Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 598895 times)

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #10080 on: June 24, 2021, 11:06:23 am »
Credit to the Islanders responding well to their lopsided loss in the previous game. Showed up with intensity and really refused to be overpowered.

This great series now gets the game 7 it deserves.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10081 on: June 24, 2021, 12:51:17 pm »
Credit to the Islanders responding well to their lopsided loss in the previous game. Showed up with intensity and really refused to be overpowered.

This great series now gets the game 7 it deserves.
Oh yes. I’ve got Islanders fever. I’m loving how they are pushing the reigning champions to the brink. An Islanders - Montreal final is actually possible now. Who’d have thought that at the start of the playoffs.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10082 on: June 25, 2021, 02:52:58 am »
Habs one period away from making it back to the finals after a long absence.

Never saw this coming at the beginning of these playoffs.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10083 on: June 25, 2021, 05:20:44 am »
Thrilled for Montreal and their fans. Vegas started OT strongly, but Montreal won it on the counter.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #10084 on: June 25, 2021, 10:01:44 am »
Habs one period away from making it back to the finals after a long absence.

Never saw this coming at the beginning of these playoffs.

Loads of people expected them to be swept by the Leafs :lmao

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #10085 on: June 25, 2021, 10:46:03 am »
A little bit of the NHL’s (long lost) soul is returned, now the shit stain that is the Las Vegas Golden Knights won’t be going to another final  8)  Thank you Habs!

Sadly, this means the sodding Islanders will probably win the cup  :butt

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10086 on: June 25, 2021, 03:15:07 pm »

Sadly, this means the sodding Islanders will probably win the cup  :butt

Oh ye of little faith! Tbf the Habs seem to like the underdog status.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10087 on: June 26, 2021, 02:17:01 am »
Momentum with the Bolts now they got this shorthanded goal.... can the NHL amend the rules, and extend this great series by 4 more games?

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10088 on: June 26, 2021, 08:11:22 am »
I wasn’t able to watch the game, sadly. Was rooting for the Islanders. Don’t have much love for Tampa. They are a great team and all that but I didn’t like the way they messed with the salary cap. Hedman annoys me as well. Brilliant player, maybe the best defender in the league. But his constant moaning and cross checking annoys me.

Habs - Bolts final it it then! About time a Canadian team won it. Imagine the scenes in Toronto if the Habs actually win the Cup.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10089 on: June 26, 2021, 09:50:31 am »
I wasn’t able to watch the game, sadly. Was rooting for the Islanders. Don’t have much love for Tampa. They are a great team and all that but I didn’t like the way they messed with the salary cap. Hedman annoys me as well. Brilliant player, maybe the best defender in the league. But his constant moaning and cross checking annoys me.

Habs - Bolts final it it then! About time a Canadian team won it. Imagine the scenes in Toronto if the Habs actually win the Cup.
Too be fair other teams have use the salary cap rules before

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10090 on: June 26, 2021, 10:33:12 am »
Of course. They haven’t broken any rules or done something that never has done before. I just fell in love with the slightly underdogs New York Islanders. Tampa are in the finals because they are a very very good team. Making the finals two years in a row is no small feat.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #10091 on: June 26, 2021, 10:52:55 am »
Always wanted it for Boston, but Tampa might be on for the slam here, I know they dont have an NBA team.

SB Holders, Lightning in the finals and one of the best teams in baseball
YNWA

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10092 on: June 26, 2021, 11:08:01 am »
I've predicted The Leafs/Avs/Knights to beat the Habs' and I'm well aware how these things go; the moment you say Habs for the cup, they fall ;D

So I'll do them a favour and say the experienced and -despite some knocks- still deep and talented Bolts will retain the cup.

Won't be easy though and honestly anything can happen. These Habs don't know when they're beaten, and so I imagine it will be a great series.

As neutral, these playoffs have had a bit of everything.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10093 on: June 29, 2021, 03:42:50 am »
Although the Bolts are taking over Game 1, Habs have been here before. Interesting to see what type of response they'll have. Game 1 looks done though.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10094 on: June 30, 2021, 03:17:53 pm »
Adam Fox winning the Norris makes me happier than anything that could happen in the Stanley Cup this season  ;D

What an achievement for him, and in just his 2nd season, took Brian Leetch about 4 years I think to win it  ;D

Foxy is an amazing player, Rangers need to lock him up long term and make him captain and be done with.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10095 on: July 1, 2021, 02:59:38 am »
These goddamn Habs. What a goal to give up.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10096 on: July 1, 2021, 10:34:17 am »
It does appear a bridge too far with the depth the Bolts have, but it's not the first time a team has gone down 0-2.

Let's see if the Habs respond at home, get 2 wins and have some momentum. Little or no room for error now though.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10097 on: July 3, 2021, 10:50:47 am »
The gap in quality between these two may be too large. But you never know..maybe the Habs can make a comback for the ages

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10098 on: July 3, 2021, 03:03:06 pm »
Not only the quality but also the mistakes. Guys who played flawlessly against Vegas are unable to deal with Tampa. I’m just hoping they avoid a sweep for one more day of joy for Montrealers.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10099 on: July 3, 2021, 11:02:19 pm »
Really hope this series won't end like this, but have to say this gave me a chuckle...

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #10100 on: July 5, 2021, 03:10:06 pm »
CBJ's back-up goalie Matiss Kivlenieks has died involving a firework related incident. RIP

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10101 on: July 6, 2021, 04:14:25 am »
Very tragic about Kivlenieks. RIP

Glad Montreal gets one more game.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10102 on: July 6, 2021, 08:16:52 am »
If the Habs can somehow get a win in Tampa then the momentum will be huge. As clichéd as it is they have to take it one period/shift at a time.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10103 on: July 8, 2021, 09:49:54 am »
Hats off to Tampa. Two years ago knocked out in the 1st round after winning the President's I think and were laughed at. Now won it 2 in a row. This team is deep and talented.

