Author Topic: Match Preview: KRC Genk V Liverpool CL Wednesday 23rd October 8pm (BT)  (Read 21901 times)

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
Re: Match Preview: KRC Genk V Liverpool CL Wednesday 23rd October 8pm (BT)
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2019, 04:05:02 pm »
Salah is in training so surely he plays. Shaqiri is in Basel rehabbing his calf

Not sure I would risk him considering we have Spurs the weekend. But the drop off between Salah and Origi is that big I can see why Klopp would play him.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2019, 04:06:13 pm »
Not sure I would risk him considering we have Spurs the weekend. But the drop off between Salah and Origi is that big I can see why Klopp would play him.

Doesn't have to be Origi. Could push Ox/Gini forward.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2019, 04:09:24 pm »
Doesn't have to be Origi. Could push Ox/Gini forward.

Not convinced on playing either in the front 3 to be honest. Maybe try Brewster instead of Origi.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2019, 04:15:23 pm »
Not convinced on playing either in the front 3 to be honest. Maybe try Brewster instead of Origi.

There are other formations that can be used without the need for another attacking player [i.e. diamond and two up front]

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2019, 04:30:10 pm »
There are other formations that can be used without the need for another attacking player [i.e. diamond and two up front]

I'd be in for that too. Given the lack of additions over the summer and Shaq's injury it'd be good to see how this might pan out if there was a long-ish term injury to one of the front 3.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2019, 04:34:55 pm »
Lads, it's Genk.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2019, 04:48:03 pm »
Lads, it's Genk.

The team that held Napoli at home on matchday 2?

Lots of people said the same before Red Star away last year.

We can go on about how easy it was after we smash them, until then we prepare like it's City and play the best available team. Injuries are forcing our hand at CB & RB. The midfield is likely to change.

Already that's a lot of change. We leave Mo out that's our entire right side that's gone.

Yes, it's Genk, but we still have to beat them.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2019, 05:44:17 pm »
Matip out for sure with a sore knee

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2019, 05:52:41 pm »

Be surprised if Salah doesn’t start given he’s travelled, I’d have thought they’d have kept him back for Spurs if he wasn’t quite ready.

Already going to be 2 forced changes plus likely to be at least 1 in midfield so I think he’ll play personally.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2019, 06:46:20 pm »
Milner is starting

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2019, 06:58:37 pm »
Lads, it's Genk.
Exactly. We shouldn't be complacent but by God we're going to struggle to find minutes for players like Origi and Keita this season if we aren't prepared to give them a run out against this kind of opponent in between two massive fixtures, one if which we both dropped points in and got a physical hammering- aided by the ref.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2019, 10:12:43 pm »
Team selection for this is a difficult decision for Klopp.

Does he play his strongest team or does he bring in some new faces?

For me, he needs to try the second approach so that some players get a rest and others get some much needed match fitness.
#JFT97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2019, 10:13:41 pm »
Don't think its that difficult. 3 games in 7 days, and we already have injuries/knocks so the changes will be obvious.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2019, 10:17:08 pm »
Referee
Slavko Vinčić (SVN)

Assistant referees
Tomaž Klančnik (SVN)
Andraž Kovačič (SVN)

Video Assistant Referee
Paolo Valeri (ITA)

Assistant Video Assistant Referee
Jure Praprotnik (SVN)

Fourth official
Rade Obrenovič (SVN)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2019, 10:49:16 pm »
538 has them below Norwich but above Boca Juniors and LAFC.  /shrug

It's one thing to respect your opponent and we should as we didn't play to our level at OT and paid for it.  Here we go again, we need to pick it up and if we do then this should be a walk in the park.

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2019, 11:17:08 pm »
I’d go:

Becker
Robertson
VVD
Gomez
Milner

Keita
Fabinho
Chamberlain

Mane
Firmino
Salah

Adrian, Lovren, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Origi, Brewster.

