Author Topic: Robbie Keane: Did he get a fair chance at Liverpool?  (Read 20724 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: Robbie Keane: Did he get a fair chance at Liverpool?
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2012, 05:45:14 am »
I haven`t heard a single reason why we sold our 20 million pound striker in the middle of the season, when we were also chasing the title. Liverpool simply do not operate on such an amateurish level.

I also couldn`t give a shite what majority RAWK opinion is on anything. My generation have our own opinions, and we certainly don`t give a toss what `majority opinion` on the interweb tells us.

(Not sure why I'm bothering, I blame my insomnia)

You "haven't heard a single reason...."? Really I mean you're being serious there? There's 3 pages of reasons posted thus far! How many do you want exactly?

Also his fee was 19 million NOT 20 as you continuously state, he was sold back for 15 meaning a net loss of just 4 million.
If Rafa "lost the plot" as you so dramatically stated above by spending so much money on a striker who wasn't performing I dread to imagine how you feel about King Kenny.

If you don't give a shite about other people's opinions why did you start the thread?

That's what I've been trying to ascertain but it's like having a conversation with a 5 year old.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2012, 05:45:27 am »
The Mancs had a typ[ical bad start and  had to fuck off to the world club championships with games in hand before their season kicked in

Because we weren't good enough.

And neither was Keane. I was disappointed when we signed him.
I think he was sold because although we had lost 4 million, waiting until the summer, we may never have got a good price on him. I remember thinking if we sell him in the summer, we'll get 10 million due to him having a piss poor season.
And Benitez didn't want him (didn't Parry sign him or something?).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:48:39 am by alfonso »
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2012, 05:52:52 am »

You "haven't heard a single reason...."? Really I mean you're being serious there? There's 3 pages of reasons posted thus far! How many do you want exactly?

Also his fee was 19 million NOT 20 as you continuously state, he was sold back for 15 meaning a net loss of just 4 million.
If Rafa "lost the plot" as you so dramatically stated above by spending so much money on a striker who wasn't performing I dread to imagine how you feel about King Kenny.

If you look at his post history, you'll find him saying that Benitez obviously can't be trusted with money. That's the man who built most of the base which is the current team's strong point, for a net cost of around 30 million. With players like Kuyt, Aquilani and others who will probably further bring down that net cost. If we assume 10 million combined for Kuyt and Aquilani, which isn't wildly optimistic, that leaves Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel and Lucas for a combined net cost of 20 million. And I can't remember if I've factored in Ngog's fee of 4 million, while I've assumed Insua to have gone for free.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2012, 05:55:23 am »
Crouch was putting in good performances,week in,week out.Keane wasnt!!.

Fuck stats n goals.Crouch was actually playing fucking well FFS

I don't think Keane was playing badly to be honest, he was missing sitters but at least he was in the right positions. Also he was part of some really good team performances, like Chelsea away where we won 1-0. And not to mention his cracking half volley against Arsenal.

Not every player can have the right attitude all the time. If we're using that logic then Man City wouldn't even have a squad.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2012, 06:02:48 am »
A fair chance?

Has anyone mentioned that he missed a fair few chances yet?

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2012, 06:05:35 am »
More relevantly, Keane scored 7 from 28 games at Liverpool, most of which he started. Ngog scored 19 from 94, 2/3 of which which he'd started in at most, and probably closer to half. If you have 2 strikers with similar records (if we take the worst estimate of Ngog's stats), but one of them costs 10 times as much and for 4 times the wages and with a shit attitude to boot, why does the big name striker get a thread like this?

Good grief, thank God N`gog isn`t  Irish or you would be picking him for the Euros ahead of Keane.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2012, 06:11:27 am »
A fair chance?

Has anyone mentioned that he missed a fair few chances yet?

Ouch....
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2012, 06:13:56 am »

That's what I've been trying to ascertain but it's like having a conversation with a 5 year old.

You think we got back 15million from 19million spent?

Are you tacking the piss?

Actually, forget it, i know the answer already.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2012, 06:27:42 am »
I think we would have won the league in 2009, if we had stuck with Keane until the end of the season.

I think we'd have won the league if we'd sold Keane to Man United.

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2012, 06:34:12 am »

So true

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2012, 06:36:20 am »
.. he was sold back for 15 meaning a net loss of just 4 million.

The highest figure I saw at the time was £12m. But if we got £10m and a a large chorizo it was still a decent price for a player that we seriously overpaid for in the first place

Offline love:the:game

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • If found please return to nearest Blackjack Table
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2012, 06:44:13 am »

I'm leaving this thread because nothing I or anyone else can say can top that.

I'll leave the door open, the rest of you should think about heading out as well...

