Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 983671 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Attacking #20
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2020, 04:44:51 pm »
We can win the league but we can also finish out the top 4. It's a freakish season with no normality to it at all and injuries/covid have already battered us and we're going to be down to the bear bones defensively where we were already struggling. Getting through the CL with Ajax and Atalanta is a huge task now as well given the injuries. Lose on Wednesday and it goes down to the wire again like the last two seasons.

Priority is making sure we're back in the CL next year, given the huge hit we've already took financially.

That's not the priority. Priority is challenging and winning the league. We have the strongest team by far in this league and we have the added benefit of herd immunity with some of our key players ;D

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2020, 04:47:46 pm »
That's not the priority. Priority is challenging and winning the league. We have the strongest team by far in this league and we have the added benefit of herd immunity with some of our key players ;D

We did until the Mongrel dogs of war thugs took out our best player in the one position we were short in.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Andypandimonium

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2020, 04:49:40 pm »
People writing us off for the title are nuts.

Yes, it's a huge blow to lose Virgil but we're far better team now than when he arrived. Also, there's a transfer window opening in ~2 months.

Mike Edwards to play his magic again.

It's bad but we can turn that into an opportunity to lower the pressure, play the underdog card (because without VVD), while battering most teams in the league.

My money is on the Reds for number 20!

No doubt!

That's the spirit! Let the doomladen lay down their doom. Robbo tells me Thiago is going to exact his revenge on the blue shite by ripping every opponent asunder. So there!

Up the fuckin' reds and feck the rest  :scarf :scarf :scarf

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2020, 04:50:05 pm »
We did until the Mongrel dogs of war thugs took out our best player in the one position we were short in.

That will be for 2 months but in Matip, Fabinho and Gomez can you tell me another side that has better defenders than them three?

In front of that (and behind in Alisson) we are absolutely the best team in England. City cannot match our midfield and our attack is as good if not better. None of their wingers are as good as Mane and Salah, maybe Sterling competes but that's about it.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2020, 04:55:45 pm »
We can win the league but we can also finish out the top 4.

I see where you are coming from with regards to the freak nature of the season and results so far. However, I struggle to see how 4 teams finish above us this season. We've played 5 games this season and dominated 4 of them. Leeds, Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton aren't mug and we've easliy been the dominant team in each game -  even if the final result didn't necessarily reflect this. I think the 7-2 v Villa and the VvD injury are skewing thoughts somewhat.

I know Virgil's absence leave a hole in the team but take a look at our squad. The 18 we named on Saturday was really strong. We still have Alisson, Tsimikas, N.Williams, Keita, AOC, Shaqiri and Origi beyond those 18. Not many have squads are this big and deep in quality. When the games are coming thick and fast it'll put us in good stead. We may also strengthen in January.

Top 4 and CL last 16 should be our bare minimum target. Realistically though we should be aiming higher than that with the squad and coaching staff at our disposal.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:57:20 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2020, 04:55:54 pm »
We can win the league but we can also finish out the top 4. It's a freakish season with no normality to it at all and injuries/covid have already battered us and we're going to be down to the bear bones defensively where we were already struggling. Getting through the CL with Ajax and Atalanta is a huge task now as well given the injuries. Lose on Wednesday and it goes down to the wire again like the last two seasons which has a knock on effect with the crazy run of fixtures

Priority is making sure we're back in the CL next year, given the huge hit we've already took financially. Everything seems to be against us this year.

Anything more than 4th place and round of 16 CL is a bonus at this point, but we need to achieve that at least.

do you even watch this team?????

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2020, 04:59:39 pm »
Fucking hell
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2020, 05:00:05 pm »
Mixed feelings depending on the day.

Hopefully this galvanises the team to pull together but Ljinders and Klopp have got their work cut out to perhaps tweak the system a bit. The high line might be abandoned now anyway which even VVD was being exposed to.

We're still being caught down Trent's side of the pitch and it needs addressing but defensively I've never seen a start to the prem with teams leaking goals so we're not alone in having problems.