I’d go Milner at RB mainly to make sure there’s defensive cover on the bench with Spurs in mind, depending on how Matip is. Also frees up the chance to make a change in midfield with all three of the substitutes vs the Mancs having good cameos, I think Chamberlain and Keita will start but reckon Lallana will see minutes at some point

It’s a tough one as we need the win and maybe Klopp will play it safe and stick as closely to his team as possible minus the enforced changes, but still feel there’s enough quality in that team to produce a good performance

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2019, 03:38:01 am »
have we played Origi where Salah plays? It seems we always push him left, and throw Mane over there, throws the whole team off. Surely you’d want Origi on the last shoulder, seeing he is so fast.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2019, 04:21:30 am »
PSG just thrashed the Belgian league leaders (Club Brugge) 5-0 away. Genk is currently 6 points below them in the table. We really should not be drawing or losing to this lot.

So no excuses here. Perform to our capability and we should be able to beat them. Maybe go with a more attack minded midfield 3 (OX, Lallana and perhaps Gini sitting).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 04:24:57 am by Bolrick »
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2019, 04:43:41 am »
I prefer Lallana to start and Mo is in for the second half. No need to rush him in.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2019, 04:44:30 am »
have we played Origi where Salah plays? It seems we always push him left, and throw Mane over there, throws the whole team off. Surely you’d want Origi on the last shoulder, seeing he is so fast.

Origi is right footed and playing him on the left, allows him to cut inside and shoot with his right as he often does. Mane is two footed and played his first season here on the right flank, so it's not an issue for him.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2019, 04:45:31 am »
PSG just thrashed the Belgian league leaders (Club Brugge) 5-0 away. Genk is currently 6 points below them in the table. We really should not be drawing or losing to this lot.

So no excuses here. Perform to our capability and we should be able to beat them. Maybe go with a more attack minded midfield 3 (OX, Lallana and perhaps Gini sitting).

Football unfortunately doesn't work like that. Bruge also were up 2-0 against Real and got a point in Madrid and could have scored more than they did so.. it's all meaningless

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2019, 05:22:26 am »
Find a formation for: Alisson, Robertson, VVD, Lovren, Gomez, Fabinho, Milner, Keita, Chamberlain, Mane, Firmino

And then bring on Salah for the last 15 mins if needed to gain some fitness.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2019, 05:49:17 am »
Origi is right footed and playing him on the left, allows him to cut inside and shoot with his right as he often does. Mane is two footed and played his first season here on the right flank, so it's not an issue for him.

I understand that, but Orgi’s strength isn’t in coming short and floating in across the back four.  Why not just use his pace in Salahs role and leave Mane where he has been at his best? Even if it means Orgi will have a hard time cutting in.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2019, 06:00:58 am »
I understand that, but Orgi’s strength isn’t in coming short and floating in across the back four.  Why not just use his pace in Salahs role and leave Mane where he has been at his best? Even if it means Orgi will have a hard time cutting in.

Origi can't replicate what Salah does, he doesn't have the one on one ability, dribbling and creativity in the role. In any case, I'm sure the coaching staff knows what they're doing, and why he isn't being played in said position.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2019, 06:50:57 am »
I’d go:

Becker
Robertson
VVD
Gomez
Milner

Keita
Fabinho
Chamberlain

Mane
Firmino
Salah

Adrian, Lovren, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Origi, Brewster.

I’d go Milner at RB mainly to make sure there’s defensive cover on the bench with Spurs in mind, depending on how Matip is. Also frees up the chance to make a change in midfield with all three of the substitutes vs the Mancs having good cameos, I think Chamberlain and Keita will start but reckon Lallana will see minutes at some point

It’s a tough one as we need the win and maybe Klopp will play it safe and stick as closely to his team as possible minus the enforced changes, but still feel there’s enough quality in that team to produce a good performance

Seems loads of people want to change half the team, and basically experiment with players who have hardly featured this season, based on their theoretical abilities.

There's an argument to bring Keita in, or Oxlade-Chamberlain, or to play Gomez, or Milner in defence.

