Author Topic: Today's shooting - The Sandy Hook Memorial Thread - Thoughts and Prayers  (Read 530614 times)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Holy shit, what a mentally sick fuck. And having a gun readily available to these kind of vile human beings is a recipe for disaster.
One of the first comments on that was "I hope no diplomatic immunity is involved" because he was driving a Maserati. Like, seriously, what the absolute fuck? I can't work out what's worse: the dickhead doing the shooting, or Americans assuming the person doing it must have been a foreigner, because only a non-American could do such a thing and be rich enough to own an Italian sports car.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 02:02:51 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Thoughts and Prayers?

It's almost like America has stupid laws or something..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Remember that inbred nutter that shot up San Jose last week?
233 mass shootings so far this year. Yeah.

San Jose shooting: Guns, petrol and 22,000 rounds of ammunition found

The man who killed nine people in California this week had 12 firearms, more than 20 cans of petrol, and approximately 22,000 rounds of ammunition at his house, police say.

Samuel Cassidy, an employee at the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) site in San Jose, opened fire at the site on Wednesday.

He killed himself as police closed in, officers said.

The mass shooting was the California Bay area's deadliest since 1993.

So far this year, the US has recorded 233 mass shootings, the Gun Violence Archive reports.

According to the local sheriff's office, this was "a planned event and the suspect was prepared to use his firearms to take as many lives as he possibly could".

Police announced on Friday that the gunman had also set his home on fire before the attack.

Guns were hidden in crawl spaces and doorways, a spokesman told reporters at a press conference. The home was "very cluttered", he said.

Officers also said Cassidy had put bullets in a cooking pot on the stove, which detonated and set the house on fire. An FBI agent quoted by Reuters news agency said this blaze probably destroyed evidence which could have helped provide a motive for the shooting.

Emergency services were responding to reports of a fire at what was later found to be Cassidy's home at the same time as police were heading to the scene of the shooting.

Shots were first fired at around 06:30 local time (14:45 GMT) on Wednesday at the VTA site in San Jose.

Officers said Cassidy was armed with three semi-automatic hand guns when he opened fire after a morning union meeting. Sheriff Laurie Smith added on Friday that Cassidy's locker at the rail yard had "materials for bombs, detonator cords, the precursors to an explosive".

Cassidy's ex-wife, Cecilia Nelms, told the Associated Press news agency that he told her he wanted to kill his colleagues, but she had never believed he would do it. Doug Suh, a neighbour of Cassidy, told the Mercury News that he was "lonely" and "strange".

Thousands of people are killed by guns in the US every year. In April President Joe Biden announced new actions to tackle gun violence.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Fact:  In America, there could be and will be mass shootings every week or every day and there would be more of an appetite to arm everyone than to disarm anyone.

The only glimmer of any kind of hope, is that I've noticed many more tv adverts for online mental health counseling.

A pathetic palliative and very sad indictment of the 2nd Amendment.
Kill the humourless

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The fact the judge thinks an AR-15 is a “fairly ordinary” gun and the “perfect home defence weapon” says it all really.

It is perfect, no home invader is going to survive 30 rounds from an AR-15. Might kill a few neighbours with stray rounds going through the walls, but you might never have likely BillyBob anyway, so no great loss.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
In the opening to his ruling, Judge Benitez wrote: "Like the Swiss Army knife, the popular AR-15 rifle is a perfect combination of home defense weapon and homeland defense equipment. Good for both home and battle."

He said current California legislation banned "fairly ordinary, popular, modern rifles".

"This case is not about extraordinary weapons lying at the outer limits of Second Amendment protection. The banned 'assault weapons' are not bazookas, howitzers, or machine guns. Those arms are dangerous and solely useful for military purposes," the ruling said.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If I lived in America and was a paranoid coward I would have a pump action for home protection.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No, I’m back in my underground shelter again since all those Californians are moving into Texas in droves. Gotta stay safe.

Why would they move to Texas? They can probably just get assault weapons in CA now.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

"This case is not about extraordinary weapons lying at the outer limits of Second Amendment protection. The banned 'assault weapons' are not bazookas, howitzers, or machine guns. Those arms are dangerous and solely useful for military purposes," the ruling said.

What's the difference between a "machine gun" and an AR-15?

Just curious. I guess one is semi-automatic?

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
Why would they move to Texas? They can probably just get assault weapons in CA now.
The reason Joe Rogan did.

Lower taxes.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What's the difference between a "machine gun" and an AR-15?

Just curious. I guess one is semi-automatic?

