Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 3990434 times)

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
Re: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!
« Reply #42360 on: January 18, 2019, 10:46:22 pm »
My son and his best mate of 45 years are MASSIVE  L&H fans. They went to see it the other night and loved it. Found it to be very sad in parts but they remain nonetheless Sons of the desert!! Got to say although not an afficionado like those two, I still fall about at the antics of the great duo. Long may it continue - gentle daft comedy at no-one else's expense - brilliant!!

I find it sad that main stream TV do not show some of the classics any more. L&H Chaplin etc I am sure would entertain all ages.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #42361 on: January 18, 2019, 10:51:46 pm »
I find it sad that main stream TV do not show some of the classics any more. L&H Chaplin etc I am sure would entertain all ages.

Talking Pictures TV show reruns of a lot of the old black and white films, including Laurel and Hardy.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42362 on: January 18, 2019, 10:54:39 pm »
Talking Pictures TV show reruns of a lot of the old black and white films, including Laurel and Hardy.
Indeed they do,but that's not really main stream TV is it ?

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42363 on: January 19, 2019, 08:35:38 pm »
Been to a "family" get together this afternoon to celebrate my Father-in-laws 90th birthday.

Had a wonderful time and the old goat does not look a day older than 70 (and yes I'm serious)

The reason why I'm posting this is I'm a bit pissed off, he lives with his daughter,my sister-in-law,and her husband,they have 4 children with ages ranging from 10 to 19,

they are a very sportive family and 3 of the kids play basketball.

The older boy (17) had a game today in a sort of Sunday league level but he and his father thought that was more important than to join the rest of the family,some of who had to travel from the other side of the county.

So is it just me or would the rest of you find that a bit off?

Oh yea and my missus and son/daughter-in-law agree with me...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42364 on: January 19, 2019, 09:56:50 pm »
Been to a "family" get together this afternoon to celebrate my Father-in-laws 90th birthday.

Had a wonderful time and the old goat does not look a day older than 70 (and yes I'm serious)

The reason why I'm posting this is I'm a bit pissed off, he lives with his daughter,my sister-in-law,and her husband,they have 4 children with ages ranging from 10 to 19,

they are a very sportive family and 3 of the kids play basketball.

The older boy (17) had a game today in a sort of Sunday league level but he and his father thought that was more important than to join the rest of the family,some of who had to travel from the other side of the county.

So is it just me or would the rest of you find that a bit off?

Oh yea and my missus and son/daughter-in-law agree with me...

I agree with you. I can understand the lad wanting to go but no reason why the dad should go.

Families are very weird.

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #42365 on: January 19, 2019, 10:10:40 pm »
My plans were to retire at the end of this academic year I.e. July,  but now i will have to see if i can cope when i go back to school if not i will retire a lot sooner than that.

I'm self employed and lucky enough to have organised everything to finish at the end of May. I'm totally stressed about the whole thing, it's going to be a difficult 4 months but, due to the self employed bit, I have no choice but to go through with it. Tis after all  only 4 months.
However, if you can retire early or 'go on the sick' for the time I would do that.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #42366 on: January 28, 2019, 10:02:00 pm »
Health is really pissing me off now after the last major episode i have lost some of my limited hearing in my left ear and i have a form of Tinnitus, all connected to this Meniere's Disease, but on the good side they have doubled my medication so i can try and do some work from Wednesday onwards:

Oh well the Millwall game cheered me up bit but that knife attack on the everton fan was evil the bastard slashed his face soured my enjoyment of them getting put out with a last minute goal and a handball goal.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42367 on: January 28, 2019, 10:29:22 pm »
Health is really pissing me off now after the last major episode i have lost some of my limited hearing in my left ear and i have a form of Tinnitus, all connected to this Meniere's Disease, but on the good side they have doubled my medication so i can try and do some work from Wednesday onwards:

Oh well the Millwall game cheered me up bit but that knife attack on the everton fan was evil the bastard slashed his face soured my enjoyment of them getting put out with a last minute goal and a handball goal.

Firstly Geoff, I hope you get some respite and recover from what must be really difficult to deal with to say the least, if there is no pain I suppose that's some comfort of sorts.
Regarding the lad at Millwall, nobody can condone that type of violent thuggery it's absolutely abhorrent and the scum with the knife should go down for years. I also ask if the lad who was slashed was down there to kick off with his mates? If he went down there looking for trouble, he left himself open to some lunatic carrying a knife committing such a vile act and there's too many of them out there these days.
When in Rome...