But I very much doubt Klopp is going to make multiple changes like this. Trent is out, so is Matip. So the logical solution is Lovren at centre back and Gomez at right back. We play with a system in midfield, and Klopp isn't going to abandon that and start with Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain. We're assuming Salah starts, which will at least provide strength and continuity up front.

We need to win tonight, and on Sunday. Two big games for us. I'm sure Klopp will try not to deviate from a "standard" first XI, except where changes are enforced.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Indisponente

• Main Stander
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2019, 07:59:10 am »
Some former Genk players:

KdB (youth), Benteke, Origi (youth), Carrasco (youth), Courtois (youth), Milinkovic Savic, Koulibaly, Trossard, Ndidi, Bailey, Malinovskyi

Current players at Genk to watch out for:

Berge, Maehle, Hagi, ....

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2019, 08:45:03 am »
Interesting article on LFC website about Genk -
With a European track record dating back to August 1964, it's not often Liverpool tread new territory on the continent, facing an opponent they've never met in a stadium they've never previously visited.

But that’s the situation Jürgen Klopp’s Reds find themselves in tonight at the KRC Genk Arena in the eastern Belgian province of Limburg, the setting for part one of their Champions League double-header with reigning Belgian champions Genk.

On the face of it, the Blauw-Wit share many similarities with their Group E contemporaries Salzburg, having re-emerged with a new coach [after losing Philippe Clement to Club Brugge] and a transformed squad following an impressive domestic title win last season.
While the new-look Salzburg began the season as formidable as ever - as demonstrated by their dramatic fightback at Anfield three weeks ago - Genk have taken a little longer to find their feet, losing two of the first three fixtures in defence of their Jupiler Pro League title.

More recently, though, the club nicknamed ‘The Smurfs’ have begun to get going under new head coach Felice Mazzu, beating Vincent Kompany’s Anderlecht 1-0, drawing 1-1 with Clement’s Brugge and steadily climbing the league standings. That was until Saturday’s undeserved 1-0 loss away to Standard Liege - decided by a contentious late goal - left them 10 points behind leaders Brugge in sixth place.

Kristof Liberloo, sports editor of the newspaper Het Belang van Limburg, recognises parallels with the defences of Genk’s four other league titles, all of which were won in the last 20 years.

“The season after a title has always been difficult for Genk in the past,” Liberloo explains. “Now they also had a rusty start. Some key players left the club, like [Ruslan] Malinovskyi, [Leandro] Trossard and [Alejandro] Pozuelo, who left earlier to join Toronto FC in March, and also the coach Clement, who chose to join Club Brugge.

“Felice Mazzu came from Sporting Charleroi to replace him, and he needed time to have an impact and get to know the club. Now they’re getting better and better.”

Genk’s Champions League campaign, the third in their history and first since 2011-12, got off to a sobering start, losing 6-2 at Salzburg in a match where they trailed 5-1 at half-time.
But Mazzu’s side are quick learners if their goalless draw at home to Napoli on matchday two is anything to go by - a game they could have won with some more ruthless finishing.

“After our punishment in Salzburg it’s a good result, it’s only a shame we didn’t convert our chances,” said the tactician, who was born in Charleroi but is of Italian origin. “What satisfies me the most is the mentality that my team showed, the will and pride to prove themselves at this level.”

Liberloo added: “That was a vital game for Genk, it gave them a big confidence boost. They know that Liverpool and Napoli are favourites in the group, but Salzburg caught them by surprise. They didn’t underestimate Salzburg, but they didn’t expect such a beating. So they had to step up, and they did so against Napoli.”

A youth system which has produced Kevin De Bruyne and Divock Origi among others is perhaps Genk’s biggest calling card, but they are no less adept at scouting; signing and launching the careers of the likes of Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly and Leicester City’s Wilfried Ndidi over the years.