A machine gun is always fully automatic, just squeeze the trigger and it fires until you release the trigger or it runs out of ammunition. An AR-15 is semi automatic, a more accurate term is self loading, and does not, unless modified, have the capability to fire full auto like an M16.

The stupid thing is you can buy a bump stock to legally (ban got overturned I believe) mimic full auto fire. Its not as accurate as shooting semi automatic though, full auto never is.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
A machine gun is always fully automatic, just squeeze the trigger and it fires until you release the trigger or it runs out of ammunition. An AR-15 is semi automatic, a more accurate term is self loading, and does not, unless modified, have the capability to fire full auto like an M16.

The stupid thing is you can buy a bump stock to legally (ban got overturned I believe) mimic full auto fire. Its not as accurate as shooting semi automatic though, full auto never is.

Well not quite.

A LMG (Light Machine Gun) is a much heavier piece of ordinance, whereas a Machine Gun is heavier still and usually in a fixed position.

An AR-15 is a semi-automatic rifle which is (as you correctly say) a weapon that fires one shot per pull of the trigger (the reason it's semi-automatic is that after each pull it cycles the bolt itself, whereas with other non-automatic rifles, you'd have to cycle the bolt manually between each shot). The thing you are calling a 'machine gun' is actually an automatic rifle which is an autoloading rifle which (as you say) can fire multiple shots by holding the trigger down. Modern examples of this (as all modern shooting gamers will know :) ) are the M16 Assault Rifle, the Steyr AUG Bullpup and the Armalite AR-10 (Which the AR-15 is a scaled-down version)

* Gun Game Nerd * :)

No doubt I got most of that wrong as I only play with guns in computer games (Though the first time I went on one of those shotgun experiences, I hit 49 out of 50 targets on my first and last go - so looks like games really do help your aiming and hand/eye co-ordination)

:)

As people have said - if there are guns you can use recreationally - that are locked up at a gun range and secure and you're not allowed to take them out, then I think guns could be a lot of fun and I have friends that I knew that had guns at rifle / gun ranges and really enjoyed their hobby.

The problem the US has are many - it's politicial and it's also personal - it's about rights and it's about bloody-mindedness, it's about 'resisting' and being 'free' and it's about corporations and politiians making tons of money.

You're never going to sort that out. The genie is out of the bottle and is rolling around on the floor with a load of double aught up it's bum.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2021, 08:52:43 am by Camping in a pub in Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤

Yes. It is long. Watched every minute though.

Jordan Klepper's new piece is brilliant but absolutely heart wrenching.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤

#IWearOrange

We wear orange to fight for a future free from gun violence. We organize Wear Orange events to remember lives lost to gun violence and to raise awareness about and call attention to this crisis that takes more than 100 lives every single day.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
Who am I to question a judge, but this reasoning seems strange to me. A semi-automatic rifle is not dangerous then? He could just as well reasoned that “assault rifles are not fighter jets».

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
He could just as well reasoned that “assault rifles are not fighter jets».

How do you know that?

If the assault rifle comes with a f-16 attached to it, then its in the 2nd amendment that I can own the rifle and whatever accessory that comes along with it.

If you talk against it, you are taking my god given constitutional right away from me.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57299851

Latest in Florida
That's terrorism plain and simple but there's always a reluctance to call it so.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Ex-NRA Leader Tricked Fake Graduation Speaking Gig

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/e-ZZ1REoqsU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/e-ZZ1REoqsU</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TwNJtPOhACI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TwNJtPOhACI</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CJf6PSreThc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CJf6PSreThc</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Really powerful.

Won't change anything.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Really powerful.

Won't change anything.

And that IS the problem.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And that IS the problem.

Until the "guns are more important than people" mindset changes then it'll continue.

So not in my lifetime at least.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Just another holiday weekend in the US.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/05/us/us-shootings-july-fourth-weekend/index.html

I just read this exact headline and was going to post the same thing

Isn't it great when a national holiday becomes a reason for 400 shootings

fucks sake

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Those are battlefield statistics. In fact, I dare say that in any ongoing conflict today, you'd be hard pressed to count over 500 casualties in a weekend, dead or injured.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
I just read this exact headline and was going to post the same thing

Isn't it great when a national holiday becomes a reason for 400 shootings

fucks sake

The thing is though, that I'm not sure whether the national holiday is the reason for that or whether the numbers are basically just the same every weekend. From Friday to Monday there were more than 500 shootings with 233 people killed and 618 injured. I couldn't find any numbers for specific days on the Gun Violence Archive website (https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/past-tolls) and they seem to have changed their reporting in 2019, but if you look at 2018 there were 54.128 incidents with 14.895 deaths and 28.286 injuries. That's 148 incidents per day with 40 deaths and 77 injuiries. Taking into account that the 2018 numbers seem to have been on the "lower" side, I'm not sure that this weekend is really anything out of the ordinary. The numbers will be slightly higher for the 4th of July weekend with people getting out more or visiting familiy/friends, but the scary thing is, I'm not sure whether the numbers will be significantly lower on a "normal" weekend based on the yearly data...

