Author Topic: Luis Garcia  (Read 168872 times)

Offline Cloggs

• Legacy Fan
  • TAFKAAS
Re: Luis Garcia - Top Bloke
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2008, 09:19:46 am »
It would be great to welcome back Pongo and LG back at Anfield...

Oh give me a break, I've read through two pages of sentimental drivel now and this just tops every exaggerated plaudit handed out here.

Garcia and Pongolle had some good moments for this club. Garcia, especially, scored some beautiful, important goals. Feck, so did Smicer (well one) and Titi Camara.

Yet none of those would have brought our team to where we are now. Winning the league is a marathon, not a sprint and to win it you can not rely on players who occasionally have one moment of glory. To have any of them back would make no sense what so ever and no letter or blind sentiment is going to change that.

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
  • I 'll be back for breakfast
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2008, 09:23:13 am »
do u all agree that letting luis go was a mistake ?i certainly feel it

No. Luis contributed to some fantastic nights with epic goals, but we'd never win the league with him as a starter. Still love the bloke to bits though.
Mark Noble is a shithouse!! - Phil M, 5/3/08

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2008, 09:29:15 am »
I still feel that Rafa would do a Fowler on this one though.
I keep telling myself this, and it does make sense from, as you say, a Rafa nostalgic sense (Luis is a winner and a Red) but also from a current squad sense (IMO we still need players who can play wide right, or in the hole, regardless of current costly incumbents - a luxury player with Luis' unpredictable creativity and guile is something we lack), and of course in the times we live in, it makes financial sense too (he'd cost very little).

Let's face it, once we steal Kun from Atletico (speed-dialling Sheikh Mo) and re-sign FSP under a secret buy-back clause (I wish!), adding Garcia alongside Torres....well it's like completing our Panini sticker collection all over again, a sense of completeness.

My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2008, 09:49:56 am »
Love Little Luis, shame his Liverpool career ended earlier than I thought it would.  Will love it if he plays at Anfield and hopefully I'll be there to sing his name.

He scored some great goals too, Juve, and the lob against the bitters spring to mind

He drinks Sangria you know  ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:52:22 am by todda »
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline redsINheart

• Kemlynite
  • inRafaWeTrust..
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2008, 10:00:37 am »
Top guy, was a vital part of the team for three years and we couldn't of won the Cl without his contribution.

lets sing for him at anfield even he's wearing atletico shirt playing against us..
siempre es possible

Offline badkhan

• Anny Roader
    • CX
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2008, 10:01:46 am »
The reason I became a Liverpool fan.

Offline tedthered

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We write our own history
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2008, 10:08:12 am »
Luis Garcia, little genius who contributed so much to the team in our historic 2005 european cup triumph,sing your hearts out at anfield in the return game for the little fella, I may even treat myself to a couple of sangrias that night. ;D
2013/2014 My 51st year with hope in my heart

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2008, 10:14:06 am »
I can see him coming back in January mostly because he's had a hard time at Atleti, and we need his chant back.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2008, 10:15:53 am »
Garcia always had the knack of getting a goal out of absolutely nothing. He's a legend...
Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2008, 10:30:34 am »
Good lad, his good moments just about outshine his frustrating moments, over all.

But it's all history now. Anyone saying they'd have him back over Benayoun, a current Liverpool player, needs a slap!

He'll get a top welcome when he's back here, even if he doesn't play.
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline penfold102

• It remains unclear as to whether "102" refers to my IQ or my dad's age - let RAWK decide! :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2008, 10:34:08 am »
The interview is on LFCTV again in 15 mins. Just watched it and I must admit the memories brought a tear to my eye.

Wouldn't want him back now though. I want my memories of him to be untarnished by a comeback that wouldn't work for him and for us. Looking forward to seeing him at Anfield soon though.
Fils et pere - Trade count of 35+

What's tomato with you?

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2008, 10:41:12 am »
The interview is on LFCTV again in 15 mins. Just watched it and I must admit the memories brought a tear to my eye.

Wouldn't want him back now though. I want my memories of him to be untarnished by a comeback that wouldn't work for him and for us. Looking forward to seeing him at Anfield soon though.
Maybe someone would be kind enough to record 'n' upload it for those of us without a Setanta sub? *nudge nudge*
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline penfold102

• It remains unclear as to whether "102" refers to my IQ or my dad's age - let RAWK decide! :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2008, 10:43:44 am »
Maybe someone would be kind enough to record 'n' upload it for those of us without a Setanta sub? *nudge nudge*

I watched it on e-season ticket. I don't have a Setanta sub.
Fils et pere - Trade count of 35+

What's tomato with you?

Offline Lorco

• Main Stander
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2008, 11:13:52 am »
Good man Luis  :wellin
Lorco

Offline Reds Turkish Delight

• Kopite
  • Form is temporary Class is permanate
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2008, 11:20:47 am »
Given us all some fantastic memories and he will get a really good reception from everybody inside the ground.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe that you are the best and then make sure that you are, in my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves."