I hope the Habs can seize the moment though, and come back next year.

Sigh, the season't finished. Wanted it to go on for more. Great playoffs.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10104 on: July 8, 2021, 10:26:01 am »
Meh..was hoping for an epic comeback, but alas. Don’t have much time for Tampa but winning the Cup back to back is an amazing achievement. I found this year’s playoffs highly entertaining with the Tampa - Florida series as the standout.
Now it’s three months without hockey. Always difficult that.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10105 on: July 8, 2021, 11:55:34 am »
Islanders/Bolts was the pick of the bunch for me, had everything that one. The playoffs were really good.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10106 on: July 19, 2021, 04:57:14 pm »
Luke Prokop is the first contracted NHL player (Nashville Predators) to come out as gay. He has been playing with his junior team Calgary Hitmen for the past 4 years.

Big respect to him, sad that it is still a thing that needs doing, but a big step for hockey.

https://twitter.com/lukeprokop_6/status/1417114803118563332?s=20

He is getting a lot of support, long may that continue.

Offline Norse Red

• Kopite
  • Forever Red!
« Reply #10107 on: July 23, 2021, 10:45:45 am »
Buffalo to draft Owen Power tonight?
Imagne Dahlin and Power as defensive pairing, that would be noe of the leagues best defensive pairings.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10108 on: July 23, 2021, 05:52:38 pm »
Buffalo to draft Owen Power tonight?
Imagne Dahlin and Power as defensive pairing, that would be noe of the leagues best defensive pairings.
There’s something about Buffalo this last decade that tells me they’ll probably miss the playoffs for the foreseeable future, even with that defensive pairing. It’s almost like they could’ve had Lidstrom in his prime and still miss the post season. On the other hand, Buffalo doesn’t make the playoffs this season regardless, so they will have time to develop Owen Power properly, if they draft him.

It’s crazy that the Bills and Sabres have the same owner. The football team is very well managed..

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10109 on: July 27, 2021, 06:55:37 pm »
It’s hard to keep track of all the trades, but Fleury to the Blackhawks caught my attention. Are Vegas really going with Robin Lehner as their first choice goalie?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10110 on: July 27, 2021, 07:09:23 pm »
It’s hard to keep track of all the trades, but Fleury to the Blackhawks caught my attention. Are Vegas really going with Robin Lehner as their first choice goalie?

No idea! but I am presuming it’s a cap issue Vegas have got, hence needing to trade.

I’m still fuming at the fact the Rangers made the biggest boneheaded move in making Chris Drury GM, and it’s now showing itself in all it’s ugly glory  :butt  Trading Buchnevich for nothing cos apparently they wouldn’t be able to make it work cap-wise, with resigning him. Only for Buch then to sign with St Louis on a very reasonable deal.  Unreal.

Also signing Barclay Goodrow to a ridiculously over priced 6 year deal, and then making some bizarre pick in the 1st round of the draft. Absolute clown. Hated Drury as a player for the Rangers, hating him even more now lol.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #10111 on: July 27, 2021, 07:53:57 pm »
No idea! but I am presuming it’s a cap issue Vegas have got, hence needing to trade.

It's a cap issue. Fleury apparently only found out via Twitter with some reports suggesting he'll retire

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #10112 on: August 20, 2021, 03:59:11 pm »
Lundqvist announces his retirement

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10113 on: August 20, 2021, 04:37:47 pm »
And the Rangers already announced they are retiring Hank’s number this season.

That night’s going to be a whole lot of feels and emotions!

Such a sad way for his career to end, but trying not to make this sound bad - it’s somehow apt he did in a round about way retire a Ranger - i.e. never ended up playing for another NHL team.

What a player Hank was. One of my absolute favorute Rangers, in fact, likely 2nd only to the great Mike Richter.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10114 on: August 20, 2021, 08:39:31 pm »
I’ll remember him as a Capital ;)
A supreme athlete and all around great guy. He deserved to win the cup in 2014 but the Kings were too strong that year.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10115 on: August 23, 2021, 06:26:11 pm »
Jimmy Hayes, former Florida Panther, Blackhawk, Bruin and Boston College star, and brother of Kevin, has died suddenly at the age of 31. No reports as yet as to what happened.

Awful news.

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/1429839398930161667?s=20

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #10116 on: August 23, 2021, 06:42:30 pm »
RIP

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10117 on: September 3, 2021, 12:46:47 am »
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhls-new-covid-19-protocols-include-mechanism-suspending-unvaccinated-players/ Covid 19 protocols for next season.
Im guessing they wanted a mandate for the players but Union wont agree so this basically a mandate without making one

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #10118 on: October 11, 2021, 09:35:10 am »
Returns this week :D
I’m so glad that Jürgen is a Red…

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10119 on: October 11, 2021, 01:23:35 pm »
Returns this week :D

looking forward to it! As usual, no doubt the Rangers will give me much hope but offer very little in the end  ;D

Good news for Rangers fans though is that Mika Zibanejad signed a new contract yesterday, the years are too many, but because of that, it means the terms are fine for a number 1 centre. And they can deal with the years when it needs dealing with. To get him signed up was hugely important, and that quietens the talk of Jack Eichel thankfully. Mika is great, and has shown he can deal with playing in New York, something a lot of stars are unable to do.