Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
What would you do?
« on: July 22, 2021, 08:03:16 pm »
currently working for a small firm, 5 of us plus the boss, all good lads

Basically the last bloke to join us, nice chap an all but (and there is no nice way to say it) he smells like a 10 year old onion bhaji, now before you moan i know its really feckin hot and i spend most of my working day drenched in sweat but this guy has a certain whiff about him at 7 in the morning and being as a group quite close all day it can get overpowering at times.

With him only starting a few weeks ago do you give him the benefit of the doubt because of the Temperature and hope all is well when it stats to cool down or do you say something to him? Dont know the best way to be honest do you go jokey? i thought of getting in before him and leaving a tin of deodorant in his locker, but i just dont know to be honest the chap is nearly 60 and should of cracked personal hygiene by now.

So what say you rawk?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 08:09:58 pm »

Basically the last bloke to join us, nice chap an all but (and there is no nice way to say it) he smells like a 10 year old onion bhaji, now before you moan i know its really feckin hot and i spend most of my working day drenched in sweat but this guy has a certain whiff about him at 7 in the morning and being as a group quite close all day it can get overpowering at times.

With him only starting a few weeks ago do you give him the benefit of the doubt because of the Temperature and hope all is well when it stats to cool down or do you say something to him? Dont know the best way to be honest do you go jokey? i thought of getting in before him and leaving a tin of deodorant in his locker, but i just dont know to be honest the chap is nearly 60 and should of cracked personal hygiene by now.

So what say you rawk?

Speak to the boss, let them deal with it, rather than you say anything. We used to have a fella in work who had big B.O. problems and the women he worked with used to give him Lynx and stuff and he kicked off to HR.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 08:10:47 pm »
Buy some anti- perspirant and leave in toilet / cloakroom /canteen for anyone to use...

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 08:16:06 pm »

So what say you rawk?
Dip him in a nice mint & garlic raita

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 08:16:45 pm »

;D

Offline joe buck

• Kopite
  • La La La La La Goose Goose Goose Goose.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 08:19:34 pm »
replace the firms cat with a skunk.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 08:42:22 pm »

Hahahahaha

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 08:45:09 pm »
Put some clown shoes on and wear a joke flower, then take a run up and volley him in the goolies.
When he's decked, squirt the water in the flower at him, then tell him to get a proper shower.

Then flounce and skip away.

He'll get the message,  trust me.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 08:46:12 pm »

;D
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 09:00:28 pm »
The old "Did you sleep in today and miss your shower as you fucking stink mate"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 09:03:36 pm »
Put some clown shoes
Ah fucking hell, killed me after those 4 words Chops  ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 09:13:29 pm »
Ah fucking hell, killed me after those 4 words Chops  ;D

Now he'll do another RIP thread for you... in the clown shoes...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 09:22:55 pm »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 09:29:31 pm »

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 10:08:31 pm »
Get all the lads to tell the boss at seperate times so it gets into his head, dont go as a lone shark so its not like you're being a dickhead. Or even rop hints to the gaffer even, all of you.

Or, burn him
Y.N.W.A.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 10:28:03 pm »
The amount of awful c*nts there are in the world these days I can deal with someone stinking a bit.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 10:39:34 pm »
Have a look around, there might be some building work being done or some such. Keep an eye out near the workplace for access roads that might seem like they're laid with the kind of granite that can carry heavy wagons with building supplies, timber and such.

What you're looking for is a big ol tower of scaffolding, and you're gonna want to gather all them good people up

You should get Smelly and your boss and HR all up on there, anybody who kick up a fuss in this heat about a smell, in a pandemic, yeah, they'll struggle, they will moan and demonstrate but you MUST stand TALL my brother and but convince them - you must get up on this fine line

In a row

There you are at the top of the scaffolding with aaaaall your problems and the other side is gravity and I know what side I'm bettin on.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 10:41:23 pm by ToneLa »

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 11:29:24 pm »
I worked on a job for a company 25 years ago , we were on flats putting heating in and they had taken a couple of lads on as two teams working in different flats every day . Started on the first and was thinking this flat stinks ...then the next one was the same , then the penny dropped when one of the other lads started calling one of the new ones Baldrick a name that ended up sticking with him .

Sad thing was we found out years later his wife died who had been suicidal for years , she was an alcoholic and he had to work , look after three young kids and look after his mentally ill wife too ...sadly he was also suffering in silence

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 11:52:45 pm »
I can't exactly remember why now, but it might have been me coming back into work smelling of the crap I had to deal with in a yard the previous day - but I can't remember... but that was 5 years ago, and to this day (and I work in the office now)... i still get 'sniff sniff.... you smell something Pat?' when I'm walking about the yard.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for a while... I just know that Pat wouldn't ;D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 04:39:58 pm »

So what say you rawk?
You from Boslem lad? I've family in Trentham and Penkhull. Used to go to that neck of the woods quite a lot as a child!

I've had to have the horrible chat before about someone's personal hygiene. It's not nice, it's embarrassing and cringe inducing for the both of you but it may have to be done. It should be a superior having the talk with him, not someone on his level. When I've pulled someone for that talk (when my team was complaining about them stinking of fish) I said I'd noticed. I didn't implicate anyone else. I asked was everything okay at home because I felt they weren't taking care of themselves the way they normally do. Tried to make it more of a duty of care chat than anything.