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #42368 on: January 29, 2019, 06:48:12 am »

Sorry to hear of your ongoing condition Geoff. Life can play some fucking awful tricks on anyone, we know that - but it seems like some folks get allocated more than their fair share of the shite that's hiding in life's "unlucky" bag. I wish you all the best of medical support with the management of your "allocation" mate.

It really is time that electronic "bleeper" searches of "fans" attending matches was thoroughly intensified at the turnstile and anyone carrying a blade ought to be automatically turned over to the police. NO-ONE at all - not even your worst football supporting "enemy" - should suffer such appalling injury going to support their team. The twat that did it is by definition vermin - and therefore, such vermin deserve no mercy.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42369 on: January 31, 2019, 05:01:21 pm »
Just learned something that didn't sound right to me. Last night v Leicester I'm told Liverpool groundstaff cleared the snow from the pitch at only one end the end that Liverpool were going to be attacking. If that's right, it stinks folks. If you're going to clear the pitch of snow at halftime so the game can be sensibly and fairly continued, then surely to God ALL of the pitch gets done doesn't it? Checked it on Google just and it seems to be exactly what happened. WTF was that all about eh? Doesn't sit well at all with me.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42370 on: January 31, 2019, 05:20:32 pm »
Just learned something that didn't sound right to me. Last night v Leicester I'm told Liverpool groundstaff cleared the snow from the pitch at only one end the end that Liverpool were going to be attacking. If that's right, it stinks folks. If you're going to clear the pitch of snow at halftime so the game can be sensibly and fairly continued, then surely to God ALL of the pitch gets done doesn't it? Checked it on Google just and it seems to be exactly what happened. WTF was that all about eh? Doesn't sit well at all with me.

If that was the case I'd agree but with Alisson, Matip and VDD playing the ball out along the ground it was just as likely backfire as the ball was slowing up in the first half.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42371 on: January 31, 2019, 05:47:03 pm »
But why didn't the staff clear the whole of the pitch Howard instead of just one half? The game has to be played with a bit of fairness to both teams if there's snow on the pitch. Can't just clear one end and not expect any questions like why not the other?  Anyroad, doesn't make much sense to me as LFC defence had to cope with snow at their part of the park. They could have done with THEIR bit being swept as well don't you think?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #42372 on: January 31, 2019, 06:29:10 pm »
But why didn't the staff clear the whole of the pitch Howard instead of just one half? The game has to be played with a bit of fairness to both teams if there's snow on the pitch. Can't just clear one end and not expect any questions like why not the other?  Anyroad, doesn't make much sense to me as LFC defence had to cope with snow at their part of the park. They could have done with THEIR bit being swept as well don't you think?

It's a bit of an odd one, really. To be honest, clearing the entire pitch in 15 minutes would never be possible, though. Why they just did less than a third of the pitch at just one end I do not know. Rio Ferdinand suggested it was just a little trick to gain a slight advantage, very similar to how clubs leave the grass long when playing slick-passing sides. Personally, I don't think it brought any advantage to us at all last night.

I agree with you regarding our own end. In the first half we almost came unstuck a couple of times due to the ball holding up on the surface when being played to/from the 'keeper and out of defence. I was concerned the same would happen in the second half, giving Leicester the opportunity to poach one. In the second half having their box reasonably clear helped Leicester's defenders and 'keeper easily as much as it might have helped our attack. We certainly gained no advantage from it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:31:32 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42373 on: January 31, 2019, 06:33:41 pm »

Probably every team in the league pulls stunts like this, from watering only one end to letting the grass grow to stop passing teams, to messing with the dressing room heating.

People are up in arms over it and would rather the Human rights abusing cheats won the league over us, can't get my head around that.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #42374 on: January 31, 2019, 06:43:13 pm »
Probably every team in the league pulls stunts like this, from watering only one end to letting the grass grow to stop passing teams, to messing with the dressing room heating.

People are up in arms over it and would rather the Human rights abusing cheats won the league over us, can't get my head around that.

I could swear I remember a game this season where the opposition only watered one half of the pitch against us.

This was what Ferdinand was saying last night. I think people are making a snowdrift out of a snowflake on this.

EDIT:

I remember a few years ago I was at the Camp Nou doing the tour. The passageway that leads to the tunnel from the Barcelona dressing room was painted in a bright, uplifting colour. The passage that led to the tunnel from the away dressing room was painted in a darker, more claustrophobic colour and they said this is deliberate and done to impact on the minds of the away team.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:46:40 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42375 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:24 pm »
I could swear I remember a game this season where the opposition only watered one half of the pitch against us.

