Author Topic: FAO: US Reds----tv info  (Read 818732 times)

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: FAO: US Reds----tv info
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2006, 03:09:58 pm »
If you have free to air satellites Setanta is also available there.  I am trying to get a card that will open the channel so I can watch.

If I can't get a card then I will have to go the old sneaky route and try to unlock the channel by other means.

As Malcom X once said, "Any means necessary"

Offline Boston_Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2006, 03:58:35 pm »

I should have the box here next week so I’ll miss the opening game – I may have to head off to Boston and meet a few of the boys for an early start in the pub…

It's about time you head out of the sticks and into the city!

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2006, 04:01:25 pm »
I’ve ordered ITVN. I also checked with the company and it should work just fine over a wireless network using the same sort of adapter as you’d use for a wireless PS2 connection instead of a direct Ethernet connection.

However just in case I have moved a couple of armchairs into the basement next to my router and will set it up there if I can’t get the wireless to work.

The only channel I have ordered is Setanta - $14.95 a month and the hardware if free on a 30 day return if not happy.

I can’t install a satellite as there are too many trees in the way and unless I start downing next doors trees then it’s a no go. However if this works then the cost of this plus the cable I have would still work out cheaper than swopping to directv.

I should have the box here next week so I’ll miss the opening game – I may have to head off to Boston and meet a few of the boys for an early start in the pub…

NH_E, would you mind keeping us up to date on how this works out for you?  I see that the deal went through (and Loman, apologies again if I sound overly obnoxious when you initially posted about ITVN) - I still do think there are legal issues here that Setanta is trying to skirt around but I'm sure they figure why not pocket the $15 a month up until the Premier League, UEFA and whoever else's broadband rights they're stepping on take action.  Perhaps I'm too cynical and the fellas in San Francisco have actually negotiated all the relevant deals with the leagues involved, but I'm skeptical. 

Anyway, NH_E - any updates appreciated:  how well the service works, your satisfaction with it, etc. once you're up and running next week.  I know a ton of people who'd sign up immediately if it's genuine quality.  Thanks in advance!  :wave 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 04:06:01 pm by ConnieLFC »

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2006, 07:59:34 pm »
Someone over at ynwa has just got it up and running and was watching the Wolves game – they hardwired the connection and said they had buffering even at low res – however they also have several other devices running on the connection including Voip. Plus they were sending the signal to a 65 inch tv!!! I’m hoping that it’ll work better on a smaller tv!

Offline Tentacles.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2006, 08:17:03 pm »
Anyone in SF going to watch the game?
'The Queen comes to Liverpool sometimes and if you sign for us you can meet her!'

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2006, 11:22:13 pm »
NHE..keep us posted how it works for you..

I'm all set..:P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2006, 03:36:51 am »
Got to say I'm not too thrilled with some of the DirecTV receiver stuff vs the Dish stuff; maybe just familiarlity but why can't I just set a time to tune to a channel vs automatically start taping it?  Just from one week's service, I feel like the technology (and/or services available) was better through Dish.  However, at the end of the day, it is what it is what it is...and not to sound like an ass, but I will be grateful to be able to roll out of the bed and watch the game vs having to spend an hour getting into the city the few times I don't want to come in.

But as I am interested in setting up all my LFCNY mates with a way to watch the game, if this ITVN thing is a genuinely viable alternative, I want to know.  It will not affect my choice (especially as my router has to be in my basement) but for all the many folks in apts and/or with wireless broadband connections throughout the NYC area, it's a very, very big deal.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 03:38:32 am by ConnieLFC »

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2006, 04:09:10 am »
from lfcny on ynwa.tv

"Resolved my issues with the ITVN box - just need to do Port Triggering in your router (for those of you with Wireless routers, DSL etc) - and enter RTSPT with port 554 for the port trigger port forward thresholds. Consistent bandwith of around 1000 kbps coming into the IPTV box now - rather than the 200-400 I was getting...

Get to keep Dish - and watch Setanta Sports for an extra 14.95 a month across t'internet..... sweet!!! Picture is better than I expected, even on a monster telly....

I'll report back after the game if I notice any problems - but for now, those with cable or Dish wanting Setanta Sports - its a great option!....
"

It mean nothing to me but it appears that there is a way to get the feed consistant via itvn.... we may need to get more info about this.....