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
Just another holiday weekend in the US.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/05/us/us-shootings-july-fourth-weekend/index.html

Saw this earlier elsewhere and just thought, just another holiday weekend in America.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
Believer

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Watching the memorial to the Norwegian mass murder on BBC.  Cringing every time they mention his fucking name, thinking how many thousands of misfits are thinking "Ooooh that looks like fun.  I'd go to jail and be a big supervillain like that."

When is the media going to understand that anonymity is the first, best and easiest first step to stop infamy.

https://nonotoriety.com/

NO NAME.  NO PHOTO.  NO NOTORIETY.
IT’S A MATTER OF PUBLIC SAFETYNoNotoriety.com
The quest for notoriety and infamy is a well known motivating factor in rampage mass killings and violent copycat crimes. In an effort to reduce future tragedies, we CHALLENGE THE MEDIA – calling for RESPONSIBLE MEDIA COVERAGE FOR THE SAKE OF PUBLIC SAFETY when reporting on individuals who commit or attempt acts of rampage mass violence thereby depriving violent like minded individuals the media celebrity and media spotlight they so crave.
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Newsweek U.S.
'Infamy Is Just As Good': Pro-Trump Rioter Arrested After Incriminating Herself Online
BY DANIEL VILLARREAL ON 1/18/21 AT 7:03 PM EST

Gracyn Dawn Courtright, a 23-year-old senior at the University of Kentucky, has been arrested after sharing since-deleted Instagram and Twitter video posts which showed her participating in the January 6 insurrection on the U.S. Capitol.

During the insurrection, supporters of President Donald Trump ransacked the federal building while seeking to prevent Congress from certifying the victory of President-elect Joe Biden.

In her social media posts, Courtright stated that she couldn't "wait to tell my grandkids I was here," adding, "Infamy is just as good as fame. Either way, I end up more known."

She now faces a possible prison sentence after being charged with knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority; knowingly engaging in disorderly or disruptive conduct in any restricted buildings or grounds; violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, and theft of government property.

Courtright had also posted since-deleted videos on Twitter showing herself and other mob members chanting, "Whose house? Our house," while inside the Capitol.

After being contacted by authorities, she confirmed that she thought she had entered the U.S. Senate chamber during her participation. Authorities also contacted her father who she stayed with in West Virginia home. Her father confirmed that she had participated in the Capitol riots.

In her Twitter posts, Courtright said that none of the insurrectionists were being violent and she told CNN and Fox News to "think for themselves," while posting an image of herself walking alongside similarly minded rioters. She has since deleted her Instagram and Twitter accounts.

The attack left five dead, including a Capitol officer. Dozens of officers were also injured in the insurrection, including one that was beaten by an American flag.

A Reuters photojournalist has said they heard insurrectionists inside the Capitol actively hunting for Vice President Pence with the goal of killing him for refusing to oppose Biden's election victory. At another point, rioters seized the gun of Capitol police officer Michael Fanone and encouraged its new owner to kill him with it.

Insurrectionists also shattered windows while trying to access congressional chambers, smeared feces in the hallway and stole computer equipment, potentially constituting a national security breach.

https://www.newsweek.com/infamy-just-good-pro-trump-rioter-arrested-after-incriminating-herself-online-1562467
Kill the humourless

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I mean what could possibly have gone wrong?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/14/lego-handgun-block19-utah-cease-and-desist?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The sick c*nts. That's just asking for kids to shoot each other dead, especially with the fuckwits who leave a loaded firearm with reach of kids.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
I think my brain exploded reading that lego gun article.

It's like we're literally living in Robocop's commercial land.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Newsweek
Texas Crowd Stones Gunman to Death After Fatal Shooting
Benjamin Fearnow  1 hr ago

A man allegedly opened fire and killed at least one person at a Fort Wort, Texas, party on Monday morning, prompting the other attendees to reportedly stone the alleged shooter to death at the scene.