Offline Omega-Red

• Main Stander
  • Wise men talk because they have something to say.
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2008, 01:01:02 pm »
I cant see the guy ever coming back here to be honest. Wasn’t the reason he left because his family werent quite settled? That aside, I couldn’t imagine him ousting anyone out of the squad as it is now anyway. The comparisons with Yossi will always be there, but ultimately, I think Yossi is a more consistant player taking everything into consideration.

Saying that though, I don’t know about everyone else, but it was hard not to like Luis Garcia, even when he was putting us in trouble on the edge of our own area with unnecessary back-heeled passes without looking or the like. As a fan, and someone who unfortunately feels quite detached from the game nowadays, I want to be able to relate to players, and with Luis, there was a real cheeky quality to him, but it was coupled with an honesty and decency that gives me hope that all is not lost that way. He clearly loved to play football, and always came across as someone who wanted the fans to know that first and foremost.

When you see jumped up little pricks like Bentley for example, who once when scoring for Blackburn ran towards the touchline shouting "that’s my name" in a matter of fact way, its refreshing that there are still players who its evident right away that they are as much fans of the game as they are players. Yossi as I say is our nearest comparison to Luis, and as much as I enjoy the contribution and professionalism he brings to the squad as we continue to move forward, I do miss the little glimpses of magic or everyman quality that we had with our ex number 10 (lets not speak of Voro), be it from a world class half volley over the best GK in the world at the time in a crucial CL game, or a thumb-sucking celebration which as silly as it became, was to mark the birth of his son, its things like that which as far as I'm concerned, any club would love to have memories off in equal number.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2008, 01:13:01 pm »
Great lad. Funny to think that whilst there was me (and I'm sure, a few others) last season looking at games and thinking about how Luis could have made a difference, he was thinking the same  ;D

Also like the way he says 'us' at the end. It's a bit special that he'd been here 2-3 years, and in that time forged such a relationship with the club. Well in Luis.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2008, 01:15:34 pm »
Anyone have a link to his goal against the rentboys in the 2005 semi please?Can't find it on youtube!

Offline whkoh

• Main Stander
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2008, 01:18:13 pm »

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2008, 02:14:03 pm »
I'd have him back in a shot. The team still misses his creativity and goals and there are few players I would rather have coming off our bench when we need a goal.

Offline sixpackred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2008, 06:22:10 pm »
I'd have him back in a shot. The team still misses his creativity and goals and there are few players I would rather have coming off our bench when we need a goal.

Red tinted spectacle I think. Am i the only one who remembers the groans echoing around Anfield as he lost the ball on countless occasions. I loved the guy same as everyone but it was often hard for the team to build a rhythm in attack when he was on the field, especially against gritty opposition...I miss the flare and personality bit of course but have him back in our current squad? Not a fucking chance.
"There are things to sort out with the owners and the sale of the club. It is not in the hands of the players but, once we are done with all that, let's build a proper team with a proper squad that is competitive. Maybe then we can start to fight for bigger targets."

Pepe Reina / May 01, 2010

Offline Masch20

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Well Be Coming Down The Road!!!
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2008, 06:53:20 pm »
I miss luis, and the team does at times aswell! :(

Great player though, and scored some worldie goals!

Luis Garcia
He drinks Sangria
He came from Barca to bring us joy
Hes 5'7
Hes football heaven
Atletico, took luis away
Justice For The 96
Never Forget, Never Forgive

Offline rafaisthebospheros

• Main Stander
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2008, 07:12:37 pm »
This is one of my favourite pics of Lil Luis  ;D ;D

I would still welcome him back in January!  So gutted that he left! :(  :'( >:(

If I was there for the home leg and we were 3-0 up or 2-0 in the last couple minutes I would celebrate his goal almost as enthusiastically as I did for Digglers on Saturday!

WE LOVE YOU LUIS!!!  ;D

...and Looey certainly thought it was a goal!!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:19:10 pm by rafaisthebospheros »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2008, 10:04:59 pm »
Luis is on Revisita La Liga tonigh. Programme started at 10.00, SS1
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2008, 10:07:52 pm »
Bump - Luis on SS1 now - Revista
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2008, 10:09:59 pm »
It feels awkward listening to Luis saying 'If we can win against Liverpool'
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2008, 11:13:50 pm »
Red tinted spectacle I think. Am i the only one who remembers the groans echoing around Anfield as he lost the ball on countless occasions. I loved the guy same as everyone but it was often hard for the team to build a rhythm in attack when he was on the field, especially against gritty opposition...I miss the flare and personality bit of course but have him back in our current squad? Not a fucking chance.