This was what Ferdinand was saying last night. I think people are making a snowdrift out of a snowflake on this.

EDIT:

I remember a few years ago I was at the Camp Nou doing the tour. The passageway that leads to the tunnel from the Barcelona dressing room was painted in a bright, uplifting colour. The passage that led to the tunnel from the away dressing room was painted in a darker, more claustrophobic colour and they said this is deliberate and done to impact on the minds of the away team.

Spurs.

https://twitter.com/carra23/status/1040941362626158593?lang=en

Doing an Anfield experience with the kids on Saturday, I'll try and get a look into the away dressing rooms. Aldo and Neal are the guests, so I'll ask them about their experiences too.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42376 on: January 31, 2019, 09:04:05 pm »

Did the Stadium tour a few years back and was told that the away changing room was deliberately double the size as the home one to make team talks more difficult.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42377 on: February 1, 2019, 09:30:17 pm »
So, we reminisce.

Assuming we all grew up in and around Liverpool, what are some arl dead Scouse expressions that you refuse to let die?

Mine is "Act soft and I'll buy you a coalyard."

None of mine get it, but they know what I mean.

It is to larf.

Apologies about replying to such an old post, but I've been reading the thread from the start and it's taking quiet a long time!

This is one is from my auntie, OK she was from Kirkby:- 

Anyway when I was a young kid and me or one of my sisters had been reduced to tears or crying for whatever random reason at the time she used to say "Don't cry - suck a lemon!!" whilst pissing her sides laughing at you. Now as a youngster and crying your eyes out and then not getting the sympathy you feel you deserved made you stop mid-blubber at what you were doing and half the time, you'd end up laughing along with her. She was funny though my auntie, still is with that ruthless lightning quick sense of humour, always makes me smile when I see her.

Whilst I don't think that "Don't cry - suck a lemon!!" is a common expression, in fact I don't think I've heard it since, but when I heard it said in a scouse accent, it could only really come from a scouser, its so ridiculous! It made me realise at such a young age that scousers don't give a shit, everything has comedy value so there's no point in feeling sorry for yourself.

A bit of background to this story, my dad used to work seven days a week at BICC on the Kirkby Industrial Estate (all the Hughes's did!) and us three kids used to spend most of the weekend with our "baby sitting" grandparents in Kirkby (big NaNa and Big GaGa). Anyway Big GaGa used to be a Black Cab driver in Kirkby and to be honest he was a bit of a bastard with us grand kids, on one occasion he physically picked up me and my little sister and lashed us out of the room because we'd been playing too loudly whilst he was trying to watch the racing (the GeeGee's) on World of Sport! He used to send me down to the local Newsagents for the Red Echo at the age of 7 or 8 and I'd have to dodge the local scallys guarding it, waiting for their next victim.

They'd probably call it child abuse nowadays but now when we get together as a family, we always laugh about it as we always knew he was a loon - the place was full of them! I wouldn't change anything, it was a great childhood.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #42378 on: February 1, 2019, 11:05:31 pm »
Ah ... Go to Bootle will ya . It meant shut up or fuck off.

One that me Nan Dixon always used .

I've always thought about it's origins. My Dah's side are South Enders and ended up in Childwall Valley. I do remember me Nan saying because Bootle is up in the North End and it's so far away hence the fuck off bit. I always thought it was about Bootle getting bombed to fuck during the war.

I reckon me Nan knows more than me though.

There's a thread for this stuff by the way.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2019, 11:12:42 pm by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42379 on: February 2, 2019, 02:42:53 pm »

I'm not one of 'em Rob. Hate the sight of City.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42380 on: February 2, 2019, 05:32:28 pm »
I'm not one of 'em Rob. Hate the sight of City.

Good man.

My wife is an ex Utd ST holder, she used to go home and away, both domestic and Europe - while she hates City, she still would prefer them to win it over us. Yet, when our son was at the Etihad academy in summer, she only set foot in the place once and refused to have her picture taken in the place, but I've got pics of her in our club shop and she has bought loads of LFC stuff for our boys.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42381 on: February 2, 2019, 09:16:13 pm »
Good man.

My wife is an ex Utd ST holder, she used to go home and away, both domestic and Europe - while she hates City, she still would prefer them to win it over us. Yet, when our son was at the Etihad academy in summer, she only set foot in the place once and refused to have her picture taken in the place, but I've got pics of her in our club shop and she has bought loads of LFC stuff for our boys.

