Move along please.

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: February 5, 2008, 11:36:48 pm »
What the fuck are you talking about ''6 pointless months'' I didnt say stick him out of position or start him every single game i said give him a go on the wing because he will probably do better then the wingers we've got now. And no i dont want him coming into the team now at left back where his ''odd mistake'' might cost us goals, if he dwells on the ball at LB then its likely to do more damage the at LM. On occasion this season he has been caught out of position at times and that will come with the more experience. Fairly obvious Benitez doesnt think he's got it yet otherwise we wouldent be putting Finnan at LB

Yeah and lets give  Nemeth a game but dont play him as a striker then he wont be under pressure to score. Has Insua played as a winger at a decent level? Has he played there ever? You say put the kid under less pressure but then put him in the first team in an unfamiliar position! Why not just quit while your behind and admit its a dumb suggestion. Good point that someone made about plying him with Mascherano in the team a true DM gives your fullbacks greater ability to attack.
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: February 5, 2008, 11:41:07 pm »
What the fuck are you talking about ''6 pointless months'' I didnt say stick him out of position or start him every single game i said give him a go on the wing because he will probably do better then the wingers we've got now.

You did say stick him out of position because you suggested putting him on the wing? Are you not keeping up with the tripe you're coming out with.

6 months was a random estimation based upon the fact that we probably wouldn't be signing else to play there until atleast July.

As for doing better than the wingers we have now, where's the fucking logic in that? He'd do better than the shit we have at leftback right now and that's his natural position. What is your point here exactly? We're incredibly weak down the left, we have a talented left fulback and you think he should play out of position (wing) to get experience of the position you want him to end up playing eventually (fullback), instead of just trying him there now?

You're  really going to have to talk me through this.

Liverpool = Weak left hand side.
Insua = Good prospect at leftback

Play Insua left wing so he can get experience to play at left back because he's better than the wingers we have? Even though he'd probably do a better job than our fullbacks at the moment anyways, and giving him a write-off season to make mistakes at left-back is better than starting him from there in a season that matters.

No, can't come around to that way of thinking at all. He's a leftback and we're weak there. Fuck sticking him out on the left-wing. We've already got one shit leftback for that.

And no i dont want him coming into the team now at left back where his ''odd mistake'' might cost us goals, if he dwells on the ball at LB then its likely to do more damage the at LM.

Uh, he doesn't dwell on the ball though. He gives it away cheaply through complacency. Complacency would - in theory - be eradicated if he was playing against top class opposition.

Anyways, he doesn't dwell on the ball anymore than Aurelio. Slightly less than Riise, but then, the ball is less likely to end up in 306 when it's at Insua's feet.

On occasion this season he has been caught out of position at times and that will come with the more experience.

Not playing at reserves it won't because he hasn't been bloody punished for it.

Fairly obvious Benitez doesnt think he's got it yet otherwise we wouldent be putting Finnan at LB

Uhh, Finnan was there because there was no other fullback in the squad. Not because he thinks Finnan is a better leftback than Insua.

Anyways, Rafa's not exactly covering himself in glory at the moment. Maybe he doesn't want to "risk" a youngster who may not be ready, and would prefer to stick with tried and tested shit at leftback.

Offline 23

• Main Stander
« Reply #245 on: February 5, 2008, 11:41:16 pm »
What position does Riise play? what position does aurelio play?

Offline 23

• Main Stander
« Reply #246 on: February 5, 2008, 11:44:50 pm »
Interchangeable positions, thats where

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: February 5, 2008, 11:45:11 pm »
What position does Riise play?

Riise doesn't so much "play" as ruin it for everyone else. Like that slightly camp, scruffy kid in school who was never particularly good at sports, but would kick the ball as far away from everyone else as possible just to ruin it for them.

what position does aurelio play?

Rumour has it he's a left back. Of course, this has yet to be confirmed as he's usually in more bandages than Boris Karloff.