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2006, 12:29:39 pm »
Connie..I have the same problem with preferring the set channel Dish remote.

On the other hand..with Directv plus..I can record one channel and watch another. I even noticed when I hit record on a channel midstream of the program, it recorded the whole program back to the beginning.

Does take some familiarity to get used to.

Even though the installer "setup" my service and remote, etc...I went back and made some changes on my own. For instance I have a widescreen tv. The factory setting is 4:3. So through the setup menu I changed it to widescreen 16:9.

Also rather than use the coaxial cable ( the one from the wall to your box, then from your box to your tv) as the source ..I bought the Monster brand Video 3 S-video plug last night and hooked up the box to tv that way. MUCH better picture quality. I already had some spare Monster audio cables but you'll need them as well. They are sold as a set if your interested.

Then I routed the directv video coaxial cable to my DVD recorder with monster Video 3 F-plug to improve picture quality for recordings. ( you can use the F-plug to go from directv box to your tv to improve quality as well. But the S-video is better yet.)

Further, using the remote, in the set up menu..I changed the Audio feature to surround sound so as to get the full effects through my stereo system. If you do route your tv to your stereo, you'll need to do this to get surround sound when a tv program ( movie whatever) is broadcast that way. The installer never did this. Factory setting is off.

So it's good to look through the manual and decide what you need.

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2006, 03:37:49 pm »
I opted for the DVR as well, 4pool - as you say, definitely nice to be able to watch (or record) one program while recording a different one.  Watching the Barcodes/Wigan match as I type while recording Arsenal.   Not a big deal to not have the ability to just "autotune" to a channel, but it'd be nice (and save wear and tear on the hard drive - as I assume the DirecTV DVR operates the same way my Dish DVR did, if the HD dies, your programming receiving capability dies right along with it).  Anyway, good morning so far with the new system (not so good re: the match itself!). 

Oh, and may I just add that Setanta's coverage is crap??  No halftime/fulltime highlights and so eager to cut away from the game to get their flippin' ads in for Aussie Rules Football or some other nonsense.  I'm aware they don't have a studio setup like FSC does so they're somewhat limited, but the Premier League broadcast itself does them (think half/fulltime during the PPV games) - why the hell not show theirs???

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2006, 03:46:56 pm »
I was interested to see what they did halftime and post match. FSC wasn't exactly great with their 20 seconds worth of match highlights and 14 minutes of commercials.

Although to be fair it was interesting to receive the "around the ground" reports before the other matches kicked off.

I was hoping Setanta would have the interviews with the managers like they do for Championship matches. Obviously they didn't but that may be due to premiership rules rather than Setanta skimping us..

I'm watching the Arsenal v Villa match and recording the Newcastle v Wigan one.. Want to see how Villa and O'Niel get on as it looks like i'm going to Anfield for the Villa match..

Offline lfcny

• Boys Pen
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2006, 07:01:22 pm »
The announcement that FSC had sold the more attractive components of their premiership coverage to Setanta was a real disappointment to me ~ the news that the PPV package was also gone was even more of a blow. Although a member of the New York Supporters club, I live a good hundred miles north of the city, and rarely get down to watch games - so watching the games at home is often my only option. The attractiveness of the Dish package, my godsend in the 5 years I have lived outside of NYC, was certainly tarnished.

Looking at the agreement more closely, it was clear as day that the majority of the Liverpool games would now be on Setanta. Setanta would get the Saturday morning games - where we had regularly featured over the last few seasons - as well as the first pick of the saturday and sunday 3pm games. There didn't seem to be many options available - I wasn't going to go to DirectTV just to get Setanta - the cost and hassle of installing a new satellite dish just wasn't acceptable ~ especially since I'd have to buy a Sports package on top of that in order to get the Setanta channel. My thoughts on Setanta sports were also fairly ambivalent. Years of forking over cash to get to see live games in various pubs in New York, including the 11th street pub, have given me a poor opinion of their whole business model. It looked like a pretty gloomy situation.

The Tuesday before the first Saturday of the season, I checked the US TV coverage thread on the YNWA forum where IPTV (a dedicated streaming video service offered by a company called ITVN) was mentioned. There weren't any flashy announcements - all the info on the service appeared to come from a US based League blog. I had a look at the ITVN website - which seemed pretty sparse, but by the evening, after seeing that they could ship out the ITVN box before the opening game of the season, I had decided to take the plunge.

