Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 980622 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Attacking #20
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2020, 03:41:30 pm »
Alisson is out for 4-6 weeks and he's been out for two already.  Safe to say he'll be back soon.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2020, 03:41:44 pm »
You thought we defended well ? What game did you watch exactly? We had very little to do defensively and anything we had to we did it pretty badly.

We were in a Merseyside derby, it’s still a tough game. We have more than enough quality in our side, unless people think the other 9 or 10 players are just some bargain basement footballer?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2020, 03:42:10 pm »
Alisson is out for 4-6 weeks and he's been out for two already.  Safe to say he'll be back soon.

From the sounds of Kloppo in the presser he will be back before that. I am not a doc or physio but I very much doubt Thiago will be our for too long.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2020, 03:42:25 pm »
Pointless anyway when you win a game and the officials decide they don't want you to win and ensure you don't.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2020, 03:44:50 pm »
If Thiago and Ali are out for a while still that could be the difference between winning it again and not. I am assuming VVD is out for most of, if not all of the season.

If Thiago and Alisson come back in months rather than weeks, then I honestly do not believe we win number 20 this year, I think our spine is too disrupted for too long in that instance

Is it honestly the best time for your fear mongering? It’s hard to judge if you’re genuinely THAT pessimistic or if you’re just trying to wind people up, but neither is particularly admirable.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2020, 03:45:58 pm »
We were in a Merseyside derby, it’s still a tough game. We have more than enough quality in our side, unless people think the other 9 or 10 players are just some bargain basement footballer?

No. But football is a low scoring sport. You can’t afford to concede goals from nearly every shot on goal and for the forwards to bail you out. That’s not a recipe for winning the league. Defence was our strength for the vast majority of that 106 points out of 108 possible the last 2 years. It’s been a weakness since January really. And a VVD injury is an absolute game changer in my opinion.
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2020, 03:47:37 pm »
Is it honestly the best time for your fear mongering? It’s hard to judge if you’re genuinely THAT pessimistic or if you’re just trying to wind people up, but neither is particularly admirable.

He's called Stockholm Syndrome for a reason you fucker.  ;D

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2020, 03:47:44 pm »
Pointless anyway when you win a game and the officials decide they don't want you to win and ensure you don't.

Today was exceptionally bad, but arguably poor officiating massively impacted the Villa game. No penalty for McGinn's challenge on Salah completely changed the course of the game.

Offline red whine

• goes to my hhead
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2020, 03:48:25 pm »
Thiago played on. VVD walked off. Alison making great progress. Let's not start jumping to conclusions. We have ten points from five games. Five tough games. Everton will take points off a lot of teams this season.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2020, 03:48:46 pm »
Not the best start to the season. Poor defensively, unlucky with injuries and now to top it off the referees decide to pile more misery. Feel like any complacency will be purged right out of our system and we’ll now go on a vengeful run.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2020, 03:49:11 pm »
No. But football is a low scoring sport. You can’t afford to concede goals from nearly every shot on goal and for the forwards to bail you out. That’s not a recipe for winning the league. Defence was our strength for the vast majority of that 106 points out of 108 possible the last 2 years. It’s been a weakness since January really. And a VVD injury is an absolute game changer in my opinion.

Why do we need so many points to win a league? Is there another side as good as us?

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2020, 03:55:20 pm »
The game against Everton feels like it could be a deciding factor against our title challenge. 2 points dropped and and injuries to VVD and Thiago. If they are out for 2-3 months we could be 10 points behind the leaders in January and point at this exact game as one of the main reasons  :(
So be it. Long term injuries to 3 world class players (including Ali) is something no team could handle.

But let's just wait to see how the season unfolds. I don't think you'll a team as dominant as we were last season or City were the season before, so there is no need for every single point to be taken.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2020, 03:55:46 pm »
Why do we need so many points to win a league? Is there another side as good as us?

Yup.
It’s going to be a much more normal total to win it this season given the fixture congestion etc - high 80s most likely
If you look at our start in that context it’s really good - one odd loss, 3 really good wins and a point away in one of our tougher fixtures of the year

We’re also the best team / squad in the league imo

Much more likely to be a marathon rather than the 38 game sprint it’s been last two years

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2020, 03:56:31 pm »

Tbf I've had a bit of a shitty day in general other than the match, so that's almost certainly playing a part in my pessimistic mindset too.

But I am genuinely worried about the core of the team if they are out for an extended period. It's 3 key players, if they are out for a while any team would be badly affected. I hope not, but that could have a really bad effect on our season.

We are weaker at the back and in the middle without them, so hopefully it isn't too long.

Offline Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2020, 04:11:53 pm »
Yup.
It’s going to be a much more normal total to win it this season given the fixture congestion etc - high 80s most likely
If you look at our start in that context it’s really good - one odd loss, 3 really good wins and a point away in one of our tougher fixtures of the year

We’re also the best team / squad in the league imo

Much more likely to be a marathon rather than the 38 game sprint it’s been last two years

Agree that 10 points from our first 5 isn't terrible in any way, even though the manner of how we lost points today is really frustrating. Our bad luck with injuries to very important players could see us having quite a gap to make up for in that marathon once we're back to our best though. Let's just hope we can stick in it and have a bit more "luck" with refs and injuries for the next few games.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2020, 04:14:43 pm »
Thiago played on. VVD walked off. Alison making great progress. Let's not start jumping to conclusions. We have ten points from five games. Five tough games. Everton will take points off a lot of teams this season.

