Author Topic: The Fowler-Carragher Academy at Melwood  (Read 1032 times)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
The Fowler-Carragher Academy at Melwood
« on: May 14, 2021, 11:11:34 am »
Published in The Telegraph today:

I am officially returning to my spiritual home today.

Robbie Fowler and I have joined forces to take over the site of Liverpool’s former training ground at Melwood. Our academies are merging to offer a pathway for those looking for work in the football or sports industry.

It is our ambition to help create a new generation of well-trained professionals who, if they cannot revive their playing careers, will become sport scientists, physiotherapists or coaches. We will be offering several courses and scholarships for those seeking help gaining employment across many fields.

Robbie and I have been in discussions for some time about forming a partnership, so when the Melwood site became available, the emotional connection was immediate and we realised it was the perfect venue. We’re thrilled the deal is being formally announced.

We will be keeping most of the Melwood facilities we enjoyed during our playing careers, including the main building and a couple of the football pitches. As ex-Liverpool players, we will also be preserving the spirit of the old training ground, ensuring visitors are left in no doubt about the rich history of the venue.

Although many who attend our academies are those we are trying to help get back into the game, the opportunities will extend beyond helping former or future professional footballers.

We are also liaising with other notable sporting figures such as Merseyside Olympians, gymnast Beth Tweddle and swimmer Stephen Parry, as we seek to take advantage of outstanding facilities Liverpool FC left behind when they relocated.

Robbie and I have also spoken to the Professional Footballers Association and will be offering the site as a hub for dementia research and support for members, a subject which the public has become increasingly aware of following several high-profile cases.

Since Liverpool vacated Melwood, it’s been a personal joy for me to be able to return to the place where I spent all of my playing career.

When I retired as a Liverpool player, my morning routine was so engraved in my memory I would sometimes find myself heading towards the training ground as if I was still working there. I would have to reverse the car and realise I was no longer a Liverpool player!

It makes me extremely proud to know that I can get back to driving through those famous gates again every day.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: The Fowler-Carragher Academy at Melwood
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 11:26:20 am »
I thought Melwood was sold for housing?

Good initiative anyway.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 11:28:06 am »
The building is being taken over mate. The land around is housing.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 11:34:07 am »
Published in The Telegraph today:

I am officially returning to my spiritual home today.

Robbie Fowler and I have joined forces to take over the site of Liverpool’s former training ground at Melwood. Our academies are merging to offer a pathway for those looking for work in the football or sports industry.

It is our ambition to help create a new generation of well-trained professionals who, if they cannot revive their playing careers, will become sport scientists, physiotherapists or coaches. We will be offering several courses and scholarships for those seeking help gaining employment across many fields.

Seems like a really good project - certainly don't have to search hard/far to find stories of promising young footballers who've struggled with 'the game' rejecting them, and this seems to offer the opportunity of a future careers rather than even just a safety net.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 11:36:53 am »
The building is being taken over mate. The land around is housing.

Sounds as if they've acquired a couple of football pitches as well.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 12:14:35 pm »
Sounds like a great initiative.

Good luck to them.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 12:46:00 pm »
Good stuff, this is the kind of thing that the crazy money in the game right now should be used for.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 02:37:01 pm »
Good luck to them.

I saw a picture of Macca, Fowler, Carra, Gerrard, Owen, David Thompson, Matteo all posing for a picture at Melwood, how did we produce so many great players in the early 90’s? :o

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 02:45:32 pm »
Good to see a couple of minority sports included too as the knock-on effect of the lockdown has meant a whole generation have missed 18mths of vital early development in their chosen sports.

My eldest granddaughter had just been selected to represent Sheffield at gymnastics last February.  She had barely started training for their first tournament against Birmingham in April when everything got shut down till a few weeks ago.