In the end they kept coming to work reeking and handed their notice in though, so what do I know!
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 05:18:45 pm »
I once worked with a lad who stunk badly. Not like BO but like a stale smell, first thing in the morning but some people have issues like TMAU and they can't smell it. I never had the heart to tell this lad anyway. On one hand I wanted to but he was such a nice kid I couldn't.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 08:58:01 pm »
You from Boslem lad?

quite close, 3 miles, used to drink in boslem before coronavirus fecked everything up

I've family in Trentham and Penkhull

Oooooooh posh bastard  ;D

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 08:24:43 am »
Ooohh thats a bummer actually.
I was in the situation and it turns out I had some supermarket-bought cloth spray that reacted with the fabric softener that created this weird odor.
It was not BO or anything but simply a case of chemical reactions.

If I am being honest, I would take him aside and tell him directly. That way, the issue is only known to both of you and no one else would know who spoke to him.
If the other employees are involved, and the boss gets involved, then his credibility in the team could probably get damaged and could influence his long-term future.

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2021, 08:32:03 am »
I've worked in factories/warehouses where lads have been terrorised for stinking and *still* didn't get it, and I've worked on building sites where everyone fucking stinks by 4 o'clock. I guess there's not really an excuse for turning up honking unless you know his living situation etc? could be living in his car for all you know!?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2021, 09:57:11 am »
quite close, 3 miles, used to drink in boslem before coronavirus fecked everything up

Oooooooh posh bastard  ;D
So not Burslem at all?  ;) I've ever known anywhere like Stoke with so many small different areas and designations of towns and villages - two people live a street away and say they're from different towns and have different versions of the accent ;D

The Trentham side of the family like to think they're posh, you wouldn't call the other side posh if you met them  ;D

With the whole BO debate, it's very different based on what job you do. Like L4Red says, working in a manual positioning where you're physically moving a lot is always going to create these issues. But you need to show up for work clean. In an office job, where you're sat there, there's less excuse for humming, especially when you show up stinking to begin with.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2021, 02:03:17 pm »
Bring in a sponge and a nice shampoo and bath him.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2021, 02:17:06 pm »
This is (or was a few years back) a common competency question used when interviewing managers for Aldi. Whether or not they have enough stinking employees to justify it is another topic.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2021, 02:52:27 pm »
If you spend enough time around him you won't notice.

You could even get intimate with him. Who knows you might even start to crave the scent!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2021, 02:56:25 pm »
This is (or was a few years back) a common competency question used when interviewing managers for Aldi. Whether or not they have enough stinking employees to justify it is another topic.
I used to work for Aldi about 7/8 years ago and never asked this or was compelled to ask this to an interviewee - it doesn't however surprise me, they've the most awful and brutal corporate culture I've ever come across.

Online KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2021, 02:57:23 pm »
My cousin, the boss in the department of a much bigger firm had to deal with something similar; the new guys hygiene started to really go down hill (it turns out he had issues in his personal life), he was brought into the office and the problem made clear. He would clean up for a while but eventually slide back. He was let go in the end, though it was long and drawn out and done the right way.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2021, 03:28:24 pm »
I used to work for Aldi about 7/8 years ago and never asked this or was compelled to ask this to an interviewee - it doesn't however surprise me, they've the most awful and brutal corporate culture I've ever come across.

It was on the online pre-application questionnaire. Something like

A member of your team has a problem with body odour and several customers have complained. Do you...
A) Tell Him
B) Tell a Manager
C) Open up a thread on Rawk

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2021, 03:33:32 pm »

A member of your team has a problem with body odour and several customers have complained. Do you...
A) Tell Him
B) Tell a Manager
D) (Aldi Director's Guide to Management Model Answer) Approach him whilst he's on the till, slap a can of deodorant down in front of him and tell him 'you smell awful and it's offensive to your colleagues and Customers. Don't you know how to wash yourself? That'll be 79p please.'

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2021, 05:41:30 pm »

A) Tell Him
B) Tell a Manager

HAHA

if the guy is young and stupid a direct word from his manager should do it.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 07:46:48 pm »
Well quick update, the boss had a quiet word with him yesterday apparently so today he has worn a thin fleece thing all day over his work t shirt probably to mask the smell but its just made it worse, he's just sweating more.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2021, 08:31:21 pm »
It’s something the team manager needs to sort. The new person may be ignorant of the issue or they could have issues at home that nobody is aware of.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 09:48:17 pm »
I don't get why people stink*. A bar of soap is next to nothing.

*obviously MH or extreme poverty issues aside.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2021, 09:08:55 am »
I've seen it come up in a few different places, think it must have been on a central list somewhere.

The duty of care answer above was the right one from what I remember.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2021, 09:28:22 am »
Well quick update, the boss had a quiet word with him yesterday apparently so today he has worn a thin fleece thing all day over his work t shirt probably to mask the smell but its just made it worse, he's just sweating more.
At the start of the shift, is he reeking like a tin of rotten kippers or is he clean and just proceeds to stink after he's started to graft for a few hours? It's an important distinction. Wearing a fleece is a dreadful move.

A mate who used to rent my spare room years back used to have a few anxiety and mental health issues and that manifested itself in not taking care of himself or washing himself properly. He would do a manual, hard job for 9 hours then go straight to the pub and sit there in his filthy clothes, smelling terribly.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2021, 09:30:51 am »

He probably can't smell it, especially if part of the issue is his clothes.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2021, 01:37:58 pm »
It’s something the team manager needs to sort.

I agree

The manager should be going round there with a bar of Dove and scrubbing his pits, his crack his balls, the lot.