[I'm gonna keep this as my signature for a while]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:46:12 am by love:the:game »

Offline toshi

• Kopite
  • Respect
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2012, 06:57:13 am »
No....and i blame Rafa for it ;)

*hopeitsettledit
CJ        : "Morton, this is President Bartlett"
Bartlett : "Hey Morton"
Morton (stunned) : "WOW"
Bartlett  : "Well Said"

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2012, 07:17:56 am »
Shite in general play
Ruined countless moves with horrendous finishing
Moany, lazy twat
Roly-poly celebration
Fast declining resale value
Didn't fit in with Torres, who was infinitely better and more important than Keane could ever be
General air of a player who'd never succeed here regardless of time afforded

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2012, 07:28:20 am »
This is what staggered me at the time. We were top of the league without Torres and Gerrard. Keane was a starter and had a considerable influence on that team with his movement and energy on the pitch.

What happened?

His 'movement' was the main reason we let him go. Did you actually watch any games he played for us? He was often occupying the space Torres was moving into and fucking up his chances or being in the wrong place when chances came, or worst, not being ready to take chances and fluffing them. 

My abiding memories of Keane are 'that' Arsenal goal of course, but mostly him colliding with Torres, fluffing chances and sitting on his arse with his hands in the air. All capped off with his shitty attitude when he was (quite rightly) subbed and the media circus that went with it.

He's a big fish/little pool player and I'm sure he'll do okay in a mid-table, low aspiration club like Villa. Never mind us letting him go, why isn't he still at Spurs? Or Celtic. Or West Ham?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2012, 07:34:11 am »
;D  Excellent

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2012, 07:45:39 am »
Stroppy little shit whose main contribution was to give me an inflated sense of my own prophetic ability because I said it was a mistake when we bought him.p, and it's one of the rare times I've been right.

He also gave us the fun concept of Keane-time which meant you knew when it was 65 minutes into the game by him getting the hook, after once again frustrating the life out of everyone by being utter wank and fucking up every move, while blaming everyone else with extravagant wavy hands and a pouty face.
A bad bad fit.
And he was shite back at Spurs, and West Ham. He's having his swansong at Villa and no problem there, but he was a bad fit for us.

We were better after he and the circus left.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:47:27 am by BobbyDavro »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2012, 07:46:12 am »
I haven`t heard a single reason why we sold our 20 million pound striker in the middle of the season, when we were also chasing the title. Liverpool simply do not operate on such an amateurish level.

I also couldn`t give a shite what majority RAWK opinion is on anything. My generation have our own opinions, and we certainly don`t give a toss what `majority opinion` on the interweb tells us.

It's not what the majority think, but what intelligent people who have a fucking clue think that matters. And don't claim it as a generational thing. I've met plenty of young lads who are intelligent and understand the game. Unless you mean a Sky-generation thing, with opinions based on the clueless witteriings from the Sunday Supplement sofa.

If you think RAWK is about the 'right' to hold contrary opinions just because you're a young free-thinker then feel free to fuck off to another site. As the saying goes: opinions are like arseholes - eveyone's got one (and some are a bit shitty). Holding an opinion based on no evidence in the face of coherent arguments, facts and intelligent observation just makes you a clueless wind-up-merchant.

Just my opinion of course...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2012, 07:46:51 am »
2008/09 Season

With Keane: 48 points from 69 available

Without:  38 points from 45 available

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2012, 07:47:51 am »
4 pages?...really?
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2012, 07:49:04 am »
My abiding memories of Keane are 'that' Arsenal goal of course...

Maybe we should leave it at that for remembering Keane's LFC career. That one golden moment for (one of) his boyhood team(s), against the team who disliked him more than any other.

Robbie, we're sorry the rest of it didn't work out, but you'll have that memory to treasure for ever.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2012, 07:49:49 am »
It wasn't just his wasteful finishing or his generally terrible play, but he was also a moaning test.  He constantly screamed at his team mates and moaned and I reckon he created a bad atmosphere in the dressing room.  After he lefty the team found another level and I don't think that would have happened had he been here.

The biggest contributions to nearly getting the title were Xabi playing his heart out to prove a point, Kuyt somehow having the best form of his life and Benayoun being given a fair run in the side.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2012, 07:52:06 am »
It wasn't just his wasteful finishing or his generally terrible play, but he was also a moaning test.  He constantly screamed at his team mates and moaned and I reckon he created a bad atmosphere in the dressing room.  After he lefty the team found another level and I don't think that would have happened had he been here.

The biggest contributions to nearly getting the title were Xabi playing his heart out to prove a point, Kuyt somehow having the best form of his life and Benayoun being given a fair run in the side.

Exactly.

We're done here.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)