By Wednesday afternoon I was starting to regret my decision, I hadn't seen an email confirmation of my purchase with a tracking number and the more and more I was reading up on the Setanta site, the more nervous about the purchase I was becoming - especially as some confusion was drifting into my mind on whether the package carried the Setanta Broadband package, which didn't have the Premiership rights, or the Setanta Sports package, which did. Listening to the Interviews with the Setanta and ITVN Veeps on the EPLTalk site calmed me down on the identification of the supported channel. It did seem that Setanta Sports was being streamed. On the delivery issue, now only 3 days before the Sheffield United game I was a little more nervous. I was soon calling their customer support line to enquire about the delivery - Their customer support people were friendly and helpful and there was little or no wait to speak to their Tier 1 support staff - who are definitely casual and Californian rather than the terse script monkeys that I'm more used to dealing with these days when calling a customer support number. They quickly found my tracking number and asked me who my ISP was, pointing out that it was highly likely that the email might be in my spam folder. And there it was! Checking on the FedEx tracker, I could see that the box was due to be delivered by Friday at 4.30pm.

First thing on Friday morning, it arrived. The package was surprisingly light - weighing in at less than 3 pounds. Inside the package was the main set top control box, an Ethernet cable, a remote (with a rather amusing big red Panic button?) with two AAA batteries, a power adapter and a 6' Composite Video cable. The Composite Video cable was a surprise - particularly as the ITVN web site clearly indicated that of the three supported methods of interfacing with the box (Composite Cable, S-Video or Component) it was identified as the poorest quality option, as far as picture quality is concerned. The User Manual was a slim 13 pages - the only page with images being the last one, showing the remote and a guide to the back of the Set Top Box. After quickly flicking through the User Guide and looking at the components, I very quickly decided that the Ethernet cable had to be changed. I'd moved my web router up to the attic (our TV room) but it was still a good 12-15 ft away from the television - Placing the set-top-box to the left of the TV (a huge 65" HD monster - surrounded by DVD cabinets and the surround sound system, I'd need a 25' Ethernet cable or a wireless game adapter (a solution another member of the YNWA forum, NHE, was looking at).

Taking advantage of my lunch-time, I drove out to Best Buy and picked up the cable. As soon as my meetings were over for the day, I was setting up the box at home. Installation couldn't be simpler - plug your modem or router into the set top box and plug the composite cable into the back of the telly. When you switch the box on you are treated with three options:

Launch ITVN
Network Settings
Update ITVN

The system prompts you to select 'Update ITVN' as soon as it loads which when selected goes and downloads a software update. It takes a couple of minutes to do that - and loads in the background - with an update bar slowly updating on the bottom of the screen. As soon as it finishes, the system reloads again and presents the same three options. Network settings just presents a single screen where you can choose a static IP and DNS - for the vast majority of users, the dynamic IP defaults should be sufficient. I didn't have to change mine at all.

Clicking on the Launch ITVN link takes you to the category/channel selection screen, which is a pretty sparse affair - buttons are on the screen for products that haven't launched yet, and the whole thing has a distinctly 'Coming soon' feel about it, with Setanta only having a Lacrosse Channel, an Adult channel and an Indie Film channel (pay per view for some reason) for company. There is a channel which comes with the package (MavTv channel) which looks like a infomercial dominated version of Spike TV. So, not much to attract the non-footy viewer. You won't be trading in your Dish or Cable account for ITVNs program lineup offering very soon.

I clicked through the options and selected the Setanta Sports channel. The selection was delayed for a second while the channel was buffered, and then I was taken into a Championship game - Wolves I think -  first thing that surprised me was the quality of the picture - after spending a couple of years watching the horrible live coverage on the LFC eSeason package, I was pleasantly surprised. The picture is more pixilated that watching a comparable channel on Satellite, but the color quality and depth was really good, as was the audio. My second surprise was less pleasant - after about 6 secs of video, the image started to buffer again.  6 seconds after that the same thing - and on and on until I got a cannot connect to channel error a couple of minutes later. Not a good start, especially as I had upgraded to the 3000/768 DSL package with Verizon on the Wednesday morning - so I knew that I should have more than enough bandwidth. Looking at the manual didn't really offer any suggestions, apart from advising you if you have a firewall, to ensure that it allows for RTSPT streaming on port 554, whatever that means. So, I had to log into my Linksys Router to try a few things.