Thiago and Henderson are seemingly undroppable and paramount to success this season so let's see what magic Klopp can weave.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2020, 05:04:25 pm »

I’m gonna go with no

Anyone who carries on watching football is an absolute mug. Disgrace of a sport now.

Don't even care what happens this season as long as these don't win the league. But it seems like it's a fix at the moment the decisions they're getting.

I've never known a team get so many decisions.

The officials are fixing it this season for them to win the league.

I honestly hope City win every week because we're being cheated.

My last game. Don't feed the beast.

You're having a laugh if you think they'll let us win the league this season. Var is being used to manipulate results. Like making sure United got top 4.

Just hope City or anyone win it instead of them.

He hopes Man City win all their games....

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2020, 05:11:23 pm »
That negativity is a little over the top.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2020, 06:01:30 pm »
If it wasn't Fromola, I think his point would be met with better consideration. The point is a fair one; this season adds an additional severe layer of variance on a sport already heavy with it. In the November break half our team could come back with Covid. Similarly the same could happen to Man City. Our team is still the best in the league, but there are clearly factors beyond our control this season and its really hard to rule out us dropping out of the top 4 due to sheer bad luck
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: October 19, 2020, 06:49:18 pm »
Its not that hard. We are still a top class team

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: October 19, 2020, 06:55:55 pm »
Its not that hard. We are still a top class team

Klopp's Dortmund ended up out the top 4 in his last season due to a freakish season of bad luck and injuries etc. We've just lost 7-2 to a team that should have just been relegated ffs. This is not a normal season.

We can win the league, but anything can happen this year. Ensuring the CL cheque for next season is the first priority now.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: October 19, 2020, 07:00:29 pm »
Klopp's Dortmund ended up out the top 4 in his last season due to a freakish season of bad luck and injuries etc. We've just lost 7-2 to a team that should have just been relegated ffs. This is not a normal season.

We can win the league, but anything can happen this year. Ensuring the CL cheque for next season is the first priority now.

How do we prioritise CL qualification?

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: October 19, 2020, 07:21:23 pm »
The major challenge is the exposure we now have to mid table cloggers like Dave McGoldrick and Shane Long. The mere sight of Van Dijk was enough to put these players off, and they’d often overthink their next move as they were so shit scared of running at him/challenging in the air. Their heads will now be up and they will fancy having a go.

That said, Bayern Munich have dominated the Bundesliga and won a CL through major injuries to Neuer and a makeshift pairing of Boateng/Alaba. Man City pissed the league with Otamendi and Stones. A fit Allison and a consistent run from Gomez/Matip is still a solid defensive foundation. The league is still very much there for the taking.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #255 on: October 19, 2020, 07:32:18 pm »
Obviously the absence of Virgil makes us weaker and we probably won't get the same numbers.  The public opinion is that this will open up the title race.  But the glee with which some of these fuckers are stating this with is starting to get on my tits.  They're reveling in his absence. 
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #256 on: October 19, 2020, 08:00:13 pm »
Its not that hard. We are still a top four class team at best
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #257 on: October 19, 2020, 08:10:55 pm »
Obviously the absence of Virgil makes us weaker and we probably won't get the same numbers.  The public opinion is that this will open up the title race.  But the glee with which some of these fuckers are stating this with is starting to get on my tits.  They're reveling in his absence. 

Let them.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #258 on: October 19, 2020, 08:22:20 pm »
Some of the toughest games are already out of the way, in fact we still haven't played any weaker teams yet.

I’d put Aston Villa to the back of my mind too

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: October 19, 2020, 08:34:10 pm »
I’d put Aston Villa to the back of my mind too

Leeds are shite aswell.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #260 on: October 19, 2020, 10:41:46 pm »
The negativity in this thread is mental.

We have:

The best GK in the league.
The best right back in the league.
The best left back in the league.
Two (three with Fab) of the best CBs in the league)
The best collection of midfielders in the league.
Three of the best forwards in the league.

And don't forget, the best coach in the league.

Are we out of it? Are we fuck.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #261 on: October 19, 2020, 10:44:57 pm »
The negativity in this thread is mental.