Offline 23

• Main Stander
« Reply #248 on: February 5, 2008, 11:52:28 pm »
So your telling me this left back will be done irreparable damage by getting a few sub appearances on the Lm?? If he is that limited in his position then there must be something wrong with him. Id rather stick arbeloa left back for the time being as unlike you it seems id like to salvage something out of the season if i can and not stick all the kids out there so we can finish 10th.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: February 5, 2008, 11:55:37 pm »
Id rather stick arbeloa left back for the time being as unlike you it seems id like to salvage something out of the season if i can and not stick all the kids out there so we can finish 10th.

Yeah. Let's stick our only decent fullback in a position where he's less productive.

You honestly think what is already a shit season is going to be lost completely if we stick Insua at leftback instead of the dross we have? If that's the case you're not particularly bright.

Offline 23

• Main Stander
« Reply #250 on: February 6, 2008, 12:06:35 am »
Yea lets just bang in the untried players then, stick pacheco upfront aswell cause kuyts doing shite, ah he scored the other night no problem. The whole teams having trouble but i wouldent start calling the reserve team up just yet especially into a team thats already having trouble with players theyre used to, how you think he'd slot in with (basically) no first team experience untill may i dont know, and yes it could turn out worse with the current 'dross' the kid would probably lose the will to live.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2008, 12:08:17 am by 23 »

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: February 6, 2008, 12:11:40 am »
Yea lets just bang in the untried players then, stick pacheco upfront aswell cause kuyts doing shite, ah he scored the other night no problem. The whole teams having trouble but i wouldent start calling the reserve team up just yet especially into a team thats already having trouble with players theyre used to, how you think he'd slot in with (basically) no first team experience untill may i dont know, and yes it could turn out worse with the current 'dross' the kid would probably lose the will to live.

Your obviously just ranting now. You made little sense before but the latest offering is just babble.
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: February 6, 2008, 12:14:45 am »

Hmm...

Insua - 19 year old defender, with limited first team experience, who's been playing consistently well in the ressies all season. Who has played at U20 level for his country (arguably the best around), and is seen by respected South American correspondents like Tim Vickery as the next Argentine left back.

Pacheco - 16, has made two starts for the club. One for the ressies because Nemeth was on international duty and the other for the U18s.

No difference there then. ::)

One's just started his training in a young reserve team. The other has played consistently well for it.

Offline 23

• Main Stander
« Reply #253 on: February 6, 2008, 12:18:14 am »
Your obviously just ranting now. You made little sense before but the latest offering is just babble.
No mate im working off his logic, fuck the current players and throw the kids in, i was talking about Insua getting a (little) bit of first team experience (albeit, slightly out of position) , he's talking about putting an untried player in untill the end of the season at left back.

Offline 23

• Main Stander
« Reply #254 on: February 6, 2008, 12:26:54 am »
Just to point out Insua has made only 10 competitive reserve team apperences, hardly a wealth of games is it
« Last Edit: February 6, 2008, 12:31:51 am by 23 »

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: February 6, 2008, 12:30:45 am »
he's talking about putting an untried player in untill the end of the season at left back.

If you want to word it like that. 'He' would say that he wants to see a talented young leftback in place of the shite we already have, who have both been tried and failed. But there we go. I guess you'd rather persist with the mediocrity than give youth a try.

Just to point out Insua has made only 10 competitive first team apperences, hardly a wealth of games is it

And how does one get more first team appearences? Don't tell me... I'll get it...

is it by... playing games?

Offline 23

• Main Stander
« Reply #256 on: February 6, 2008, 12:40:29 am »
I dont mind giving the lad a chance (and id liked to have already seen more of him because he's approaching that make or break point) but you dont throw untried players into a team with the way theyve been playing at a crucial point of the season, maybe when the teams playing well as it would give them confidence. Not now though. If he was some wonderkid who could change our entire teams performances then maybe also, I think you'll probably find thats why he hasn't been called up is because of the results as i reckon benitez was gona give him a chance this season but is instead keeping Faith in what he's got for now, tried and tested professionals. No matter how shite theyve been playing.