Probably, because in terms of 'countless occasions' it never happened. He gave the ball away sometimes, a few times a game, trying to go past players, a flick or a one-two to create a goalscoring opportunity, the kind of thing you see from any top attacking player, usually in the final third where it did us little harm. I can't recall a single time he gave the ball away and it led to an opposition goal.

Of course, there were plenty of groans from fans who expect every single attempt to break down the opposition to come off, the same fans who watch Stevie give the ball away needlessly on the edge of our area and shout 'Unlucky lad', but then he's a six foot Scouser with a shaved head, not a dimunitive Spaniard with flowing locks and an alice band.

If he was in the current squad we would have more chance of winning games and winning trophies. That to me, is obvious.

Offline Tarantino Red

• Legacy Fan
  • A$AP
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2008, 11:26:00 pm »
I know everyone debates the use of the word 'legend' - but Luis is without a doubt a legend in my eyes. Probably not in the proper sense, but he was a massive part of us winning the champions league, right from the beginning. Istanbul would never of happened without Luis. And as I'm only 21, it's by far the greatest moment of my life. So...

I love you Luis ya sexy bastard.

You won't be forgotten.

Offline twigsta-lfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2008, 11:44:16 pm »

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2008, 11:48:10 pm »
Probably, because in terms of 'countless occasions' it never happened. He gave the ball away sometimes, a few times a game, trying to go past players, a flick or a one-two to create a goalscoring opportunity, the kind of thing you see from any top attacking player, usually in the final third where it did us little harm. I can't recall a single time he gave the ball away and it led to an opposition goal.

Of course, there were plenty of groans from fans who expect every single attempt to break down the opposition to come off, the same fans who watch Stevie give the ball away needlessly on the edge of our area and shout 'Unlucky lad', but then he's a six foot Scouser with a shaved head, not a dimunitive Spaniard with flowing locks and an alice band.

If he was in the current squad we would have more chance of winning games and winning trophies. That to me, is obvious.

Top post.  Everybody in the squad is guilty of giving away possession at times.  Now we have a quality left winger, and a much more dynamic striker which would give Luis better outlets for passes then he had before.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline skrtel_power

• but you can call me Elisha
  • Legacy Fan
  • He escaped from Walton Nik
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2008, 12:38:18 am »

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2008, 07:00:35 am »
Will always love the guy for the respect he has shown the club, and for that impish grin.

He did score some important goals, but could also frustrate the hell out of you.

Hope he feels nostalgic when we stuff Atletico away and at home :)

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2008, 01:33:31 pm »
Luis Sky interview here http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,23791,12606_4369619,00.html

His accent is even better.

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
  • I 'll be back for breakfast
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2008, 01:45:20 pm »

Yeah, caught that this morning on the replay of Revista. You can tell in how high a regard the lad still holds Pool.

He'll always be a red to us with the likes of Didi and Vlad.

(Just don't fuckin' score tonight Luis!)
Mark Noble is a shithouse!! - Phil M, 5/3/08

Offline Serano

• Kopite
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2008, 01:49:40 pm »
Seems as if he'll be getting a rare start tonight. Should be a great moment for him.

Offline shanklygateslfc

• Kopite
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2008, 01:53:55 pm »
As frustrating a player as Luis was (most of the time and lets not forget that) some of his moments and goals in a red shirt will be remembered for years to come.  Can't see Rafa resigning him to be honest.  He wouldn't start and we have better players on our bench imo.

Thanks for memories Luis lad and all the best.  No place for sentiments on the football pitch. 

Get stuck in Redmen.
NO ONE PERSON IS BIGGER THAN THIS FOOTBALL CLUB!!!!!

YNWA - Justice for the 96 - R.I.P.  Never Forgotten, Forever with us.

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2008, 01:58:28 pm »
luis in 2005 was a joy
he was a ten goals a season man and nearly all of them were class
but i want him to have a stinker and i want us to hammer them and keep a clean sheet and we can sing his song at the end when we are 3 or 4 up

Offline toykeys

• Kemlynite
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2008, 02:26:13 pm »
can you imagine kuyt and garcia in the same team playing 1-2s and keeping possesion....me neither. loved garcia despite him driving me mad and was very upset when he left, but lets not forget until pongolle came on and scored against olympiakos we were going out of the champions league with a wimper,against luton we were 3-1 down in the fa cup until pogolle came on and scored 2 goals and we went on to win the fa cup that year.

Offline mulane

• rouge
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2008, 02:26:59 pm »

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
  • Out now The Goodison Persecution Complex
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2008, 02:37:54 pm »
Great and humble lad and loved to play for the red shirt unlike some who put it on without that desire.  Saw him in his interview last night and he let it known his love for the club, the city and the people.

Looking forward to seeing him back at Anfield for the second leg as he outlined he did not really get to say goodbye properly as he was injured so reason for writing the letter, more than sure he will get a fantastic response.
Try to sit on the fence and you're quickly exposed as a fraud, hiding your true feelings but fooling no one.