Hadn’t been in this thread yet. I was saving it as it looked like it was the positive spin thread

Literally the first words I read

Cheers for the heads up 😂
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #262 on: October 19, 2020, 10:54:28 pm »
This isn’t 2000-2006 where losing Steven Gerrard for a lengthy period of time would have essentially ruled us out of the big picture. We now have an excellent squad, as has been alluded to above, and despite the initial frustrations around the situation, have a look around the league and tell me who gets anywhere near us when our best team minus VVD is playing. Defences across the league are generally shambolic and even without Virge, our back four is still comfortably better than the other teams in the traditional top 6.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: October 19, 2020, 11:03:35 pm »

Klopp's Dortmund in his last season aren't fit to lace our boots. They had several injuries through out their side and they underperformed in terms of finishing their chances. So there are multiple of things that need to happen for us to end up that way.

Of course since birth you've been a negative sod, you go to the extreme at every single moment. even when we had no issues, you found something to be negative about.

I have no idea how you function in life, but it's a miracle.

Offline Red Giant

• da red giant asshole
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #264 on: October 20, 2020, 01:11:58 am »
 Feeling really optimistic for our chances to retain the title. The Van Dijk absence gives us a chance to galvanize our whole defense and Klopp will make the necessary tweaks to our playing style. Matip-Gomez-Fabinho are nice options to have and I would not be surprised at all if Hendo and even Gini make the odd appearance as cb.
 January may or may not bring new blood at cb as we all know how we operate, we get one of our targets or continue with what we have. Pretty sure we wont bring someone just for the sake of it. I see no reason why we cant reach 85-90 points in what seems an interesting and strange season for many factors.
 I just have a gut feeling that we will find strength in the face of adversity and many who are writing us off will eat their words.
 Mentality Monsters will deliver again, no doubt! Lets gooo Reds :scarf

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #265 on: October 20, 2020, 01:24:57 am »
Yep, Everton need to realise that they have awoken the revenge-seeking beast.

8)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #266 on: October 20, 2020, 05:41:57 am »

The mind boggles doesn't it. Fuck me.

Jurgen has failed to turn doubters into believers.

Well, the knicker-wetting doubters, anyway.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #267 on: October 20, 2020, 07:47:50 am »

We have one serious injury, that is far from "freakish". If you want to discuss what's normal, it's probably more normal to have one serious injury, than none. Last season was freakish in a positive way.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #268 on: October 20, 2020, 09:11:42 am »
They are not the 'dogs of war', they are the 'dogs of yard'.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #269 on: October 20, 2020, 09:27:15 am »
The title remains a two horse race between us and City

If people want to give City the edge now that’s understandable but there isn’t another team that can finish above City other than us

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: October 21, 2020, 06:04:53 pm »
The mind boggles doesn't it. Fuck me.

Jurgen has failed to turn doubters into believers.

Well, the knicker-wetting doubters, anyway.

Yeah it's like people were understandably onboard after winning the CL and the league in how it was won so decisively - now it seems like Klopp has to win all those people over again, after one of our players gets injured

"Obviously should have signed another cb this summer, hardly spent anything..."
"Klopp is too loyal to his players, the whole thing fell apart at Dortmund for this reason..."
"Midfield is getting old, need to start replacing them"

all some Liverpool fans can see is the negative stuff, almost waiting for the team to fail, I don't understand it - was it like this in the 80s as well??

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 21, 2020, 06:13:35 pm »
Yeah it's like people were understandably onboard after winning the CL and the league in how it was won so decisively - now it seems like Klopp has to win all those people over again, after one of our players gets injured

"Obviously should have signed another cb this summer, hardly spent anything..."
"Klopp is too loyal to his players, the whole thing fell apart at Dortmund for this reason..."
"Midfield is getting old, need to start replacing them"

all some Liverpool fans can see is the negative stuff, almost waiting for the team to fail, I don't understand it - was it like this in the 80s as well??