Good point mate (not the draw today, your point  ;D) - It's been a tough start to the season. Of course today we were robbed and the Villa result was beyond bad, but it hasn't really been a particularly easy start.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2020, 02:34:28 am »
Hopefully these setbacks, if they happen, will make the rest of the squad even more determined.

Are we finishing our chances as well as we could, though? I don't know what the stats say, and I'm an advocate of stats so try not to argue against them, but just from watching it seems that among the normal and expected amount of missed opportunities (that all clubs tend to experience in a game) there tend to be one or two each game that we really should be doing better with.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2020, 02:52:29 am »
A flurry of setbacks either side of a long and irritating international break has made the season feel a bit more in jeopardy than it actually is, the only teams having a hot streak are mid-table sides that will fall away soon enough, and the potential competitors for the title are all having their own issues. Losing van Dijk and Alisson sucks but the latter will hopefully be back soon and Thiago and Jota are huge additions. Our squad depth will hopefully allow us to really dominate teams once the rigours of the schedule start to kick in more. Hopefully we rotate hard for the CL games, especially as our group shouldn't be too intense.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2020, 02:57:32 am »
Biggest setback is the loss of our core defenders who has improved the defence to the CL and PL titles. That is the challenge.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2020, 03:46:46 am »
It will be even sweeter if we do it.

It's open, and we still got quality players.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2020, 07:07:59 am »
I slept through the 4-0. Was sick of staying up watching kompany score that goal.

Decided never to give up on this team again. If there’s a group that can still win this, it’s the mentality monsters.

Expecting the worst for Van Dijk, but hoping Thiago and Allison will be okay soon. If so, then we are stocked in midfield and Fab gives us another option in defence. Work with that till Jan then see where we are.

Won’t be a cake walk anymore, but that’ll make the win even sweeter.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2020, 07:42:12 am »
Annoying we have City away coming up relatively soon when we may still be hampered with these injuries.

But we’re still favourites in my view. Win the games you’d expect us to and we’ll be right up there. We’re not going to see a ridiculous  points tally from anyone this year I think. Once we get our heads around that, the easier it is to accept we’re in a handy position with a couple of nice looking home games to come.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2020, 10:04:37 am »
I think people forget what our (years of) form was like pre VVD. He is that good and will make a huge difference in both penalty boxes. If he is out for the season City are definitely favourites. 
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2020, 10:22:32 am »
I think people forget what our (years of) form was like pre VVD. He is that good and will make a huge difference in both penalty boxes. If he is out for the season City are definitely favourites. 

I’m not forgetting. But in that half season before he joined and we still didn’t have Alisson we were still comfortably top 4. Other top sides’ levels have dropped off since then. We actually beat City in that 4-3 game without Virgil.

Losing him for a long period of time is a huge blow and I think we’ll have to accept it will probably mean a few silly dropped points along the way but I think we’re fortunate in that respect that it’s happened this season when it feels like you won’t need mid 90 points to win the League.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2020, 10:25:18 am »

Losing Van Dijk would be a big blow for us, but to be honest, Man City are not the team they were couple of seasons ago. The title this season will be won by 80-85 points ...

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2020, 10:32:40 am »
VVD is like City losing Laporte - the defence is not the same unit at all. Ultimately this was going to happen at some point, we all feared it, but in this manner with no consequence for Pickford really takes the piss.

We can't change it now.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2020, 10:34:30 am »
I’m not forgetting. But in that half season before he joined and we still didn’t have Alisson we were still comfortably top 4. Other top sides’ levels have dropped off since then. We actually beat City in that 4-3 game without Virgil.

Losing him for a long period of time is a huge blow and I think we’ll have to accept it will probably mean a few silly dropped points along the way but I think we’re fortunate in that respect that it’s happened this season when it feels like you won’t need mid 90 points to win the League.
Also, we were a very different squad/first 11 the season before that so it's hard to really compare (and that side finished on 76 points)

Probably just repeating your second point here  :D losing him for the season, if that is the case, makes us worse, same with Alison being out, or say if Salah went down, but we're still a very good team without them. And very good teams challenge for and win trophies. You don't always need to be playing like one of the greatest sides ever to win stuff.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:39:13 am by Chris~ »

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2020, 10:46:40 am »
VVD is like City losing Laporte - the defence is not the same unit at all. Ultimately this was going to happen at some point, we all feared it, but in this manner with no consequence for Pickford really takes the piss.

We can't change it now.

People seem resistant to this idea but the gap between our number 1 and 2 to our 2 and 3 as partnerships is the best in the league and way better then City’s
We also have a better keeper and better DMs

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2020, 10:48:55 am »

We can't change it now.

Laporte is not as good or as influential for them and at the same time Stones and Otamendi are nowhere near the quality of Gomez and Matip.