A mixed Scouse/Manc marriage eh? Very brave or very much in love lad, one or t'other!!  ::) ::)

I hope - seeing as we will move mountains to try and close up the gap but it's a big, big ask after the bus-parker's time with us - that if we don't manage it this season, your lads are overdue (long overdue really, 29 years is it?) to lift the big pot.

I like the football Klopp has you playing (almost as much as I like the football Ole has got us playing  ;) ;).)

Always have appreciated attacking football and as much as I hate to say it, Pep has got the bluebellies playing it too it has to be said - but I still don't want them to do it again this year. I'd rather it was you than them!!
« Last Edit: February 2, 2019, 09:18:30 pm by JohnnoWhite »

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42382 on: February 5, 2019, 04:29:32 pm »
Did the Stadium tour a few years back and was told that the away changing room was deliberately double the size as the home one to make team talks more difficult.

And Shanks used to wait at the entrance to intimidate them when they arrived, good old gamesmanship.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42383 on: February 5, 2019, 07:58:42 pm »
And Shanks used to wait at the entrance to intimidate them when they arrived, good old gamesmanship.

Ah if only that was the very worst of the "dirty tricks brigade" in action today eh? Loved the fella to bits I did and I miss his wisdom and his unflinchable honesty - and for them that don't know it already, I'm a United fan but that makes not a jot of difference to my admiration of the man he was. Rest in peace Bill  much missed and loved.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42384 on: February 6, 2019, 01:51:15 pm »
Ah if only that was the very worst of the "dirty tricks brigade" in action today eh? Loved the fella to bits I did and I miss his wisdom and his unflinchable honesty - and for them that don't know it already, I'm a United fan but that makes not a jot of difference to my admiration of the man he was. Rest in peace Bill  much missed and loved.

Different times Johnno i always had a lot of respect for Busby, it was a time when you still wanted to hammer the opposition but had respect for individuals in the clubs.

I used to feel the same about Joe Mercer and Bill Nicholson as well. 

I think we had a different breed of managers then .

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42385 on: February 6, 2019, 02:22:58 pm »
Different times Johnno i always had a lot of respect for Busby, it was a time when you still wanted to hammer the opposition but had respect for individuals in the clubs.

Agrre about the quoted managers above but Don Revie was a prick and Catterick a dull bore.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42386 on: February 7, 2019, 12:46:46 pm »
Amen!!

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42387 on: February 7, 2019, 01:08:05 pm »

We had managers who firstly gave a shit about their responsibility to the fans as well as to the development of the kids in their charge. This is a true story. My cousin is Paul Power - captained City back in the day then onwards to Goodison later. When he finished playing, he was given a role with looking after the City Academy youths in Joe Royle's fairly turbulent time at City. It was around 1997/98. He told me that the City manager never went to watch the talent coming through the ranks which in one way is OK as that was Paul's job. But here's the difference. City's kids were playing United's kids "THE local Derby" and no Joe Royle at the game. Who was at the game?? Alex Ferguson and Paul told me also that it was not at all out of the ordinary because Fergie regularly attended 'cos he wanted to see what level of talent was coming through the pipeline. It killed Paul to tell me this - as me Dad's sister married a Blue Pat Power and so she became a Blue as did Paul once he'd come along!!

Offline happydaze

• ...arefuckinhereagain!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #42388 on: February 13, 2019, 04:19:33 pm »
Alright lads and lasses,

not been in for quite a while , but surprised to see no mention of the passing of Gordon Banks yesterday. There'll be a fair few on here who will have watched him play and from what I vaguely recall he always got a great reception from the Kop.....and usually played a blinder too!

RIP Gordon Banks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42389 on: February 13, 2019, 04:59:41 pm »
Alright lads and lasses,

not been in for quite a while , but surprised to see no mention of the passing of Gordon Banks yesterday. There'll be a fair few on here who will have watched him play and from what I vaguely recall he always got a great reception from the Kop.....and usually played a blinder too!

RIP Gordon Banks

Nothing vague about the genuine reception Banks got from the Kop, which he reciprocated.

Not too sure if there was the same respect shown to Gordon West (except for the handbag) or Gary Sprake.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42390 on: February 13, 2019, 07:01:16 pm »
Nothing vague about the genuine reception Banks got from the Kop, which he reciprocated.

Not too sure if there was the same respect shown to Gordon West (except for the handbag) or Gary Sprake.