The first thing I was to forward the 554 port to the IP that the ITVN box was using. I went to the Applications and Gaming section of my Router console and tried some of the stuff I usually have to do for other applications. First, I went to the Port Range Forward section of the router software and forwarded the 554 port (TCP) to the dynamic IP that the ITVN box was using. I also tried a QoS on the MAC of the box (the ID of the hardware comes on a sticker on the packaging) and prioritizing the ethernet port on the Router that the box was connected to. Still no luck. The Support website provided little additional assistance - mostly repeating stuff in the User manual - the clearest information tends to be focused on setup rather than troubleshooting - some parts of the single page support info guide on the web only having bullet-points for sections, with no info associated with them. - which seems a little amateurish. Again, not comforting - giving you as a consumer the feel that you are dealing with a pretty thread-bare internet start-up. In desperation, after trying everything, including switching off VoIP devices and some of the other computers on my network, I gave ITVN another call. Again they were friendly, and the support rep escalated the issue and asked to call me back. Less than an hour later, as I continued to watch jerkyvision ruing my lack of research in purchasing a product that wasn't ready for prime time, their customer support called back and very quickly pointed me in the direction of the port triggering section of my Linksys router software. Adding port 554 as the forwarded/triggered port solved the issue. With the display button on the remote pressed, I could see the bandwidth by second number reaching the point where it started exceeding the video bits per second rate. Problem Solved.

So, for the rest of most of the early evening, I got to play with the product and started feeling much better about my purchase. The pretty generic remote comes with up and down buttons which controls the clarity of the image (and the bandwidth streamed to the box). The website references the fact that the image comes in at 300, 500 or 700 kbps, but by playing around with the Display button again to monitor performance for a period of an hour or so, I reckon that 500, 650 and 1000 are closer to the three levels, although the video numbers tend to bounce around. As a result, I wouldn't recommend the product if you have a DSL service offering less that a 1500kbps download, given that you'll only get a portion of that 'potential' bandwidth - you'll find the high bandwidth/clarity option pretty difficult to watch, and see plenty of buffering. To be honest, I didn't see a huge difference between each of the frame rate offerings, the image was watchable whatever the resolution, even on a 65" screen, if not the quality of a Satellite picture for the most part, although the warping of a players outline against the green field due to the image compression technology was a Little less noticeable on the higher bandwidth displays.

I left the device on for the evening before going out with my wife, in order to check whether I would see any more excessive buffering / can't find server errors on my return. NZ Rugby was on by the time I returned - no problems by the look of it. Watched the Rugby and the Aussie Rules stuff that followed it, playing with each resolution. I was seeing buffering every 10 or so minutes (for a second or 2) on the highest resolution, but the two lower resolutions didn't see any issues at all.

Saturday morning came around, and my optimism about the quality of the package was challenged a bit by a little bit of buffering two minutes into the game. After that, the presentation was slick, fast and fluid, certainly better than the action on the pitch, with the picture quality varying a little bit over the course of the game, but being a world away from the questionable 'quality' I've had to deal with watching this sort of stuff on the web in the past (legal or otherwise).  Overall, I'm really happy with the package - it costs 14.95 a month and the hardware comes free - its about half the cost of my PPV package last year and looking through the fixture list already published, I reckon I'll see at least double the games, especially when the Champions League coverage is factored in. ESPN may have the pick of the games, but with their Mancs/Real Madrid fetish, I can see a lot of our games being shown on Setanta.

Recommendation: Got Cable? Can't/Won't get DirecTV? Then its a must buy. You'll probably feel like EchoStar customers back in the late 80s - being a pioneer with a new type of technology (and probably having a customer number in the 000s rather than the millions.) which is exciting or nerve-wracking depending on your disposition. But it is a good product, ready for prime time and a godsend for reds fans.