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #257 on: February 6, 2008, 01:12:33 am »
So your telling me this left back will be done irreparable damage by getting a few sub appearances on the Lm?? If he is that limited in his position then there must be something wrong with him.

It wouldn't do him irreparable damage, but it would stunt his development as a left back. I just don't see the logic giving him in an entirely new role.

Its hard enough to judge the potential of a young player with a few sub appearances as you suggested, that task becomes even more difficult if he is not playing in his natural position.
anyone know what actually happened to ribery's face?
Just a routine tackle by Skrtel

Offline ouestlereferee

• Pourquoi! C'est monsieur Scrutin
  • Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #258 on: February 6, 2008, 11:24:57 am »
Will we see Insua in the FA Cup do you think?

I, for one, hope that we do.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #259 on: February 6, 2008, 11:31:43 am »
Will we see Insua in the FA Cup do you think?

I, for one, hope that we do.

No, i would as you know but no.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #260 on: February 6, 2008, 11:36:47 am »
No, i would as you know but no.

I hope Rafa surprises us.  He needs the support of the fans, so a few introductions for youngsters would be good for this - especially a real prospect like Insua & a home-grown player in Darby.

Arbeloa aside, I don't really see who, at present, is so superior to Darby & Insua as a full-back that they can't get a game against weaker opposition....  unless Rafa wants to switch Carra back to there!!

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #261 on: February 6, 2008, 11:45:07 am »
I hope Rafa surprises us.  He needs the support of the fans, so a few introductions for youngsters would be good for this - especially a real prospect like Insua & a home-grown player in Darby.

Arbeloa aside, I don't really see who, at present, is so superior to Darby & Insua as a full-back that they can't get a game against weaker opposition....  unless Rafa wants to switch Carra back to there!!

How is Darby progressing?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline joe fitz red

• Kopite
  • Cometh the hour, Cometh the Steve
    • www.facebook.com/weplay
« Reply #262 on: February 6, 2008, 11:49:27 am »
dani pacheo is the one

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #263 on: February 6, 2008, 12:11:55 pm »
dani pacheo is the one

And he is doing well then?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #264 on: February 6, 2008, 12:13:12 pm »
How is Darby progressing?

I may be wrong but I think he is injured at present...

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #265 on: February 6, 2008, 12:13:55 pm »
And he is doing well then?

yes.  Check him out against Bolton reserves & Bury reserves too I think...

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: February 6, 2008, 12:27:43 pm »

Dani Pacheco is by far the best prospect in our youth ranks ... Before he came to LFC, he was expected by Barca fans to take Bojan's place in the Barca B team when Bojan was moved to the A team ... I agree that Pacheco is still not (physically) ready for senior football, but he has just turned 17 and we are all aware of how fast youngsters develop physically at that age ... I expect him at LFC first team in the summer of 2009 ...

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #267 on: February 6, 2008, 12:31:50 pm »
Dani Pacheco is by far the best prospect in our youth ranks ... Before he came to LFC, he was expected by Barca fans to take Bojan's place in the Barca B team when Bojan was moved to the A team ... I agree that Pacheco is still not (physically) ready for senior football, but he has just turned 17 and we are all aware of how fast youngsters develop physically at that age ... I expect him at LFC first team in the summer of 2009 ...

first team as in playing as many games as kuyt has this season?

i wouldn't be surprised if pacheco makes a first team app before the end of this season...  would expect to see him get a similar amount of gametime next season as lucas has hitherto...

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: February 6, 2008, 12:33:56 pm »
I may be wrong but I think he is injured at present...
Yep, for about 4 weeks I think.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #269 on: February 6, 2008, 12:38:11 pm »

I'd say we have no outstanding prospect in the Owen/Gerrard/Fowler mould. However, from what I've seen we have a clutch of players who are promising enough to make first team standard at the level just below the three I mention. I include defenders, midfielders, wingers and strikers in that group.

My own pick of the bunch is Nemeth. He seems the sort who could well translate his striking skill at finding and making space and sticking it away from the current level to Premiership level.