Gary Sprake had his own song though,

Going back to Gordon Banks he was a brilliant keeper who although is forever linked to just one save made countless other great saves throughout his career.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42391 on: February 14, 2019, 01:21:41 pm »
Gary Sprake had his own song though,

Going back to Gordon Banks he was a brilliant keeper who although is forever linked to just one save made countless other great saves throughout his career.

No question in my mind about Gordon's quality Geoff. Gordon was at his peak and for 6 or so seasons 66 to 72 he was assuredly the best keeper in the world. And from all accounts from those who met or knew him a lovely fella. RIP to a supreme talent and as a bonus, was a decent human being.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #42392 on: February 15, 2019, 06:08:08 pm »
What I loved about his goalkeeping was the total economy of effort. He made everything he did look so easy - as the true greats often do.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42393 on: February 15, 2019, 09:47:06 pm »
It's very true they do Doc. Wonder why it is when we lesser mortals tried it, we tended more often than not to make a right arse of it??

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42394 on: February 16, 2019, 12:16:22 pm »
As a young kid watched him a few times at Anfield playing for Stoke including his last game before the car accident and remember truly outstanding displays and the crowd genuinely clapping and appreciating his display, he was that good
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42395 on: February 16, 2019, 08:07:58 pm »
As a young kid watched him a few times at Anfield playing for Stoke including his last game before the car accident and remember truly outstanding displays and the crowd genuinely clapping and appreciating his display, he was that good

Yes he was that Albie. Though he might break your heart getting to shots he'd no right to get to, I never ever remember Gordon indulging in any deliberate winding up of the opposition's fans whenever he'd just totally pissed them off by pulling out a blinder of a save. On reflection, that's the mark of both a great player AND a great gentleman of his or indeed any sport. They broke the mould when they made him. RIP Gordon - we'll not see his like again.

Offline Rick13

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42396 on: February 20, 2019, 11:56:58 am »

Great keeper and a nice man by all accounts, but not sure that the kop would have been so appreciative of his saves had he been between the sticks for Leeds/Everton/Man U  ;)   
"We believe there's never a cause that's lost" Bill Shankly

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42397 on: February 20, 2019, 12:36:30 pm »

Great keeper and a nice man by all accounts, but not sure that the kop would have been so appreciative of his saves had he been between the sticks for Leeds/Everton/Man U  ;)   
Good point, though the kop had a great affection for Gordon West I always felt. He was a great goalie and a great sport.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Rick13

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42398 on: February 23, 2019, 11:19:50 am »
Great story from Tony Cascarino in The Times recently about a meeting he had with Gordon Banks in a hotel in Liverpool ten years ago : 

“I met Gordon Banks for the first time about ten years ago,”

“It was Christmas and we danced to Love Train in a hotel in Liverpool.

“When the song came on at about 7pm I had been laughing away with my back to the dancefloor thinking, ‘Wow, it’s a bit early for this’ – and then I felt a gentle tug on my arm.

“I turned around and there was one of my heroes, a World Cup winner, telling me, ‘Jump in Tony, the love train is going.'”

“It was all a bit surreal, him holding onto my hips as we did the love train, kicking our legs out to the side on the dancefloor at the Littlewoods Christmas party,” continued Cascarino.

“I don’t know if he was a good dancer as I had my back to him but he was a safe pair of hands, he held onto my hips tightly – although he did have a big target to aim at.

“The song ended and I turned around and said, ‘Nice to meet you, Gordon.'”.
"We believe there's never a cause that's lost" Bill Shankly

Online Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42399 on: February 23, 2019, 12:23:13 pm »
Great story from Tony Cascarino in The Times recently about a meeting he had with Gordon Banks in a hotel in Liverpool ten years ago : 

“I met Gordon Banks for the first time about ten years ago,”

“It was Christmas and we danced to Love Train in a hotel in Liverpool.

“When the song came on at about 7pm I had been laughing away with my back to the dancefloor thinking, ‘Wow, it’s a bit early for this’ – and then I felt a gentle tug on my arm.

“I turned around and there was one of my heroes, a World Cup winner, telling me, ‘Jump in Tony, the love train is going.'”

“It was all a bit surreal, him holding onto my hips as we did the love train, kicking our legs out to the side on the dancefloor at the Littlewoods Christmas party,” continued Cascarino.

“I don’t know if he was a good dancer as I had my back to him but he was a safe pair of hands, he held onto my hips tightly – although he did have a big target to aim at.

“The song ended and I turned around and said, ‘Nice to meet you, Gordon.'”.

I remember that bird. Worked in the canteen at Littlewoods. Dead ringer for him.
NAKED BOOBERY