+ves: Real easy to set up. Decent picture even on the biggest of tellys. Excellent and friendly Customer Support team. Cheap and with plenty room for expansion as the technology matures. Can't see a reason ever to hit that big red panic button on the remote. ;) 

-ves: Written (paper and web) support leaves a lot to desire. Picture not quite the quality of Satellite/Cable, but close. Firmware needs updating - Sometimes see 'cannot connect' errors when adjusting the quality of the display - only takes a second to get back in though. Without the footy, the breadth of programming on the network is slim indeed. That 554 port setting will confuse the technophobes amongst you who have been brave enough to set up a home network, but their tech support will set you straight quickly. Finally, keep in mind, the more bandwidth you use, that less is available to the rest of your network connection - that might piss off the missus when you are watching the match and she is downstairs on the laptop in a heated last minute eBay bidding war for some god-awful outdoor furniture ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 08:41:02 pm by lfcny »

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2006, 07:21:43 pm »
What we'll do just to get our Mighty Reds footy fix..:D

Offline quasimodo

• Kopite
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2006, 12:11:57 pm »
lfcny -

thanks for the effort in your report. Please keep us posted over the next couple of weeks as to how the service holds up.

Thanks!

Offline kopkev

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2006, 06:44:45 am »
just heard that setantasports is now available in canada for $14.95 per month with an ITVN box free when you sign up for a 12 month subscription, hope this is not the setanta broadband channel because they dont have rights to air premiership games.
am thinking of ordering it as we no longer get the first game on sunday morning, just need someone to confirm it is setantasportsusa and not setanta broadband that i am subscribing to?

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2006, 12:31:38 pm »
Read lfcny's post above.....

Offline BrooklynRed05

• Main Stander
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2006, 05:16:40 pm »
lfcny...one question.  May seem silly to ask, but is the signal from the ITVN box coded or encrypted in anyway to prohibit recording through a DVD Recorder?

"It all comes down to how much motherfucking food you can put on the table"---Ice Cube

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2006, 01:32:30 pm »
Well it arrived.

So on the way home I bought a linksys gaming wireless gaming adapter.

Opened up the boxes – all fairly normal stuff – box, cables etc.
I linked up the box to the tv – then the gaming adapter to the box and switched it all on.
Got a signal from the box – it detected the cable (to the adapter) but couldn’t pick up the internet signal!! So I went all controversial and actually read the instructions that came with it. I’d forgotten to configure the wireless adapter!! D’oh. SO off to the basement (where one of my pc’s and the router live) and plug it in there and go through the set up facility.
To keep it brief I raqn into issues regarding the security on the wireless network – the linksys adapter I had uses a different type of security (128 bit) to the one I had set up on my Belkin router – I did fiddle around with it but couldn’t get it to pick up without either opening the router security – or having to exclude another one of my computers from the network – neither was a viable option.
So instead I moved the ITVN box to the basement and hardwired it to the router with no wireless adapter. It still wouldn’t work!!! Arrrgghh.  Tried a few things and failed! I finally had to call ITVN. Was answered immediately and talked to one of the tech guys – very helpful – knew exactly what to do (talked me through setting the ITVN box to fixed on one local IP address rather than pick up one automatically) and it was up and running less than 5 minutes after I phoned them.
Signal isn’t at all bad – one the top setting it runs at a speed of about 1meg – out of the 3m I average via broadband so still plenty of download speed available for VoIP and the computers. As mentioned the quality isn’t quite as good as the cable but perfectly watchable.
It is a realistic alternative for those that can’t get Setanta via any other route and as we’ll be on there a lot then $15 a month for this is well worth it.

I am taking the gaming adapter back tonight to the store – I then have to make a decision as to trying another wireless adapter (possible a belkin one that would work with the router!!) or grab a decent 50 foot Ethernet cable to run along side the TV cable and plug into the ITVN box so I can watch it in the comfort of my living room.. Not sure which to do yet.

Oh yeah – whilst talking to the techies at ITVN I did mention using wireless to run the box and they said that there is no reason why it shouldn’t work.

Re the recording bit – the output from the ITVN box runs the same way as any other bit of video equipment – straight wires to the TV. I haven’t set up mine to run through the surround sound yet but there is no reason that you couldn’t run it to a recorder – but I have not tried it yet..

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2006, 01:42:13 pm »
NHE..is it as good as E-season ticket visually?

You get controversial..nah ..never.....;D  :P

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2006, 02:23:30 pm »
NHE..is it as good as E-season ticket visually?

You get controversial..nah ..never.....;D  :P

I can’t compare it to the e-season ticket as I refused to pay money to the bunch of fuckwits that ran it.