Only time - and [Rafa permitting] opportunity - will tell.

Offline Macedonian_Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: February 6, 2008, 12:39:07 pm »
first team as in playing as many games as kuyt has this season?

i wouldn't be surprised if pacheco makes a first team app before the end of this season...  would expect to see him get a similar amount of gametime next season as lucas has hitherto...

I do not expect him getting any 1st team chances this season ... He is too young and not ready physically ... He could get some chances next season, but in reality, I expect him to be a 1st team SQUAD MEMBER from the summer of 2009 ...

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #271 on: February 6, 2008, 12:45:02 pm »
I do not expect him getting any 1st team chances this season ... He is too young and not ready physically ... He could get some chances next season, but in reality, I expect him to be a 1st team SQUAD MEMBER from the summer of 2009 ...

I understand where you are coming from because he is not the largest player.  However, it wasn't a problem for Owen.  Furthermore, in the ressie league he has been playing not just against other youngsters, but against senior, more physical players.  His impact at ressie level has improved significantly in the last 3/4 months (presumably this is to do with coping on the physical level), and, in fairness, he's probably the best player in the ressies at present - if he continues his trajectory of development for the next month or so he'll be making a strong case to Rafa to get a few mins in a first team game....

Offline liverweb

• Statto
  • Legacy Fan
  • www.liverweb.org.uk - Your one stop site for LFC
    • Liverweb
« Reply #272 on: February 6, 2008, 12:45:18 pm »
Darby picked up an injury against Gothenburg last week and missed the game against Bolton

a very steady player at right back but not one that is up and in your face all the time.
Whether he ever makes it all the way I'm not sure

just scanning across this thread its just one of those threads that is typical of todays football
People get to see odd snippetts of games or full ones now and the minute the first team are struggling think that reserve player will slot straight in

Ultimately the whole idea of Rafa getting these kids in is that the Reds have a conveyor belt if you like that over time - just like Arsenal will have players ready willing and able to get to the first team.

But throwing players in to the first team setup in a position not their standard one is just plain mad

the Insua left wing argument is just a non starter.  He's a defender and I personally really rate him but there are still some short falls in his game yet compared to the first team.  Yes only playing will get the experience but you need to be 100% every week in the reserves or on loan first.  Insua for example the other night was able to get away with a few blind alley runs because Bolton were poor but there are people specifically looking at his play there and against higher teams etc it may prove costly

We need to get to the point where actually these players coming through are creating a case of you can't not pick me because I willaid the whole team at a higher level.  So picking Pacheco out after half a dozen apps for the ressies is a non starter.  He's good but very raw BUT is looking to settle in to the proper rhythm that he needs to get to in order to make it to the big time.  Give these kids a chance to develop.

Don't forget that loads of people slagged Hobbs off as a woeful defender for a couple of errors in a friendly pre-season.  That's where you can start throwing players in to see how they adapt and obviously our coaches are seeing them day in day out for their development and readiness.

Andy

http://www.liverweb.org.uk - for all your LFC stats.

Check out every LFC Result and Lineup ever and info on players past, present and for the future!

Subscribe to the Liverweb mailing list at liverweb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #273 on: February 6, 2008, 12:50:26 pm »

Torres              Nemeth

Babel

Lucas             Mascarano        Gerrard

Insua         Skrtel                 Agger       Darby

Reina

Subs: Martin, Hobbs, Carragher, Alonso, Pacheco.

Well you never know do you.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #274 on: February 6, 2008, 12:57:11 pm »

Torres              Nemeth

Babel

Lucas             Mascarano        Gerrard

Insua         Skrtel                 Agger       Darby

Reina

Subs: Martin, Hobbs, Carragher, Alonso, Pacheco.

Well you never know do you.