The 80s didn't have social media so people could only moan to their mates. There was always the Football Echo's letters page so the likes of Len Griffiths could have his weekly moan. The problem is today that anyone can publish their moans for all the world to see and have other moaners agree giving them some sort of status. The guy in say Hampshire who has never, and never will, go to a match has about as much influence as the season ticket holder from Walton who has been going for years.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #272 on: October 25, 2020, 01:11:13 am »
Mad win vs Leeds
Solid win vs Chelsea
Impressive win vs Arsenal
Absolute clusterfuck of a brain fart vs Aston Villa
Last minute winner vs Everton (fuck VAR!)
Solid win vs Sheffield United

In a season when everyone is slipping up and upsets are happening all over the shop, that's a solid and effective start from us, especially considering the world's best defender was missing for two of those matches, the world's best goalie missing for two and the world's best midfielder missing for four of them.

Currently 5 points in front of City having played 1 game more. Would be good to go to the Etihad with a bigger gap than 2 points, as City have looked average at best this season and are deserved a twatting by us.

On to West Ham at home!
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 25, 2020, 01:32:12 am »
People asking whether we can win the league, my question is who can stop us? Clubs like Leeds, Villa and Everton will show the usual inconsistency pretty soon, and if not then the schedule in December will stretch them hard. The usual top six all look a mess, only Arsenal really showing any consistency right now but even then they're scraping wins. Chelsea spent a ton on attacking talent so you'd expect them to be flat track bullies but they don't even seem capable of that with FF in charge.

Yes we have injuries but all clubs do, I'd still take our group of defender of any other in the league and we're finally at a point where we can cover most injury issues. If the loss of VVD does hit us hard we'll find a solution.

Offline muszka

• Anny Roader
« Reply #274 on: October 25, 2020, 08:50:53 am »
Alisson is back and with him my hopes. Yes we will lose an occasional game without VVD but the league is very open this year and the winner will need only mid 80s to win so we can afford a few bad games.

City have won only 2 out of 5 and the problem with them is they're not scoring for fun anymore and we all know that if they're not 2-3 goals up after 30 minutes there's always a chance for them to drop points.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2020, 08:55:33 am »
People asking whether we can win the league, my question is who can stop us? Clubs like Leeds, Villa and Everton will show the usual inconsistency pretty soon, and if not then the schedule in December will stretch them hard. The usual top six all look a mess, only Arsenal really showing any consistency right now but even then they're scraping wins. Chelsea spent a ton on attacking talent so you'd expect them to be flat track bullies but they don't even seem capable of that with FF in charge.

Yes we have injuries but all clubs do, I'd still take our group of defender of any other in the league and we're finally at a point where we can cover most injury issues. If the loss of VVD does hit us hard we'll find a solution.

The officials. And they can manipulate results.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #276 on: October 25, 2020, 04:48:00 pm »
Clearly, we don't have to be better than last year to win. We're not gonna need 100 points

Offline muszka

• Anny Roader
« Reply #277 on: October 25, 2020, 05:10:10 pm »
Clearly, we don't have to be better than last year to win. We're not gonna need 100 points

With the very compact schedule and mounting injuries I predict 85/86 points will be enough to win the league.

We will drop points in games compared to last season because of the lack of VVD but hopefully not that many thanks to our new top players in Jota and Thiago.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: October 25, 2020, 05:30:13 pm »
With the very compact schedule and mounting injuries I predict 85/86 points will be enough to win the league.

We will drop points in games compared to last season because of the lack of VVD but hopefully not that many thanks to our new top players in Jota and Thiago.

Yeah, on the one hand it's liberating that you don't have to win every fucking game like recent seasons. Although we could have afforded slip ups last season had we done so it might have picked City up, it was the fact we kept winning that helped to deflate them. We were nearly perfect in 18/19 and still didn't win it, which will probably never happen again.

It's going to be more of a retro-league table where it's tight all season and unfortunately things like VAR calls will make a big difference. It's one thing if it balances out.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2020, 05:30:22 pm »
Showed great grit yesterday; the players seem to know that we’re getting fucked by The PL / The FA this season and are just rolling with it.

Keep winning now Redmen.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.