Offline LFC2IDIE

• Boys Pen
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2006, 10:02:26 pm »
I've had the ITVN box for a week now and I'm very happy with it.  I haven't tried to use it with a wireless connection.  The quality is not HDTV standard or anything like that buts its very very watchable.

When you consider for only $15 a month I think its well worth it.  Obviously you get other games aswell.

This week for instance I watched the liverpool game at 06.30.  Then there were 2 games on at 9.  one game on Setanta and one on FSC.  I put my ITVN box straight into the TV instead of through my receiver and could watch one game fully and the other on my Picture in Picture and swap between them both for goals and stuff.  Was fooking great to be able to watch 2 games at once.

There is also alot of other sports on their like rugby etc. 

I give it a big thumbs up.

Offline americanscouser

• Main Stander
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2006, 11:49:14 pm »
if i missed the answer i apologize, but has anyone who has the ivtn box been able to record a game either with their dvr or with something like windows media center?

Offline BrooklynRed05

• Main Stander
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2006, 05:35:18 pm »
My ITVN box just arrived!  As a supporter who only just yesterday learned what a router does, I will be the perfect test case on whether an everyday person can get this thing up and running.  Will report on the progress and will prove whether the signal is recordable.  Can't wait to head home from the office!

:D
"It all comes down to how much motherfucking food you can put on the table"---Ice Cube

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2006, 05:44:35 pm »
Good luck, BrooklynRed05 - definitely keep us posted! 

Think NewHampshire_Exile already answered people's question about "recordability" from the ITVN box.  It's just straight audio/video out from the box to your TV; no reason the wires can't go to a DVD Recorder or VCR first (and then just run wires the component's outputs to your TV). 

Offline redsouther

• Main Stander
  • Back on our @!#ing perch
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2006, 03:01:58 am »
Thanks for the info and updates.  I, too, am a Red in the US and I am sick of having to stream from all of these questionable sites to watch the matches.  I couldn't believe it when I first saw how few of our matches were being shown on FSC this season... :no

Of course I have cable, and really do not want to bother with satellite, so this post has been a huge help.   I've ordered the ITVN with Setanta package and hopefully will have it set up in time for the derby!
YNWA

Offline lfcny

• Boys Pen
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2006, 10:41:28 pm »
lfcny -

thanks for the effort in your report. Please keep us posted over the next couple of weeks as to how the service holds up.

Thanks!

Quasimodo - still working well - tried each of the interface cables from the box to the telly (Composite, Component and S-Video) and didn't see much of a difference in quality, so the cable that you get with it should be good enough. Really happy with the purchase.

Offline quasimodo

• Kopite
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2006, 11:04:06 pm »
Quasimodo - still working well - tried each of the interface cables from the box to the telly (Composite, Component and S-Video) and didn't see much of a difference in quality, so the cable that you get with it should be good enough. Really happy with the purchase.
Thanks again. I ordered it last weekend so it should be here on Friday. Since it's 30 days and money back if it doesn't work it's worth a try. I'll post on here with the results.

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2006, 11:17:55 pm »
Can anyone describe how the image looks or take a screen shot of it?  Is is similar to the internet streaming video you get off the P2P sites, i.e. slightly blocky video, occasionally the ball disappears when they do wide shots, occasional after effect images behind a moving object, etc..  Is is similar to video streamed at 350-450k?

I have been able to get both our league games with English commentary off P2P really easily.  If the image quality on this is the same I just may stay with P2P and deal with the extra 15 minutes of searching for a good stream.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 11:22:13 pm by mjjason »

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2006, 01:47:02 am »
BrooklynRed05 where abouts are you I live in Brooklyn also in Brooklyn Heights. From what I've read on the .tv forum the picture is the equivalent of cable tv
Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2006, 02:02:26 am »
Up here in the frozen north the Premiership continues on basic cable 3-4 games per weekend as usual.

(By frozen north I mean humidex of 47 degrees celcius.)

:wave
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline kizzak

• Main Stander
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2006, 03:01:54 am »
I got my itvn box in last Friday so I was able to catch the WHU match on it. It is not quite as good quality as cable TV is these days, but it is probably comparable to cable quality of sports programs 15-20 years ago.

Compared to internet streams: Up close there is certainly some pixelation as with the streaming, but it's high enough quality that unless you are very close to the TV screen (I'd say 3-6 feet) it should not be that big of a problem.