Never mind 2009 i would not mind seen this team line out in the Cup.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #275 on: February 6, 2008, 12:58:39 pm »
liverweb,

I don't think anyone is saying that Insua will come in and be as good as Clichy or Evra.  What people are saying is that he's not got the same obstacles ahead of him as, say, Jay Spearing has for Central Mid.  Insua will undoubtedly make mistakes in the first team, but so do Riise & Aurelio - and I think the idea is that people want Insua to get the gametime so we can sell Riise and/or Aurelio in the summer, knowing that Insua can be our first choice LB.  To sum up:  Cash in & tolerance of mistakes by youngsters but not experienced players like Riise & Aurelio.

As regards judging people on a few games, I don't agree with what you say.  For defenders, you need to see consistency & concentration, and this requires monitoring over a period of time, but for attackers this is not the case - one-off demonstrations of great pace or great dribbling technique are not flukes - they can't fake either of these - they are either in their locker or not.  What you can't judge is whether a player is like Luis Garcia or Ronaldo in terms of their consistency.  However in Pacheco's case, like Insua, he doesn't have the most insurmountable of tasks in terms of the first-team's strikeforce, so you can say, from only a few games, whether Pacheco is capable of offering more creatively than Kuyt or Voronin.   I would like to see him cope with the physicality for 90 mins a few more times, but there is no doubt that he has better touch, close control, pace, and vision than Kuyt/Voro.  Yes he may be more like Luis Garcia than Messi - either way both of those players are a hell of a lot better than Kuyt or Voro.

Offline Macedonian_Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: February 6, 2008, 01:02:08 pm »
I understand where you are coming from because he is not the largest player.  However, it wasn't a problem for Owen.

Rushing young players into 1st team action because they have the necesary talent could be a very dangerous thing ...

Michael Owen is the prime example for that kind of mistake ... He was talented enough to be a 1st team regular and score loads of goals at the age of 18, but now he is paying the price for that ... Most people forget that MO is only 28 years old now, but for the last 3 seasons he is constantly on the treatment table ...

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #277 on: February 6, 2008, 01:16:52 pm »
Michael Owen is the prime example for that kind of mistake ... He was talented enough to be a 1st team regular and score loads of goals at the age of 18, but now he is paying the price for that ... Most people forget that MO is only 28 years old now, but for the last 3 seasons he is constantly on the treatment table ...

Nothing to do with playing from a young age, just unllucky to get the injury. It happens.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ouestlereferee

• Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #278 on: February 6, 2008, 01:19:22 pm »
Rushing young players into 1st team action because they have the necesary talent could be a very dangerous thing ...

This is exactly why I brought Michael Owen up.  You said about Pacheco

He is too young and not ready physically ... He could get some chances next season, but in reality, I expect him to be a 1st team SQUAD MEMBER from the summer of 2009 ...

Michael Owen clearly was physically able to handle the game - he scored tonnes of goals at a very young age.

It is also clear that he's had a lot of injury problems.  I suspect the reason for these injuries is asking him to play too many games - bringing him back early from injury etc.  At this time he was one of the few bright lights for either the Liverpool or England teams.

You see the same thing happening now with John Terry & Wayne Rooney - I would not be surprised if they miss 1-2 months plus each season going forward.

So my view on Pacheco is that we'd be mad to try to play him in the same number of games Carragher plays..  but I don't see anything wrong with him featuring in around half the minutes the first-team plays, provided he's given adequate recovery time from any knocks or injuries.

With that in mind, with some good displays in the ressies, there's no reason not to try him out with a couple of sub appearances in the PL before the end of the season - just to see if he can cope with the physicality in terms of getting shoved off the ball (which both Lucas & Yossi struggle with) - and provided he doesn't get taken out of the game he can be given the opportunity to become a first team squad player next season....

Offline Macedonian_Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: February 6, 2008, 01:32:28 pm »
Nothing to do with playing from a young age, just unllucky to get the injury. It happens.

I really don't want to enter in a debate with you, but it is a well known fact that a human body is not finished with its development by the age of 18 ...

Recently, there was a huge debate on this issue (physical and psychological development of young athletes) when the NBA put a limit (19 years of age) for young players entering professional basketball ... There was unanimous support for this rule from the medical and psychological experts ...