Fort Worth investigators said that a man began firing at several people in the city's Como neighborhood around 12:50 a.m. Monday near Bryant Irvin Road and the Chisholm Trail Parkway, leaving one party attendee dead. Police told KDFW-TV that the crowd defended themselves by throwing a barrage of gardening stones at the alleged shooter, and that apparently killed him. According to police, "the shooter was struck multiple times with at least one landscaping brick." Fort Worth police said the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office has not yet released the suspect's official cause of death.

Fort Worth police described the scene as a "small gathering...in the backyard of a residence," where one of the attendees became upset and left the party Sunday night. The alleged shooter then returned to the party with another individual and opened fire, killing one and injuring several, before other partygoers "gave chase to the shooter."

"The shooter turned and fired at other people; a group picked up concrete landscaping bricks and started throwing them at the shooter," police said in a statement released Monday afternoon. "At some point, the shooter was caught by the group and either fell or was taken down to the ground. The shooter continued to shoot at the group, striking at least two additional victims."

Police told local news outlets that in addition to the two deaths in the 5600 block of Shiloh Drive, one person was left in critical condition and two other people are being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

The names of the deceased gunman and the shooting victims have not been released by authorities.

"I peeked out and looked, I saw two bodies in my driveway," said Dee Edwards, a local resident who told the Star-Telegram newspaper about the fighting outside her home early Monday morning. She then promptly called the police.

Other neighbors said the group of people involved in the shooting and the stoning of the gunman all knew each other and routinely throw parties in the Como area, which runs east from Horne Street to West Vickery Boulevard. Fort Worth police confirmed to Newsweek Monday that the shooting was reported early Monday following a fight at the party.

Another neighbor in the Como area, Debra Mobley, told KDFW-TV that she did not hear the shooting, but realized there was a commotion outside her home when numerous police cars arrived. Mobley said the family who lives in the home where the alleged shooting took place had only been in the neighborhood for about one year and routinely threw parties with "loud music."

"First there was one light, then the whole street was filled with police lights," she said. "This is a quiet street. Nothing like this happens on this street. It's ridiculous. On weekends they play the music really loud. One of my neighbors had to go down there and tell them to turn it down."

Initially, Fort Worth police received reports that five people had been shot at the party, but that number was later reduced after officers arrived at the scene.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/texas-crowd-stones-gunman-to-death-after-fatal-shooting/ar-AAMA08Y?ocid=msedgntp
Kill the humourless

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah, don't mess around in Funkytown!
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Mexico sues US gun manufacturers over arms trafficking
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-58091071

The Mexican government has sued some of the biggest US gun manufacturers, accusing them of fuelling bloodshed through reckless business practices.

The lawsuit alleges that the companies knew they were contributing to illegal arms trafficking, which has been linked to many deaths.

Officials say Mexico is seeking as much as $10bn (£7.2bn) in compensation, though any amount would be decided by the court.

The companies have not yet commented.

They include Smith & Wesson and Barrett Firearms, among others. The BBC has contacted both companies for comment.

The lawsuit was filed on Wednesday in the US state of Massachusetts.

It says the Mexican government took the action "to put an end to the massive damage that the [companies] cause by actively facilitating the unlawful trafficking of their guns to drug cartels and other criminals in Mexico".

The gun manufacturers "are conscious of the fact that their products are trafficked and used in illicit activities against the civilian population and authorities of Mexico", the Foreign Ministry said in a document related to the lawsuit, according to reports.

Mexico said the companies had used "marketing strategies to promote weapons that are ever more lethal, without mechanisms of security or traceability".

The Mexican government estimates that some 70% of weapons trafficked to the country come from the US, according to the Associated Press news agency. In 2019 alone, more than 17,000 murders in Mexico were linked to trafficked weapons.

One official told reporters the damage caused by trafficked guns would be equal to around 1.7% of Mexico's gross domestic product (GDP).

Speaking at a news conference on Wednesday, Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said: "We are going to win the trial and we are going to drastically reduce illicit arms trafficking to Mexico."

Mexican officials stressed that the lawsuit was not aimed at the US government. Mr Ebrard said he believed the President Joe Biden's administration was willing to work with Mexico to curb arms trafficking.

But experts have cast doubt on Mexico's likelihood of success with the lawsuit.

Lorenzo Meyer, an emeritus professor at the College of Mexico, told AFP news agency that US law "makes it almost impossible for gun manufacturers to be held responsible" for the illegal trade.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
It’s a bold move Cotton, let’s see if it pays off for them.

It’s the right move. Finally they are trying something different than deploying the army and “going after the bad guys”. This will not solve Mexico’s problems but I like that they are taking a different approach.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2021, 08:40:24 am by dalarr »