Using Component rather than composite made a negligible difference to my eyes (when component is on a 61" plasma HDTV and composite is on an older 32" CRT).

Basically if you don't want to/can't get satellite, this is the next best option available so long as you have a stable internet connection.

I'll see if I can find the composite video in converter I used to have for my video card at some point to make an excerpt as an example.

Offline IRWT

• Boys Pen
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2006, 03:08:22 am »
Jeez. the easier options for NYC/Hoboken chaps is to get in Nevada Smiths/ Mulligans and watch the game with bevvies. I watched the WHU match at home and was shaking by the time it ended. I need beer to watch such matches.

Offline kizzak

• Main Stander
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2006, 03:14:46 am »
Jeez. the easier options for NYC/Hoboken chaps is to get in Nevada Smiths/ Mulligans and watch the game with bevvies. I watched the WHU match at home and was shaking by the time it ended. I need beer to watch such matches.

If I knew anywhere on the south-side of ATL that played setanta I might try the same :(

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2006, 03:30:31 am »
For those setting their box up..are you using decent brand cables or the "standard" red/white/yellow type.

because switching to better cables makes a world of difference in picture quality.

personal preference is Monster Cable brand. Even if you get their 100 series, which is the cheapest, you should see a better reception with component or S video type. If you plan on hooking the sound up through your stereo, you'll need the audio ones as well. If your just listening through the tv speakers better audio cables will help but not to the same degree through a stereo system due to the limitations of tv speakers ( even if they are "stereo")

Try Amazon.com for some decent deals on cables. Just bought some interlink optical audio cables through them and paid half of what Best Buy, Circuit City and the like sell them for. (ILS-200 1 meter)

Offline jwbuonopane

• Kemlynite
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2006, 03:42:04 am »
Any Boston area Reds (that have yet to fork $ to Setanta) are more than welcome to join a solid group of Reds at The Banshee Pub in Dorchester, specifically @ 934 Dorchester Ave..

All Premiership & CLeague matches are shown live

There is no cover with quality pints/breakfast!

Also home to all Celtic FC games.. :o
YNWA in Boston

Wii Console- 2566 8957 0733 7942

Offline liverpoolynwa

• Hammer Time
  • Legacy Fan
  • well you've won twice but, we've won it five times
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2006, 05:48:10 am »
Or the Phoenix Landing in Cambridge...
Me dad reckons he was in the Kop when it was recorded so says he's sang for Pink Floyd. ;)

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2006, 06:26:08 am »
If I knew anywhere on the south-side of ATL that played setanta I might try the same :(

how far south?

setanta is all over the place in the highlands and Midtown.

as for Peachtree City...

hmm... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline jwbuonopane

• Kemlynite
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2006, 12:50:49 pm »
Or the Phoenix Landing in Cambridge...

Ahh good to know

do they show every LFC game without fail?

I assume they have flat screens?  how is the scene there?

what stop off the red line is the Phoenix?

Owner of The Banshee is a Red so it is never an issue there..

YNWA in Boston

Wii Console- 2566 8957 0733 7942

Offline brightonpete

• Kopite
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2006, 02:16:54 pm »
the phoenix landing is a reds bar,its near the central square t stop.we get a good turn out but the 7.45 start is keeping numbers down.lazy bastards can't get out of bed.

Offline BrooklynRed05

• Main Stander
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2006, 03:42:41 pm »
rlpolobear9, I am a bit inland of you...Prospect Heights/Park Slope.

I got the box last Friday, and with a bit of help getting my new router configured it was up and running for the WHU match.  As an Optimum Online customer my biggest problem was that even at 7:30 am running the stream at the highest quality lead to instances of buffering so I had to drop down one click on the quality rendering any improvement I might notice with component video cables moot.  The picture is a bit pixelated when wide shots are shown, but close ups of players were clear.  Recorded through my DVR with no loss of picture quality.  Although I do watch a good bit of LFC matches down the pub, I am happy to spend the $$ to be able to record the matches or have the option to sleep in if the night before the game runs a bit late.

It seems odd to have this bit of equipment that sits unused for weeks at a time and essentially is a Liverpool FC TV receiver...unless of course I wish to watch wonderful programs like "Soul of Chelsea: John Terry"  ::)