Once we get Alisson back and we can get that midfield settled as a squad then we will be absolutely fine.

Gomez and Matip make up two of the best 5 centrebacks in the league.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2020, 10:49:16 am »

loads has changed since then though, incredible mentality, better midfield, lightyears better in goal etc etc. Of course he's a big miss but we are still better than everyone else in every single area even without him. Though if our games continue to be officiated like yesterday and at Villa then yeah, there's little chance of us winning the league regardless of how well we play.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2020, 10:54:30 am »
The last couple of seasons have distorted peoples' idea of a normal season or how titles are typically won. Almost 100 points isn't normal, practically sealing the title before spring has arrived is even more bizarre. Last season everythin went our way. We were fantastic and had hardly any injuries and were a bit lucky at times. This year we'll clearly have to fight for it.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2020, 11:19:20 am »
Even if VVD is out, we can still win the title. I'd expect us to probably be more like Liverpool of old in that we score a ton, but concede lots too, which to be fair, we have been doing even with VVD.

Without him, our defence isn't elite, but everywhere else on the pitch is. And that's still good enough to challenge for everything.

On the brightside, if we do win the league and/or CL, or get close - nobody can cry that we got lucky with injuries or VAR anymore after yesterday.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2020, 11:21:03 am »
Even if VVD is out, we can still win the title. I'd expect us to probably be more like Liverpool of old in that we score a ton, but concede lots too, which to be fair, we have been doing even with VVD.

Without him, our defence isn't elite, but everywhere else on the pitch is. And that's still good enough to challenge for everything.

On the brightside, if we do win the league and/or CL, or get close - nobody can cry that we got lucky with injuries or VAR anymore after yesterday.

I think defending set pieces will be an issue. But Matip returning is a big deal also and Allison is back soon.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2020, 11:24:18 am »
I think that the absence of Van Dijk will prompt Klopp of tweaking our system a bit, with 2 of Matip/Gomez/Fabinho playing in central defence, and 2 of Fabinho/Henderson/Thiago as a double pivot in front of them. It would be crucial if Thiago is also not absent for too long, so we can keep our tactical flexibility ...

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2020, 04:59:53 pm »
Laporte is not as good or as influential for them and at the same time Stones and Otamendi are nowhere near the quality of Gomez and Matip.

Once we get Alisson back and we can get that midfield settled as a squad then we will be absolutely fine.

Gomez and Matip make up two of the best 5 centrebacks in the league.
Bookies disagree. City almost odds on to win the title. We're out to almost 3/1. Crazy market overreaction to Spurs winning a couple of games. Very clear third favourites at less than 7/1  :o Everton fourth favs at 26/1 while Chelsea are 29/1 and United at 37/1.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2020, 05:10:37 pm »
Bookies disagree. City almost odds on to win the title. We're out to almost 3/1. Crazy market overreaction to Spurs winning a couple of games. Very clear third favourites at less than 7/1  :o Everton fourth favs at 26/1 while Chelsea are 29/1 and United at 37/1.

Laughable odds.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2020, 05:15:20 pm »

The bookies protect themselves with City. We were close to odds on after City lost to Leicester. The bookies put City in as favourites to win the CL every single year and they've never had to pay out on that yet.

It's a bit of a carousel of hype/bookies buying the hype/bettor buying the hype/bookies protecting themselves.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2020, 05:18:42 pm »
Laughable odds.
Agreed. After most teams have played 5 games, it is all a bit nuts.

The bookies protect themselves with City. We were close to odds on after City lost to Leicester. The bookies put City in as favourites to win the CL every single year and they've never had to pay out on that yet.

It's a bit of a carousel of hype/bookies buying the hype/bettor buying the hype/bookies protecting themselves.
Also lots of mugs backing City to win those competitions. The Spurs odds right now are a monster punter overreaction to them winning a few games by big scores. We have already lost 10 players to the virus or injuries. Okay most are a few weeks out here and there but even so, that kind of injury run would bury Spurs, and probably City. Any other team as well.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2020, 05:33:44 pm »
If we didn't sign Thiago, i would say with the injuries we have, we would have struggled to win the league.

He's a game changer though.

Any loss we suffer at the back with Van Dijk, will be neutralised with what Thiago will bring to our attack. Our chance creation is going to step up a further level with him in our XI.

We have been great the last few seasons as an attacking force, but it has always seemed very efficient and machine like with the make-up of our midfield. A little bit of football has now come into the team. Our passing combinations are far better and that is only after a few games of him in the side. He'll be more aware to the patterns and movements of his teammates in the months to come.

If we can get 30 league games out of him, we will take some stopping up top. Defensively we will have our issues but we'll get by. Allison will be back in a few weeks. Fabinho will get games at CB and will surprise many of our own fans and neutrals out there.

I think 85 points will do it. So we need to make sure we up it from here as 10 points from 5 games isn't the rate we need to be going at. Our aim has to be to win 4 out of our next 5 and then we can start going on a roll from there.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:39:36 pm by Pradan »

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2020, 05:58:40 pm »
I don’t bet on Liverpool the emotional ups and downs are enough - but us at nearly 3/1 is an incredible bet / price