The Belgian Super Cup holders were at it again in the summer, kitting out Mazzu’s squad with new arrivals from the Czech, Danish, Romanian, Swiss and Swedish leagues, but their biggest dangerman has been in Limburg since 2016 - Mbwana Samatta, the Tanzanian forward who hit 32 goals in all competitions last season and has six to his name this term.

“Samatta is very dynamic and fast, you’re never quite ready with him as a defender,” Liberloo explained. “But [21-year-old Norwegian midfielder] Sander Berge is also a very promising player, a lot of European clubs have shown serious interest in him. Jhon Lucumi, a centre-back from Colombia, Joakim Maehle, a right-back from Denmark, and Junya Ito, a very fast Japanese winger, are all good talents for the future.

“Mazzu started with the 4-3-3 of Clement, but in the last couple of games he did some experiments with a 4-4-2. I can’t imagine that he’s going to play 4-4-2 against Liverpool - he knows better. If they can stick together and make the pitch as small as possible, they hope they can make it a difficult evening for Liverpool.”

Sounds as if they are finding their feet but we should still be too strong for them
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2019, 08:48:30 am »
Yeah, Fabinho tomorrow and at the weekend to play [get booked and miss Villa so he's ready for City]

If Fabinho gets booked against Spurs, he misses the League Cup no?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:50:52 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2019, 09:12:22 am »
Great OP Viva. With Trent out and Salah status up in the air
I think we will see
Alisson
Gomez-Lovren-VVD-Robertson
Fabinho-Keita
Milner-Firmino-Ox
Mane

I prefer Milner at RB and Lallana or Gini in but dont think that will happen

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2019, 09:14:06 am »
Will be setting off to Genk in an hour or so, haven't got a ticket and don't expect to get one but the missus wants to go to the Garden Center there...

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2019, 09:41:02 am »
If Fabinho gets booked against Spurs, he misses the League Cup no?

Unfortunately not- rules have changed. Cards and suspension stays with each cup / league.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2019, 09:48:50 am »
Would like to see Ox or Keita start this.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2019, 10:49:59 am »
They have had some talent through their ranks in the past eh? They would be a different prospect with our Divvy, Debruyne and Koulibaly still. As it is they are a young side, and I am betting they come out mirroring the 5 at the back of Sundays united. Our possession will annoy them as its their preferred mode to be possessive. Any smash and grab will do.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2019, 11:43:25 am »
Thought about a few changes too, Lovren & Gomez will start in the forced changes i reckon..
Milner will start too along with probably Keita..Fabinho holding.
Usual front 3 please, hopefully get a couple of goals up & think about resting after 65mins or so..thats the theory anyway.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2019, 11:47:42 am »
Milner RB and Gomez CB for me. Keita in for Henderson. Origi for Salah if still not fit. That's still at least 3 changes from Sunday.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2019, 11:50:57 am »
Unfortunately not- rules have changed. Cards and suspension stays with each cup / league.

How does that work if you get a red card in a League Cup match that you get knocked out in? Carries over for a year?

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2019, 11:59:13 am »
Pretty much a must win match in the context of this group I think.

Re selection, I don't think Klopp will change too much, but I would.

Think we see Gomez at RB & Lovren in for Matip. Maybe one change in MF (probably Milner for Henderson/Gini) and standard front three if Salah is declared fit.

I'd look to rest Robertson and drop Milner in at LB - have him play more conservatively and beef up MF creativity with Keita and Ox ahead of Henderson/Gini as the 6. Might look to give Mane or Bobby a rest from starting with getting Brewster in - if Mo is fit.

We're going to have to start using the squad sooner or later.

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2019, 12:05:32 pm »
Brewster not in the squad today for the youth team. Potentially get some game time tonight?

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2019, 12:16:29 pm »
Brewster not in the squad today for the youth team. Potentially get some game time tonight?

He's in the senior squad for tonight, it was posted yesterday.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2019, 12:21:31 pm »
538 has them below Norwich but above Boca Juniors and LAFC.  /shrug
They have Everton as the 23rd best club in the world as of this week.

E-V-E-R-T-O-N
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski