Author Topic: Jon Flanagan  (Read 7088 times)

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jon Flanagan
« on: June 9, 2018, 09:04:29 am »
Good luck to the lad.
Justice for the 96!

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Jon Flanagan
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2018, 09:31:45 am »
Yeah, posted this in the youth thread forgetting his age lol.

Good luck to him. He’s had issues lately with the court case etc but is a massive red. Not sure where he’ll end up after a few failed loan spells.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2018, 11:13:54 am »
Yeah, posted this in the youth thread forgetting his age lol.

Good luck to him. He’s had issues lately with the court case etc but is a massive red. Not sure where he’ll end up after a few failed loan spells.

Championship, SPL or back to Fiorentina.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2018, 11:15:24 am »
Leaves under a dark cloud, but that goal against Spurs epitomised that season for me. Just absolute chaos.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 9, 2018, 12:03:06 pm »
Shame he had his injury problems. Some will just write off what he did in 13/14 but I remember one of the things that impressed me was how cool his distribution was. There's a decent player in there.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #5 on: June 9, 2018, 12:08:09 pm »
Finally. Absolute scummy move what he did. Grabbing someone by the neck and pushing them into a wall and hitting them whilst they're on the floor. No excuses. Glad he's finally gone.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 9, 2018, 03:33:08 pm »
From loving him with that goal against Spurs to the actions that landed him in court, big-time fall from grace.

Glad he's gone, the woman-beating scum.  Should have happened in January.
"Issues".  A top-flight footballer kicking a woman twice is more than issues, mate.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 11:42:45 pm »
He has been let go from Rangers. The kid just could not live up to the hype of that season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52728944
"Salahs in here......"

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 09:23:44 pm »
We'll always have the Spurs lob-on.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 10:35:02 pm »
I am sure he will latch on to a Championship or League 1 team.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 04:20:46 pm »
The kid just could not live up to the hype of that season.

The one in Florence?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 06:40:30 pm »
I am sure he will latch on to a Championship or League 1 team.
would be stunned if a championship team signed him

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 12:59:02 pm »
Genuinely thought he would go on to have a solid career either as a squad player at Anfield or in the Premier League. His domestic abuse incident was a huge things, rightly so, against him. Hopefully other young lads take note that off field behaviour can have devastating consequences on their careers.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 07:45:00 pm »
Silly boy - will probably end up at a club like Bolton (no offence to them), when he could have been much more with the right application.

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 10:00:10 pm »
He has been let go from Rangers. The kid just could not live up to the hype of that season.

Just noted that Jordan Rossiter was also released alongside Flanagan.
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 07:01:26 am »

He did a job that year but he didn't offer a lot going forward and was dribbled past more than anyone in the league IIRC. If we had a defence that wasn't largely hopeless we'd have breezed it that year.

Still if Gerrard didn't slip or Hendo doesn't get that red he'd be looked on as a legend as part of a title winning team.

Rossiter had a lot of potential, to be fair they've both been absolutely ravaged by injuries.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fredo C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: November 4, 2020, 12:31:17 pm »
Flanagan has signed a 1-year contract at Belgian club RSC Charleroi:

https://twitter.com/SportCharleroi/status/1323956595118792706

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2020, 07:34:39 am »
RCSC Charleroi are in first place in the Belgian league. That's a nice move for Flanno.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #18 on: February 4, 2021, 05:34:39 pm »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Longwood NY

• Main Stander
  • Innit
« Reply #19 on: February 5, 2021, 09:37:18 am »
Flanno leaving Charleroi having not played a match for them.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/jon-flanagan-suffers-life-after-23329649
I don't get it...has he turned into an absolute donkey? He was a decent footballer?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #20 on: February 5, 2021, 09:44:58 am »
I don't get it...has he turned into an absolute donkey? He was a decent footballer?

...probably not really to be honest, rode a hell of a crest of a wave that 13/14 season but he was always a bit of a donkey
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 5, 2021, 12:42:32 pm »

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jon-flanagan/verletzungen/spieler/145922

Missed the best part of two seasons with serious knee injuries straight after 13/14. Went to Burnley on loan for 16/17 and barely played. A few games on loan for Bolton in the Championship in 17/18.

He's 28 and only made double figures in appearances twice in a season over his career. He's not played enough football. Bearing in mind he was playing for Liverpool's first team 10 years ago and has barely played 100 first team games in his career 10 years on.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2021, 12:50:26 pm by Fromola »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: February 5, 2021, 12:43:56 pm »
Shame it didn’t work out for him at Florentina.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 5, 2021, 12:47:12 pm »
Shame it didn’t work out for him at Florentina.

He's no Bobby Duncan.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #24 on: February 5, 2021, 12:58:12 pm »
It's a shame to see a career that briefly held some promise (indeed, at one point the likelihood of a Premier League winners' medal in a season in which he was a fixture in the side for over half of the season) fizzle out somewhat.  Let himself down big-time with the criminal assault of his girlfriend in 2017, which points towards some personal issues but remains inexcusable.  40 appearances in the last four an a half seasons must be a very hard-to-swallow reality for a professional footballer who - whatever their level - should be in his prime, however.

The easy comparison - due to their ages and the timing of their debuts - is with Jack Robinson, who dropped down a tier and has since made almost 200 appearances & worked his way back to the Premier League in the process.

Another, slightly older, is Jay Spearing - not quite the fixture that Flanagan briefly was, but made a similar number of appearances over (mostly) two seasons with us - who also dropped down a tier (and two) and has played 300-odd matches (and captained sides since).

Hopefully he can find a suitable club with whom to get back into it a bit, and play some regular football during what could yet be a 'second half' of his career.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 6, 2021, 10:31:18 am »
It's a shame to see a career that briefly held some promise (indeed, at one point the likelihood of a Premier League winners' medal in a season in which he was a fixture in the side for over half of the season) fizzle out somewhat.  Let himself down big-time with the criminal assault of his girlfriend in 2017, which points towards some personal issues but remains inexcusable.  40 appearances in the last four an a half seasons must be a very hard-to-swallow reality for a professional footballer who - whatever their level - should be in his prime, however.

The easy comparison - due to their ages and the timing of their debuts - is with Jack Robinson, who dropped down a tier and has since made almost 200 appearances & worked his way back to the Premier League in the process.

Another, slightly older, is Jay Spearing - not quite the fixture that Flanagan briefly was, but made a similar number of appearances over (mostly) two seasons with us - who also dropped down a tier (and two) and has played 300-odd matches (and captained sides since).

Hopefully he can find a suitable club with whom to get back into it a bit, and play some regular football during what could yet be a 'second half' of his career.

Yeah, Jack Robinson is about the same age and they came through together. Robinson also missed a full year with a knee injury around the time Flanagan did. Difference was he went to QPR and got a full season in The Championship when he recovered. Flanagan was sat on the bench all season on loan at Burnley after missing the previous two seasons.  Robinson was the better prospect out the two though. He suffered a lot with injuries early in his career.

Players need games. There's players that play more in two seasons than Flanagan has in his whole career.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 7, 2021, 02:58:24 pm »
Yeah, Jack Robinson is about the same age and they came through together. Robinson also missed a full year with a knee injury around the time Flanagan did. Difference was he went to QPR and got a full season in The Championship when he recovered. Flanagan was sat on the bench all season on loan at Burnley after missing the previous two seasons.  Robinson was the better prospect out the two though. He suffered a lot with injuries early in his career.

Players need games. There's players that play more in two seasons than Flanagan has in his whole career.

Remember that league game against Arsenal when Van Persie scored a penalty in the 96th minute and Kuyt likewise in the 100th minute. And Dalglish told Wenger to piss off afterwards.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 7, 2021, 10:00:04 pm »

You could look at Peltier as well - he left Liverpool at 22 having not made a single senior appearance but got his head down after leaving the club and is now closing on 450 appearances mostly at Championship level. Technically he is currently a Premier League player.

In a weird way that 13/14 season was the worst thing that could have happened to Flanagan's career. Everything since then has been a massive comedown for him. On a human level you can see how that might be difficult to deal with.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 8, 2021, 10:39:43 am »
You could look at Peltier as well - he left Liverpool at 22 having not made a single senior appearance but got his head down after leaving the club and is now closing on 450 appearances mostly at Championship level. Technically he is currently a Premier League player.

In a weird way that 13/14 season was the worst thing that could have happened to Flanagan's career. Everything since then has been a massive comedown for him. On a human level you can see how that might be difficult to deal with.

Martin Kelly as well. Another young Liverpool defender who had a terrible time with injuries (and he played a few PL games for us in 13/14). He's played 150 games for Crystal Palace since.

Offline TealC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2021, 10:57:23 am »
Just signed for the Danish second division team HB Køge. Daniel Agger is the manager.